• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:40
CEST 11:40
KST 18:40
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)76Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7850 users

Complacency and Easy mode - Page 3

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Sandermatt
Profile Joined December 2010
Switzerland1365 Posts
December 10 2011 15:14 GMT
#41
On December 11 2011 00:11 forsooth wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 10 2011 23:55 Jyxz wrote:
On December 10 2011 23:47 Muki wrote:
I don't agree that SC2 to BW is what -em is to standard in dota.
SC2 is different and updated to 2010 expectations and a spiritual successor to BW, while -em in dota is just a gamemode that retains every item, hero etc. but they make early gamers less useful.

The skill ceiling in SC2 is still very high even though some old mechanics from BW aren't ported. It's not like a noob could hit master league while in -em it's a LOT easier for bad players to get good stats. 2012 looks so promising for SC2 skillwise, why would you want to hold people back with ancient mechanics that take up apm and aren't that interesting to watch.


I have to disagree with you here, even though a lot of what you say is true, it is possible for a noob to hit masters. The amount it takes to bring someone to diamond level in SC2 is absurdly easy. With terran just teaching someone a proper 2 rax push used to be enough to get to masters it is still enough to get to diamond, protoss 4 warpgate was enough to get high diamond before masters was even out.

As to the second part of your post, I am saying I don't want to hold people back? I want to remove these mechanics that have no decision making just mindless APM.

I agree with the first paragraph of your post at least. I played BW for years and even with 2-3 hours of games every day (sometimes more on the weekends) I remained very average with both Zerg and Protoss, and my Terran was always abysmal no matter how much time I put in.

SC2 is a different story. I didn't start playing until March of this year, I barely even play 1v1 ladder anymore, and I maintain diamond league with win rate comfortably above 50%. It's too easy if I can maintain a skill level that much higher than the majority of players with no practice whatsoever.


Well if you are diamond that just means that 80% oare placed below you. This has nothing to do with how hard or diffucult the game is.
ReaperX
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Hong Kong1758 Posts
December 10 2011 15:14 GMT
#42
Cute, pvp will be dead tho
Artosis : Clide. idrA : Shut up.
wattabeast
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States957 Posts
December 10 2011 15:15 GMT
#43
Ummm I don't really like this change. Takes away all the macro mechanics, taking out a huge part of the game, completely lowering part of the skill cap.
:O
Mordiford
Profile Joined April 2011
4448 Posts
December 10 2011 15:17 GMT
#44
On December 10 2011 23:28 Jyxz wrote:
Theory:
-This will drastically reduce the amount of viable all ins, and potentially make expanding much more valuable.
-It will allow bigger maps without causing huge balance issues, allowing for better games.
-This will drastically reduce every races income, making games where you have 200/200 because you need it to stay alive then you end up sacrificing your units to get out better tech, much less common.
-Instead of reducing the skill cap, which is why I believe these mechanics were implemented, I truly believe it will raise it.


Upon re-reading, this is really the core of your argument and it's a really crappy one. You provide no reason to actually believe this is the case and I don't agree with any of your points aside from the third one which isn't really an issue at all, I don't mind players sacrificing units to free up supply, it's not really an issue, it also leave some minor differentiation in how players utilize units they want to discard, efficiently? or just trashing them.

I see no reason to believe your first point is true.

I see no reason to believe your second point is true.

I don't see how something that adds more stuff to do reduces the skill cap, you've really given no reasoning to prove that this is the case.
spbelky
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States623 Posts
December 10 2011 15:17 GMT
#45
Another one of these? really?

If Brood War was such an amazing game, then just go play that and ignore the fact that StarCraft II even exists.

They are different games, stop trying to make one into the other.
karpo
Profile Joined October 2010
Sweden1998 Posts
December 10 2011 15:18 GMT
#46
This looks like a troll post tbh. That quote isn't by Einstein and the suggestions all seem to be worse than bnet forum quality. Start a movement for these changes? I think not.
DusTerr
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
2520 Posts
December 10 2011 15:20 GMT
#47
On December 11 2011 00:11 forsooth wrote:
[...] I played BW for years and even with 2-3 hours of games every day (sometimes more on the weekends) I remained very average with both Zerg and Protoss, and my Terran was always abysmal no matter how much time I put in.

SC2 is a different story. I didn't start playing until March of this year, I barely even play 1v1 ladder anymore, and I maintain diamond league with win rate comfortably above 50%. It's too easy if I can maintain a skill level that much higher than the majority of players with no practice whatsoever.


