• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:26
CEST 16:26
KST 23:26
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon104
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6200 users

Magic: The Gathering - Page 65

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 63 64 65 66 67 665 Next
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
September 23 2011 16:33 GMT
#1281
On September 23 2011 23:57 Hikko wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 23 2011 23:18 DEN1ED wrote:
Alara??? What cards from alara are played in modern/legacy? From the entire block, I can only think of elspeth, nacatl, and cascade cards, but cascade is just broken.

With the size of the cardpool for these formats, you aren't going to get more than maybe 3 cards from a set that might have an impact on these formats.


Qasali Pridemage, Noble Heirarch, Elspeth, Wild Nacatl, Bloodbraid Elf, Path to Exile, Relic of Progenitus, Maelstrom Pulse, Knight of the Reliquary, Ad Nauseum, Ethersworn Canonist, Cascade cards (like Bloodbraid Elf), Sphinx of the Steel Wind, Magister Sphinx, Cruel Ultimatum, Ranger of Eos, Progenitus....

So yeah, just a few.

Show nested quote +
On September 23 2011 23:40 Judicator wrote:
On September 23 2011 23:33 Orpheos wrote:
noble hierarch, path to exile?


Path over Swords? Nah...



Legacy Zoo always plays Path over Swords


It's nice to be able to say that now. Cruel Ultimatum shouldn't be on that list.

It's also nice to compare sets to blocks. My point is that true power levels aren't known yet despite the full spoilers.
Get it by your hands...
DEN1ED
Profile Joined December 2009
United States1087 Posts
September 23 2011 16:41 GMT
#1282
On September 23 2011 23:57 Hikko wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 23 2011 23:18 DEN1ED wrote:
Alara??? What cards from alara are played in modern/legacy? From the entire block, I can only think of elspeth, nacatl, and cascade cards, but cascade is just broken.

With the size of the cardpool for these formats, you aren't going to get more than maybe 3 cards from a set that might have an impact on these formats.


Qasali Pridemage, Noble Heirarch, Elspeth, Wild Nacatl, Bloodbraid Elf, Path to Exile, Relic of Progenitus, Maelstrom Pulse, Knight of the Reliquary, Ad Nauseum, Ethersworn Canonist, Cascade cards (like Bloodbraid Elf), Sphinx of the Steel Wind, Magister Sphinx, Cruel Ultimatum, Ranger of Eos, Progenitus....

So yeah, just a few.


Kinda reaching there at the end. Cruel ultimatum, maelstrom pulse and ranger don't see play. The sphinxs are maybe a 1 of in reanimator. Canonist is SB. Ad nauseum in bad combo decks. That leaves maybe 9-12 cards from the block that have a real impact. Ok, so 3-4 cards a set.
DCLXVI
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States729 Posts
September 23 2011 16:47 GMT
#1283
Wow, that was not a discussion I was expecting. I was just mentioning how I don't think a rare can stay 30$ not matter how good it is in the first set of a block. People will be drafting and cracking Innistrad packs for the next 9? months, there is no way the demand can stay high enough for that. IMO the mage will jump to 35 maaaaaaybe 40 on the day of prerelease/release, then down to 25-28 and trickle down from there until it hits 20-22 in 3 months. Thats why I said I would sell at 30, i think in a couple of weeks 25 will be a reasonable price, and I can put off playing with him till then.
I can already see the ending
RoosterSamurai
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Japan2108 Posts
September 23 2011 18:21 GMT
#1284
On September 24 2011 01:47 DCLXVI wrote:
Wow, that was not a discussion I was expecting. I was just mentioning how I don't think a rare can stay 30$ not matter how good it is in the first set of a block. People will be drafting and cracking Innistrad packs for the next 9? months, there is no way the demand can stay high enough for that. IMO the mage will jump to 35 maaaaaaybe 40 on the day of prerelease/release, then down to 25-28 and trickle down from there until it hits 20-22 in 3 months. Thats why I said I would sell at 30, i think in a couple of weeks 25 will be a reasonable price, and I can put off playing with him till then.

