• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:16
CEST 20:16
KST 03:16
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)59Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
[Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games BW General Discussion JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9656 users

A Bold and Speculative WCG Prediction - Page 2

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 11 12 13 Next All
darktreb
Profile Joined May 2007
United States3019 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-05-19 04:44:05
May 19 2008 04:43 GMT
#21
The only thing that really "went wrong" with last year's monster Korea lineup was the epic Savior debacle in which he lost to PJ. This was an incredible failure on the Maestro's part, but it has been OVEREMPHASIZED significantly due to the fact that it's Savior, who in his prime put together arguably the greatest year of dominance ever (at least, it's the only true year and a half of dominance post Oov's macro-revolution).

Yeah, some Koreans dropped games here and there to foreigners - this has happened almost every year, no?

Yeah, Hwasin didn't make it very far ... oh wait, he lost to Stork, who did still win.

Yeah, Stork lost to White-Ra. But, with all due respect to White-Ra, does anyone think he's really anywhere near as good as Stork? Watch the most recent games on TSL, and then watch some of Stork's textbook (ie NOT during a final) Protoss play games where you see near-perfect mechanics and execution. White-Ra is a great player but Stork, as much as we all love to hate on his inability to come through in the finals, is now one of the greatest Protoss players in SC history (easily top 10, arguably top 5).

I think you might be right with your 3 predictions. I'm just pointing out that I don't think last year's WCG was as big of a deal as we often like to make of it, mostly thanks to Savior.

Also, I would actually venture to argue that the top 2 players in Korea right now are actually more clear cut than they were last year, which means they have a better chance to advance. Them being Flash and Jaedong of course. Both of these guys are battle-tested, have ridiculous mechanics that no foreigner is even close to, and are vicious killers who in my opinion do a better job of jumping on opponents' mistakes than Savior and Stork did (at least in the state they were in at last year's WCG).

If the WCG was today and Flash and Jaedong were in it, I would bet neither would lose a game to any foreigner and would unfairly make foreign players look far inferior to the Koreans (when in reality this is no longer true anymore). Luck and timing both play a big role in perspective.
CDRdude
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
United States5625 Posts
May 19 2008 04:44 GMT
#22
Your points make sense, and I could see them happening (depending on who they send, of course). However, I hope 3 isn't true
Force staff is the best item in the game.
Physician *
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
United States4146 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-05-19 04:52:48
May 19 2008 04:46 GMT
#23
Man I was going to say it was an optimistic opinion column until I read the last sentence.

This will be the last WCG with SCBW on the ticket.

Incontrol you bastage, you ruined my Sunday. Many of us have feared the removal of Brood War in WCG so the surprise reminder just gave me the heebeegeebees. May all your predictions bite the dust if only to kill that last one.
"I have beheld the births of negative-suns and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities...."
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
May 19 2008 04:46 GMT
#24
On May 19 2008 13:33 Last Romantic wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 19 2008 13:26 infinity21 wrote:
I hope flash comes to WCG so we get to see some of his reps. I want to know the secret behind his monstrosity.


What if Flash = X

That's so easy. Nada will qualify for WCG as well and all we have to do is ask the author of that sc comic for an alternate ending.
Official Entusman #21
H
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
New Zealand6138 Posts
May 19 2008 04:55 GMT
#25
On May 19 2008 13:33 Last Romantic wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 19 2008 13:26 infinity21 wrote:
I hope flash comes to WCG so we get to see some of his reps. I want to know the secret behind his monstrosity.


What if Flash = X


Then clearly Brat_OK must defeat him in place of NaDa
[iHs]HCO | のヮの | pachi & plexa ownz | RIP _
SayaSP
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
Laos5494 Posts
May 19 2008 04:56 GMT
#26
Brat will be at WCG YEAH
[iHs]SSP | I-NO-KI BOM-BA-YE | のヮの http://tinyurl.com/MLIStheCV , MLIS.
radar14
Profile Blog Joined December 2002
United States1437 Posts
May 19 2008 05:04 GMT
#27
as much as we'd all like to see an upset, I think your only real valid arguing point is the latency, which we'll take your word for since you have experience in that regard.

