• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:08
CEST 08:08
KST 15:08
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9441 users

Portal 2 on steam - Page 4

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 8 9 10 Next All
maartendq
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Belgium3115 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-15 08:31:10
April 15 2011 08:23 GMT
#61
On April 15 2011 11:44 Fyodor wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 15 2011 06:18 maartendq wrote:
On February 28 2011 08:34 Dankmids wrote:
On February 28 2011 06:00 NicolBolas wrote:
Portal 2 takes nothing away from hl2EP3 development, you can already see that EP3 will be on the improved engine portal 2 is on, also seperate teams


I bet you also think that Ep3 was being developed for the last 3 years too. Please. Valve made two L4D games while working on Portal 2 and constantly throwing content to TF2.

Valve is not a particularly large company. If they hadn't made Portal 2, the time, money, and people that would have gone into Portal 2's development could have gone into Ep3's development. We could have been getting Episode 3 right now, but we're not. We're getting Portal 2 instead, because Portal somehow out-ranks Half-Life for development resources. Even though HL is the only reason Valve exists.


You have to remember, the voice actor for Breen died, no one knows outside of valve IF they needed him for ep3, maybe he had a big part in it and had to change a lot of the story of ep3 to do without him.

EP3 was not in development the last three years, probably very little and has been worked on a lot more for at least a year now.

But im a major valve die hard, i grew up on half life, so i dont care if ep3 isnt out for another year or two because it will be the last half life for a long long time.

Breen died in HL2, so they don't need his voice actor anymore.

Either way, if you listened to the commentary included in the first L4D you'd know that the L4D team is not the same team working on HL2: EP1/2/3 or TF2.

To be honest, I'm kind of disappointed that it's taking them so long to finish EP3, and I'm kind of expecting them to already be working on HL3 instead. It's been five (or was it six?) years since EP1 came out, four years since EP2 came out and we've still got zero information on EP3.

On Portal 2: I won't be buying it any time soon. The first game was fun, but it didn't really "waw" me. It was a good addition to the Orange Box, but I'd have never bought it outside of that package.

I guess you're not that into revolutionary gaming experiences? Portal was by far the best game in the Orange Box. Team Fortress 2 was pretty fun but Portal was pure genius and deserves more respect.

I don't see how Portal was or is revolutionary. It had zero influence on the development of games after it. It was a fun yet short puzzle game, but that was about it. TF2 was fun, but I played a lot of TFC back in the day so I got tired of that game pretty quickly too. I already owned HL2 and EP1 and finished those repeatedly.

I basically bought the orange box for EP2, which I still play pretty often (best pacing in any game ever). That's how much of a HL2 fanatic I am.

I'm one of those people who wants VALVE to stop making stuff like Portal, L4D or DOTA2 and focus all available resources on making EP3 even better (and three times longer) than EP2.
Kishuu
Profile Joined January 2010
Brazil108 Posts
April 15 2011 08:30 GMT
#62
Don't get the me wrong. Portal 2 will be nice, good and all. But after Valve added those goddamned hats in TF2 it just destroyed the game experience. People doesn't even play the game anymore. They just keep trading and collecting that shit and the game is totally weird and colorful stuff you don't know nor care about.

tl;dr Portal 2 will be good if they don't try to milk the franchise out too much
SlipperySnake
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
248 Posts
April 15 2011 08:43 GMT
#63
Don't get the me wrong. Portal 2 will be nice, good and all. But after Valve added those goddamned hats in TF2 it just destroyed the game experience. People doesn't even play the game anymore. They just keep trading and collecting that shit and the game is totally weird and colorful stuff you don't know nor care about.


Wow, this is just so ridiculously wrong. Tf2 was so great exactly because they kept updating it for freaking free after it came out (for YEARS!). Anyone who ever played that game from competitive level all the way down to 32-man dustbowl only should know that it still is and was badass.

Portal 2 promises to be one of the most exciting and flavorful experiences yet. The damn dedication to character development and plot in this coming game is scary. Hell even the robots in the coop are characters in their story (Atlas and Peebody). Apparently most people want to be Atlas the shorter fatter one and I pretty much agree, he is pretty sick.
Kelberot
Profile Joined July 2010
Brazil364 Posts
April 15 2011 09:12 GMT
#64
It's hard to pay that much money for it, specially if you compare to the first game. I realize this game will be much longer and bigger, but still...
Wesso
Profile Joined August 2010
Netherlands1245 Posts
April 15 2011 09:23 GMT
#65
I'll wait till I have a friend to play the coop with, but I think I'll eventually get it.
xZiGGY
Profile Joined August 2010
United Kingdom801 Posts
April 15 2011 09:26 GMT
#66
More than I'm willing to pay sadly, but I'm sure it'll be on sale soon enough and I'll probably play it then.
Meh.
jacen
Profile Blog Joined April 2004
Austria3644 Posts
April 15 2011 09:40 GMT
#67
On April 15 2011 17:30 Kishuu wrote:
Don't get the me wrong. Portal 2 will be nice, good and all. But after Valve added those goddamned hats in TF2 it just destroyed the game experience. People doesn't even play the game anymore. They just keep trading and collecting that shit and the game is totally weird and colorful stuff you don't know nor care about.

