• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:20
CEST 09:20
KST 16:20
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War605.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
TL Sidebar missing streams Rollback Netcode in Brood War Sagi.gg Launcher Released BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8450 users

Deus Ex 3!? - Page 61

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 59 60 61 62 63 76 Next
Bleak
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Turkey3059 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-05 11:43:35
September 05 2011 11:40 GMT
#1201
On September 05 2011 20:22 Jibba wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 05 2011 15:13 Doodsmack wrote:
Jibba man, your standards for video games are way too high LOL. At first I was sorta taking your criticisms seriously but then you said GTA4 didn't have a good story so I knew you're probably one of those people who points out the negativity in everything. Otherwise you wouldn't point out that GTA4's story is only good for video games, as if it's not incredibly obvious that books and movies have the potential to tell much more powerful stories than video games.
It's the exact opposite. Good writers just don't work on video games yet. That's why someone like Metzen can be considered a premier writer in the world of video games. As for the rest, I think I'm better off with standards that are too high than the other way around, broseidon.


As much as I love all Blizzard games and Metzen (cool guy), I think lately, their game stories (Starcraft 2 so far) have become too cliche, I mean, like, Prophecy? Chosen One, Impending doom and one person to stop it? Fighting against all odds? Starcraft 2 story was really poor.

KOTOR's writing was superb, Witcher games have great stories (but then, they are inspired by a real book series, so), ME series have a great story with super, super presentation. Assassin's Creed 2 had a mindblowing story (I really enjoyed the ties to realworld events and things, like religions and prophets, and corporations)
"I am a beacon of knowledge blazing out across a black sea of ignorance. "
Candadar
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
2049 Posts
September 05 2011 13:12 GMT
#1202
On September 05 2011 20:40 Bleak wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 05 2011 20:22 Jibba wrote:
On September 05 2011 15:13 Doodsmack wrote:
Jibba man, your standards for video games are way too high LOL. At first I was sorta taking your criticisms seriously but then you said GTA4 didn't have a good story so I knew you're probably one of those people who points out the negativity in everything. Otherwise you wouldn't point out that GTA4's story is only good for video games, as if it's not incredibly obvious that books and movies have the potential to tell much more powerful stories than video games.
It's the exact opposite. Good writers just don't work on video games yet. That's why someone like Metzen can be considered a premier writer in the world of video games. As for the rest, I think I'm better off with standards that are too high than the other way around, broseidon.


KOTOR's writing was superb, Witcher games have great stories (but then, they are inspired by a real book series, so), ME series have a great story with super, super presentation. Assassin's Creed 2 had a mindblowing story


Pfffffftahahahahahahahahah

The fact that you not only mention one, but TWO Bioware games' story just nullifies your entire post. Take a gander at the following chart. No, Bioware games did not start sucking after DA2 -- they have ALWAYS been the same.

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


That's exactly why Witcher 2's story was good, it was based off of a real writers. Assassin's Creed 2? I'm laughing even harder. I mean yeah, it caught me off guard and was actually pretty nice before it took a turn at Main St. and Banana's at the end of the first one. Magical Orbs that show artifacts around the worlds? Everyone you knew was secretly Assassins? LOLALIENS? I'll repeat it again, FUCKING ALIENS? Time traveling or some shit now? The story is just pants on head retarded.

I know it's slightly off topic, and I know I said Deus Ex had a good story, but I meant it as Jibba said. It's good in terms of a video game story. Which, to quote the good ol' Noob Effect video, comparing the best book writers to the best video game writers is like comparing Kobe Bryant's penis to that of a poorly endowed tit mouse.
procyonlotor
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy473 Posts
September 05 2011 13:34 GMT
#1203
On September 05 2011 22:12 Candadar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 05 2011 20:40 Bleak wrote:
On September 05 2011 20:22 Jibba wrote:
On September 05 2011 15:13 Doodsmack wrote:
Jibba man, your standards for video games are way too high LOL. At first I was sorta taking your criticisms seriously but then you said GTA4 didn't have a good story so I knew you're probably one of those people who points out the negativity in everything. Otherwise you wouldn't point out that GTA4's story is only good for video games, as if it's not incredibly obvious that books and movies have the potential to tell much more powerful stories than video games.
It's the exact opposite. Good writers just don't work on video games yet. That's why someone like Metzen can be considered a premier writer in the world of video games. As for the rest, I think I'm better off with standards that are too high than the other way around, broseidon.