When did you play BW? (Probably at a time when most active players were 'hardcore').
You're playing SC2 casually while a lot of others are playing casually. Don't think that the mechanics you developed being "average" at BW translated into you being (and maintaining) an above average skill level in SC2? You really can't compare in the way you did.
Jurassic
Profile Joined July 2010
Hungary79 Posts
December 10 2011 15:20 GMT
#48
Your suggestion would simply be the worst thing that ever happened to SC2, potentionally killing it. You know why did Blizzard include macro mechanics in the first place? Because the game was damn too one dimensional with features like MBS and auto-mine. Without macro mechanics, you would only return to your base for placing buildings, nothing else. That's not the case with BW, where you had to manually select buildings to make units. I agree that SC2 is easier, but not bacuse of the macro mechanics, but beacuse of the UI. And thats still not necessarily a bad thing: there is a reason why BW is dead everywhere except Korea.
forsooth
Profile Joined February 2011
United States3648 Posts
December 10 2011 15:26 GMT
#49
On December 11 2011 00:20 DusTerr wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 11 2011 00:11 forsooth wrote:
[...] I played BW for years and even with 2-3 hours of games every day (sometimes more on the weekends) I remained very average with both Zerg and Protoss, and my Terran was always abysmal no matter how much time I put in.

SC2 is a different story. I didn't start playing until March of this year, I barely even play 1v1 ladder anymore, and I maintain diamond league with win rate comfortably above 50%. It's too easy if I can maintain a skill level that much higher than the majority of players with no practice whatsoever.


When did you play BW? (Probably at a time when most active players were 'hardcore').
You're playing SC2 casually while a lot of others are playing casually. Don't think that the mechanics you developed being "average" at BW translated into you being (and maintaining) an above average skill level in SC2? You really can't compare in the way you did.

I was most active between 2001-2006, then dropped off steadily until going pretty much inactive a couple years ago. I do understand that the mechanics I developed in BW gave me an initial edge over people who were being introduced to StarCraft through SC2, but when I beat someone easily who's in diamond with hundreds of 1v1s played each season in comparison to my couple dozen, it's both surprising and off-putting. I don't feel like I should be beating people who put in vastly more time than I do.
Masq
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Canada1792 Posts
December 10 2011 15:29 GMT
#50
On December 10 2011 23:28 Jyxz wrote:
My proposed solution:
-Protoss gateway units all 10% faster build time, Robo bay units 15% faster build time, Stargate 15% faster build time. Warp gate research 160 --> 120.

Theory:
-This will drastically reduce the amount of viable all ins, and potentially make expanding much more valuable.


I don't mean to sound rude, but can't you see how you contradict yourself here?
MVTaylor
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United Kingdom2893 Posts
December 10 2011 15:29 GMT
#51
Is this a troll?

If not... wow, this is so terribly thought out I can't believe it

Early game it takes 17 seconds between making workers for Protoss and Terran (without Chrono).

A hatch produces a larvae every 15 seconds allowing for zerg to already make workers faster than the other two races..

and NOW you want zerg to be able to make them every 12.75 seconds compared to 17 for both races? Can I have some of what you're smoking...
@followMVT
lindn
Profile Joined July 2010
Sweden833 Posts
December 10 2011 15:42 GMT
#52
While dota isn't balanced around EM dota, SC2 is balanced around its macro mechanics. this is a huge difference.
babyToSS
Profile Joined December 2009
233 Posts
December 10 2011 15:57 GMT
#53
Have to disagree with macro mechanics making the game easier. It adds to the decision making process (something that adds to the skill of the game as mentioned at the end of the OP).
Anyone who feels they are too good/crutch for lower level players is either not keeping up with his macro or has sub optimal decision making regarding how to use mineral spike from mules, more larvae, chrono etc. The game is balanced around macro mechanics. Also your suggested changes would break toss (1 base timings will be way too good).

I agree that the income off a base in SC2 is pretty significant but that just makes the game much faster and you hit pop cap way quicker. Many pros have stated that this makes SC2 a much faster game and is one aspect in which it is actually harder than BW. Just because SC2 does not have the same UI limitations doesn't mean there is nothing to do with your APM. A 300+APM player will always have an advantage over the 100APM player provided the actions are being used properly. Just look at forGG when he micros reapers, banshees while macroing behind it. Its also pretty obvious from the games that even the best of the best are no where close to hitting the skill ceiling and make a lot of mechanical mistakes.

BW was very difficult because it had UI limitations which made it very mechanically demanding. For example, it was near impossible to play TvZ in BW unless you had crazy high APM because of all those raxes that you had to macro off while pushing the zerg. IMO as people figure out the game more and more, they will get way better at multi-tasking in SC2 and the skill ceiling will eventually be very high. Just look at jjakji and leenock game 1 from the GSL where they were both very active with their armies trying to out position the other throughout the entire game while doing the usual TvZ macro and harass, eventually there will be very few periods of passivity and good players will be pressuring and trying to get good positions through out the game.
babyToSS here! Can u go easy on me plzzz?
FeyFey
Profile Joined September 2010
Germany10114 Posts
December 10 2011 16:18 GMT
#54
orbital just for scans, hell terran will know everything you are doing (after they will buff tons of terran units supply cost wise, and reduce cost on some t1,5s to make up for the reduced amount of workers they have compared to the other races). toss builds faster wee. return of the 4 gate in every matchup, but now with only 3 gates.

