• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:27
CEST 05:27
KST 12:27
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2317
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9796 users

Buy Mac or PC laptop? - Page 11

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All
Pressure
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
7326 Posts
June 12 2010 01:30 GMT
#201
get pc
i bought a macbook recently (pc user before) and although it has its cool gimmicks and stuff like Spaces and the trackpad being cool with 2-3-4 finger combos... the PC is way cheaper and more practical. unless you're a big musician or anything then you'll need a macbook
Insanious
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada1251 Posts
June 12 2010 01:44 GMT
#202
To fix the battery life problem, see if the company that sells your laptop offers 12cell batteries.

I have a 12 cell for my HP laptop and I NEVER run out of battery (well after 6hours of HEAVY use).

12 Cell is about $200, you can buy a decent laptop for $800. Wont be able to run a tonne of games though... but well will run low end games (at least you can get a graphics card which isn't on board .)

Would recommend:
- Toshiba
- Sony
- Samsung
- Dell

all usually give nice laptops without a lot of the HP problems.

Although, with HP if you just want to do a fresh install of Windows 7 as soon as you buy it, then it will run beautifully.
If you want to help me out... http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=4b82744b816d3
st3roids
Profile Joined June 2010
Greece538 Posts
June 12 2010 01:53 GMT
#203
I recently bought ( well not so recently around 6 months but nvm)

An i7 + ati 5870 + 8 giga ram @1880mhz + HD 500gb + coolmaster haf + 24inch lg monitor + gigabyte ga 58 ud5p for less than 1500 euro which curently should be like 1700 dollars.

to get a mac like that you will need like 5k , is just fancy overhyped overpriced products which thanx to public ignorance about pcs in general + plus great marketing + steve jobs manage to be currently no1 in stock market even bypassing microsoft.

Do they worth the money ? absolutely not , get a pc which you will make by ur self not a premade one .
Warrior Madness
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
Canada3791 Posts
June 12 2010 01:55 GMT
#204
What the commercials, be informed then decide.
The Past: Yellow, Julyzerg, Chojja, Savior, GGplay -- The Present: Luxury, Jae- The Future: -Dong, maGma, Zero, Effort, Hoejja, hyvaa, by.hero, calm, Action ---> SC2 (Ret?? Kolll Idra!! SEN, Cool, ZergBong, Leenock)
sqwert
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States781 Posts
June 12 2010 02:01 GMT
#205
get a netbook for school and portability, desktop for home and heavy use. combined will cost way fewer than a macbook. netbooks are more portable and lighter, and desktops may be more powerful than macbooks.

but ye once i used apples 1 button mouse back in grade school, ive always thought bad about macs in general.
if everythings coming your way, youre in the wrong lane. sAviOr 4evar!
Lexpar
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
1813 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-12 02:08:40
June 12 2010 02:07 GMT
#206
As laptops are basically locked boxes anyway, the biggest disadvantage of going with mac is already tossed out the window.

With the mactops you can't really go wrong... They're all the same high quality product with different inner gutsy bits. Shopping windows is more of a minefield: crappy builds, product defects, over heating (refer to my post here for more info on why the heat is especially bad) could all be issues that you face with just any old laptop. If I had the money, being a sworn windows desktop user, I would go apple for sure.
ckw
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States1018 Posts
June 12 2010 02:24 GMT
#207
My father own a very pricey Mac laptop and I own a PC laptop that is half the price. Also, the good thing about PC's is BUILDING ONE! I built my computer and my laptop to my custom specs and bought all the parts separate from newegg.com. Build your own rig for sure, that way you can skimp on things you don't really need and pay the extra cash to the things you do need. If things change, upgrade your components. Mac lovers keep hating but you cant do that.
Being weak is a choice.
greg098
Profile Joined July 2010
United States13 Posts
July 13 2010 23:16 GMT
#208
Macs are amazing buy a mac i never hear fans and love my mac just get a mouse fix a couple of settings and your good.
ArvickHero
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
10387 Posts
July 13 2010 23:24 GMT
#209
Meh, I tried out a mac and I found it to be terribly overpriced for nothing truly special. I would stick to a normal laptop that has a decent battery life, some friends I know have Windows laptops that can go on for 6-8 hours.
Writerptrk
DFarce
Profile Joined July 2010
55 Posts
July 13 2010 23:50 GMT
#210
I'm for PC.

I understand the Mac argument, but I find that my lenovo T400 leaves little to be desired.

Its durable (magnesium allow chassis, Lenovo has a very good service record)
Its powerful (Core 2 duo 2.53GHz)
It runs everything I want it to run, or ever will want it to run
Windows 7 is as fast as any Mac

My main argument for PC over Mac is that you can troubleshoot problems on a PC, where as on a mac it is much more difficult.

As well, if you are looking at a windows netbook, the battery life will dominate that of a mac. I think that Mac's only have longer battery life (IF that's actually true) because they use lower power parts meaning less performance.