Korea is stagnating? Your evidence is that Savior lost a few games last year. Well, Josez beat Boxer. Froz beat Boxer twice. Blackman beat Odyssay. Hellghost beat H.O.T. Silent Control got embarrassed by Testie and Androide. These upsets happen all the time and pretty much every year. So far, nothing has come of it in terms of the big winner. I don't see why this year is any different.

Level of non-koreans at its peak? Of course it is. Why wouldn't it get better every year? Yes, there are some new names. That's just the nature of gaming. Are Drieven, Nony, etc. really any more skilled than Fisheye, Nazgul, Elky, etc. with respect to the Korean best during their heydays?

impatience is a virtue
Highways
Profile Joined July 2005
Australia6122 Posts
May 19 2008 05:08 GMT
#28
Why does broodwar need to leave wcg, thats total bullshit.

Even when starcraft 2 comes out, bw will still have a bigger base than half the games there
#1 Terran hater
Plexa
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Aotearoa39261 Posts
May 19 2008 05:11 GMT
#29
#3 is utterly depressing
i hate you incontrol
Administrator~ Spirit will set you free ~
Hyperionnn
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Turkey4968 Posts
May 19 2008 05:24 GMT
#30
I think that 1-2-3 place is only hapenned in 2006? Am i right? And even that domination, oov lost to draco in ro8 first game, midas lost twice in group stages. The accidents could happen but i think that, a random set of 3 progamer would still have %98 chance to win WCG.
[X]Ken_D
Profile Blog Joined May 2005
United States4653 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-05-19 05:34:34
May 19 2008 05:31 GMT
#31
I forgot about the LAN Latency. When I notice that the TSL replays look like semi-pro games I thought it was just the quality of the players. LAN setting makes a HUGEEE difference.

MasterOfChaos deserves to be include in Starcraft wikipedia for his Latency Changer. It's revolutionary because it finally allows people to play at their fullest potential with people around the world instead of limiting to LAN.
[X]Domain - I just do the website. Nothing more.
bahhh
Profile Joined May 2007
United States888 Posts
May 19 2008 05:43 GMT
#32
hrm.......................................................naaaaaa

lol, 99% of koreans knows what starcraft is. they have 2 T.V. channels broadcasting sc 24/7. what do foreigners have? false hopes and dreams thats wat. dream on though, it doesn't hurt.
OneOther
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States10774 Posts
May 19 2008 05:44 GMT
#33
On May 19 2008 14:04 radar14 wrote:
as much as we'd all like to see an upset, I think your only real valid arguing point is the latency, which we'll take your word for since you have experience in that regard.

Korea is stagnating? Your evidence is that Savior lost a few games last year. Well, Josez beat Boxer. Froz beat Boxer twice. Blackman beat Odyssay. Hellghost beat H.O.T. Silent Control got embarrassed by Testie and Androide. These upsets happen all the time and pretty much every year. So far, nothing has come of it in terms of the big winner. I don't see why this year is any different.

Level of non-koreans at its peak? Of course it is. Why wouldn't it get better every year? Yes, there are some new names. That's just the nature of gaming. Are Drieven, Nony, etc. really any more skilled than Fisheye, Nazgul, Elky, etc. with respect to the Korean best during their heydays?



my thoughts. good post radar14. seeing a foreigner win WCG for the first time would be cool, but is the latency really enough?
MoNKeYSpanKeR
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
United States2869 Posts
May 19 2008 05:46 GMT
#34
On May 19 2008 13:18 Kwark wrote:
You make a good argument and I agree with most the points. However, while everything is in our favour, you simply cannot argue with skill. They have more of it. I believe this'll be the closest WCG I've seen but I do not believe we will win.

I have to agree here, i think the koreans are peaking skill wise, or damn close to playing perfect starcraft, we are not really as close to that, and i don't think we will get close to that for a damn long time at this rate, foreign starcraft hasn't adapted aswel as the kroeans, not by a long shot.