I have a list of EU public servers where people really play the game. PM if you want it.
(micronesia) lol we aren't going to just permban you (micronesia) "we" excludes Jinro
Brad
Profile Joined April 2010
2754 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-15 09:55:39
April 15 2011 09:49 GMT
#68
For the people saying it cost too much, Portal 2 isn't an indie game, it's an AA title. You can't compare the cost of 1 to 2. Portal 1 was much smaller in scope.
Lee Jae Dong proved that a focus on mechanics and execution could solve problems in the StarCraft game strategy.
krbz
Profile Joined April 2011
United States66 Posts
April 15 2011 10:43 GMT
#69
+ Show Spoiler +

On April 15 2011 17:23 maartendq wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 15 2011 11:44 Fyodor wrote:
On April 15 2011 06:18 maartendq wrote:
On February 28 2011 08:34 Dankmids wrote:
On February 28 2011 06:00 NicolBolas wrote:
Portal 2 takes nothing away from hl2EP3 development, you can already see that EP3 will be on the improved engine portal 2 is on, also seperate teams


I bet you also think that Ep3 was being developed for the last 3 years too. Please. Valve made two L4D games while working on Portal 2 and constantly throwing content to TF2.

Valve is not a particularly large company. If they hadn't made Portal 2, the time, money, and people that would have gone into Portal 2's development could have gone into Ep3's development. We could have been getting Episode 3 right now, but we're not. We're getting Portal 2 instead, because Portal somehow out-ranks Half-Life for development resources. Even though HL is the only reason Valve exists.


You have to remember, the voice actor for Breen died, no one knows outside of valve IF they needed him for ep3, maybe he had a big part in it and had to change a lot of the story of ep3 to do without him.

EP3 was not in development the last three years, probably very little and has been worked on a lot more for at least a year now.

But im a major valve die hard, i grew up on half life, so i dont care if ep3 isnt out for another year or two because it will be the last half life for a long long time.

Breen died in HL2, so they don't need his voice actor anymore.

Either way, if you listened to the commentary included in the first L4D you'd know that the L4D team is not the same team working on HL2: EP1/2/3 or TF2.

To be honest, I'm kind of disappointed that it's taking them so long to finish EP3, and I'm kind of expecting them to already be working on HL3 instead. It's been five (or was it six?) years since EP1 came out, four years since EP2 came out and we've still got zero information on EP3.

On Portal 2: I won't be buying it any time soon. The first game was fun, but it didn't really "waw" me. It was a good addition to the Orange Box, but I'd have never bought it outside of that package.

I guess you're not that into revolutionary gaming experiences? Portal was by far the best game in the Orange Box. Team Fortress 2 was pretty fun but Portal was pure genius and deserves more respect.

I don't see how Portal was or is revolutionary. It had zero influence on the development of games after it. It was a fun yet short puzzle game, but that was about it. TF2 was fun, but I played a lot of TFC back in the day so I got tired of that game pretty quickly too. I already owned HL2 and EP1 and finished those repeatedly.

I basically bought the orange box for EP2, which I still play pretty often (best pacing in any game ever). That's how much of a HL2 fanatic I am.

I'm one of those people who wants VALVE to stop making stuff like Portal, L4D or DOTA2 and focus all available resources on making EP3 even better (and three times longer) than EP2.


The Half Life series that you are so fanatical about, is highly connected to Portal. It is amazing to me that you love the game so much and yet know very little about the greater story line.
You should maybe look around a little bit and stop being so closed minded. There is plenty of information on the links between the two.

1. "Borealis": The Borealis is an Aperture Science research vessel introduced in Half-Life 2: Episode Two. According to Isaac Kleiner, Aperture was working on a promising project, but in their rush to beat Black Mesa for funding, they neglected ordinary safety rules and it appears that the ship simply disappeared with parts of her dry dock, which earned her an almost legendary stature. It is assumed that the Borealis contained an immensely powerful and dangerous secret.

2. Aperture Science(Portal) and Black Mesa(Half Life) continually fought for government contracts.

3. ....I wont list them all. Go look for your self as they are not hard to find.

They are not wasting time on this useless "stuff", and I'd suggest you don't blabber on about things you know little-to-nothing about.
Delvin
Profile Joined August 2007
Finland141 Posts
April 15 2011 10:58 GMT
#70
On April 15 2011 17:43 SlipperySnake wrote:
Show nested quote +
Don't get the me wrong. Portal 2 will be nice, good and all. But after Valve added those goddamned hats in TF2 it just destroyed the game experience. People doesn't even play the game anymore. They just keep trading and collecting that shit and the game is totally weird and colorful stuff you don't know nor care about.