KOTOR's writing was superb, Witcher games have great stories (but then, they are inspired by a real book series, so), ME series have a great story with super, super presentation. Assassin's Creed 2 had a mindblowing story


Pfffffftahahahahahahahahah

The fact that you not only mention one, but TWO Bioware games' story just nullifies your entire post. Take a gander at the following chart. No, Bioware games did not start sucking after DA2 -- they have ALWAYS been the same.

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


That's exactly why Witcher 2's story was good, it was based off of a real writers. Assassin's Creed 2? I'm laughing even harder. I mean yeah, it caught me off guard and was actually pretty nice before it took a turn at Main St. and Banana's at the end of the first one. Magical Orbs that show artifacts around the worlds? Everyone you knew was secretly Assassins? LOLALIENS? I'll repeat it again, FUCKING ALIENS? Time traveling or some shit now? The story is just pants on head retarded.

I know it's slightly off topic, and I know I said Deus Ex had a good story, but I meant it as Jibba said. It's good in terms of a video game story. Which, to quote the good ol' Noob Effect video, comparing the best book writers to the best video game writers is like comparing Kobe Bryant's penis to that of a poorly endowed tit mouse.


+1

Also, I'd like to add that The Witcher series' narrative has always fallen apart the more you played it. This is true for The Witcher 2 in particular, which starts out very strong and ends up wiping its nose at us.

In any case, I don't think it's fair to compare mediums. The way video game development works it's hard for a writer to perform properly, and even if he does produce truly great material chances are the narrative will still be hindered by the developers' particular design philosophy.
hugman
Profile Joined June 2009
Sweden4644 Posts
September 05 2011 13:59 GMT
#1204
On September 05 2011 22:12 Candadar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 05 2011 20:40 Bleak wrote:
On September 05 2011 20:22 Jibba wrote:
On September 05 2011 15:13 Doodsmack wrote:
Jibba man, your standards for video games are way too high LOL. At first I was sorta taking your criticisms seriously but then you said GTA4 didn't have a good story so I knew you're probably one of those people who points out the negativity in everything. Otherwise you wouldn't point out that GTA4's story is only good for video games, as if it's not incredibly obvious that books and movies have the potential to tell much more powerful stories than video games.
It's the exact opposite. Good writers just don't work on video games yet. That's why someone like Metzen can be considered a premier writer in the world of video games. As for the rest, I think I'm better off with standards that are too high than the other way around, broseidon.


KOTOR's writing was superb, Witcher games have great stories (but then, they are inspired by a real book series, so), ME series have a great story with super, super presentation. Assassin's Creed 2 had a mindblowing story


Pfffffftahahahahahahahahah

The fact that you not only mention one, but TWO Bioware games' story just nullifies your entire post. Take a gander at the following chart. No, Bioware games did not start sucking after DA2 -- they have ALWAYS been the same.

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Being reductionist is not good critique. There are only a handful of stories that all mediums reuse over and over. That's okay because what makes them interesting is the storytelling, not some bullet points you write down in a spreadsheet. You can break down any story like that, which goes back to my first point.
Candadar
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
2049 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-05 15:18:08
September 05 2011 15:15 GMT
#1205
On September 05 2011 22:59 hugman wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 05 2011 22:12 Candadar wrote:
On September 05 2011 20:40 Bleak wrote:
On September 05 2011 20:22 Jibba wrote:
On September 05 2011 15:13 Doodsmack wrote:
Jibba man, your standards for video games are way too high LOL. At first I was sorta taking your criticisms seriously but then you said GTA4 didn't have a good story so I knew you're probably one of those people who points out the negativity in everything. Otherwise you wouldn't point out that GTA4's story is only good for video games, as if it's not incredibly obvious that books and movies have the potential to tell much more powerful stories than video games.
It's the exact opposite. Good writers just don't work on video games yet. That's why someone like Metzen can be considered a premier writer in the world of video games. As for the rest, I think I'm better off with standards that are too high than the other way around, broseidon.


KOTOR's writing was superb, Witcher games have great stories (but then, they are inspired by a real book series, so), ME series have a great story with super, super presentation. Assassin's Creed 2 had a mindblowing story


Pfffffftahahahahahahahahah

The fact that you not only mention one, but TWO Bioware games' story just nullifies your entire post. Take a gander at the following chart. No, Bioware games did not start sucking after DA2 -- they have ALWAYS been the same.

