• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:37
CEST 10:37
KST 17:37
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War435.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror TL Sidebar missing streams Bot on ladder Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9722 users

Deus Ex 3!? - Page 12

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 14 76 Next
DisaFear
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Australia4074 Posts
April 19 2011 09:28 GMT
#221
A step in the right direction, their response. I am happy
How devious | http://anartisticanswer.blogspot.com.au/
rabidch
Profile Joined January 2010
United States20289 Posts
April 19 2011 09:33 GMT
#222
On April 19 2011 14:11 viletomato wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 19 2011 12:00 Durak wrote:
On April 19 2011 11:26 rabidch wrote:
color scheme is so... bland, and i dont like automatic takedowns or less importantly the ladder climbing (the crouching is fine)

I think it has to do with the fact that it seems to be designed for consoles. I'm not just a ranting PC-enthusiast; hear me out.

When some games are designed for consoles, they are unnecessarily dumbed down. Based on the videos of Deus Ex 3 that I've seen (using the last two posted as reference), this game seems doomed to the same fate. What I mean is things such as:
1. Glowy. In a game that is based on exploring and playing it how you think it should go, the game points out every option to you (and in the trailer they seem limited but that's expected from most games) with hideous glowing objects that also destroy the atmosphere.

2. Takedowns. Unnecessarily long, perspective breaking, and superfluous action at the click of a button. I'm not really against one-hit kill buttons, Deus Ex had a taser, but that didn't bring you out of first person and didn't waste ten seconds of your time for a cinematic that is uncontrollable.

3. Cover. Taking cover ruins perspective because it takes you into third person and you can see around a corner while you character obviously can't. That's bad for immersion; you don't feel as if you're the character and your life is in danger. For example, Amnesia: The dark descent would be much less scary if you could toggle to third person.

4. Combat+Gameplay. You now heal quickly when not taking damage. Well, I guess that shows how your cover button is going to be used gratuitously in ranged combat too.

These aren't really problems caused by the input device itself. Deus Ex 3 could be released on console without all this junk but developers seem to want to cater to some retard audience, whether or not it's factually prevalent. I expect Valve to do an excellent job with Portal 2 on the consoles. If a complex physics-based game can be done on a console, I think a simple FPS can be as well.

Edit: If I posted this when I typed it I would have seen the post above mine. :D
Edit2: Yeah, without the highlighting it's a million times better. I still think the gameplay will suffer from the healing and other factors mentioned.
Edit3: I also know that Deus Ex had boxes over interactible objects. I would argue that it's not the same thing.


Some thoughts, although I thought up the same concerns previously, here are just some points to play devil's advocate.

Highlighting - see video above

Takedowns - yes it seems to be easy but when I think of it Deus Ex, it had the Dragon tooth, an upgraded one would shot everything in the game, enemies, doors, turrets, cameras, and a few for bots. I needed no other weapon, it was the most overpowered weapon because it required no ammo and virtually can go undetected with silent walk + cloak. At least in DX:HR Takedowns requires energy and thus you can't do it over and over. And if you really dislike it, you can always just not use it.

Cover - I agree, a lean would be far more immersive.

Health Regen - "You now heal quickly when not taking damage" Um no, this isn't like Halo regen takes quite a while. On hard it takes 29.412 seconds to fully regenerate health, that is an eternity the game world terms. In the game play video, 1 shot brought Adam to half life, this is not a walk in the park.

I've been following EM's development for the last 3 years and I have to say they have done a good job at trying to stay true to a successor. 40+hrs gameplay hours with all side quests, 20-25 without, can any FPS today even touch that? Anyways, my hopes are high that it'll be an amazing game.



you cant upgrade a dragon tooth sword, unless you're talking about hand combat skills and combat strength aug, and its inefficient with bots and things that explode on you. very excellent for a man named walton simon though (when you get close to him). it isnt a swiss army knife melee weapon either because its noisy. not to mention silent walk + cloak takes A LOT of energy unless you're using camo.
i dont mind takedowns THAT much but here they're just too flashy and this takes away from the 1st person immersion. i dont play deus ex so i can watch an action movie.

30 seconds isnt that long in deus ex. theres plenty of time you're just sitting around waiting for an opportune moment to do something


my main issue isnt actually the gameplay though. its those damn ugly graphics color tint i cant stand, does this guy year orange/yellow tinted sunglasses or something
LiquidDota StaffOnly a true king can play the King.
-Archangel-
Profile Joined May 2010
Croatia7457 Posts
April 19 2011 11:29 GMT
#223
On April 19 2011 12:00 Durak wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 19 2011 11:26 rabidch wrote:
color scheme is so... bland, and i dont like automatic takedowns or less importantly the ladder climbing (the crouching is fine)

I think it has to do with the fact that it seems to be designed for consoles. I'm not just a ranting PC-enthusiast; hear me out.