+1 for PC
Coca Cola Classic
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
266 Posts
July 13 2010 23:50 GMT
#211
i have a mac and I am thoroughly pleased with it. while it is true that macs are expensive, it's versatility is unmatched. if you want to play games on it, like most people visiting tl, install windows with your student discount. i basically have two computers in one and i love it. i cannot express how easy this makes my life. at first i was skeptical about spending money on a mac, but my job required it (programs native to mac, some security program etc). i have not regretted my purchase.
안녕하세요~~
Potato21
Profile Joined July 2010
Canada7 Posts
July 14 2010 00:02 GMT
#212
I'm planning on buying an ASUS U30Jc since its got good battery life, is fairly well priced, and still has a dedicated graphics card. Even if I find something else, I wont get a mac. My sister has one and its alright, but I don't think the price is justifiable, and I personally don't like OSX's interface that much, too used to PC's I think.

That may be something to consider, have you thought about which OS you prefer?

Because unless you REALLY prefer OSX, then there's very little incentive that I see to get a mac. There are a lot of PC laptops with great battery life, better components, and a fraction of the price of a mac.
dukethegold
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada5645 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-14 00:15:04
July 14 2010 00:12 GMT
#213
Definitely PC.

Mac is really meant for the tech-retarded, prefer to use money to solve problem without bothering to do any research.

PC is more cost efficient in all aspects. I am sure that other posters have already listed all the pros that PC has over Mac prior to me, so no need for me to go into details.

If you want battery power, there are a lot of laptops out there designed for portability and battery life and offer more processing and graphic power than its MAC counterpart at a cheaper price.

Mac is simply packaged better than your average PC. No need to install any additional programs. More user friendly so to speak.
Subversion
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
South Africa3627 Posts
July 14 2010 04:20 GMT
#214
To be honest, the for what your money gets you, PC is light years ahead. Macs are so overpriced I don't how the hell they can justify it.

Also, better compatibility.
TanGeng
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Sanya12364 Posts
July 14 2010 04:35 GMT
#215
So Macs are overpriced. I paid for one and I have to admit, I have I bought it because I had more money than I could spend. Now I've just gotten used to the OS so I might get another one. It's going to be like 1700 for a 15 inch which would be double a comparable PC one.

I'd get a pre built linux on though. I'd have to look into that.
Moderator我们是个踏实的赞助商模式俱乐部
butasama
Profile Joined June 2010
Japan14 Posts
July 14 2010 06:25 GMT
#216
I voted for pc. There are a lot of reasons, and I think they have been repeated enough already..
As for which laptop, I'd vote for a HP envy 15 or 14, depending on how big screen or actual size you prefer. The reason would be - it looks great (no daddy's-boy-mac-owner can diss you for owning it), - it's solid! (aluminium case/frame) - it runs cool, - has decent battery life, - it's very light -has a good screen (which I feel is crucial if you are going to be using it a lot studying, make sure u get a 1920x1680 resolution) - it runs SC2 with ease.

note: it does not have cd-rom, but media stored on cd/DVD is phasing out, and I bet you can download it digitally/copy it to a portable media drive and install it from there.

The worst outcrop of herd life, the military system, which I abhor... This plague-spot of civilization ought to be abolished with all possible speed. -Albert Einstein
Grond
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
599 Posts
July 14 2010 06:30 GMT
#217
Your impressions are a little off the mark. If you get an equivalent PC laptop with equivalent support the price is about the same. The flash issue you mentioned is due to Adobe doing a terrible job with the Mac version of flash which is why Apple didn't support it for the Ipad. There are PC laptops available that are far cheaper than Macs but don't expect the hardware to be as reliable and be prepared to do your own support.
butasama
Profile Joined June 2010
Japan14 Posts
July 14 2010 06:53 GMT
#218
@Grond isnt mac and laptop hardware the same? I've been seeing intel macs for a while now.. (since core2duo came out?) how fast manufacturer repairs defects and ship it back to you varies, but they are all pretty darn slow.. Don't know about apple though..
As for software, knowing how to remove / install drivers&software should be common knowledge for anyone who owns a computer if you ask me. It's like putting fuel'n oil in your car once in a while. M'kay? Obey mr.handpuppet!!
The worst outcrop of herd life, the military system, which I abhor... This plague-spot of civilization ought to be abolished with all possible speed. -Albert Einstein
EpiK
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
Korea (South)5757 Posts
July 14 2010 06:56 GMT
#219
I'm a macbook user, and I'm going to say go with the PC.

Like others have said there is really no valid reason to get a mac. I don't even know why there's a discussion about this. A PC is just way more practical, cheaper, and better for school. The only real thing going for macs is that they're slick-looking, light and have good battery life.
phosphorylation
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2935 Posts
July 14 2010 06:59 GMT
#220
So, does any one have a LEGIT reason for buying a mac over PC? If we are talking desktops, battery life isn't even an issue.
I can't believe how many students use macs (over 90 percent) in my school, a university that the "really smart" kids go to.
Buy prints of my photographs at Redbubble -> http://www.redbubble.com/people/shoenberg3
Prev 1 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
QMC Community Tournament 1
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 188
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 1911
GuemChi 1420
NotJumperer 154
910 73
Bale 27
ajuk12(nOOB) 17
Terrorterran 10
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm186
febbydoto13
Counter-Strike
taco 458
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King35
Other Games
summit1g7656
Doublelift1884
JimRising 612
C9.Mang0322
PiGStarcraft291
WinterStarcraft257
Maynarde119
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick992
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream26
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Letter1412
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo691
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
6h 33m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
7h 33m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
20h 33m
Patches Events
1d 12h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.