Wow, this is just so ridiculously wrong. Tf2 was so great exactly because they kept updating it for freaking free after it came out (for YEARS!). Anyone who ever played that game from competitive level all the way down to 32-man dustbowl only should know that it still is and was badass.
For a long time, sure. The first few class updates in particular were excellent. But it started going downhill after they started adding more and more items that, I'd argue, are not in the spirit of the original (hats, swords, etc). The store was the final nail in the coffin for me.

Anyway, I'd be very suprised if Portal had that kind of problems. Just replayed the first one yesterday in preparation for some gaming goodness.
maartendq
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Belgium3115 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-15 11:17:18
April 15 2011 11:10 GMT
#71
On April 15 2011 19:43 krbz wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +

On April 15 2011 17:23 maartendq wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 15 2011 11:44 Fyodor wrote:
On April 15 2011 06:18 maartendq wrote:
On February 28 2011 08:34 Dankmids wrote:
On February 28 2011 06:00 NicolBolas wrote:
Portal 2 takes nothing away from hl2EP3 development, you can already see that EP3 will be on the improved engine portal 2 is on, also seperate teams


I bet you also think that Ep3 was being developed for the last 3 years too. Please. Valve made two L4D games while working on Portal 2 and constantly throwing content to TF2.

Valve is not a particularly large company. If they hadn't made Portal 2, the time, money, and people that would have gone into Portal 2's development could have gone into Ep3's development. We could have been getting Episode 3 right now, but we're not. We're getting Portal 2 instead, because Portal somehow out-ranks Half-Life for development resources. Even though HL is the only reason Valve exists.


You have to remember, the voice actor for Breen died, no one knows outside of valve IF they needed him for ep3, maybe he had a big part in it and had to change a lot of the story of ep3 to do without him.

EP3 was not in development the last three years, probably very little and has been worked on a lot more for at least a year now.

But im a major valve die hard, i grew up on half life, so i dont care if ep3 isnt out for another year or two because it will be the last half life for a long long time.

Breen died in HL2, so they don't need his voice actor anymore.

Either way, if you listened to the commentary included in the first L4D you'd know that the L4D team is not the same team working on HL2: EP1/2/3 or TF2.

To be honest, I'm kind of disappointed that it's taking them so long to finish EP3, and I'm kind of expecting them to already be working on HL3 instead. It's been five (or was it six?) years since EP1 came out, four years since EP2 came out and we've still got zero information on EP3.

On Portal 2: I won't be buying it any time soon. The first game was fun, but it didn't really "waw" me. It was a good addition to the Orange Box, but I'd have never bought it outside of that package.

I guess you're not that into revolutionary gaming experiences? Portal was by far the best game in the Orange Box. Team Fortress 2 was pretty fun but Portal was pure genius and deserves more respect.

I don't see how Portal was or is revolutionary. It had zero influence on the development of games after it. It was a fun yet short puzzle game, but that was about it. TF2 was fun, but I played a lot of TFC back in the day so I got tired of that game pretty quickly too. I already owned HL2 and EP1 and finished those repeatedly.

I basically bought the orange box for EP2, which I still play pretty often (best pacing in any game ever). That's how much of a HL2 fanatic I am.

I'm one of those people who wants VALVE to stop making stuff like Portal, L4D or DOTA2 and focus all available resources on making EP3 even better (and three times longer) than EP2.


The Half Life series that you are so fanatical about, is highly connected to Portal. It is amazing to me that you love the game so much and yet know very little about the greater story line.
You should maybe look around a little bit and stop being so closed minded. There is plenty of information on the links between the two.

1. "Borealis": The Borealis is an Aperture Science research vessel introduced in Half-Life 2: Episode Two. According to Isaac Kleiner, Aperture was working on a promising project, but in their rush to beat Black Mesa for funding, they neglected ordinary safety rules and it appears that the ship simply disappeared with parts of her dry dock, which earned her an almost legendary stature. It is assumed that the Borealis contained an immensely powerful and dangerous secret.

2. Aperture Science(Portal) and Black Mesa(Half Life) continually fought for government contracts.

3. ....I wont list them all. Go look for your self as they are not hard to find.

They are not wasting time on this useless "stuff", and I'd suggest you don't blabber on about things you know little-to-nothing about.