When some games are designed for consoles, they are unnecessarily dumbed down.

Can you expect more when dumb ass reviewers for consoles like the ones at IGN give MK9 8.0 because "in single player you need to sometimes fight more then one opponent at the time" or check this out "bosses do not follow the same rules as other combatants"?

If games are not dumbed down, then dumb ass reviewers will give it a low score and a kid will not buy it. Console games are expensive enough, why cash out for 8.0 game when you can buy a 9.0+ game
viletomato
Profile Joined June 2009
Canada277 Posts
April 19 2011 13:12 GMT
#224


[/QUOTE]
you cant upgrade a dragon tooth sword, unless you're talking about hand combat skills and combat strength aug, and its inefficient with bots and things that explode on you. very excellent for a man named walton simon though (when you get close to him). it isnt a swiss army knife melee weapon either because its noisy. not to mention silent walk + cloak takes A LOT of energy unless you're using camo.
i dont mind takedowns THAT much but here they're just too flashy and this takes away from the 1st person immersion. i dont play deus ex so i can watch an action movie.

30 seconds isnt that long in deus ex. theres plenty of time you're just sitting around waiting for an opportune moment to do something


my main issue isnt actually the gameplay though. its those damn ugly graphics color tint i cant stand, does this guy year orange/yellow tinted sunglasses or something[/QUOTE]



Yes I was referring to skills and the aug as the 'upgrade'. It is true that it drains a lot of energy without the energy aug but I always used the upped aug power recirculator which made the drain minimal - especially when it only takes a few seconds to chop down enemies in the room. To me it was the swiss army knife, noise wasn't a factor.

As I said takedowns are totally optional if you don't want to watch a movie don't do it obviously. -__-
Tomatoes, the king of fruits
Boblion
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
France8043 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-19 14:23:06
April 19 2011 14:18 GMT
#225
Dragon sword is so overrated lol. Good luck when you try to melee vs War bots, MiB and MJ-12 commandos in realistic mode.

Rifles, LAM and pistol all the way yo ~
fuck all those elitists brb watching streams of elite players.
viletomato
Profile Joined June 2009
Canada277 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-19 15:06:54
April 19 2011 15:00 GMT
#226
On April 19 2011 23:18 Boblion wrote:
Dragon sword is so overrated lol. Good luck when you try to melee vs War bots, MiB and MJ-12 commandos in realistic mode.

Rifles, LAM and pistol all the way yo ~



My point is, Deus Ex had a lot of stuff that were 'overpowered', Dragon Tooth dealt with everything except exploding things on realistic, that is like 95% of the items you can destroy if you count in other difficulty levels. Same goes for upgraded skills for sniper, you can do it all at a safe distance. I prefer the dragon tooth because it doesn't require ammo, and it doesn't require me to be a pussy sniping at a long distance, just run in and chop everything to pieces.

This is much much easier than takedowns of DE:HR, so I don't get why people complain it is so easy in DE:HR. If I have a crow bar and say "oh man this animation sucks, it's so ugly and sounds so unrealistic and not immersive" DON'T USE THE FREAKEN CROWBAR geez.


Tomatoes, the king of fruits
viletomato
Profile Joined June 2009
Canada277 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-19 15:17:02
April 19 2011 15:07 GMT
#227
plus you can't do takedowns on turrets, cameras, locked doors, etc...


Tomatoes, the king of fruits
Boblion
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
France8043 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-19 15:55:45
April 19 2011 15:52 GMT
#228
On April 20 2011 00:00 viletomato wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 19 2011 23:18 Boblion wrote:
Dragon sword is so overrated lol. Good luck when you try to melee vs War bots, MiB and MJ-12 commandos in realistic mode.

Rifles, LAM and pistol all the way yo ~



My point is, Deus Ex had a lot of stuff that were 'overpowered', Dragon Tooth dealt with everything except exploding things on realistic, that is like 95% of the items you can destroy if you count in other difficulty levels. Same goes for upgraded skills for sniper, you can do it all at a safe distance. I prefer the dragon tooth because it doesn't require ammo, and it doesn't require me to be a pussy sniping at a long distance, just run in and chop everything to pieces.