If they don't short-print it then the market will get flooded with snapcaster mages, and they'll dip in value. When solemn Simulacrum peaked it was about 5 tix/ea. Now you can pick them up for 2.5
MCMcEmcee
Profile Joined April 2008
United States1609 Posts
September 23 2011 19:05 GMT
#1285
first set of the last 3 blocks-

Shards of Alara:
Elspeth (alternate win condition in white midrange/control decks), Ethersworn Canonist (sideboard against combo), Fatestitcher (Vintage Dredge enabler), Tezzeret the Seeker (Vintage tutor/engine/win condition), Ad Nauseam (enabler for ANT decks, also ANC in Modern but that deck hasn't proven itself), Elvish Visionary (draw in Legacy/Modern Elves), Wild Nacatl (Zoo, current baseline 1 drop aggro creature, got Mental Misstep banned in Modern), Bant Charm (Modern PT finalist), Blightning (burn/discard in Modern), Empyrial Archangel (reanimation target), Esper Charm (Modern draw/discard/removal), Rhox War Monk (anti-aggro staple), Tidehollow Sculler (tutorable Modern WB discard/threat), Relic of Progenitus (anti-graveyard option)

Zendikar:
Iona (reanimation target, lock piece), Mindbreak Trap (anti-combo), Spell Pierce (major Vintage counterspell), Vampire Hexmage (got Dark Depths banned in Modern), Goblin Guide (mono-red 1 drop), Punishing Fire (removal/burn engine in Modern), Pyromancer Ascension (engine in Modern, helped get Preordain, Ponder, and Rite of Flame banned in Modern), Lotus Cobra (mana accel in Vintage), Expedition Map (tutor for Cloudpost/Vesuva/Glimmerpost, helped get Cloudpost banned in Modern), fetchlands (mana fixing in all formats), Valakut (got itself banned in Modern)

Scars of Mirrodin:
Memnite (0 cost creature with power for Affinity), Mox Opal (free artifact mana for Affinity), Galvanic Blast (R for 4 for Modern Affinity), Nihil Spellbomb (anti-graveyard), Myr Battlesphere (Tinker target, obsoleted by Blightsteel Colossus like every other non-Time Vault Tinker target), Steel Hellkite (Tinker target), Precursor Golem (sees some play in Vintage Workshops), Sword of Body and Mind (extra Stoneforge Mystic target against Merfolk, Tarmogoyf), Glimmerpost (got Cloudpost banned in Modern)

What does that mean for Innistrad? Who knows. Snapcaster Mage, Liliana, Past in Flames all have potential. Skaab Ruinator seems promising, but probably not going to find a spot with Tarmogoyf and Knight in older formats. Harvest Pyre might see play as a way for mono-red to kill big goyfs and knights with 1 card; probably not, but it's a possibility.
[iHs]MCMcEmcee@UFO | のヮの
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
September 23 2011 19:12 GMT
#1286
Stretching majorly on Myr Battlesphere and Steel Hellkite and some of the other targets. The majority of cards you listed see niche play, not dominating play.
Get it by your hands...
DEN1ED
Profile Joined December 2009
United States1087 Posts
September 23 2011 19:43 GMT
#1287
On September 24 2011 04:12 Judicator wrote:
Stretching majorly on Myr Battlesphere and Steel Hellkite and some of the other targets. The majority of cards you listed see niche play, not dominating play.

Exactly, and I'm not sure what "Wild Nacatl (Zoo, current baseline 1 drop aggro creature, got Mental Misstep banned in Modern)" is supposed to mean... Wild nacatl wouldn't see nearly as much play if misstep was legal, but wotc want people to play with certain cards. Which is ridiculous and not an argument for a card. Like wow, if you ban the best counter to a card, that card becomes much better. Shocking.
520
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States2822 Posts
September 23 2011 19:55 GMT
#1288
On September 24 2011 04:12 Judicator wrote:
Stretching majorly on Myr Battlesphere and Steel Hellkite and some of the other targets. The majority of cards you listed see niche play, not dominating play.

Myr Battlesphere is still used over Blightsteel in some cases in Vintage Tinker. Steel Hellkite is a bit of a stretch, though.
Writer
slyboogie
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States3423 Posts
September 24 2011 05:47 GMT
#1289
How many of you guys are signed up for the prerelease? I'm so stoked for it, I know a lot of people dislike the Sealed format but I've always had pretty good experiences with it. I know it depends on the packs but I'd love to build G/R Werewolf.