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Being reductionist is not good critique. There are only a handful of stories that all mediums reuse over and over. That's okay because what makes them interesting is the storytelling, not some bullet points you write down in a spreadsheet. You can break down any story like that, which goes back to my first point.


You can break down any story to the shit listed in that chart? Did you even read it? Bioware writes the same story for every single one of their games but with slight variations in name and skin. I don't give a fuck about storytelling if I'm playing the same story every single game.

Your point initially was that KOTOR and Mass Effect are well written stories. Anyone who has read a book greater than a 1st grade level laughs at how fucking stupid that is and anyone who has played any amount of their games ever (Kotor, DA:O, Mass Effect, Baldurs Gate, NWN personally) knows that they are all the same fucking story in principle. They are the definition of cliche.

Their name has no place in describing what a good game story is. The likes of Witcher / The Witcher 2 (despite how bad TW2 gets at the end), Deus Ex: HR, System Shock, and so forth are examples of well written game stories. Not Bioware games.

Also, I'm Hungry.
Lachrymose
Profile Joined February 2008
Australia1928 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-05 15:40:08
September 05 2011 15:32 GMT
#1206
On September 06 2011 00:15 Candadar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 05 2011 22:59 hugman wrote:
On September 05 2011 22:12 Candadar wrote:
On September 05 2011 20:40 Bleak wrote:
On September 05 2011 20:22 Jibba wrote:
On September 05 2011 15:13 Doodsmack wrote:
Jibba man, your standards for video games are way too high LOL. At first I was sorta taking your criticisms seriously but then you said GTA4 didn't have a good story so I knew you're probably one of those people who points out the negativity in everything. Otherwise you wouldn't point out that GTA4's story is only good for video games, as if it's not incredibly obvious that books and movies have the potential to tell much more powerful stories than video games.
It's the exact opposite. Good writers just don't work on video games yet. That's why someone like Metzen can be considered a premier writer in the world of video games. As for the rest, I think I'm better off with standards that are too high than the other way around, broseidon.


KOTOR's writing was superb, Witcher games have great stories (but then, they are inspired by a real book series, so), ME series have a great story with super, super presentation. Assassin's Creed 2 had a mindblowing story


Pfffffftahahahahahahahahah

The fact that you not only mention one, but TWO Bioware games' story just nullifies your entire post. Take a gander at the following chart. No, Bioware games did not start sucking after DA2 -- they have ALWAYS been the same.

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Being reductionist is not good critique. There are only a handful of stories that all mediums reuse over and over. That's okay because what makes them interesting is the storytelling, not some bullet points you write down in a spreadsheet. You can break down any story like that, which goes back to my first point.


You can break down any story to the shit listed in that chart? Did you even read it? Bioware writes the same story for every single one of their games but with slight variations in name and skin. I don't give a fuck about storytelling if I'm playing the same story every single game.

Your point initially was that KOTOR and Mass Effect are well written stories. Anyone who has read a book greater than a 1st grade level laughs at how fucking stupid that is and anyone who has played any amount of their games ever (Kotor, DA:O, Mass Effect, Baldurs Gate, NWN personally) knows that they are all the same fucking story in principle. They are the definition of cliche.

Their name has no place in describing what a good game story is. The likes of Witcher / The Witcher 2 (despite how bad TW2 gets at the end), Deus Ex: HR, System Shock, and so forth are examples of well written game stories. Not Bioware games.

Also, I'm Hungry.


Being the same story does not preclude the story from being well written (nor save it from being poorly written, equally) in any particular instance. The story being a cliche or samey does not stop it from having fantastic set pieces or scenarios.

Both The Witcher 2 and Deus Ex: HR fall apart pretty badly toward the end, not only in story but particularly in presentation.
~
Candadar
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
2049 Posts
September 05 2011 15:48 GMT
#1207
On September 06 2011 00:32 Lachrymose wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 06 2011 00:15 Candadar wrote:
On September 05 2011 22:59 hugman wrote:
On September 05 2011 22:12 Candadar wrote:
On September 05 2011 20:40 Bleak wrote:
On September 05 2011 20:22 Jibba wrote:
On September 05 2011 15:13 Doodsmack wrote:
Jibba man, your standards for video games are way too high LOL. At first I was sorta taking your criticisms seriously but then you said GTA4 didn't have a good story so I knew you're probably one of those people who points out the negativity in everything. Otherwise you wouldn't point out that GTA4's story is only good for video games, as if it's not incredibly obvious that books and movies have the potential to tell much more powerful stories than video games.
It's the exact opposite. Good writers just don't work on video games yet. That's why someone like Metzen can be considered a premier writer in the world of video games. As for the rest, I think I'm better off with standards that are too high than the other way around, broseidon.