I am fully aware of all these connections, having finished the original game and its episodes easily over 30 times. I prefer shooting bullets over shooting portals. It's kind of that simple.
Whalecore
Profile Joined March 2009
Norway1111 Posts
April 15 2011 11:24 GMT
#72
On April 15 2011 19:43 krbz wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +

On April 15 2011 17:23 maartendq wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 15 2011 11:44 Fyodor wrote:
On April 15 2011 06:18 maartendq wrote:
On February 28 2011 08:34 Dankmids wrote:
On February 28 2011 06:00 NicolBolas wrote:
Portal 2 takes nothing away from hl2EP3 development, you can already see that EP3 will be on the improved engine portal 2 is on, also seperate teams


I bet you also think that Ep3 was being developed for the last 3 years too. Please. Valve made two L4D games while working on Portal 2 and constantly throwing content to TF2.

Valve is not a particularly large company. If they hadn't made Portal 2, the time, money, and people that would have gone into Portal 2's development could have gone into Ep3's development. We could have been getting Episode 3 right now, but we're not. We're getting Portal 2 instead, because Portal somehow out-ranks Half-Life for development resources. Even though HL is the only reason Valve exists.


You have to remember, the voice actor for Breen died, no one knows outside of valve IF they needed him for ep3, maybe he had a big part in it and had to change a lot of the story of ep3 to do without him.

EP3 was not in development the last three years, probably very little and has been worked on a lot more for at least a year now.

But im a major valve die hard, i grew up on half life, so i dont care if ep3 isnt out for another year or two because it will be the last half life for a long long time.

Breen died in HL2, so they don't need his voice actor anymore.

Either way, if you listened to the commentary included in the first L4D you'd know that the L4D team is not the same team working on HL2: EP1/2/3 or TF2.

To be honest, I'm kind of disappointed that it's taking them so long to finish EP3, and I'm kind of expecting them to already be working on HL3 instead. It's been five (or was it six?) years since EP1 came out, four years since EP2 came out and we've still got zero information on EP3.

On Portal 2: I won't be buying it any time soon. The first game was fun, but it didn't really "waw" me. It was a good addition to the Orange Box, but I'd have never bought it outside of that package.

I guess you're not that into revolutionary gaming experiences? Portal was by far the best game in the Orange Box. Team Fortress 2 was pretty fun but Portal was pure genius and deserves more respect.

I don't see how Portal was or is revolutionary. It had zero influence on the development of games after it. It was a fun yet short puzzle game, but that was about it. TF2 was fun, but I played a lot of TFC back in the day so I got tired of that game pretty quickly too. I already owned HL2 and EP1 and finished those repeatedly.

I basically bought the orange box for EP2, which I still play pretty often (best pacing in any game ever). That's how much of a HL2 fanatic I am.

I'm one of those people who wants VALVE to stop making stuff like Portal, L4D or DOTA2 and focus all available resources on making EP3 even better (and three times longer) than EP2.


The Half Life series that you are so fanatical about, is highly connected to Portal. It is amazing to me that you love the game so much and yet know very little about the greater story line.
You should maybe look around a little bit and stop being so closed minded. There is plenty of information on the links between the two.

1. "Borealis": The Borealis is an Aperture Science research vessel introduced in Half-Life 2: Episode Two. According to Isaac Kleiner, Aperture was working on a promising project, but in their rush to beat Black Mesa for funding, they neglected ordinary safety rules and it appears that the ship simply disappeared with parts of her dry dock, which earned her an almost legendary stature. It is assumed that the Borealis contained an immensely powerful and dangerous secret.

2. Aperture Science(Portal) and Black Mesa(Half Life) continually fought for government contracts.

3. ....I wont list them all. Go look for your self as they are not hard to find.

They are not wasting time on this useless "stuff", and I'd suggest you don't blabber on about things you know little-to-nothing about.

Yea but still, you can't deny the fact that if Valve spent all it's resources to develop Half-Life instead of making Portal 1&2 + TF2, we'd have HL EP3 by now.

Personally I don't mind the wait for EP3.. I love Portal and TF. ))
Playgu
Body_Shield
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Canada3373 Posts
April 15 2011 11:30 GMT
#73
I'm going into G-man withdrawal here
So, five-card stud, nothing wild... and the sky's the limit
Thereisnosaurus
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Australia1822 Posts
April 15 2011 11:30 GMT
#74
for the people complaining about cost, if you preorder it it's 33% cheaper than any other triple a pc title around. More so for console. It's a full featured single player + seperate coop game, plus knowing valve they'll have factored in some surprises gameplay wise so you get way more than your money is worth.

For the people waiting till it gets cheaper, c'mon. Pirate all the overpriced EA bullshit you like, but when a developer tries to give you value for money, SUPPORT THEM, or you'll never see it catch on.
Poisonous Sheep counter Hydras
how2TL
Profile Joined August 2010
1197 Posts
April 15 2011 11:37 GMT
#75
On April 15 2011 20:10 maartendq wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 15 2011 19:43 krbz wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +

On April 15 2011 17:23 maartendq wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 15 2011 11:44 Fyodor wrote:
On April 15 2011 06:18 maartendq wrote:
On February 28 2011 08:34 Dankmids wrote:
On February 28 2011 06:00 NicolBolas wrote:
Portal 2 takes nothing away from hl2EP3 development, you can already see that EP3 will be on the improved engine portal 2 is on, also seperate teams


I bet you also think that Ep3 was being developed for the last 3 years too. Please. Valve made two L4D games while working on Portal 2 and constantly throwing content to TF2.