This is much much easier than takedowns of DE:HR, so I don't get why people complain it is so easy in DE:HR. If I have a crow bar and say "oh man this animation sucks, it's so ugly and sounds so unrealistic and not immersive" DON'T USE THE FREAKEN CROWBAR geez.



Sniper might be a pussy weapon but at least i'm not a save/reload whore since it is the only way to play at the highest difficulty level without dying every couple of minutes.

Also i have no idea why you think that melee in Dx1 is easier than take down in Dx3 lol. Have you even tried realistic ? Have you played Dx3 ? Sorry man you are just talking out of your ass.

Anyway my main problem with the take downs is not even a difficulty issue. I just dislike third person because i think it is bad for immersion.
fuck all those elitists brb watching streams of elite players.
viletomato
Profile Joined June 2009
Canada277 Posts
April 19 2011 16:01 GMT
#229
On April 20 2011 00:52 Boblion wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 20 2011 00:00 viletomato wrote:
On April 19 2011 23:18 Boblion wrote:
Dragon sword is so overrated lol. Good luck when you try to melee vs War bots, MiB and MJ-12 commandos in realistic mode.

Rifles, LAM and pistol all the way yo ~



My point is, Deus Ex had a lot of stuff that were 'overpowered', Dragon Tooth dealt with everything except exploding things on realistic, that is like 95% of the items you can destroy if you count in other difficulty levels. Same goes for upgraded skills for sniper, you can do it all at a safe distance. I prefer the dragon tooth because it doesn't require ammo, and it doesn't require me to be a pussy sniping at a long distance, just run in and chop everything to pieces.

This is much much easier than takedowns of DE:HR, so I don't get why people complain it is so easy in DE:HR. If I have a crow bar and say "oh man this animation sucks, it's so ugly and sounds so unrealistic and not immersive" DON'T USE THE FREAKEN CROWBAR geez.



Sniper might be a pussy weapon but at least i'm not a save/reload whore since it is the only way to play at the highest difficulty level without dying every couple of minutes.

Also i have no idea why you think that melee in Dx1 is easier than take down in Dx3 lol. Have you even tried realistic ? Have you played Dx3 ? Sorry man you are just talking out of your ass.

Anyway my main problem with the take downs is not even a difficulty issue. I just dislike third person because i think it is bad for immersion.



Yes i have played realistic many times, I don't reload and save many times either. I'm not saying that i use it for absolutely everything, I do use GEP gun for exploding things. Obviously I haven't played DE:HR but the difficulty of DX1 was a joke. Deus Ex is a walk in the park even on realistic.



Tomatoes, the king of fruits
Boblion
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
France8043 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-19 16:04:48
April 19 2011 16:03 GMT
#230
Yep the game isn't really hard but i think that pure melee is probably the hardest way to play the game so no the Dragon sword isn't OP. Still don't see how take downs and auto heal will make the game harder lol.
fuck all those elitists brb watching streams of elite players.
viletomato
Profile Joined June 2009
Canada277 Posts
April 19 2011 16:08 GMT
#231
On April 20 2011 01:03 Boblion wrote:
Yep the game isn't really hard but i think that pure melee is probably the hardest way to play the game so no the Dragon sword isn't OP. Still don't see how take downs and auto heal will make the game harder lol.



I never said these things would make the game harder, I'm just saying some elements in Deus Ex 1 made the game easy.
Tomatoes, the king of fruits
Boblion
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
France8043 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-19 16:23:37
April 19 2011 16:16 GMT
#232
On April 20 2011 01:08 viletomato wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 20 2011 01:03 Boblion wrote:
Yep the game isn't really hard but i think that pure melee is probably the hardest way to play the game so no the Dragon sword isn't OP. Still don't see how take downs and auto heal will make the game harder lol.



I never said these things would make the game harder, I'm just saying some elements in Deus Ex 1 made the game easy.

Every game with a save/load feature is easy if you are a save/load whore anyway.
If you think that Dx3 will be much harder than Dx i think you are pretty much delusional. I'm pretty sure it will have some sort of auto save.

The only hard solo games are roguelike and arcade stuff because when you die the game is over.
You want to play hard Deus Ex ? Play realistic without reloading a single time.
fuck all those elitists brb watching streams of elite players.
viletomato
Profile Joined June 2009
Canada277 Posts
April 19 2011 16:29 GMT
#233
On April 20 2011 01:16 Boblion wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 20 2011 01:08 viletomato wrote:
On April 20 2011 01:03 Boblion wrote:
Yep the game isn't really hard but i think that pure melee is probably the hardest way to play the game so no the Dragon sword isn't OP. Still don't see how take downs and auto heal will make the game harder lol.