China is close, if they step it up and become more dominant and profession then maybe just maybe a chinese person will win, but i don't know about a european or american. Maybe if china somehow didn't have shit lag issues becuae of their great ass firewall. But either way, maybe if they send an all protoss line up and we just have mondragon kill them all.
<3's Mani and Seraphim, thx for the second chance. TSL Name: TSL-mSLeGenD
Seraphim
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States4467 Posts
May 19 2008 06:12 GMT
#35
On May 19 2008 12:21 Showtime! wrote:
I agree with 1 and 3; however, not 2.

Nice article incontrol.


How could 3 be true and not 2?
Hermes | Bisu[Shield] Fighting~!
HeavOnEarth
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
United States7087 Posts
May 19 2008 06:20 GMT
#36
Bold and Speculative is right, Just wait, the koreans have developed a perfect gamer training him with

1.ee han timing since he was a litle kid, cooking something for 3 minutes in the microwave and not letting him eat it unless he got up 1-5 seconds before the timer went off, otherwise he'd have to repeat it and it would be burned.

2. By cutting off his ... stuff, because your length is obviously inversely proportional to your ability to own at star craft.

3. finger steroids!!
"come korea next time... FXO house... 10 korean, 10 korean"
NarutO
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
Germany18839 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-05-19 06:59:03
May 19 2008 06:53 GMT
#37
First of all this is a really nice read Geoff. Unfortunately I don't agree with everything you wrote. But this doesn't mean that you are wrong obviously. I'm not an oracle.

You wrote that the given maps favor foreigners over koreans which I think is simply not true. We obviously play maps progamers play. We play lots of games on Python, Blue Storm, Tau Cross, Peaks and Gaia where Gaia probably is the only map that progamers are not common with. (given the fact a progamer advances to WCG who hasn't in the past 3 years)
Probably the fact that makes you think the maps favor us is the fact that koreans have to train on newer maps and totally ignoring the old(er) WCG maps, but I can guarantee that the koreans have played Python, Blue Storm, Tau Cross and Peaks to no end. They know every single build order you can pull off and they probably know everything about these maps.

On the other hand I agree with you, the foreign level is higher than it ever was. I won't say I believe any foreigner can take a macro game from a korean progamer, but its unlikely that a top foreigner (i.e. Nony) cannot take a game with a little bit of an advantage he gains in early game.

As you mention the key nations with their strong players like ret and HayprO just for example I think this will give "us" (most likely good players, because I don't think ret or HayprO are going to train with average players) a good possibility to prepare for the World Cyber Games 2008. Unfortunately I think its just not enough of preparation to beat the koreans in a Best of 3 or Best of 5. (The final is best of 5 this time?)

Players who could accomplish something I'd say are most likely: Nony, IdrA, Mondragon, White-rA, Draco. So for me we have 3 Protoss, 1 Zerg and 1 Terran which are a threat to the koreans. Unfortunately the korean level is rising too. Not just foreigners are getting better. The real advantage that we get is the mentioned training of the new maps from korean progamers. They have to train the new maps non stop to reach their goal. To win a starleague. There is no more important tournament in Korea and I bet winning a starleague is still more important to them than winning an international tourney like the World Cyber Games. I'm not saying they just go with the attitude to "lets see how far I come" but they are for sure not practicing like for a starleague. For example in starleagues they have a lot of time to prepare for one special opponent on 5 special maps. Here they have no time to prepare or really not much time to prepare for their opponent they probably don't even know. This could give "us" an edge.

Last but not least you mentioned that the Lan Latency gives us an advantage. Not an advantage over koreans, but an advantage in general because we are getting used to no-latency games which is good for offline tourneys, obviously. I agree with you. Lan Latency is a great tool and we can archive a alot mechanics with it. Most of the time (you will agree) when you played usual battle.net games and switched to hamachi (not too common for about.. 2 years or so) your macro and micro were totally off, because you just were not used to the more liquid gameplay. Now we are used to that. Even though a real LAN game is even more liquid than a Lan Latency game.

