• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:13
CEST 05:13
KST 12:13
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach0[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon101Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool The Death of Cheese: From a Professional Cheeser
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach StarCraft Human 'N' AI League
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10336 users

IPL Charity Stream to Support Amanda (PPSL) 11/14 - Page 24

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 22 23 24 25 26 39 Next All
IMPORTANT: the flights are now covered, and Amanda should be fine: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=285511&currentpage=25#487

further donations will be for "paying event salaries (casters, talent, staff, etc.) and other event-related expenses"
Oktyabr
Profile Joined July 2011
Singapore2234 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-15 03:39:51
November 15 2011 03:39 GMT
#461
On November 15 2011 12:36 SupLilSon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 15 2011 12:31 dAPhREAk wrote:
On November 15 2011 12:30 SupLilSon wrote:
On November 15 2011 12:24 dAPhREAk wrote:
On November 15 2011 12:21 bibbaly wrote:
On November 15 2011 12:17 Assirra wrote:
On November 15 2011 12:16 bibbaly wrote:
I'm sure it has been asked in the thread but what is wrong with pursuing him legally?

It takes ages
It costs tons
Those 2 reasons in a nutshell.



If the case is won however Gus' name not only will be forever tarnished (it already is) but he will be forced to pay this debt and face possible jail time for FRAUD.

This is not a community issue IMO this is a legal issue that should be pursued. Even if the community pays the debt what happens to Gus?

his name is already tarnished in the community. winning a judgment is not the same as collecting on a judgment; people win all the time and never get paid (for example, oj simpson still hasnt paid his debt for the wrongful death suit). IPL cannot do anything to put him in jail; ipl can only bring a CIVIL suit for fraud, not a CRIMINAL suit for fraud. only the police and district attorney (or PI equivalent) can put people in jail.

as for what happens to Gus, he gets shunned from this community, but likely nothing else unless the matter is referred to the police. however, mismanagement of funds does not equal criminal fraud.

sucks, but that is how life works.


You're telling me that IGN, a company that sold for 650,000,000 dollars, can't afford to bail amanda out? You're telling me that IGN doesn't have any conventions for preventing employes from taking off with tens of thousands of dollars?

I'll support the cause because an innocent person's livelihood is at stake but don't expect me to jump on the IGN bandwagon. To me it seems like they messed up hard and for some reason Amanda has to come to the community for help when IGN could have solved all this financial business the first minute...

IPL was just a sponsor. what exactly are you talking about?


Yea, it was their money... and until they clarify more, I'll assume Amanda was their employee or was contracted by them to work for the event. Either way, I find it odd that IGN needs community help to produce these funds. Like I said, I'll support the cause but I'm not going to blindly praise IGN for simply fixing their own mistakes.


Amanda isn't an employee of theirs. The other Gus thread has spelled it all out.
Helix
Profile Joined August 2010
United States35 Posts
November 15 2011 03:39 GMT
#462
I really, really hope Gus gets arrested and goes to jail.

And then gets raped. Forever and ever and ever.

What a fucking shithead.

User was warned for this post
TheGiftedApe
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1243 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-15 03:40:31
November 15 2011 03:39 GMT
#463
On November 15 2011 12:27 hXc Chris wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 15 2011 12:25 Emporio wrote:
On November 15 2011 12:23 hXc Chris wrote:
On November 15 2011 12:16 SniXSniPe wrote:
On November 15 2011 12:14 hXc Chris wrote:
If I had a dollar for every time someone failed or lost out on trying to "support the esport community" id have more than enough money to get Amanda a get out of jail free card.

Unfortunately I dont have that kind of money and i'm pretty much sick of all this panhandling nonsense that goes on around the SC2 scene.

"I quit my job in the emergency room to support esports and esports fired me" someone hire me!

"I'm a progamer that made bank in the GSL but I need the community to support me to MLG" uh...what?

"I signed for 23k worth of debt for some guy and now I might go to jail or lose my business" no thanks

I'll leave the stream on but thats it. Charitycraft is getting really old.

Community bailout is getting old.


That was the community wanting to see him at MLG. He never asked for the community to sponsor him to go, and he probably didn't want to go before that because it was expensive and had very little profit.




