• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:38
CEST 23:38
KST 06:38
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20269Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November] Sagi.gg Launcher Released
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8577 users

Tribes: Ascend - FPS announced by Hi-Rez Studios. - Page 28

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 26 27 28 29 30 196 Next
Coriolis
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1152 Posts
November 27 2011 06:07 GMT
#541
On November 27 2011 08:25 Thereisnosaurus wrote:
@cori: yeah, I think it's going to take a year or so for any seriously awesome consistency and long range midairs to appear, since I think both projectile speed and inheritance are going to get tweaked a lot, which will throw off people's rythm for a while. And I actually think the 'true' pro-ness is going to be landing midairs with things like the arxbuster/sticky nades/bolt launcher/impact nitrons etc. Spinfusor is going to the be the catch-all, everybody masters weapon, while learning the individual characters of other class weapons to a very high degree is going to be far trickier.

also thanks for the vid, have been lookng for a good T2 highlight reel, most of the ones I can find are T1

Hah yeah the vids pretty awesome, I'm glad my two shots made it in. Honestly I hope they tweak the inheritance...right now its why chasing with anything not hitscan is awful.
Descolada in everything not TL/Starcraft
Fruscainte
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
4596 Posts
November 27 2011 06:10 GMT
#542
I do hope they fix hitscan shit, I would hate to fall back on that crap. Just reaching half of the skill level of that guy posted earlier would make me the happiest guy on earth.
Coriolis
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1152 Posts
November 27 2011 06:20 GMT
#543
On November 27 2011 15:10 Fruscainte wrote:
I do hope they fix hitscan shit, I would hate to fall back on that crap. Just reaching half of the skill level of that guy posted earlier would make me the happiest guy on earth.

Its really not that hard to MA people in TA. Its just why bother when you can use a hitscan weapon to kill them faster and more effectively.
Descolada in everything not TL/Starcraft
sob3k
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States7572 Posts
November 27 2011 17:08 GMT
#544
Just a trick, if you are flying along right up against the barrier at the edge of the map, you can wait until you begin to descend and then just hit the jump key, this will cause you to "jump" off of the barrier and you can go an infinite distance against the wall while maintaining hight and speed. Since projectiles dont explode on the barrier it almost impossible to bring you down when you do this.

In Hungry Hungry Hippos there are no such constraints—one can constantly attempt to collect marbles with one’s hippo, limited only by one’s hippo-levering capabilities.
holdthephone
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States523 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-28 00:22:53
November 28 2011 00:14 GMT
#545
Hey guys, casual SG Tribes and Tribes 2 player from back in the day, just have some questions/impressions.

Regarding the free-to-play model, is it really that hard to get tokens? 0_o. I've played for maybe 3-4 hours and have accumulated 147, and so I can't touch another class until I have gathered at least 7500? That's a ton of game time, and what's given to me to start is nothing. The perk trees also feel really forced. I don't know, the whole progression concept feels very out of place compared to games like LoL.

And now a dumber question -- there's no jump? I hear people talking about the jump button but all I can do is jetpack and ski apparently.

Hitscan -- can someone explain this? Are you referring specifically to weapons like the SMG? Do the bullets travel instantaneously as opposed to say, the chain gun in Tribes 2 that you'd have to lead your target? Is it really that easier? I feel like I was more effective with the chaingun...

Other than that, this game is pretty much Tribes in a very basic sense. Doesn't have me too excited. The base layouts and map feel rather generic, and I don't have access to anything. I enjoy my spinfusor duels and highspeed action as always, but in that regard nothing has really improved. It's the year 2011, you think they'd make a better game instead of giving us a simpler form of what we had 10 years ago and restricting it with F2P...

Again I'm just casual, so maybe I just suck? Though I assume I'm the target audience...






Coriolis
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1152 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-28 00:51:16
November 28 2011 00:51 GMT
#546
On November 28 2011 09:14 holdthephone wrote:
Hey guys, casual SG Tribes and Tribes 2 player from back in the day, just have some questions/impressions.

Regarding the free-to-play model, is it really that hard to get tokens? 0_o. I've played for maybe 3-4 hours and have accumulated 147, and so I can't touch another class until I have gathered at least 7500? That's a ton of game time, and what's given to me to start is nothing. The perk trees also feel really forced. I don't know, the whole progression concept feels very out of place compared to games like LoL.

