• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:53
CEST 18:53
KST 01:53
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7118 users

Magic: The Gathering - Page 66

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 64 65 66 67 68 665 Next
Cytokinesis
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada330 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-25 22:30:02
September 25 2011 22:29 GMT
#1301
What formats do you guys mostly play? It's tough to decide where to invest because everything but standard is ridiculously expensive. Modern is the most interesting to me, especially since the most recent bannings. I just build budget decks. Pauper is really rare to find for casual play.

I think standard is going to be become...odd. I was originally planning on doing vamps, but you lose sweet cards like bloodghast and the pay B 2 life vampire. Also, I'm wholly unimpressed with the vampire mythic from the set. I mean it's not bad, but as a four drop slot I think there are better options.

That being said I'm going to be experimenting a lot with lux cannon control because this new standard is a lot slower because of the lost lands.
Ive seen people who dont believe in sleep count sheep with calculators that double as alarm clocks
Cel.erity
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States4890 Posts
September 25 2011 22:47 GMT
#1302
Lux Cannon might actually be sweet in the new standard. It's heading into a more control-oriented metagame, with actual control cards and not just 2drops+equipment+planeswalkers. I kind of like the idea of revitalizing Kibler U/B with Phyrexian Crusader, Contagion Clasp, etc. but making it more white-heavy and just using blue for Tezzeret.

Anyway, I've already seen a lot of esper control lists, there are many ways to take it. You might want to consider Lux Cannon in such a deck. The only problem I think is that artifact kill is going to be valued a lot higher than it used to be.
We found Dove in a soapless place.
GruGloG
Profile Joined December 2008
Netherlands114 Posts
September 25 2011 22:54 GMT
#1303
,Sweet jesus was Innistrad fun to play in limited! From my first tries it seems like to most challenging format I´ve ever tried, and some pretty complex and dynamic boardstates arose at my local prerelease. So stoked to this getting online at MODO.
dignity
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada908 Posts
September 26 2011 06:32 GMT
#1304
I play mainly standard and I actually toyed around with lux cannon decks. With the cards from new phyrexia (namingly the unwinding clock) lux cannons get online ridiculously fast. Throw in rares that nobody uses such as semblance anvils and mirror works and you will have lots of cannons provided you survive until then.

From what I have seen, it looks like there will be 3/4 prominent standard deck architypes after rotation. Blue/white hexblade will definitely be a popular choice, as well as green/blue hexblade (hexblade is hexproof creatures with swords). Birthing pod decks will also be popular. Red/black vampires, Blue/black zombies, Green/white humans, and maybe even goblins might be ran.

On a side note, I just managed to pull off a turn 2 bloodthirsted furyborn hellkite against my friend.
stk01001
Profile Joined September 2007
United States786 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-26 17:02:40
September 26 2011 15:31 GMT
#1305
On September 26 2011 15:32 dignity wrote:
I play mainly standard and I actually toyed around with lux cannon decks. With the cards from new phyrexia (namingly the unwinding clock) lux cannons get online ridiculously fast. Throw in rares that nobody uses such as semblance anvils and mirror works and you will have lots of cannons provided you survive until then.

From what I have seen, it looks like there will be 3/4 prominent standard deck architypes after rotation. Blue/white hexblade will definitely be a popular choice, as well as green/blue hexblade (hexblade is hexproof creatures with swords). Birthing pod decks will also be popular. Red/black vampires, Blue/black zombies, Green/white humans, and maybe even goblins might be ran.

On a side note, I just managed to pull off a turn 2 bloodthirsted furyborn hellkite against my friend.


umm how exactly is a turn 2 furyborn hellkite even possible? doesn't it cost 7 mana? I'm assuming your not talking about standard or limited. (pretty sure it isn't even possible in Modern)
a.k.a reLapSe ---
Effay
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States153 Posts
September 26 2011 15:34 GMT
#1306
Is there an active scene for the pauper format online still? I'd like to play this game again but most constructed formats are too expensive for me.
Obsession: The weak minded's name for dedication
Cixah
Profile Joined July 2010
United States11285 Posts
September 26 2011 17:27 GMT
#1307
You can do it in standard after innistrad. Turn 1 artifact + Goblin Birthing Thing (makes 3 1/1s if you sac an artifact). Turn 2, swing for 3, play the 1 mana red ritual that you have to sac a dude for to make 3 red, tap 1 more land, Play Geosurge, Cast Furyborn Hellkite bloodlusted.
Hug The Goat! Hug the Goat! Hug the Goat!
dignity
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada908 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-26 17:35:15
September 26 2011 17:30 GMT
#1308
I did a turn 1 goblin arsonist and mountain. Turn 2 swing (he had no blockers) Infernal plunge sacrificing the goblin dealing one more damage to him, played priest of urabrask, infernal plunged that, geosurge, furyborn hellkite. Turn 3 I swing and after combat just used fling for the win.

