• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:52
CEST 18:52
KST 01:52
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7120 users

Magic: The Gathering - Page 67

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 65 66 67 68 69 665 Next
Cel.erity
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States4890 Posts
September 27 2011 21:44 GMT
#1321
On September 28 2011 06:41 slyboogie wrote:
It's good in a control mirror and it can be fine once you've taken control of the board. No one's going to throw a GftT at it, so I'm not calling it "card advantage," but it can be effective. A 1 is like...totally unplayable, I don't think this card is totally unplayable in Standard.


I think you're mad, sorry. There has never been a period in Magic where a 3cc 2-power flier with no relevant ability has been near the power curve. Even Skywinder Drake is better than this card.
We found Dove in a soapless place.
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
September 27 2011 21:49 GMT
#1322
On September 28 2011 06:37 Cel.erity wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 28 2011 06:33 Judicator wrote:
Because right now, some decks have a difficult time dealing with flyers. This one dodges removal if you let it live. Personally I think it's overvalued because of that reason and players have no idea how to play around a 3 mana 2/1 flier that returns itself in limited. Honestly I would rather it died so I can play the 3/4 next turn or any of the other blue aggro cards.


In constructed???


Misread, no thought he meant limited. That card isn't even on the radar for constructed. Skywing Aven did see some play in constructed though, but that was with the old damage rules.
Get it by your hands...
slyboogie
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States3423 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-27 21:55:11
September 27 2011 21:52 GMT
#1323
On September 28 2011 06:44 Cel.erity wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 28 2011 06:41 slyboogie wrote:
It's good in a control mirror and it can be fine once you've taken control of the board. No one's going to throw a GftT at it, so I'm not calling it "card advantage," but it can be effective. A 1 is like...totally unplayable, I don't think this card is totally unplayable in Standard.


I think you're mad, sorry. There has never been a period in Magic where a 3cc 2-power flier with no relevant ability has been near the power curve. Even Skywinder Drake is better than this card.


Mad like insane? Or mad like angry, because I'm not angry at all, I could totally be wrong.

But I definitely don't think that Skywinder Drake is better than Lantern Spirit. I suppose, Spirit can block non-flying creatures, block and not die, evade DoJ and BSZ (I don't think anyone will throw a Doom Blade at it.) Whatever, it may never see play, but I'll play test it some.

EDIT: Just to be clear..it's not a 2.5, 3 or 4 or 5. It's more like...it's better than Assault Griffin or the like.
"We dug coal together." Boyd Crowder, Justified
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
September 27 2011 21:57 GMT
#1324
On September 28 2011 06:52 slyboogie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 28 2011 06:44 Cel.erity wrote:
On September 28 2011 06:41 slyboogie wrote:
It's good in a control mirror and it can be fine once you've taken control of the board. No one's going to throw a GftT at it, so I'm not calling it "card advantage," but it can be effective. A 1 is like...totally unplayable, I don't think this card is totally unplayable in Standard.


I think you're mad, sorry. There has never been a period in Magic where a 3cc 2-power flier with no relevant ability has been near the power curve. Even Skywinder Drake is better than this card.


Mad like insane? Or mad like angry, because I'm not angry at all, I could totally be wrong.

But I definitely don't think that Skywinder Drake is better than Lantern Spirit. I suppose, Spirit can block non-flying creatures, block and not die, evade DoJ and BSZ (I don't think anyone will throw a Doom Blade at it.) Whatever, it may never see play, but I'll play test it some.

EDIT: Just to be clear..it's not a 2.5, 3 or 4 or 5. It's more like...it's better than Assault Griffin or the like.



??? Just think about the all common plays at 3 or 4 and you'll see why it's ass. There's no point to test.
Get it by your hands...
Cel.erity
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States4890 Posts
September 27 2011 22:00 GMT
#1325
On September 28 2011 06:52 slyboogie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 28 2011 06:44 Cel.erity wrote:
On September 28 2011 06:41 slyboogie wrote:
It's good in a control mirror and it can be fine once you've taken control of the board. No one's going to throw a GftT at it, so I'm not calling it "card advantage," but it can be effective. A 1 is like...totally unplayable, I don't think this card is totally unplayable in Standard.


I think you're mad, sorry. There has never been a period in Magic where a 3cc 2-power flier with no relevant ability has been near the power curve. Even Skywinder Drake is better than this card.


Mad like insane? Or mad like angry, because I'm not angry at all, I could totally be wrong.

But I definitely don't think that Skywinder Drake is better than Lantern Spirit. I suppose, Spirit can block non-flying creatures, block and not die, evade DoJ and BSZ (I don't think anyone will throw a Doom Blade at it.) Whatever, it may never see play, but I'll play test it some.


Mad like crazy.