I understand that. I dont hold anything against MKP. I just find it ridiculous either way that it happened. Not to mention the Disney world vacation that Milkis proposed. Actually I dont know how the whole thing happened other than the Milkis reddit thread but if he propsed the idea then i'm throwing him under the charity case bus.

I
I'm a little confused. What do you have an issue with?


The overwhelming amount of charity cases in the name of "esports"


Ya man what's with all these fuckin people, helping people purely out of the goodness of their hearts. Shame on them for helping someone in need. How dare these pretentious ass holes help someone that they don't personally know, what kind of a jerk would do something like that, they should be blacklisted. SHAME ON YOU CHARITY GIVERS SHAME.

lmao seriously bro, No one is forcing anyone to do anything. The fact that the community can come together to right a wrong is a beautiful thing. YOU DON'T HAVE TO LIKE IT, and YOU DON'T HAVE TO GIVE! No one is forcing anyone to do anything. Simple fact is without eSports, amanda would be out the money, but eSports enthusiasts feel so strongly about our reputation that they are willing to right what Gus has done wrong. No one here is begging, and I'd bet 99% of people here think this cause is just.

Ps: Gus you better watch your back homie, eSports justice goes both ways, you've got some karma coming.
xO-Gaming.com || [xO]TheGiftedApe.364 || xO-Gaming Manager.
Automata
Profile Joined March 2011
393 Posts
November 15 2011 03:39 GMT
#464
I'm a broke student but I'll do my part by opening the stream and clicking ads whenever I see them. Hope that helps!
Shebuha
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada1335 Posts
November 15 2011 03:40 GMT
#465
Watch the stream at least!! GOGOGO!!!
If you can't donate watch all night!!!
JoeSchmoe
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada2058 Posts
November 15 2011 03:41 GMT
#466
On November 15 2011 12:33 Oktyabr wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 15 2011 12:30 JoeSchmoe wrote:
On November 15 2011 12:14 hXc Chris wrote:
If I had a dollar for every time someone failed or lost out on trying to "support the esport community" id have more than enough money to get Amanda a get out of jail free card.

Unfortunately I dont have that kind of money and i'm pretty much sick of all this panhandling nonsense that goes on around the SC2 scene.

"I quit my job in the emergency room to support esports and esports fired me" someone hire me!

"I'm a progamer that made bank in the GSL but I need the community to support me to MLG" uh...what?

"I signed for 23k worth of debt for some guy and now I might go to jail or lose my business" no thanks

I'll leave the stream on but thats it. Charitycraft is getting really old.

Community bailout is getting old.


I agree this. Granted IPL had no way of anticipating this shit was going to happen, it is ultimately their responsibility and those involved to resolve these problem. They are definitely risks involved in planning an event such as this and they made some mistakes/errors in judgement which is reasonable. But there need to be a backup plan, you can't just bailout on the community every time shit doesn't happen the way they were supposed to.

Also I am curious. If IPL and PPSL are profiting from this (even if their revenues are already scaled back by this fiasco), wouldn't it make more sense to pay out of their own pockets and settle for a smaller paycheck instead of dumping this on the community? Of course I'm assuming IPL/PPSL didn't LOSE money from organizing this event.

That being said I'll leave the stream on for tonight.


It isn't *ultimately their responsibility*. They just owe $7K and that wouldn't cover the rest of Amanda's incurred debt.


ultimately their responsibility and those involved to resolve these problem


don't take my words out of context. the point is not whether who owes who money. IPL and PPSL collaborated to create an event that went bad and they're asking the community to help cover for their mistakes. Now the question is, did IGN/PPSL make some poor decisions and errors in judgement that could've otherwise avoided all of this? If so, they should be responsible for this. But the truth is no one knows exactly what the fuck happened which causes people to ask questions because IPL has been very transparent with things before.

This person sums it up pretty well
I can't believe IGN is actually soliciting donations without providing a detailed explanation of what the fuck exactly happened here.

What was the legal nature of IGN's partnership with Gus? How much money was transacted and between whom? Why did IGN allow Gus so much autonomy in organizing and budgeting an event this big? Who exactly is Amanda, where is she based, and why is she liable for the travel charges? Don't travel agents have some kind of standard legal mechanism in place to protect themselves if their client fails to pay?