KOTOR's writing was superb, Witcher games have great stories (but then, they are inspired by a real book series, so), ME series have a great story with super, super presentation. Assassin's Creed 2 had a mindblowing story


Pfffffftahahahahahahahahah

The fact that you not only mention one, but TWO Bioware games' story just nullifies your entire post. Take a gander at the following chart. No, Bioware games did not start sucking after DA2 -- they have ALWAYS been the same.

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Being reductionist is not good critique. There are only a handful of stories that all mediums reuse over and over. That's okay because what makes them interesting is the storytelling, not some bullet points you write down in a spreadsheet. You can break down any story like that, which goes back to my first point.


You can break down any story to the shit listed in that chart? Did you even read it? Bioware writes the same story for every single one of their games but with slight variations in name and skin. I don't give a fuck about storytelling if I'm playing the same story every single game.

Your point initially was that KOTOR and Mass Effect are well written stories. Anyone who has read a book greater than a 1st grade level laughs at how fucking stupid that is and anyone who has played any amount of their games ever (Kotor, DA:O, Mass Effect, Baldurs Gate, NWN personally) knows that they are all the same fucking story in principle. They are the definition of cliche.

Their name has no place in describing what a good game story is. The likes of Witcher / The Witcher 2 (despite how bad TW2 gets at the end), Deus Ex: HR, System Shock, and so forth are examples of well written game stories. Not Bioware games.

Also, I'm Hungry.


Being the same story does not preclude the story from being well written (nor save it from being poorly written, equally) in any particular instance. The story being a cliche or samey does not stop it from having fantastic set pieces or scenarios.

Both The Witcher 2 and Deus Ex: HR fall apart pretty badly toward the end, not only in story but particularly in presentation.


The story being cliche DOES make it poorly written. What the hell are you smoking?
Candadar
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
2049 Posts
September 05 2011 16:21 GMT
#1208


This guy is a fucking genius.
kheldorin
Profile Joined April 2010
Singapore539 Posts
September 05 2011 16:39 GMT
#1209
On September 06 2011 00:48 Candadar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 06 2011 00:32 Lachrymose wrote:
On September 06 2011 00:15 Candadar wrote:
On September 05 2011 22:59 hugman wrote:
On September 05 2011 22:12 Candadar wrote:
On September 05 2011 20:40 Bleak wrote:
On September 05 2011 20:22 Jibba wrote:
On September 05 2011 15:13 Doodsmack wrote:
Jibba man, your standards for video games are way too high LOL. At first I was sorta taking your criticisms seriously but then you said GTA4 didn't have a good story so I knew you're probably one of those people who points out the negativity in everything. Otherwise you wouldn't point out that GTA4's story is only good for video games, as if it's not incredibly obvious that books and movies have the potential to tell much more powerful stories than video games.
It's the exact opposite. Good writers just don't work on video games yet. That's why someone like Metzen can be considered a premier writer in the world of video games. As for the rest, I think I'm better off with standards that are too high than the other way around, broseidon.


KOTOR's writing was superb, Witcher games have great stories (but then, they are inspired by a real book series, so), ME series have a great story with super, super presentation. Assassin's Creed 2 had a mindblowing story


Pfffffftahahahahahahahahah

The fact that you not only mention one, but TWO Bioware games' story just nullifies your entire post. Take a gander at the following chart. No, Bioware games did not start sucking after DA2 -- they have ALWAYS been the same.

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Being reductionist is not good critique. There are only a handful of stories that all mediums reuse over and over. That's okay because what makes them interesting is the storytelling, not some bullet points you write down in a spreadsheet. You can break down any story like that, which goes back to my first point.


You can break down any story to the shit listed in that chart? Did you even read it? Bioware writes the same story for every single one of their games but with slight variations in name and skin. I don't give a fuck about storytelling if I'm playing the same story every single game.

Your point initially was that KOTOR and Mass Effect are well written stories. Anyone who has read a book greater than a 1st grade level laughs at how fucking stupid that is and anyone who has played any amount of their games ever (Kotor, DA:O, Mass Effect, Baldurs Gate, NWN personally) knows that they are all the same fucking story in principle. They are the definition of cliche.