I never said these things would make the game harder, I'm just saying some elements in Deus Ex 1 made the game easy.

Every game with a save/load feature is easy if you are a save/load whore anyway.
If you think that Dx3 will be much harder than Dx i think you are pretty much delusional. I'm pretty sure it will have some sort of auto save.

The only hard solo games are roguelike and arcade stuff because when you die the game is over.
You want to play hard Deus Ex ? Play realistic without reloading a single time.



All that I am saying is that people that say that DE:HR is easy because of take downs are forgetting how easy it was to kill things in DX1. That is it. I not trying to trample on your ego, what does this have to do with if I play the game without a save or not. Whatever I'm done arguing with you.
Tomatoes, the king of fruits
Boblion
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
France8043 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-19 16:37:26
April 19 2011 16:33 GMT
#234
On April 20 2011 01:29 viletomato wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 20 2011 01:16 Boblion wrote:
On April 20 2011 01:08 viletomato wrote:
On April 20 2011 01:03 Boblion wrote:
Yep the game isn't really hard but i think that pure melee is probably the hardest way to play the game so no the Dragon sword isn't OP. Still don't see how take downs and auto heal will make the game harder lol.



I never said these things would make the game harder, I'm just saying some elements in Deus Ex 1 made the game easy.

Every game with a save/load feature is easy if you are a save/load whore anyway.
If you think that Dx3 will be much harder than Dx i think you are pretty much delusional. I'm pretty sure it will have some sort of auto save.

The only hard solo games are roguelike and arcade stuff because when you die the game is over.
You want to play hard Deus Ex ? Play realistic without reloading a single time.



All that I am saying is that people that say that DE:HR is easy because of take downs are forgetting how easy it was to kill things in DX1. That is it. I not trying to trample on your ego, what does this have to do with if I play the game without a save or not. Whatever I'm done arguing with you.

Look:

On April 20 2011 00:52 Boblion wrote:
Anyway my main problem with the take downs is not even a difficulty issue. I just dislike third person because i think it is bad for immersion.

I'm sure that the same for the majority of the people who dislike the take downs. It is not about being easy or hard, it is all about immersion.
fuck all those elitists brb watching streams of elite players.
Durak
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
Canada3685 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-19 18:58:31
April 19 2011 18:55 GMT
#235
On April 19 2011 14:11 viletomato wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 19 2011 12:00 Durak wrote:
On April 19 2011 11:26 rabidch wrote:
color scheme is so... bland, and i dont like automatic takedowns or less importantly the ladder climbing (the crouching is fine)

I think it has to do with the fact that it seems to be designed for consoles. I'm not just a ranting PC-enthusiast; hear me out.

When some games are designed for consoles, they are unnecessarily dumbed down. Based on the videos of Deus Ex 3 that I've seen (using the last two posted as reference), this game seems doomed to the same fate. What I mean is things such as:
1. Glowy. In a game that is based on exploring and playing it how you think it should go, the game points out every option to you (and in the trailer they seem limited but that's expected from most games) with hideous glowing objects that also destroy the atmosphere.

2. Takedowns. Unnecessarily long, perspective breaking, and superfluous action at the click of a button. I'm not really against one-hit kill buttons, Deus Ex had a taser, but that didn't bring you out of first person and didn't waste ten seconds of your time for a cinematic that is uncontrollable.

3. Cover. Taking cover ruins perspective because it takes you into third person and you can see around a corner while you character obviously can't. That's bad for immersion; you don't feel as if you're the character and your life is in danger. For example, Amnesia: The dark descent would be much less scary if you could toggle to third person.

4. Combat+Gameplay. You now heal quickly when not taking damage. Well, I guess that shows how your cover button is going to be used gratuitously in ranged combat too.

These aren't really problems caused by the input device itself. Deus Ex 3 could be released on console without all this junk but developers seem to want to cater to some retard audience, whether or not it's factually prevalent. I expect Valve to do an excellent job with Portal 2 on the consoles. If a complex physics-based game can be done on a console, I think a simple FPS can be as well.

Edit: If I posted this when I typed it I would have seen the post above mine. :D
Edit2: Yeah, without the highlighting it's a million times better. I still think the gameplay will suffer from the healing and other factors mentioned.
Edit3: I also know that Deus Ex had boxes over interactible objects. I would argue that it's not the same thing.