Valve is not a particularly large company. If they hadn't made Portal 2, the time, money, and people that would have gone into Portal 2's development could have gone into Ep3's development. We could have been getting Episode 3 right now, but we're not. We're getting Portal 2 instead, because Portal somehow out-ranks Half-Life for development resources. Even though HL is the only reason Valve exists.


You have to remember, the voice actor for Breen died, no one knows outside of valve IF they needed him for ep3, maybe he had a big part in it and had to change a lot of the story of ep3 to do without him.

EP3 was not in development the last three years, probably very little and has been worked on a lot more for at least a year now.

But im a major valve die hard, i grew up on half life, so i dont care if ep3 isnt out for another year or two because it will be the last half life for a long long time.

Breen died in HL2, so they don't need his voice actor anymore.

Either way, if you listened to the commentary included in the first L4D you'd know that the L4D team is not the same team working on HL2: EP1/2/3 or TF2.

To be honest, I'm kind of disappointed that it's taking them so long to finish EP3, and I'm kind of expecting them to already be working on HL3 instead. It's been five (or was it six?) years since EP1 came out, four years since EP2 came out and we've still got zero information on EP3.

On Portal 2: I won't be buying it any time soon. The first game was fun, but it didn't really "waw" me. It was a good addition to the Orange Box, but I'd have never bought it outside of that package.

I guess you're not that into revolutionary gaming experiences? Portal was by far the best game in the Orange Box. Team Fortress 2 was pretty fun but Portal was pure genius and deserves more respect.

I don't see how Portal was or is revolutionary. It had zero influence on the development of games after it. It was a fun yet short puzzle game, but that was about it. TF2 was fun, but I played a lot of TFC back in the day so I got tired of that game pretty quickly too. I already owned HL2 and EP1 and finished those repeatedly.

I basically bought the orange box for EP2, which I still play pretty often (best pacing in any game ever). That's how much of a HL2 fanatic I am.

I'm one of those people who wants VALVE to stop making stuff like Portal, L4D or DOTA2 and focus all available resources on making EP3 even better (and three times longer) than EP2.


The Half Life series that you are so fanatical about, is highly connected to Portal. It is amazing to me that you love the game so much and yet know very little about the greater story line.
You should maybe look around a little bit and stop being so closed minded. There is plenty of information on the links between the two.

1. "Borealis": The Borealis is an Aperture Science research vessel introduced in Half-Life 2: Episode Two. According to Isaac Kleiner, Aperture was working on a promising project, but in their rush to beat Black Mesa for funding, they neglected ordinary safety rules and it appears that the ship simply disappeared with parts of her dry dock, which earned her an almost legendary stature. It is assumed that the Borealis contained an immensely powerful and dangerous secret.

2. Aperture Science(Portal) and Black Mesa(Half Life) continually fought for government contracts.

3. ....I wont list them all. Go look for your self as they are not hard to find.

They are not wasting time on this useless "stuff", and I'd suggest you don't blabber on about things you know little-to-nothing about.

I am fully aware of all these connections, having finished the original game and its episodes easily over 30 times. I prefer shooting bullets over shooting portals. It's kind of that simple.


And some people really like Portal. And they're in this particular thread for some reason. And you're shitting on the game for a really bad reason. So go.
maartendq
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Belgium3115 Posts
April 15 2011 12:05 GMT
#76
On April 15 2011 20:37 how2TL wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 15 2011 20:10 maartendq wrote:
On April 15 2011 19:43 krbz wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +

On April 15 2011 17:23 maartendq wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 15 2011 11:44 Fyodor wrote:
On April 15 2011 06:18 maartendq wrote:
On February 28 2011 08:34 Dankmids wrote:
On February 28 2011 06:00 NicolBolas wrote:
Portal 2 takes nothing away from hl2EP3 development, you can already see that EP3 will be on the improved engine portal 2 is on, also seperate teams


I bet you also think that Ep3 was being developed for the last 3 years too. Please. Valve made two L4D games while working on Portal 2 and constantly throwing content to TF2.

Valve is not a particularly large company. If they hadn't made Portal 2, the time, money, and people that would have gone into Portal 2's development could have gone into Ep3's development. We could have been getting Episode 3 right now, but we're not. We're getting Portal 2 instead, because Portal somehow out-ranks Half-Life for development resources. Even though HL is the only reason Valve exists.