Their name has no place in describing what a good game story is. The likes of Witcher / The Witcher 2 (despite how bad TW2 gets at the end), Deus Ex: HR, System Shock, and so forth are examples of well written game stories. Not Bioware games.

Also, I'm Hungry.


Being the same story does not preclude the story from being well written (nor save it from being poorly written, equally) in any particular instance. The story being a cliche or samey does not stop it from having fantastic set pieces or scenarios.

Both The Witcher 2 and Deus Ex: HR fall apart pretty badly toward the end, not only in story but particularly in presentation.


The story being cliche DOES make it poorly written. What the hell are you smoking?


No, it doesn't. If you know anything about storytelling, you'll know that EVERY story can be reduced to several archetypes. Archetypes != Cliche.

Bioware does have real writers. They produce books, novels, comics which are not limited by the Bioware universe. Their Star Wars books are considered as canon by the Star Wars universe. There's more to storytelling than just it's contents. Witcher 2 may have a good story but the way it is conveyed in the game is horrible. Game writing is a lot different than writing for books.

I liked the Deus Ex: HR's story but it could have been better presented at the end. Anyway, I don't feel that is fair to compare the 2 stories as they have different styles to them. Deus Ex concentrates more on the main character while Bioware tends to have a lot more depth in their cast of characters especially the companions. Bioware does a good job of making their characters diverse so that I'll always have a good sense of attachment to a few of then. In Deus Ex, there's no character I'm really fond of.

Deus Ex does give a good illusion that the choices does affect the game but in the end, it doesn't have a permanent impact or the choices converge. Bioware stories tend to have a lot of variables that are more permanent. You get not only the ending of the story but the ending of your companions as well. As a programmer, I have to say that their style is more complex to account for and I do feel that Bioware stories suffer somewhat because of having to handle all these branches. They try to satisfy everyone's version of the story at the expense of making a more soild story.
Candadar
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
2049 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-05 17:21:25
September 05 2011 17:19 GMT
#1210
On September 06 2011 01:39 kheldorin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 06 2011 00:48 Candadar wrote:
On September 06 2011 00:32 Lachrymose wrote:
On September 06 2011 00:15 Candadar wrote:
On September 05 2011 22:59 hugman wrote:
On September 05 2011 22:12 Candadar wrote:
On September 05 2011 20:40 Bleak wrote:
On September 05 2011 20:22 Jibba wrote:
On September 05 2011 15:13 Doodsmack wrote:
Jibba man, your standards for video games are way too high LOL. At first I was sorta taking your criticisms seriously but then you said GTA4 didn't have a good story so I knew you're probably one of those people who points out the negativity in everything. Otherwise you wouldn't point out that GTA4's story is only good for video games, as if it's not incredibly obvious that books and movies have the potential to tell much more powerful stories than video games.
It's the exact opposite. Good writers just don't work on video games yet. That's why someone like Metzen can be considered a premier writer in the world of video games. As for the rest, I think I'm better off with standards that are too high than the other way around, broseidon.


KOTOR's writing was superb, Witcher games have great stories (but then, they are inspired by a real book series, so), ME series have a great story with super, super presentation. Assassin's Creed 2 had a mindblowing story


Pfffffftahahahahahahahahah

The fact that you not only mention one, but TWO Bioware games' story just nullifies your entire post. Take a gander at the following chart. No, Bioware games did not start sucking after DA2 -- they have ALWAYS been the same.

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Being reductionist is not good critique. There are only a handful of stories that all mediums reuse over and over. That's okay because what makes them interesting is the storytelling, not some bullet points you write down in a spreadsheet. You can break down any story like that, which goes back to my first point.


You can break down any story to the shit listed in that chart? Did you even read it? Bioware writes the same story for every single one of their games but with slight variations in name and skin. I don't give a fuck about storytelling if I'm playing the same story every single game.

Your point initially was that KOTOR and Mass Effect are well written stories. Anyone who has read a book greater than a 1st grade level laughs at how fucking stupid that is and anyone who has played any amount of their games ever (Kotor, DA:O, Mass Effect, Baldurs Gate, NWN personally) knows that they are all the same fucking story in principle. They are the definition of cliche.

Their name has no place in describing what a good game story is. The likes of Witcher / The Witcher 2 (despite how bad TW2 gets at the end), Deus Ex: HR, System Shock, and so forth are examples of well written game stories. Not Bioware games.