Could Instigator Gang and Kruin Outlaw scream "LIMITED" any more? I think Innistrad packs are a little bit different, there will ALWAYS be a double-faced card and that card has a chance to be any rarity - regardless of the original. I'm sure we'll all be craving the sacred grail of Random Foil Mythic+Mythic Rare+Garruk.
"We dug coal together." Boyd Crowder, Justified
Cel.erity
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States4890 Posts
September 24 2011 17:37 GMT
#1290
On September 24 2011 03:21 RoosterSamurai wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 24 2011 01:47 DCLXVI wrote:
Wow, that was not a discussion I was expecting. I was just mentioning how I don't think a rare can stay 30$ not matter how good it is in the first set of a block. People will be drafting and cracking Innistrad packs for the next 9? months, there is no way the demand can stay high enough for that. IMO the mage will jump to 35 maaaaaaybe 40 on the day of prerelease/release, then down to 25-28 and trickle down from there until it hits 20-22 in 3 months. Thats why I said I would sell at 30, i think in a couple of weeks 25 will be a reasonable price, and I can put off playing with him till then.

If they don't short-print it then the market will get flooded with snapcaster mages, and they'll dip in value. When solemn Simulacrum peaked it was about 5 tix/ea. Now you can pick them up for 2.5


You're talking about MTGO prices though, Solemn is a $10 card in real life. Modo usually has lower prices because of the constant drafting and constant selling to bots, which results in a flooded economy. In paper Magic, cards don't drop in price as fast because there isn't as much saturation.

Anyway, I agree that it's hard to imagine a rare stabilizing in price over $20. I think it will dip to around $15 assuming it's a staple in Standard, much less if it isn't, and the value may eventually climb after Innistrad block if it sees play in Legacy. The only reason he is so expensive right now is because the rares in this set look so weak, and he stands out.
We found Dove in a soapless place.
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
September 24 2011 21:10 GMT
#1291
Played against a guy in the draft that opened a foil Garruk, landed him on turn 4 2/3 games, and never got to use an ability other than his fight because the new Garruk is terrible.

I opened the worst sealed pool in the history of mankind, though, so it didn't matter. Plus drawing 10 lands in a row is cool.

I had 2 Slayer of the Wicked's which was pretty much my best card. I had a Bloodline Keeper that I couldn't play because all I had in black was the 1 drop deathtouch, 2 zombies, the zombie lord that depends on the number of zombies you have (2), and a couple unplayables.

Not to mention there were 86 people in a tiny card shop playing on the floor/warhammer tables and it was over 100 degrees thanks to shitty AC. I just dropped.
slyboogie
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States3423 Posts
September 24 2011 21:24 GMT
#1292
That sounds horrifying. But about Garruk, just as a 4 mana green removal it's still kinda okay. Plus potential upside.
"We dug coal together." Boyd Crowder, Justified
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-25 00:10:12
September 24 2011 23:30 GMT
#1293
On September 25 2011 06:24 slyboogie wrote:
That sounds horrifying. But about Garruk, just as a 4 mana green removal it's still kinda okay. Plus potential upside.


He traded it for a pump spell both times. This one to be specific.

He had a turn 5 Bloodgift Demon every game, though, and Slayer of the Wicked doesn't kill him, so I was just fucked until he made a grevious misplay and attacked even though I didn't freaking tap it to walk right into a Rebuke. The 2 games he didn't do that were the ones I lost (surprise surprise).

Oh and take this at face value:

Every person that I walked by, sat next to, played, or played against had at least a white splash if not playing white mainly.
Hikko
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States1126 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-25 05:27:57
September 25 2011 05:26 GMT
#1294
Innistrad may suck for Standard with Scars block still in the mix, but holy cow. The pre-release (played 5 rounds of sealed and an 8-man draft afterwards) was the most fun I've ever had in any MTG limited.