You have to remember, the voice actor for Breen died, no one knows outside of valve IF they needed him for ep3, maybe he had a big part in it and had to change a lot of the story of ep3 to do without him.

EP3 was not in development the last three years, probably very little and has been worked on a lot more for at least a year now.

But im a major valve die hard, i grew up on half life, so i dont care if ep3 isnt out for another year or two because it will be the last half life for a long long time.

Breen died in HL2, so they don't need his voice actor anymore.

Either way, if you listened to the commentary included in the first L4D you'd know that the L4D team is not the same team working on HL2: EP1/2/3 or TF2.

To be honest, I'm kind of disappointed that it's taking them so long to finish EP3, and I'm kind of expecting them to already be working on HL3 instead. It's been five (or was it six?) years since EP1 came out, four years since EP2 came out and we've still got zero information on EP3.

On Portal 2: I won't be buying it any time soon. The first game was fun, but it didn't really "waw" me. It was a good addition to the Orange Box, but I'd have never bought it outside of that package.

I guess you're not that into revolutionary gaming experiences? Portal was by far the best game in the Orange Box. Team Fortress 2 was pretty fun but Portal was pure genius and deserves more respect.

I don't see how Portal was or is revolutionary. It had zero influence on the development of games after it. It was a fun yet short puzzle game, but that was about it. TF2 was fun, but I played a lot of TFC back in the day so I got tired of that game pretty quickly too. I already owned HL2 and EP1 and finished those repeatedly.

I basically bought the orange box for EP2, which I still play pretty often (best pacing in any game ever). That's how much of a HL2 fanatic I am.

I'm one of those people who wants VALVE to stop making stuff like Portal, L4D or DOTA2 and focus all available resources on making EP3 even better (and three times longer) than EP2.


The Half Life series that you are so fanatical about, is highly connected to Portal. It is amazing to me that you love the game so much and yet know very little about the greater story line.
You should maybe look around a little bit and stop being so closed minded. There is plenty of information on the links between the two.

1. "Borealis": The Borealis is an Aperture Science research vessel introduced in Half-Life 2: Episode Two. According to Isaac Kleiner, Aperture was working on a promising project, but in their rush to beat Black Mesa for funding, they neglected ordinary safety rules and it appears that the ship simply disappeared with parts of her dry dock, which earned her an almost legendary stature. It is assumed that the Borealis contained an immensely powerful and dangerous secret.

2. Aperture Science(Portal) and Black Mesa(Half Life) continually fought for government contracts.

3. ....I wont list them all. Go look for your self as they are not hard to find.

They are not wasting time on this useless "stuff", and I'd suggest you don't blabber on about things you know little-to-nothing about.

I am fully aware of all these connections, having finished the original game and its episodes easily over 30 times. I prefer shooting bullets over shooting portals. It's kind of that simple.


And some people really like Portal. And they're in this particular thread for some reason. And you're shitting on the game for a really bad reason. So go.

How am I shitting on the game when the only two things I've said are that I don't find portal 1 a milestone of a game and that I'd rather have valve finish EP3 instead of working on their sideprojects?
eviltomahawk
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States11135 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-15 12:15:29
April 15 2011 12:14 GMT
#77
On April 15 2011 21:05 maartendq wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 15 2011 20:37 how2TL wrote:
On April 15 2011 20:10 maartendq wrote:
On April 15 2011 19:43 krbz wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +

On April 15 2011 17:23 maartendq wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 15 2011 11:44 Fyodor wrote:
On April 15 2011 06:18 maartendq wrote:
On February 28 2011 08:34 Dankmids wrote:
On February 28 2011 06:00 NicolBolas wrote:
Portal 2 takes nothing away from hl2EP3 development, you can already see that EP3 will be on the improved engine portal 2 is on, also seperate teams


I bet you also think that Ep3 was being developed for the last 3 years too. Please. Valve made two L4D games while working on Portal 2 and constantly throwing content to TF2.

Valve is not a particularly large company. If they hadn't made Portal 2, the time, money, and people that would have gone into Portal 2's development could have gone into Ep3's development. We could have been getting Episode 3 right now, but we're not. We're getting Portal 2 instead, because Portal somehow out-ranks Half-Life for development resources. Even though HL is the only reason Valve exists.


You have to remember, the voice actor for Breen died, no one knows outside of valve IF they needed him for ep3, maybe he had a big part in it and had to change a lot of the story of ep3 to do without him.

EP3 was not in development the last three years, probably very little and has been worked on a lot more for at least a year now.

But im a major valve die hard, i grew up on half life, so i dont care if ep3 isnt out for another year or two because it will be the last half life for a long long time.

Breen died in HL2, so they don't need his voice actor anymore.

Either way, if you listened to the commentary included in the first L4D you'd know that the L4D team is not the same team working on HL2: EP1/2/3 or TF2.