Now I'd like to predict myself based on your predictions:

1) It really depends on who Korea sends. I don't say if Flash, Stork and for example Jaedong are coming they are unbeatable. I actually did think sAviOr , HwaSin and Stork were pretty much unbeatable to that time, but they failed. This is probably not just because they were too cocky more like because the foreign level has improved by far. HwaSin didn't fail vs a foreigner though.

I'd say if Flash, Mind and probably Jaedong coming its unlikely that 2 foreigners will be in the top 3, but its still far away from impossible.

2) WCG will be won by a foreigner. No, I cleary disagree. I don't think there's a way for a foreigner to win in the finals. Not because of the lack of skill, but more like the nerves. Koreans are used to play in finals (at least a lot of them) and they are used to play in big offline events with a huge audience. Probably with NonY vs Stork in the finals Stork will choke and gets the silver like at home.. in Korea. But I really can't imagine a foreigner taking gold, which again does not mean it won't happen!

3) I'm really surprised you actually predict that this will be the last time we see Broodwar in the World Cyber Games. World Cyber games proofed to be really solid and they will test Starcraft 2 before they add it to the WCG. Probably we will see Broodwar and Starcraft 2, but we won't see Starcraft 2 right after it is released. Thats my guess. There will be a next time we see Broodwar at the World Cyber Games.


I hope my post isn't offending anyone. If I didn't mention a top player its just that he didn't was in my mind when I wrote this, so I apologize beforehand. I'd be happy to read other opinions on what I wrote.

Edit: An admin move that please to featured threads or make it sticky, its really an awesome thing to discuss !
CommentatorPolt | MMA | Jjakji | BoxeR | NaDa | MVP | MKP ... truly inspiring.
CDRdude
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
United States5625 Posts
May 19 2008 07:02 GMT
#38
On May 19 2008 13:46 Physician wrote:
Incontrol you bastage

What a bastage.
Force staff is the best item in the game.
fusionsdf
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
Canada15390 Posts
May 19 2008 07:04 GMT
#39
stork was doing amazingly stupid build vs white ra and whoever else.

he was definitely throwing games to try and set up the brackets for a 1,2,3 korean victory.

As for savior, well PJ is (certainly was at the time) one of the best foreign players, and savior was well into his slump.

Korea could send stork or jaedong or bisu or lux or mind

they dont have to send flash to win.
SKT_Best: "I actually chose Protoss because it was so hard for me to defeat Protoss as a Terran. When I first started Brood War, my main race was Terran."
Proposal
Profile Joined December 2007
United States1310 Posts
May 19 2008 07:07 GMT
#40
Probably we will see Broodwar and Starcraft 2, but we won't see Starcraft 2 right after it is released.


A LOT of new games are added right after they are released.. of course this will happen with Starcraft II.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 11 12 13 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 44m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 776
IndyStarCraft 227
ProTech128
UpATreeSC 66
BRAT_OK 60
MindelVK 25
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 29397
Shuttle 804
Hyuk 147
Dewaltoss 102
firebathero 85
Trap 59
White-Ra 53
ToSsGirL 32
Bale 20
Sacsri 19
[ Show more ]
Rock 17
Shine 14
Dota 2
Gorgc8551
qojqva1819
Counter-Strike
fl0m1623
Fnx 855
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King72
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1351
Khaldor1315
Liquid`Hasu302
Other Games
summit1g2847
FrodaN1760
Beastyqt525
XBOCT282
Mlord272
DeMusliM189
ArmadaUGS169
KnowMe148
C9.Mang0147
XaKoH 115
QueenE88
CosmosSc2 17
Organizations
StarCraft 2
IntoTheiNu 843
ComeBackTV 694
Other Games
BasetradeTV261
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream53
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH317
• StrangeGG 59
• Hinosc 18
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 15
• Michael_bg 9
• FirePhoenix8
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie771
• Shiphtur322
Upcoming Events
OSC
3h 44m
CranKy Ducklings
15h 44m
Online Event
16h 44m
FEL
21h 44m
AI Arena Tournament
22h 44m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 15h
INu's Battles
1d 17h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.