I was really worried at first, but Wizards really did an amazing job

EDIT: When Garruk was spoiled, I thought he was terrible. After seeing him played on a few tables...he's just beyond awful.
♥
dignity
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada908 Posts
September 25 2011 06:00 GMT
#1295
Funnily enough the guy who won first place at my store (there were 35 people) ran black/red vampires/werewolves. Granted he did crack the mythic red/black legend.

I have got to say this was the most dynamic limited set I have played in so far. The other sets I have played in (I am looking at you Scars) had very small amount of viable archetypes that were runnable.
MCMcEmcee
Profile Joined April 2008
United States1609 Posts
September 25 2011 07:41 GMT
#1296
Snapcaster Mage is so sickkkkkkkk

Past in Flames is even sickerrrrrrr
[iHs]MCMcEmcee@UFO | のヮの
Jaksiel
Profile Joined November 2008
United States4130 Posts
September 25 2011 14:40 GMT
#1297
You guys are crazy. Garruk is very good in limited assuming you're not just running him out there as your first play of the game on turn 4. If you have any backup for him at all, you immediately nuke a 1 or 2 power creature and you're so far ahead.
Zero fighting.
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
September 25 2011 15:27 GMT
#1298
On September 25 2011 23:40 Jaksiel wrote:
You guys are crazy. Garruk is very good in limited assuming you're not just running him out there as your first play of the game on turn 4. If you have any backup for him at all, you immediately nuke a 1 or 2 power creature and you're so far ahead.


If you have a perfect deck and your opponent plays into it, yeah, he's nice. The problem is that this format has a ton of pump spells/combat tricks, plenty of damage spells that do 2 or more, and plenty of ways to get through. There are much better bombs anyway, having a Bloodline Keeper turn 4 will win you 100x more games than Garruk. Same goes for a turn 4 Olivia. Don't get me started on turn 5/6 bombs.
last.resistance
Profile Joined January 2011
Canada543 Posts
September 25 2011 15:56 GMT
#1299
Is Innistrad going to be released on Magic Online on September 30 as well or is there going to be a delay?

I missed yesterday's prerelease because of work and I am going to miss today's as well due to a fantasy hockey draft.

Seems like a mostly positive reaction to the new set from a limited stand point from what I've seen.
Cel.erity
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States4890 Posts
September 25 2011 16:40 GMT
#1300
On September 26 2011 00:56 last.resistance wrote:
Is Innistrad going to be released on Magic Online on September 30 as well or is there going to be a delay?

I missed yesterday's prerelease because of work and I am going to miss today's as well due to a fantasy hockey draft.

Seems like a mostly positive reaction to the new set from a limited stand point from what I've seen.


There's always a delay; I believe Innistrad will be legal on MtGO on the 16th, and prerelease events will begin on the 17th. "Release" events probably a week or two after that.
We found Dove in a soapless place.
Prev 1 63 64 65 66 67 665 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
WardiTV Weekly
11:00
WardiTV Mondays #106
IntoTheiNu 977
WardiTV756
OGKoka 251
Rex136
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 251
ProTech140
Rex 136
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 2801
Shuttle 1661
EffOrt 828
BeSt 643
Light 394
Mini 369
firebathero 358
ZerO 282
Stork 279
ggaemo 274
[ Show more ]
Rush 177
Barracks 119
Shine 81
Zeus 80
Killer 60
Yoon 42
sorry 41
Hyun 37
Mong 33
Shinee 30
Aegong 27
Sexy 27
ToSsGirL 26
soO 21
Terrorterran 21
Bale 19
HiyA 17
ajuk12(nOOB) 11
yabsab 11
Sacsri 11
zelot 8
Noble 6
Dota 2
qojqva3524
Dendi2051
BananaSlamJamma317
LuMiX1
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes525
Other Games
singsing2247
hiko1010
B2W.Neo832
Lowko362
Pyrionflax226
Sick202
Liquid`VortiX186
Liquid`RaSZi140
ArmadaUGS102
Mew2King38
ZerO(Twitch)14
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream525
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 8
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 6
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH297
• mYiSmile110
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• FirePhoenix0
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2084
• Nemesis1877
• TFBlade585
Other Games
• WagamamaTV265
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
1h 35m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19h 35m
Afreeca Starleague
19h 35m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 9h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 20h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
5 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.