To be honest, I'm kind of disappointed that it's taking them so long to finish EP3, and I'm kind of expecting them to already be working on HL3 instead. It's been five (or was it six?) years since EP1 came out, four years since EP2 came out and we've still got zero information on EP3.

On Portal 2: I won't be buying it any time soon. The first game was fun, but it didn't really "waw" me. It was a good addition to the Orange Box, but I'd have never bought it outside of that package.

I guess you're not that into revolutionary gaming experiences? Portal was by far the best game in the Orange Box. Team Fortress 2 was pretty fun but Portal was pure genius and deserves more respect.

I don't see how Portal was or is revolutionary. It had zero influence on the development of games after it. It was a fun yet short puzzle game, but that was about it. TF2 was fun, but I played a lot of TFC back in the day so I got tired of that game pretty quickly too. I already owned HL2 and EP1 and finished those repeatedly.

I basically bought the orange box for EP2, which I still play pretty often (best pacing in any game ever). That's how much of a HL2 fanatic I am.

I'm one of those people who wants VALVE to stop making stuff like Portal, L4D or DOTA2 and focus all available resources on making EP3 even better (and three times longer) than EP2.


The Half Life series that you are so fanatical about, is highly connected to Portal. It is amazing to me that you love the game so much and yet know very little about the greater story line.
You should maybe look around a little bit and stop being so closed minded. There is plenty of information on the links between the two.

1. "Borealis": The Borealis is an Aperture Science research vessel introduced in Half-Life 2: Episode Two. According to Isaac Kleiner, Aperture was working on a promising project, but in their rush to beat Black Mesa for funding, they neglected ordinary safety rules and it appears that the ship simply disappeared with parts of her dry dock, which earned her an almost legendary stature. It is assumed that the Borealis contained an immensely powerful and dangerous secret.

2. Aperture Science(Portal) and Black Mesa(Half Life) continually fought for government contracts.

3. ....I wont list them all. Go look for your self as they are not hard to find.

They are not wasting time on this useless "stuff", and I'd suggest you don't blabber on about things you know little-to-nothing about.

I am fully aware of all these connections, having finished the original game and its episodes easily over 30 times. I prefer shooting bullets over shooting portals. It's kind of that simple.


And some people really like Portal. And they're in this particular thread for some reason. And you're shitting on the game for a really bad reason. So go.

How am I shitting on the game when the only two things I've said are that I don't find portal 1 a milestone of a game and that I'd rather have valve finish EP3 instead of working on their sideprojects?

Eh, this is a Portal 2 thread, so there are probably a ton of Portal fans viewing the thread that might take your opinion of Portal a bit too seriously. Probably not a good idea to express that opinion in the middle of a Portal thread. When in Rome, do as the Romans do.
ㅇㅅㅌㅅ
Acrofales
Profile Joined August 2010
Spain18450 Posts
April 15 2011 12:17 GMT
#78
On April 15 2011 21:05 maartendq wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 15 2011 20:37 how2TL wrote:
On April 15 2011 20:10 maartendq wrote:
On April 15 2011 19:43 krbz wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +

On April 15 2011 17:23 maartendq wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 15 2011 11:44 Fyodor wrote:
On April 15 2011 06:18 maartendq wrote:
On February 28 2011 08:34 Dankmids wrote:
On February 28 2011 06:00 NicolBolas wrote:
Portal 2 takes nothing away from hl2EP3 development, you can already see that EP3 will be on the improved engine portal 2 is on, also seperate teams


I bet you also think that Ep3 was being developed for the last 3 years too. Please. Valve made two L4D games while working on Portal 2 and constantly throwing content to TF2.

Valve is not a particularly large company. If they hadn't made Portal 2, the time, money, and people that would have gone into Portal 2's development could have gone into Ep3's development. We could have been getting Episode 3 right now, but we're not. We're getting Portal 2 instead, because Portal somehow out-ranks Half-Life for development resources. Even though HL is the only reason Valve exists.


You have to remember, the voice actor for Breen died, no one knows outside of valve IF they needed him for ep3, maybe he had a big part in it and had to change a lot of the story of ep3 to do without him.

EP3 was not in development the last three years, probably very little and has been worked on a lot more for at least a year now.

But im a major valve die hard, i grew up on half life, so i dont care if ep3 isnt out for another year or two because it will be the last half life for a long long time.

Breen died in HL2, so they don't need his voice actor anymore.

Either way, if you listened to the commentary included in the first L4D you'd know that the L4D team is not the same team working on HL2: EP1/2/3 or TF2.

To be honest, I'm kind of disappointed that it's taking them so long to finish EP3, and I'm kind of expecting them to already be working on HL3 instead. It's been five (or was it six?) years since EP1 came out, four years since EP2 came out and we've still got zero information on EP3.