Some thoughts, although I thought up the same concerns previously, here are just some points to play devil's advocate.

Highlighting - see video above

Takedowns - yes it seems to be easy but when I think of it Deus Ex, it had the Dragon tooth, an upgraded one would shot everything in the game, enemies, doors, turrets, cameras, and a few for bots. I needed no other weapon, it was the most overpowered weapon because it required no ammo and virtually can go undetected with silent walk + cloak. At least in DX:HR Takedowns requires energy and thus you can't do it over and over. And if you really dislike it, you can always just not use it.

The problem I have with the takedowns is not that they're one-hit kills. A designer can limit its use with level design if desired. My problem is with how bad they are for immersion as well as realism. The takedowns are in third person, you lose control of your character, and there don't seem to be any stealth takedowns.

The third person is self-explanatory: I don't think an immersive game should have it. You can still have takedowns in first person even though they might not look as flashy from that perspective. I think that the immersion factor of feeling as if you're taking someone down is much cooler than watching some stock cinematic.

Secondly, losing control of your character. My argument here is the same. Losing control of your character and watching him beat someone up makes you feel like an observer rather than the protagonist. You can still have takedowns and retain some control. Have the same stock takedowns and make people press buttons at different points throughout it. If you miss a timing, they break out of your takedown or whatever.

Thirdly, I haven't seen any stealth takedowns. Maybe this is because I haven't watched enough videos/been following the game, but this should absolutely be included if you advertise playing stealthily as an option. The stealth takedowns should be quiet so that other guards don't see/hear you. Have lethal, non-lethal, and a stealth option for both. In the video, they used a non-lethal takedown during their "stealth run" and he just hurled the guy forward.

On April 19 2011 14:27 viletomato wrote:
My only concern now is the AI.

Everything else seems great to me, the environments are amazingly detailed, story is nice and long (with lots of unique locations), augs are looking awesome but AI.... -___-

AI seems to be pretty garbage like AI in crysis. enemies don't detect disturbances very well, you kill a guy 20 ft in front of another and the other guard has no response... their noises after a takedown doesn't alert guards either. I wish the gaming industry would develop something in the area.


I guess this is related to my take on takedowns. Maybe it's not important to even worry about stealth takedowns when your AI is bad anyway, except for the fact that it'll seem stupidly unrealistic.

Oh, and another critique, the body dragging looks dumb. Why not just make it so you pull the guy behind you with both arms under his? I guess we can just have this 250 lb man ragdolling all over the place while you drag him by his fingers.

Edit: Forgot to comment on the health regen+rest of your post. I'll do that in a sec.
Durak
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
Canada3685 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-19 19:51:43
April 19 2011 19:51 GMT
#236
On April 19 2011 14:11 viletomato wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 19 2011 12:00 Durak wrote:
On April 19 2011 11:26 rabidch wrote:
color scheme is so... bland, and i dont like automatic takedowns or less importantly the ladder climbing (the crouching is fine)

I think it has to do with the fact that it seems to be designed for consoles. I'm not just a ranting PC-enthusiast; hear me out.

When some games are designed for consoles, they are unnecessarily dumbed down. Based on the videos of Deus Ex 3 that I've seen (using the last two posted as reference), this game seems doomed to the same fate. What I mean is things such as:
1. Glowy. In a game that is based on exploring and playing it how you think it should go, the game points out every option to you (and in the trailer they seem limited but that's expected from most games) with hideous glowing objects that also destroy the atmosphere.

2. Takedowns. Unnecessarily long, perspective breaking, and superfluous action at the click of a button. I'm not really against one-hit kill buttons, Deus Ex had a taser, but that didn't bring you out of first person and didn't waste ten seconds of your time for a cinematic that is uncontrollable.

3. Cover. Taking cover ruins perspective because it takes you into third person and you can see around a corner while you character obviously can't. That's bad for immersion; you don't feel as if you're the character and your life is in danger. For example, Amnesia: The dark descent would be much less scary if you could toggle to third person.

4. Combat+Gameplay. You now heal quickly when not taking damage. Well, I guess that shows how your cover button is going to be used gratuitously in ranged combat too.

These aren't really problems caused by the input device itself. Deus Ex 3 could be released on console without all this junk but developers seem to want to cater to some retard audience, whether or not it's factually prevalent. I expect Valve to do an excellent job with Portal 2 on the consoles. If a complex physics-based game can be done on a console, I think a simple FPS can be as well.