Also, I'm Hungry.


Being the same story does not preclude the story from being well written (nor save it from being poorly written, equally) in any particular instance. The story being a cliche or samey does not stop it from having fantastic set pieces or scenarios.

Both The Witcher 2 and Deus Ex: HR fall apart pretty badly toward the end, not only in story but particularly in presentation.


The story being cliche DOES make it poorly written. What the hell are you smoking?


No, it doesn't. If you know anything about storytelling, you'll know that EVERY story can be reduced to several archetypes. Archetypes != Cliche.

Bioware does have real writers. They produce books, novels, comics which are not limited by the Bioware universe. Their Star Wars books are considered as canon by the Star Wars universe. There's more to storytelling than just it's contents. Witcher 2 may have a good story but the way it is conveyed in the game is horrible. Game writing is a lot different than writing for books.

I liked the Deus Ex: HR's story but it could have been better presented at the end. Anyway, I don't feel that is fair to compare the 2 stories as they have different styles to them. Deus Ex concentrates more on the main character while Bioware tends to have a lot more depth in their cast of characters especially the companions. Bioware does a good job of making their characters diverse so that I'll always have a good sense of attachment to a few of then. In Deus Ex, there's no character I'm really fond of.

Deus Ex does give a good illusion that the choices does affect the game but in the end, it doesn't have a permanent impact or the choices converge. Bioware stories tend to have a lot of variables that are more permanent. You get not only the ending of the story but the ending of your companions as well. As a programmer, I have to say that their style is more complex to account for and I do feel that Bioware stories suffer somewhat because of having to handle all these branches. They try to satisfy everyone's version of the story at the expense of making a more soild story.


First of all, Pritchard was awesome fuck you

And second, I'm starting to think you haven't really played a large number of Bioware games. There are not dozens of branches, it's all the same story reskinned. That's laziness. Sure, it may have been a pretty damn good story originally (As used in Baldurs Gate, Kotor, and even NWN arguably) but once it's done for the umptillionth time, it gets really fucking trite. It doesn't speak well for their current writers. Maybe for their old ones, but when their current ones are for intents and purposes outright copying the former writers, that means that they have no originality.

Nonetheless, this is not a Bioware game or a Bioware thread so let's not stray to that topic.
Senx
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Sweden5901 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-05 17:24:36
September 05 2011 17:24 GMT
#1211
Feel real empty after this game, no other games pull me in like deus ex 3 did. Anyone have any tips for epic action rpg games that pull you in?
"trash micro but win - its marine" MC commentary during HSC 4
Gnosis
Profile Joined December 2008
Scotland912 Posts
September 05 2011 18:06 GMT
#1212
On September 06 2011 02:24 Senx wrote:
Feel real empty after this game, no other games pull me in like deus ex 3 did. Anyone have any tips for epic action rpg games that pull you in?


The Witcher 2?

I played through until Henghsa, then re-started a no-kill / hard difficulty playthrough. I'm just before Hengsha again, and knowing where everything ... I'm floating in money and don't know where to put my extra praxis points Good thing I restarted now, because I would have lost interest if I had beaten the game first.
"Reason is flawless, de jure, but reasoners are not, de facto." – Peter Kreeft
Hakker
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1360 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-05 18:58:10
September 05 2011 18:56 GMT
#1213
On September 06 2011 02:24 Senx wrote:
Feel real empty after this game, no other games pull me in like deus ex 3 did. Anyone have any tips for epic action rpg games that pull you in?


Yeah man I felt the same way lol.

I never finished the original game, but I really wanted to after playing DXHR, So I was glad when I found this post on reddit.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/ceuyh/step_by_step_moddingguide_deus_ex_i_spilled_my/

Deus ex was released in 2000, but these mods make it easily passable for a 2004-2005 game, much more manageable on the eyes IMO.


Also this video is fucking hilarious
trifecta
Profile Joined April 2010
United States6795 Posts
September 05 2011 19:05 GMT
#1214
On September 06 2011 03:56 Hakker wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 06 2011 02:24 Senx wrote:
Feel real empty after this game, no other games pull me in like deus ex 3 did. Anyone have any tips for epic action rpg games that pull you in?


Yeah man I felt the same way lol.

I never finished the original game, but I really wanted to after playing DXHR, So I was glad when I found this post on reddit.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/ceuyh/step_by_step_moddingguide_deus_ex_i_spilled_my/

Deus ex was released in 2000, but these mods make it easily passable for a 2004-2005 game, much more manageable on the eyes IMO.