On Portal 2: I won't be buying it any time soon. The first game was fun, but it didn't really "waw" me. It was a good addition to the Orange Box, but I'd have never bought it outside of that package.

I guess you're not that into revolutionary gaming experiences? Portal was by far the best game in the Orange Box. Team Fortress 2 was pretty fun but Portal was pure genius and deserves more respect.

I don't see how Portal was or is revolutionary. It had zero influence on the development of games after it. It was a fun yet short puzzle game, but that was about it. TF2 was fun, but I played a lot of TFC back in the day so I got tired of that game pretty quickly too. I already owned HL2 and EP1 and finished those repeatedly.

I basically bought the orange box for EP2, which I still play pretty often (best pacing in any game ever). That's how much of a HL2 fanatic I am.

I'm one of those people who wants VALVE to stop making stuff like Portal, L4D or DOTA2 and focus all available resources on making EP3 even better (and three times longer) than EP2.


The Half Life series that you are so fanatical about, is highly connected to Portal. It is amazing to me that you love the game so much and yet know very little about the greater story line.
You should maybe look around a little bit and stop being so closed minded. There is plenty of information on the links between the two.

1. "Borealis": The Borealis is an Aperture Science research vessel introduced in Half-Life 2: Episode Two. According to Isaac Kleiner, Aperture was working on a promising project, but in their rush to beat Black Mesa for funding, they neglected ordinary safety rules and it appears that the ship simply disappeared with parts of her dry dock, which earned her an almost legendary stature. It is assumed that the Borealis contained an immensely powerful and dangerous secret.

2. Aperture Science(Portal) and Black Mesa(Half Life) continually fought for government contracts.

3. ....I wont list them all. Go look for your self as they are not hard to find.

They are not wasting time on this useless "stuff", and I'd suggest you don't blabber on about things you know little-to-nothing about.

I am fully aware of all these connections, having finished the original game and its episodes easily over 30 times. I prefer shooting bullets over shooting portals. It's kind of that simple.


And some people really like Portal. And they're in this particular thread for some reason. And you're shitting on the game for a really bad reason. So go.

How am I shitting on the game when the only two things I've said are that I don't find portal 1 a milestone of a game and that I'd rather have valve finish EP3 instead of working on their sideprojects?

Who are you to call Portal 2 a side project? It'd be like saying Blizzard should've worked on Starcraft 2 instead of World of Warcraft... or Diablo 3 instead of Starcraft 2. Valve has a number of major franchises. Portal happens to be the newest, but that doesn't mean it isn't worthy of Valve's time. So, in short, your opinion is kinda worthless in this thread. I, for example, prefer shooting portals to shooting bullets (although I also thoroughly enjoyed HL).
Leporello
Profile Joined January 2011
United States2845 Posts
April 15 2011 12:25 GMT
#79
Psyched! I doubt this "early release" is actually going to happen, we'll probably get some sort of web ad-campaign instead, but whatever.


On April 15 2011 20:30 Thereisnosaurus wrote:
for the people complaining about cost, if you preorder it it's 33% cheaper than any other triple a pc title around. More so for console. It's a full featured single player + seperate coop game, plus knowing valve they'll have factored in some surprises gameplay wise so you get way more than your money is worth.

For the people waiting till it gets cheaper, c'mon. Pirate all the overpriced EA bullshit you like, but when a developer tries to give you value for money, SUPPORT THEM, or you'll never see it catch on.


Agreed a 100%. Valve doesn't rush their games, this looks like an obvious labor of love to me, and that's becoming a really rare thing in the gaming industry. I'm happy and delighted to give them my $45.
Big water
eviltomahawk
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States11135 Posts
April 15 2011 12:27 GMT
#80
On April 15 2011 20:30 Thereisnosaurus wrote:
for the people complaining about cost, if you preorder it it's 33% cheaper than any other triple a pc title around. More so for console. It's a full featured single player + seperate coop game, plus knowing valve they'll have factored in some surprises gameplay wise so you get way more than your money is worth.

For the people waiting till it gets cheaper, c'mon. Pirate all the overpriced EA bullshit you like, but when a developer tries to give you value for money, SUPPORT THEM, or you'll never see it catch on.

In addition, the PS3 version comes with a free copy of the PC version so that you can share the cross-platform co-op with your friends. Or enemies.
ㅇㅅㅌㅅ
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 8 9 10 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
NeuroSwarm 193
ProTech137
Nina 100
StarCraft: Brood War
Mong 218
Dewaltoss 114
Bale 38
ZergMaN 24
Noble 13
Icarus 7
League of Legends
JimRising 721
Other Games
summit1g9800
Sick189
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick839
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream41
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 45
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2184
League of Legends
• Lourlo1122
• Rush1047
• Stunt209
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
3h 52m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
4h 52m
Monday Night Weeklies
9h 52m
Replay Cast
16h 52m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 3h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 4h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 17h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.