This is all standard.

You can actually get out a bloodthirsted hellkite turn one by doing the following (this is a god hand though)

This would be your starting hand:
Chancellor of the forge
infernal plunge
infernal plunge
geosurge
furyborn hellkite
mountain
priest of urabrask

Play mountain, you have a hasted 1/1 goblin token so you can hit them for 1. Proceed to combo off with infernal plunge, the priest, and geosurge after attacking. This works with a memnite too but you don't get the bloodthirst, so you might drop an infernal titan or wurmcoil engine turn one instead if you do not want to run the chancellor.
slyboogie
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States3423 Posts
September 26 2011 18:02 GMT
#1309
I was 8th in a group of around 30 in my Prerelease. I was 2-2 because I suck at Magic. I didn't end up R/G like I had wished, even though I did have a Instigator Gang and two other werewolves in Green, the support in those colors were just too weak. I ended with a W/B removal archetype, I had Rebuke, Smite, Tribute to Hunger - but no Bonds of Faith and no Dead Weights =((((((((((

My rares were: Bloodgift Demon(yay!) Witchbane Orb(boo!) Elite Inquisitor(pretty yay!) Kessig Wolf Run(not my color,) Rooftop Storm(-.-) Instigator Gang and Charmbreaker Devil. I mean...I know the red rares are really good but I just lacked card quality past those rares. I lost to the first place guy, who had Olivia Voldaren, Lord of Lineage, 2(!) Harvest Pyres, 2(!) Brimstone Volleys, a bunch of those 2/1 deals 1 damage when blocked or blocks and the Morbid Mythic Demon(which, to be fair, I never had to fight against,) I mean COME ON.

Anyways, enough excuses and whining, I just wanted to give some thoughts:

1. I think Olivia Voldaren is the single best card in Innistrad Limited. Obviously that isn't super shocking since she's a mythic rare, but there you go. Removal, Evasion, semi-MC on a 3/3 for 4?

2.Moving on, there is a lot of cheap conditional removal in Innistrad. There's something amusing about having your Bloodgift demon killed with a Dead Weight and a flung Burning Torch.

3. White is strong. Like probably the strongest color in the set for Limited. That being said, it really does not have the raw power of some of the other colors. This is mitigated by Equipment like Dagger, Pitchfork, etc. but obviously, in sealed, your access is limited.

4.Blue is not exactly the traditional Blue, I find it's less about disrupting your opponent and more about setting your own plan in motion.

5. Don't let anyone tell you that Black creatures are good, they are bad. Except for the First Strike Zombie, he's magnificent.
"We dug coal together." Boyd Crowder, Justified
Orpheos
Profile Joined April 2010
United States1663 Posts
September 26 2011 18:11 GMT
#1310
loling at the magic christmas land-ing thats happening in this thread.

I scrubed out at my prerelease, but in my defense, my pool was pretty awful and I played two of the best players in the area(one was on pro tour and states champ, other is a legacy specialist). pretty depressed with my deck, but I did pull a liliana so i guess i cant complain much. also my group of friends that came later didnt get into the prerelease because they ran out of slots(the midnight one had lik 70 people so they used all their product).
Risen
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States7927 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-27 18:27:03
September 27 2011 18:23 GMT
#1311
Been banned for a week b/c of sarcastic xenophobic comment. Alas.

Anyways, I went top 8 ((officially 5th place b/c of points)) at the Force of Will tournament in Flagstaff. Kind of pissed, I know I shouldn't have been able to make top 8 in the first place ((you'll understand when I post decklist)) but it still hurts to lose when you make top 8 against a deck that luck draws the shit out of you games 2 and 3.