Without further information, I can only conclude that Amanda was extremely reckless in her dealings with Gus. You cannot assume massive amounts of debt on behalf of someone else unless there's a contract or you've at least carefully vetted them.

If IGN doesn't want Amanda to go to jail, they should pay her bills themselves. It's fucking disingenuous for them to guilt the community like this to make up for their own negligence.

youngminii
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Australia7514 Posts
November 15 2011 03:41 GMT
#467
In a nutshell:

IPL (Alex) are fucking awesome, they didn't need to but they did and they're not receiving enough credit for this. Alex is the antigus.

A bunch of starcrafters have no hearts, it's one thing to just not pay/support Amanda in a time of need but to openly criticise her and dismiss the plea for help is just outright cruel. Fuck you guys, fuck you all to hell.

The most legit 'charity' cause for starcraft so far, we'll see how it goes.

Money makes people greedy. Never trust anyone with money. Especially tens of thousands of dollars. Without solid legal conditions set in place to protect you. There are cunts in the world, even in the starcraft community.
lalala
dAPhREAk
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Nauru12397 Posts
November 15 2011 03:42 GMT
#468
On November 15 2011 12:36 SupLilSon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 15 2011 12:31 dAPhREAk wrote:
On November 15 2011 12:30 SupLilSon wrote:
On November 15 2011 12:24 dAPhREAk wrote:
On November 15 2011 12:21 bibbaly wrote:
On November 15 2011 12:17 Assirra wrote:
On November 15 2011 12:16 bibbaly wrote:
I'm sure it has been asked in the thread but what is wrong with pursuing him legally?

It takes ages
It costs tons
Those 2 reasons in a nutshell.



If the case is won however Gus' name not only will be forever tarnished (it already is) but he will be forced to pay this debt and face possible jail time for FRAUD.

This is not a community issue IMO this is a legal issue that should be pursued. Even if the community pays the debt what happens to Gus?

his name is already tarnished in the community. winning a judgment is not the same as collecting on a judgment; people win all the time and never get paid (for example, oj simpson still hasnt paid his debt for the wrongful death suit). IPL cannot do anything to put him in jail; ipl can only bring a CIVIL suit for fraud, not a CRIMINAL suit for fraud. only the police and district attorney (or PI equivalent) can put people in jail.

as for what happens to Gus, he gets shunned from this community, but likely nothing else unless the matter is referred to the police. however, mismanagement of funds does not equal criminal fraud.

sucks, but that is how life works.


You're telling me that IGN, a company that sold for 650,000,000 dollars, can't afford to bail amanda out? You're telling me that IGN doesn't have any conventions for preventing employes from taking off with tens of thousands of dollars?

I'll support the cause because an innocent person's livelihood is at stake but don't expect me to jump on the IGN bandwagon. To me it seems like they messed up hard and for some reason Amanda has to come to the community for help when IGN could have solved all this financial business the first minute...

IPL was just a sponsor. what exactly are you talking about?


Yea, it was their money... and until they clarify more, I'll assume Amanda was their employee or was contracted by them to work for the event. Either way, I find it odd that IGN needs community help to produce these funds. Like I said, I'll support the cause but I'm not going to blindly praise IGN for simply fixing their own mistakes.

they have already clarified. have you bothered to read their statements? they were just sponsors of the tournament for a total of $14k. they are doing this charity event to help amanda, not to fix their mistakes. if you are going to assume something, why dont you assume the best in them for putting on a charity event, not assume the worst.
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46473 Posts
November 15 2011 03:42 GMT
#469
Sheth and White-Ra were casting earlier today, and I wonder if you could get them or any other big names to stream/ cast for this charity event. Sheth and Destiny have casted for charities before (e.g. 24 hour streams) and raised thousands and thousands of dollars for great causes.
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
johngalt90
Profile Joined May 2010
United States357 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-15 03:44:05
November 15 2011 03:43 GMT
#470
@ hXc Chris
Someone got screwed over and this requires very little effort to help (dont need to twist my arm to watch sc2 games what is the problem with that. If you dont like it don't support it no one is making you so why do you need to criticize others who choose to do so?