Edit: If I posted this when I typed it I would have seen the post above mine. :D
Edit2: Yeah, without the highlighting it's a million times better. I still think the gameplay will suffer from the healing and other factors mentioned.
Edit3: I also know that Deus Ex had boxes over interactible objects. I would argue that it's not the same thing.

Health Regen - "You now heal quickly when not taking damage" Um no, this isn't like Halo regen takes quite a while. On hard it takes 29.412 seconds to fully regenerate health, that is an eternity the game world terms. In the game play video, 1 shot brought Adam to half life, this is not a walk in the park.

In the first gameplay video DisaFear posted, you can see how fast he regens after walking straight into the electricity at ~6:20. Maybe on harder difficulties it regens slower, I'll defer to you on that.

I personally feel that health regen out of combat is a step back for Deus Ex and it completely changes the gameplay. I've never really enjoyed that kind of combat in games like Rainbow Six: Vegas and Mass Effect. Just my opinion; to each his own.

On April 19 2011 14:11 viletomato wrote:
I've been following EM's development for the last 3 years and I have to say they have done a good job at trying to stay true to a successor. 40+hrs gameplay hours with all side quests, 20-25 without, can any FPS today even touch that? Anyways, my hopes are high that it'll be an amazing game.

If the gameplay ends up being compelling, the length could be welcome. Here's to hoping.

Edit: Meant to edit this into my last post. Oh well.
Fruscainte
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
4596 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-04 23:11:49
May 04 2011 22:38 GMT
#237
[image loading]

This image clears up so many doubts, it's unbelievable.
Jibba
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States22883 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-04 23:16:24
May 04 2011 23:14 GMT
#238
What does that clear up doubts about? The art is still bland and there's no real lighting there. It looks like a regular Modern Warfare level, with a different interface and much worse graphics.
ModeratorNow I'm distant, dark in this anthrobeat
Fruscainte
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
4596 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-04 23:54:47
May 04 2011 23:52 GMT
#239
On May 05 2011 08:14 Jibba wrote:
What does that clear up doubts about? The art is still bland and there's no real lighting there. It looks like a regular Modern Warfare level, with a different interface and much worse graphics.


Let count the ways:

1) Weapon Bar on bottom. This clearly means that it is not some crappy console port. There is no ONE MAIN WEAPON ONE SECONDARY WEAPON AND DEDICATED MELEE STRIKE shit. There are clearly going to be multiple weapons and multiple gadgets and multiple ways to play the game, therefore.

2) Weapon in middle of screen. This indicates a relatively high FOV. Generally with modern shooters you have your gun on the far right of the screen because the FOV is set at like 60 degrees or something. This looks far more like my FOV when I got my games set to a solid 90-100

3) What appears to be a health bar in the top left corner of the screen, along with what appears to be an energy bar for certain aspects of the game

4) No mystical red jelly on the screen when you get shot

5) No highlighting! They finally took it out, at last! Or at least made it optional to highlight the objectives and whatnot, which is a huge plus.

It doesn't have to be brown and bloom SO REAL to be good art. Although it is not top of the line, it is most likely on lowest settings from what I can tell or close to it -- wait until more benchmarking and high res pictures come out from in game I say.

Basing a game on graphics is borderline retarded, as far as I'm concerned. Unless it is a significant downgrade from the original, ala Crysis 2 and Dragon Age 2. So as long as it's a significant upgrade from:

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Who cares.
viletomato
Profile Joined June 2009
Canada277 Posts
May 05 2011 00:08 GMT
#240
Looking good, not great, but sufficient for a Deus Ex game. Since they had to worry about all the other stuff like RPG elements and storyline they could not put that much resource into making it look like Battlefield 3.

I can't wait to play this game!!
Tomatoes, the king of fruits
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 14 76 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 24m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Free 1003
Soulkey 254
Soma 213
Larva 141
Mind 70
ZerO 43
soO 27
ajuk12(nOOB) 20
scan(afreeca) 13
League of Legends
JimRising 579
Counter-Strike
edward364
Other Games
summit1g8298
singsing1222
Coldzera 682
WinterStarcraft681
Sick213
ZerO(Twitch)12
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick743
BasetradeTV234
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 17
• LUISG 6
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2228
League of Legends
• Jankos1576
Upcoming Events
Big Brain Bouts
1h 24m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
Online Event
3h 24m
AI Arena Tournament
8h 24m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
10h 24m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 1h
Patches Events
1d 6h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 10h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 10h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.