Decklist (Slam Mythics and Win!)
25 plains
3 Sun Titans
2 Gideon "Muthafuckin" Juras
2 Elspeth Tirels
2 Swords of Feast and Famine
2 Swords of War and Peace
1 Swords of Body and Mind
1 Baneslayer Angel
1 Victory's Herald
3 Honor of the Pures
4 Mirran Crusaders
2 Day of Judgements
3 Timely Reinforcements
3 Oblivion Rings
3 Elite Vanguards
3 Revoke Existence

Sideboard
1 Elspeth Tirel
1 Elesh Norn
1 Day of Judgement
4 Kor Firewalkers
3 Condemns
4 Gideon's Lawkeepers
1 Elite Vanguard

LOL

I wanted to play Cawblade, and when I went home found that my old roomate had taken it to college with him to play in a FNM. Wut... So in a panic I slammed as many mythics and rares as I had on hand knowing mono white would be my only viable option here (lol no puresteels because I traded them for Celestial Colonnades zzz)

Round 1: I beat a Tempered Steel infect deck.
G1: He never lands a Tempered Steel, loses when Gideon lands.
Side out 1 Herald, side in another DoJ
G2: Lands 2 Tempered steels, wins on T5 (He played first so I couldn't land my Elspeth for blockers QQ)
G3: Revoke Existence T3

Was seriously a horrible deck.

Round 2: I lost to a Blue/Black control deck
G1: Mana leaks everything I ever loved.
Side out 2 Vanguards, Herald and DoJs, side in Elesh, Elspeth, and Condemns
G2: 3 Sun Titans are on the field
G3: T1 Inkmoth Nexus, T2 Inkmoth Nexus, Tezzy soon after. sup 5/5 flying infect duder.

Round 3: I beat mono red aggro
G1: Timely Reinforcements main deck saves me when I'm at 3 life bringing me to 9. Already have an honor of the pure on board, Land an Elspeth, gg.
Side out 1 Titan, 1 Herald, 3 Revokes, 1 S of B&M, 1 ORing, side in 4 Firewalkers, 3 Condemns.
G2: T2 Firewalker from me, T3 Shrine from him. He wins.
G3: T2 Firewalker, T3 Firewalker, T4 Timely.

Round 4: I beat Big Green
Game 1: Timely T3 (he had swung with an elf and I only had an honor on the field). T5 Gideon, I win.
Side out 2 SW&P, 3 Vanguards, 1 Herald, side in 3 Condemns, 3 Gideon's Lawkeeper
Game 2: Long stalemate, but I'm up 17 life to 5. I have 2 Sun Titans and an Elspeth on the field, so victory is inevitable. Suddenly, Overwhelming Stampede and he has a 8/8 on the field.
Game 3: Another stalemate, but he fucks up math. Uses Overwhelming stampede, begin combat, beast within on my lawkeeper, I tap his 8/8 in response and he goes... oh shit. Swings with everything anyways, I live with 3 life. Swing out on my turn to kill him.

Round 5: I beat another mono red (This was a weird big red deck with a little early aggro)
Game 1: Timely Reinforcements w/ honor of the pure on the field.
Side out 1 Herald, 2 Revokes, 1 SB&M, side in 4 Kor Firewalkers
Game 2: Kor Firewalker and Sun Titans win it easy.

Round 6: My opponent asks me if I'd like to draw so we both automatically make it into Top 8. Yes, yes I would like to draw with this pile of trash. If we hadn't chosen to draw one of us would be 4-2 with a lot of other 4-2s and it was only 6 rounds to determine top 8. I didn't even know you could draw lol, feels like a huge FUCK YOU to everyone who went 4-2, whatevs.

Top 8
Round 1: I lose to mono red super aggro
G1: Timely reinforcements combined with 1 SF&F, 1SW&P, 1 SB&M lol
Side out 1 Herald, 3 Revokes, 1 SB&M, 3 ORings, side in 4 Kor Firewalkers, 3 Condemns, 1 DoJ
G2: No Firewalkers, no Timely Reinforcements, no condemns. Mulligan. Still no firewalkers, timelys or condemns. Awesome
G3: T1 1 Goblin Guide, T2 2 Goblin Guides. Cool.

Chose to hold of my prize for innistrad release, so I'll be getting a fat pack on Friday. I fucked up not mulliganing G3 to at least try to have one of my anti-red cards in hand, but I was extremely pissed about G2 and didn't have my head in the game. Anywho, I guess I should be happy this pile of trash made it so far. Was my first non-limited tournament, everyone was pretty shocked I did so well. I'm not entirely suprised, though. I'll probably always feel like drafting/sealed play prepare you for just about anything, and take more skill than constructed play with the exception of maybe legacy.