Being able to dodge removal is only a good ability if the creature is relevant, which a 2/1 flyer is not. Stormfront Pegasus is a much better card because it's cheaper, and it doesn't see any play. Skywinder Drake has actually seen play in constructed, albeit a weaker format, it is a better card because 3 power is a lot more relevant than 3. Mirror-Mad Phantasm is only 2 mana more for 3 extra power and actually does a better job at dodging removal. So, there's 3 superior cards already, and probably none of them are constructed playable (besides Phantasm in some gimmick decks).

Besides, if you're playing blue, your goals in this format are to either control the board (which Lantern fails at) or get through with Swords, in which case Invisible Stalker and Geist are both superior, not to mention stuff like Mirran Crusader/Blade Splicer.
We found Dove in a soapless place.
slyboogie
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States3423 Posts
September 27 2011 22:02 GMT
#1326
Of course, I feel like I'm arguing for something that I don't really feel super strongly about. Cards I'd rather play on turn 3? Geist of St. Traft, Blade Splicer, Snapcaster Mage, Mentor of the Meek, Liliana of the Veil...etc etc. I know. It's not a good, but I think there's a place for it.
"We dug coal together." Boyd Crowder, Justified
Cel.erity
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States4890 Posts
September 27 2011 22:03 GMT
#1327
On September 28 2011 07:02 slyboogie wrote:
Of course, I feel like I'm arguing for something that I don't really feel super strongly about. Cards I'd rather play on turn 3? Geist of St. Traft, Blade Splicer, Snapcaster Mage, Mentor of the Meek, Liliana of the Veil...etc etc. I know. It's not a good, but I think there's a place for it.


Sure, there's a place for it. The artwork is nice.
We found Dove in a soapless place.
slyboogie
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States3423 Posts
September 27 2011 22:06 GMT
#1328
On September 28 2011 07:03 Cel.erity wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 28 2011 07:02 slyboogie wrote:
Of course, I feel like I'm arguing for something that I don't really feel super strongly about. Cards I'd rather play on turn 3? Geist of St. Traft, Blade Splicer, Snapcaster Mage, Mentor of the Meek, Liliana of the Veil...etc etc. I know. It's not a good, but I think there's a place for it.


Sure, there's a place for it. The artwork is nice.


It is.

I'm mad at you guys now.
"We dug coal together." Boyd Crowder, Justified
Kralic
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Canada2628 Posts
September 27 2011 22:08 GMT
#1329
Looking forward to the other colour reviews. Blue seems to have done very well for limited this expansion.
Brood War forever!
DEN1ED
Profile Joined December 2009
United States1087 Posts
September 27 2011 22:24 GMT
#1330
On September 28 2011 06:33 Judicator wrote:
Personally I think it's overvalued because of that reason and players have no idea how to play around a 3 mana 2/1 flier that returns itself in limited. .


Block it with a 1/1 spirit? It's just doesn't do enough. 3 is a lot of mana for a 2/1 and then if you are keeping up 1 mana for it you are just going to get destroyed by much more efficient creatures. Sure it could maybe be a late game card in control but there are MANY other cards I would rather play as a finisher.
520
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States2822 Posts
September 27 2011 22:33 GMT
#1331
I have infinite amounts of hatred for the guy in my Sealed prerelease that pulled 3 Invisible Stalkers and 2 Curse of Stalked Prey. :|
Writer
slyboogie
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States3423 Posts
September 27 2011 22:35 GMT
#1332
Judicator is talking about Limited. I'm the only guy who wants to try it in Constructed.
"We dug coal together." Boyd Crowder, Justified
Shotcoder
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2316 Posts
September 27 2011 22:52 GMT
#1333
What are your guys thoughts on Mono White Humans? Champion of the Parish, Elite Vanguard, Grand Abolisher, Elite Inquisitor, Fiend Hunter, Mentor of the meek, Mikaeus, Mirran Crusader, Hero of Bladehold...with access to the best sorcery speed removal with Oring and Day of judgement, seems like it might be viable. and even splashing blue for Azure mage and Snapcaster is viable since they're both humans as well.

Just brain storming some possible idea for my new standard deck, because it's between this and Red Black Vampires.
Shotcoder - C+ BW Terran, Gold LoL(ADC Main)
Risen
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States7927 Posts
September 27 2011 22:56 GMT
#1334
On September 28 2011 07:52 Shotcoder wrote:
What are your guys thoughts on Mono White Humans? Champion of the Parish, Elite Vanguard, Grand Abolisher, Elite Inquisitor, Fiend Hunter, Mentor of the meek, Mikaeus, Mirran Crusader, Hero of Bladehold...with access to the best sorcery speed removal with Oring and Day of judgement, seems like it might be viable. and even splashing blue for Azure mage and Snapcaster is viable since they're both humans as well.

Just brain storming some possible idea for my new standard deck, because it's between this and Red Black Vampires.