Also this video is fucking hilarious
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoFe8hRy42o&feature=player_embedded#!


+1 on that parody video of DX3 in DX1
hugman
Profile Joined June 2009
Sweden4644 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-05 19:22:51
September 05 2011 19:20 GMT
#1215
On September 06 2011 02:24 Senx wrote:
Feel real empty after this game, no other games pull me in like deus ex 3 did. Anyone have any tips for epic action rpg games that pull you in?


Mass Effect 2, The Witcher 2 in that order

Also, books. Try reading Dune.
Doodsmack
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States7224 Posts
September 05 2011 20:32 GMT
#1216
On September 05 2011 15:54 AKcommie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 05 2011 15:13 Doodsmack wrote:
Jibba man, your standards for video games are way too high LOL. At first I was sorta taking your criticisms seriously but then you said GTA4 didn't have a good story so I knew you're probably one of those people who points out the negativity in everything. Otherwise you wouldn't point out that GTA4's story is only good for video games, as if it's not incredibly obvious that books and movies have the potential to tell much more powerful stories than video games. You are basically saying "this is how good DXHR, and video games in general, would be in a perfect world." I mean, saying the weapon mods are generic? The takedown cinematics are cheesey? Wut? I thought both of those things were great - they even have a lock-on mod for the combat rifle, and they have multiple takedown cinematics, all of which are pretty damn cool. Actually the fact that there even are cinematics for takedowns is pretty damn cool. I think you need to lower your standards in general or you are going to be pretty disappointed in life, bro.

What?!? Video games allow the storyteller, the developers, to fully immerse the audience, player. How is this better then a move in which the audience has no interaction at all? Books are a little trickier because people have been writing books/ telling stories in a book-esque fashion for literally thousands of years, so they have more time to learn how to tell their story in their medium. Video games are, imo, a extremely unexplored story telling medium that isn't being really developed because gameplay itself is being more focused on in games, which isn't really a bad thing but it does hinder ones ability to tell a story if they are still figuring out the gameplay.




Um no, in the case of a book or movie all you do is get told a story, while in a video game the story is necessarily 50% or less of the experience because you have to play too. If a video game focuses too much on story it runs the risk of having excessive cutscenes ala Metal Gear Solid 2. Gameplay is what makes video games video games, so story will never be a priority. Anyways this is slightly beside the point. The real point I was making was that any claim that GTA4's story wasn't artistic is absurd.
Doodsmack
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States7224 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-05 20:35:38
September 05 2011 20:35 GMT
#1217
Anyone else see the news about the DLC coming in October? Sounds kinda cool, I didn't think that part of the story actually needed filling in though, because I thought Jensen was just in transit...
Zax19
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Czech Republic1136 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-05 22:03:05
September 05 2011 21:57 GMT
#1218
Oh, Nahtzee refference? Here you go, Yahtzee's take on DX1 :D. Hopefully DX3 soon .
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/4093-Deus-Ex
Really Blizz, really? - Darnell
Senx
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Sweden5901 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-05 23:10:02
September 05 2011 23:06 GMT
#1219
Also this is the only video game I've ever played that had a relevant and interesting story that I as a human can relate to.

That alone was a major point for me.

What ending did you choose and why?

+ Show Spoiler +
"trash micro but win - its marine" MC commentary during HSC 4
Hakker
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1360 Posts
September 05 2011 23:20 GMT
#1220
On September 06 2011 08:06 Senx wrote:
Also this is the only video game I've ever played that had a relevant and interesting story that I as a human can relate to.

That alone was a major point for me.

What ending did you choose and why?

+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DibJL1F6S5k


I chose the blow everything up. I felt like that one fit in best with the canon
Prev 1 59 60 61 62 63 76 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 40m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 4912
Leta 1755
Shuttle 1721
BeSt 416
Soma 153
Soulkey 115
sorry 51
ZergMaN 44
Shine 31
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm189
League of Legends
JimRising 600
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King55
Other Games
summit1g7521
WinterStarcraft742
Sick230
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV223
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Sammyuel 29
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2305
League of Legends
• Rush1238
• Lourlo1198
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2h 40m
Patches Events
7h 40m
BSL Open Qualifier
11h 40m
BSL Open Qualifier
11h 40m
OSC
15h 40m
OSC
1d 4h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.