Apologies for grammar and shiz

Edit: Seriously, why the fuck was victory's herald in there
Pufftrees Everyday>its like a rifter that just used X-Factor/Liquid'Nony: I hope no one lip read XD/Holyflare>it's like policy lynching but better/Resident Los Angeles bachelor
Orpheos
Profile Joined April 2010
United States1663 Posts
September 27 2011 19:47 GMT
#1312
the latest LSV M12 draft is solid gold.
Risen
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States7927 Posts
September 27 2011 20:21 GMT
#1313
On September 28 2011 04:47 Orpheos wrote:
the latest LSV M12 draft is solid gold.


Watching it now lol
Pufftrees Everyday>its like a rifter that just used X-Factor/Liquid'Nony: I hope no one lip read XD/Holyflare>it's like policy lynching but better/Resident Los Angeles bachelor
Orpheos
Profile Joined April 2010
United States1663 Posts
September 27 2011 20:24 GMT
#1314
On September 28 2011 05:21 Risen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 28 2011 04:47 Orpheos wrote:
the latest LSV M12 draft is solid gold.


Watching it now lol


make sure to stay for all the games. every one is awesome.
numLoCK
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Canada1416 Posts
September 27 2011 20:49 GMT
#1315
Wow, it is kinda messed up how blue gets its beats on in Innistrad limited o.o
Ended up doing pretty well with a UW list, only to get killed in the last round by another UW list with better dudes (I was laughing at Geist of Saint Traft all day until I saw one opposite me with a hand full of removal T.T)
Looking forward to doing more limited with this set and hoping to play a cool UB DrawGo list once new standard rolls around.
slyboogie
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States3423 Posts
September 27 2011 21:12 GMT
#1316
LSV gave Lantern Spirit a 1 in constructed :/

Really? I hate it when pros are down on cards I like. It makes me feel dumb.
"We dug coal together." Boyd Crowder, Justified
Cel.erity
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States4890 Posts
September 27 2011 21:27 GMT
#1317
On September 28 2011 06:12 slyboogie wrote:
LSV gave Lantern Spirit a 1 in constructed :/

Really? I hate it when pros are down on cards I like. It makes me feel dumb.


I don't get it, why would you like this card? It's the type of card that's been printed a thousand times and never seen play.
We found Dove in a soapless place.
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
September 27 2011 21:33 GMT
#1318
Because right now, some decks have a difficult time dealing with flyers. This one dodges removal if you let it live. Personally I think it's overvalued because of that reason and players have no idea how to play around a 3 mana 2/1 flier that returns itself in limited. Honestly I would rather it died so I can play the 3/4 next turn or any of the other blue aggro cards.
Get it by your hands...
Cel.erity
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States4890 Posts
September 27 2011 21:37 GMT
#1319
On September 28 2011 06:33 Judicator wrote:
Because right now, some decks have a difficult time dealing with flyers. This one dodges removal if you let it live. Personally I think it's overvalued because of that reason and players have no idea how to play around a 3 mana 2/1 flier that returns itself in limited. Honestly I would rather it died so I can play the 3/4 next turn or any of the other blue aggro cards.


In constructed???
We found Dove in a soapless place.
slyboogie
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States3423 Posts
September 27 2011 21:41 GMT
#1320
It's good in a control mirror and it can be fine once you've taken control of the board. No one's going to throw a GftT at it, so I'm not calling it "card advantage," but it can be effective. A 1 is like...totally unplayable, I don't think this card is totally unplayable in Standard.
"We dug coal together." Boyd Crowder, Justified
Prev 1 64 65 66 67 68 665 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
16:00
#65
RotterdaM647
TaKeTV 179
IndyStarCraft 117
BRAT_OK 107
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 647
TKL 225
ProTech138
IndyStarCraft 117
BRAT_OK 107
UpATreeSC 71
Rex 45
Codebar 44
MindelVK 11
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 1016
EffOrt 613
Mini 539
ggaemo 206
firebathero 183
Dewaltoss 114
Rush 76
Barracks 69
910 65
Zeus 52
[ Show more ]
Shine 48
Hyun 46
Killer 37
Shinee 35
Bale 28
soO 23
ToSsGirL 22
Sexy 18
Trap 16
yabsab 12
Sacsri 8
Dota 2
qojqva4333
Dendi1688
Counter-Strike
Fnx 776
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1003
Liquid`Hasu423
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi2289
singsing1939
B2W.Neo505
Beastyqt381
ceh9343
Sick185
ArmadaUGS126
C9.Mang062
Trikslyr47
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream529
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• mYiSmile124
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix10
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2917
• TFBlade826
Other Games
• WagamamaTV277
• Shiphtur9
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
17h 8m
Afreeca Starleague
17h 8m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 7h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 18h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.