And now a dumber question -- there's no jump? I hear people talking about the jump button but all I can do is jetpack and ski apparently.

Hitscan -- can someone explain this? Are you referring specifically to weapons like the SMG? Do the bullets travel instantaneously as opposed to say, the chain gun in Tribes 2 that you'd have to lead your target? Is it really that easier? I feel like I was more effective with the chaingun...

Other than that, this game is pretty much Tribes in a very basic sense. Doesn't have me too excited. The base layouts and map feel rather generic, and I don't have access to anything. I enjoy my spinfusor duels and highspeed action as always, but in that regard nothing has really improved. It's the year 2011, you think they'd make a better game instead of giving us a simpler form of what we had 10 years ago and restricting it with F2P...

Again I'm just casual, so maybe I just suck? Though I assume I'm the target audience...






Uhm you should get more than that. And there is jump, its in your controls you just have to bind it. Hitscan is instantaneous bullets yes, its stupid. The chaingun is more effective but it was also more difficult.
Descolada in everything not TL/Starcraft
sob3k
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States7572 Posts
November 28 2011 00:58 GMT
#547
On November 28 2011 09:14 holdthephone wrote:
Hey guys, casual SG Tribes and Tribes 2 player from back in the day, just have some questions/impressions.

Regarding the free-to-play model, is it really that hard to get tokens? 0_o. I've played for maybe 3-4 hours and have accumulated 147, and so I can't touch another class until I have gathered at least 7500? That's a ton of game time, and what's given to me to start is nothing. The perk trees also feel really forced. I don't know, the whole progression concept feels very out of place compared to games like LoL.

And now a dumber question -- there's no jump? I hear people talking about the jump button but all I can do is jetpack and ski apparently.

Hitscan -- can someone explain this? Are you referring specifically to weapons like the SMG? Do the bullets travel instantaneously as opposed to say, the chain gun in Tribes 2 that you'd have to lead your target? Is it really that easier? I feel like I was more effective with the chaingun...

Other than that, this game is pretty much Tribes in a very basic sense. Doesn't have me too excited. The base layouts and map feel rather generic, and I don't have access to anything. I enjoy my spinfusor duels and highspeed action as always, but in that regard nothing has really improved. It's the year 2011, you think they'd make a better game instead of giving us a simpler form of what we had 10 years ago and restricting it with F2P...

Again I'm just casual, so maybe I just suck? Though I assume I'm the target audience...


You should be getting about ~100tokens an hour, yes its ridiculously expensive to unlock classes.

Hitscan is all the instant projectile weapons. Is its easier? Not really, but if you have good aim they are preposterously good, and easily outshine the fusor. The worst is the sniper though, if you run into a good sniper they kill you anywhere on the map and usually end the game with around 4x as many kills as any other player, its absurd. Luckily most people have terrible aim.
In Hungry Hungry Hippos there are no such constraints—one can constantly attempt to collect marbles with one’s hippo, limited only by one’s hippo-levering capabilities.
Charger
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States2405 Posts
November 28 2011 02:43 GMT
#548
On November 28 2011 09:14 holdthephone wrote:
Hey guys, casual SG Tribes and Tribes 2 player from back in the day, just have some questions/impressions.

Regarding the free-to-play model, is it really that hard to get tokens? 0_o. I've played for maybe 3-4 hours and have accumulated 147, and so I can't touch another class until I have gathered at least 7500? That's a ton of game time, and what's given to me to start is nothing. The perk trees also feel really forced. I don't know, the whole progression concept feels very out of place compared to games like LoL.

And now a dumber question -- there's no jump? I hear people talking about the jump button but all I can do is jetpack and ski apparently.

Hitscan -- can someone explain this? Are you referring specifically to weapons like the SMG? Do the bullets travel instantaneously as opposed to say, the chain gun in Tribes 2 that you'd have to lead your target? Is it really that easier? I feel like I was more effective with the chaingun...

Other than that, this game is pretty much Tribes in a very basic sense. Doesn't have me too excited. The base layouts and map feel rather generic, and I don't have access to anything. I enjoy my spinfusor duels and highspeed action as always, but in that regard nothing has really improved. It's the year 2011, you think they'd make a better game instead of giving us a simpler form of what we had 10 years ago and restricting it with F2P...