Anyway thanks for this funny post op. It made me laugh and shake my head. But i feel for you, your nexus is probably at full energy most of the time :/ .

PS: A fan of bw will always say its the best game ever unimportant if its true or not ;o until they find something more fun to watch and play, then they will start to hate on bw .
teamsolid
Profile Joined October 2007
Canada3668 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-10 16:35:56
December 10 2011 16:21 GMT
#55
On December 11 2011 00:17 Mordiford wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 10 2011 23:28 Jyxz wrote:
Theory:
-This will drastically reduce the amount of viable all ins, and potentially make expanding much more valuable.
-It will allow bigger maps without causing huge balance issues, allowing for better games.
-This will drastically reduce every races income, making games where you have 200/200 because you need it to stay alive then you end up sacrificing your units to get out better tech, much less common.
-Instead of reducing the skill cap, which is why I believe these mechanics were implemented, I truly believe it will raise it.


Upon re-reading, this is really the core of your argument and it's a really crappy one. You provide no reason to actually believe this is the case and I don't agree with any of your points aside from the third one which isn't really an issue at all, I don't mind players sacrificing units to free up supply, it's not really an issue, it also leave some minor differentiation in how players utilize units they want to discard, efficiently? or just trashing them.

I see no reason to believe your first point is true.

I see no reason to believe your second point is true.

I don't see how something that adds more stuff to do reduces the skill cap, you've really given no reasoning to prove that this is the case.

Pretty much this... all your conclusions sounds "nice", but you've provided absolutely no justifications for how your changes will lead to them. This is why B.Net forum theory craft posts are not being taken seriously by Blizzard and thank god for that.

Your proposal is basically:

Step 1. Remove mechanics from the game (that require skill to use)
Step 2. ?????
Step 3. Profit

TBH, this kind of sounds like a crappy English essay or something, with a lot of flowery language to dress up the situation and convince the reader, but with completely fail logic.
AnachronisticAnarchy
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States2957 Posts
December 10 2011 16:29 GMT
#56
Because of the chronoboost, mule, and inject larva abilities, Starcraft 2 is to Starcraft, as easy mode dota is to regular dota. It feels gimmicky and massively luck based.

Umm....what? As opposed to making a freaking million hatcheries and hotkeying all of them, I actually have to do something now. Why do these mechanics make it gimmicky and what the heck does not missing your injects have to do with luck? I just don't see the point behind your post.
Sure, BW was harder, but that was because of primitive design like the horrible pathing AI and also, SC2 is a different game. If I wanted a BW clone, well.. I wouldn't. I would play BW.
"How are you?" "I am fine, because it is not normal to scream in pain."
Shiori
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
3815 Posts
December 10 2011 16:58 GMT
#57
i'd be down with these changes.
Musketeer
Profile Joined August 2010
142 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-10 17:21:08
December 10 2011 17:20 GMT
#58
Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is just supposed to be a troll.

The first post doesn't even argue anything anything; it's just meant to be inflammatory. He provides no justification for his point other than "I feel that..."

We've had this discussion here countless times: if you think BW is a better game, go play it. The rest of us are happy that SC2 is not identical.
Lord_J
Profile Joined April 2011
Kenya1085 Posts
December 10 2011 17:21 GMT
#59
All I see here is some suggested changes and then conclusory statements about the effects you expect them to produce with no reasoning or expectation to link the two together.

How will making Protoss units build faster reduce the number of viable all-ins? What does removing chrono boost have to do with improving balance on large maps? How does reducing players' incoming increase the skill cap? Why does the idea of a skill cap even matter when no one ever has or ever will approach flawless play?
No relation to Monsieur J.
Roe
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Canada6002 Posts
December 10 2011 17:30 GMT
#60
your argument is contradictory. you think if takes more skill to not do larva inject/mule/scan/chrono than to actually have to do it?
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 20m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko36
StarCraft: Brood War
actioN 1448
firebathero 1055
Shuttle 584
Jaedong 458
BeSt 361
Hyuk 353
Mong 350
Hyun 271
Soma 192
Stork 139
[ Show more ]
PianO 90
Horang2 87
Sexy 83
Larva 75
Shine 65
Mind 63
Rush 61
910 54
Shinee 34
sSak 27
Bale 27
ZerO 26
Hm[arnc] 22
ZergMaN 22
sorry 19
HiyA 17
hero 16
Sharp 16
Noble 15
Terrorterran 5
Dota 2
XcaliburYe86
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1198
shoxiejesuss834
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King253
Other Games
gofns38367
summit1g6654
singsing927
ceh9624
KnowMe134
Pyrionflax125
Livibee69
DeMusliM48
Trikslyr27
ZerO(Twitch)4
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick447
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream36
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1098
• Stunt339
Other Games
• Shiphtur433
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
1h 20m
Patches Events
6h 20m
The PondCast
1d
INu's Battles
1d 1h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 12h
Replay Cast
1d 13h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.