I'm going to be trying out mono white mentor/puresteel I think. Maybe.
Pufftrees Everyday>its like a rifter that just used X-Factor/Liquid'Nony: I hope no one lip read XD/Holyflare>it's like policy lynching but better/Resident Los Angeles bachelor
Cel.erity
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States4890 Posts
September 27 2011 22:57 GMT
#1335
On September 28 2011 07:52 Shotcoder wrote:
What are your guys thoughts on Mono White Humans? Champion of the Parish, Elite Vanguard, Grand Abolisher, Elite Inquisitor, Fiend Hunter, Mentor of the meek, Mikaeus, Mirran Crusader, Hero of Bladehold...with access to the best sorcery speed removal with Oring and Day of judgement, seems like it might be viable. and even splashing blue for Azure mage and Snapcaster is viable since they're both humans as well.

Just brain storming some possible idea for my new standard deck, because it's between this and Red Black Vampires.


I think Puresteel is a lot more consistent as far as white-based beatdown goes; the human strategy seems like just a bunch of okay dudes. You can play most of those creatures in Puresteel minues the mediocre ones, and all of the same removal.
We found Dove in a soapless place.
Cytokinesis
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada330 Posts
September 27 2011 22:59 GMT
#1336
B/R vamps aren't going to be that strong because they lost a lot of their staples from Zendikar, so it will be a lot slower. I'm actually really looking forward to trying monoblack control in new standard.
Ive seen people who dont believe in sleep count sheep with calculators that double as alarm clocks
slyboogie
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States3423 Posts
September 27 2011 23:02 GMT
#1337
I agree with Celerity there. Mentor is the gold standard in the "human" deck. I am not particularly impressed with Champion of the Parish. Just throw Mentor and maybe 2 Fiend Hunters into a standard Puresteel deck. I think that's a better route than building Humans.
"We dug coal together." Boyd Crowder, Justified
Shotcoder
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2316 Posts
September 27 2011 23:04 GMT
#1338
I have the puresteels, the stupid thing is the swords, I only have 2 BaM and 1 WaP so forking out the money is an issue =/.
Shotcoder - C+ BW Terran, Gold LoL(ADC Main)
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-28 00:20:33
September 28 2011 00:00 GMT
#1339
Happy Birthday Cel

Also, Grand Abolisher and Elite Inquisitor seem like good sideboard cards for a puresteel deck, but I'm thinking that Puresteel is going to be replacing Caw-blade in the U/W control shell. 4 Puresteels, 4 Mentors, and 4 Invisible Stalkers are probably the only non-living weapon creatures that'll be played in the maindeck, all the rest will be equipment, card draw, and countermagic.

I see that, Tempered Steel, Birthing Pod, and U/B control being the dominant archetypes, with mono-white humans, reanimator, and werewolves being tier 2 with everything else being flat out worse.

It's somewhat of a shame that Innistrad dealt a deathblow to mono-red and any sort of combo based strategy.

EDIT: Oh, one thing I thought about, Living Weapon combines well with Morbid and "dies" creatures (like Unruly Mob and the like, although I'm not suggesting Mob is playable), because technically the token dies when you equip it. Free triggers with puresteel ftw.
slyboogie
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States3423 Posts
September 28 2011 00:05 GMT
#1340
On September 28 2011 08:04 Shotcoder wrote:
I have the puresteels, the stupid thing is the swords, I only have 2 BaM and 1 WaP so forking out the money is an issue =/.


1 BaM, 1 WaP and 2 FaF should be enough. Feast and Famine is the best one for sure and the most expensive. Could you trade for it? I always take MBS packs when I win any prizes just because I like its mythic rares the most. Confirmation bias, amirite?

On the other hand, you could try to run 4 War and Peaces and 3 Mirran Crusaders.
"We dug coal together." Boyd Crowder, Justified
Prev 1 65 66 67 68 69 665 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
16:00
#65
RotterdaM647
TaKeTV 179
IndyStarCraft 117
BRAT_OK 107
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 647
TKL 225
ProTech138
IndyStarCraft 117
BRAT_OK 107
UpATreeSC 71
Rex 45
Codebar 44
MindelVK 11
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 1016
EffOrt 613
Mini 539
ggaemo 206
firebathero 183
Dewaltoss 114
Rush 76
Barracks 69
910 65
Zeus 52
[ Show more ]
Shine 48
Hyun 46
Killer 37
Shinee 35
Bale 28
soO 23
ToSsGirL 22
Sexy 18
Trap 16
yabsab 12
Sacsri 8
Dota 2
qojqva4333
Dendi1688
Counter-Strike
Fnx 776
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1003
Liquid`Hasu423
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi2289
singsing1939
B2W.Neo505
Beastyqt381
ceh9343
Sick185
ArmadaUGS126
C9.Mang062
Trikslyr47
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream529
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• mYiSmile124
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix10
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2917
• TFBlade826
Other Games
• WagamamaTV277
• Shiphtur9
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
17h 8m
Afreeca Starleague
17h 8m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 7h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 18h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.