Again I'm just casual, so maybe I just suck? Though I assume I'm the target audience...


I was just a casual Tribes player too and I am having a blast, of course I bought the VIP package so I do have more classes and get tokens faster.

I don't like the F2P model in any game but at the same time, you could buy some Tribes gold and buy whatever classes you want and still spend WAY less money than if this was a retail game. It's stupid but it's not worth not playing over.

There is a jump, as mentioned. I think by default it's ctrl or alt...

I haven't had a TON of problems with hitscan weapons but I also suck with them and probably play mostly against noobs who just suck with them. Spinfuser is still THE gun to use imo.

The maps need some work, no argument here but still fun in a casual sense.

The good news is that Hi Rez is listening to feedback and trying to make this game as good as possible. I'm hopeful that the game will only get better with time but as is I'm having a ton of fun playing.
It's easy to be a Monday morning quarterback.
Thereisnosaurus
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Australia1822 Posts
November 28 2011 03:17 GMT
#549
It really is worth throwing ten bucks their way. that gets you 2 classes (jug or path and one other) and VIP status, which gives you extra tokens and XP permanently. That's the thing worth having. I got the 30 buck starter pack and I've unlocked all but one class now. (4 from the pack, rest from tokens)

Sniper is really nasty vs lights but a bit trickier vs meds or heavies- takes something like 6 or 7 fully charged shots to kill a jugg. The trick is to run caps in pairs- one guy goes in and soaks up the snipes and claymores. Second guy goes in and makes the cap while they're trying to set back up. Snipers might have the most kills, but I usually outscore them even though I'm just trying to cap and getting killed by them constantly. If you have 2 or 3 people D sniping it weakens your team comp, just as having 3 or 4 techs does. You might have a super tight base, but you don't have the grunt to crack the enemy base, or successfully return the flag if it gets into enemy territory. Anyway, even then they're not the classes that dominate most.

top classes (by kill/assist) in order on the aussie servers are

Jugg (often see 30+ kill juggs when the average is about 5)
Raider (just really good at killing everything anywhere all the time. Most versatile class around)
Sentinel
Soldier
Poisonous Sheep counter Hydras
Coriolis
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1152 Posts
November 28 2011 05:29 GMT
#550
Eh I'd said top classes are raider, ranger, jugg, pathfinder.
Descolada in everything not TL/Starcraft
holdthephone
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States523 Posts
November 28 2011 05:40 GMT
#551
Thanks for the feedback guys, the game probably will be loads better if I just throw some money at it. But if they advertise it as "free-to-play" and used LoL as a model, then I say they failed there. Should just be a $49.99 game, because there's not enough free content to keep people hooked off the bat.
Coriolis
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1152 Posts
November 28 2011 05:41 GMT
#552
On November 28 2011 14:40 holdthephone wrote:
Thanks for the feedback guys, the game probably will be loads better if I just throw some money at it. But if they advertise it as "free-to-play" and used LoL as a model, then I say they failed there. Should just be a $49.99 game, because there's not enough free content to keep people hooked off the bat.

Honestly I would just pay $10, thats what I did. That will get you any class+jugg or pathfinder. Also gets you VIP which lets you earn xp/tokens 50% faster. Permanent too.
Descolada in everything not TL/Starcraft
holdthephone
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States523 Posts
November 28 2011 05:50 GMT
#553
Nice, that sounds like the way to go then.
Thereisnosaurus
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Australia1822 Posts
November 28 2011 05:55 GMT
#554
Should just be a $49.99 game, because there's not enough free content to keep people hooked off the bat.


It's a beta. LoL was just as bad during beta, they've had 2 years since release to build up a content library. I imagine by release many of the classes will be somewhat cheaper, as new classes come out at the premium rate. The community is also lobbying very hard for more engaging F2P unlocking etc, so I wouldn't be surprised for that to come along over the next few months. Stick by it, and throw them 10 bucks to say you're interested ^^
Poisonous Sheep counter Hydras
sob3k
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States7572 Posts
November 28 2011 06:24 GMT
#555
On November 28 2011 14:55 Thereisnosaurus wrote:
Show nested quote +
Should just be a $49.99 game, because there's not enough free content to keep people hooked off the bat.


It's a beta. LoL was just as bad during beta, they've had 2 years since release to build up a content library. I imagine by release many of the classes will be somewhat cheaper, as new classes come out at the premium rate. The community is also lobbying very hard for more engaging F2P unlocking etc, so I wouldn't be surprised for that to come along over the next few months. Stick by it, and throw them 10 bucks to say you're interested ^^


The content library is fine, they just wont let you access it at all with F2p basically, the token costs are just so preposterous.

I mean its like 150hours per class, not really counting the time it takes you to unlock the perks which are pretty major...

It would like me playing LOL for the few month I have played and having access to 2 heroes and one runepage....I guess they cant sell skins so they are trying to adjust to that, but it seems pretty ridiculous.
In Hungry Hungry Hippos there are no such constraints—one can constantly attempt to collect marbles with one’s hippo, limited only by one’s hippo-levering capabilities.
xAPOCALYPSEx
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
1418 Posts
November 28 2011 06:43 GMT
#556
Any of you guys pre-order the game for $29.99? Watching the videos of it on Youtube, it looks pretty awesome. (I'm a sucker for CTF and I love most FPS). I remember playing Tribes 2, but I was so freaking young then I don't remember much of it.

Thinking of pre-ordering it to save money, cause from the videos it looks like I'm definitely gonna pick it up anyways.

What do you guys playing it think of it, overall so far as far as like gameplay/maps?
Charger
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States2405 Posts
November 28 2011 06:47 GMT
#557
On November 28 2011 15:43 xAPOCALYPSEx wrote:
Any of you guys pre-order the game for $29.99? Watching the videos of it on Youtube, it looks pretty awesome. (I'm a sucker for CTF and I love most FPS). I remember playing Tribes 2, but I was so freaking young then I don't remember much of it.

Thinking of pre-ordering it to save money, cause from the videos it looks like I'm definitely gonna pick it up anyways.

What do you guys playing it think of it, overall so far as far as like gameplay/maps?


I, like many here, preordered. However do note this will be free to play so it's not really a preorder, you just get the things listed on the dev's site.

I'm having a blast playing the game, maps and other things need work but Hi Rez do far is at least moving in the right direction. Well worth the 'preorder' for me.
It's easy to be a Monday morning quarterback.
Stiluz
Profile Joined October 2010
Norway688 Posts
November 28 2011 10:38 GMT
#558
I preordered the game. 30 $ isn't too bad, about half the price of a regular game here in Norway I get to play it early, and can pick a lot of the classes. The unlock system isn't very interesting though, at least for me. Takes too long to get tokens and such. The abilities you unlock aren't that cool either. But eh, it's still in beta, a lot of things are probably going to change before release :-)
PepperoniPiZZa
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Sierra Leone1660 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-28 11:07:13
November 28 2011 10:52 GMT
#559
Where are you guys getting all these keys? I'd love to have one.

e:
nvm, got one
Quote?
REDBLUEGREEN
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Germany1904 Posts
November 28 2011 11:11 GMT
#560
This game get so much more fun when you get better and actually manage to hit stuff.
At first it was kind of boring because I only got lucky kills or versus distracted opponents and maybe 1 kill every 5 minutes.
By now some hours later 1 out of 2 or 3 discs hit and I manage to get like 1 kill per minute and even some midairs.

I really don't like that you can't customize classes though. I really want light armor and spinfusor but be able to change packs and secondary weapon to adapt to roles but it seems only thing I can play now once I unlock it is a pathfinder... or are there more classes to chose from if you spend money?
Prev 1 26 27 28 29 30 196 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 37m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 567
ProTech141
RuFF_SC2 132
Liquid`TLO 111
Nina 98
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 17389
firebathero 87
PianO 14
Sacsri 5
Dota 2
monkeys_forever254
canceldota59
League of Legends
Doublelift3579
Counter-Strike
minikerr2
Super Smash Bros
PPMD35
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu808
Other Games
summit1g5786
FrodaN1236
shahzam576
ToD288
C9.Mang0282
mouzStarbuck264
B2W.Neo263
RotterdaM84
Mew2King44
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• mYiSmile148
• StrangeGG 43
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 26
• niya90s 2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1106
• Shiphtur606
Upcoming Events
OSC
37m
Replay Cast
1h 22m
OSC
1d 1h
Big Brain Bouts
1d 12h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 19h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 21h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.