You have a right to an opinion but that doesnt make it "valid" in fact to everyone else your arguement appears unproductive and just well... wrong. You are entitled to your opinion but that doesnt mean anyone wants to here it. There is nothing wrong with charity and i'm glad esports has lots of it, why not harness esports for good.

I will say this isnt charity as much as trying to rectify a loss, She got unjustly burned by the tournament organizer and sending the message that if you get screwed assisting or doing a service for an esport related event you will recieve help fixing it

+10 IPL
fuck the haters
Helix
Profile Joined August 2010
United States35 Posts
November 15 2011 03:44 GMT
#471
On November 15 2011 12:41 JoeSchmoe wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 15 2011 12:33 Oktyabr wrote:
On November 15 2011 12:30 JoeSchmoe wrote:
On November 15 2011 12:14 hXc Chris wrote:
If I had a dollar for every time someone failed or lost out on trying to "support the esport community" id have more than enough money to get Amanda a get out of jail free card.

Unfortunately I dont have that kind of money and i'm pretty much sick of all this panhandling nonsense that goes on around the SC2 scene.

"I quit my job in the emergency room to support esports and esports fired me" someone hire me!

"I'm a progamer that made bank in the GSL but I need the community to support me to MLG" uh...what?

"I signed for 23k worth of debt for some guy and now I might go to jail or lose my business" no thanks

I'll leave the stream on but thats it. Charitycraft is getting really old.

Community bailout is getting old.


I agree this. Granted IPL had no way of anticipating this shit was going to happen, it is ultimately their responsibility and those involved to resolve these problem. They are definitely risks involved in planning an event such as this and they made some mistakes/errors in judgement which is reasonable. But there need to be a backup plan, you can't just bailout on the community every time shit doesn't happen the way they were supposed to.

Also I am curious. If IPL and PPSL are profiting from this (even if their revenues are already scaled back by this fiasco), wouldn't it make more sense to pay out of their own pockets and settle for a smaller paycheck instead of dumping this on the community? Of course I'm assuming IPL/PPSL didn't LOSE money from organizing this event.

That being said I'll leave the stream on for tonight.


It isn't *ultimately their responsibility*. They just owe $7K and that wouldn't cover the rest of Amanda's incurred debt.


Show nested quote +
ultimately their responsibility and those involved to resolve these problem


don't take my words out of context. the point is not whether who owes who money. IPL and PPSL collaborated to create an event that went bad and they're asking the community to help cover for their mistakes. Now the question is, did IGN/PPSL make some poor decisions and errors in judgement that could've otherwise avoided all of this? If so, they should be responsible for this. But the truth is no one knows exactly what the fuck happened which causes people to ask questions because IPL has been very transparent with things before.

This person sums it up pretty well
Show nested quote +
I can't believe IGN is actually soliciting donations without providing a detailed explanation of what the fuck exactly happened here.

What was the legal nature of IGN's partnership with Gus? How much money was transacted and between whom? Why did IGN allow Gus so much autonomy in organizing and budgeting an event this big? Who exactly is Amanda, where is she based, and why is she liable for the travel charges? Don't travel agents have some kind of standard legal mechanism in place to protect themselves if their client fails to pay?

Without further information, I can only conclude that Amanda was extremely reckless in her dealings with Gus. You cannot assume massive amounts of debt on behalf of someone else unless there's a contract or you've at least carefully vetted them.

If IGN doesn't want Amanda to go to jail, they should pay her bills themselves. It's fucking disingenuous for them to guilt the community like this to make up for their own negligence.



Do you like, read? Or follow this scene at all? There have been LOADS of explanations. tl:dr since apparently some people don't pay any attention:

PPSL sucked because IGN had very little control

Gus stole a bunch of money and disappeared

The money is under Amanda's name, and without it she could be sued or arrested.

People are helping out of the goodness of their hearts.
Logan_ps
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
United Kingdom118 Posts
November 15 2011 03:45 GMT
#472
Tuned in. Will do all night. Disgusting work by Gus
WaZuP
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Germany487 Posts
November 15 2011 03:46 GMT
#473
goin to turn addblock off to support, really nice initiative
this whole Amanda case is a proper example that the internet is not full of hatefull shooter freaks n stuff but people who care for others and theyr community.
bibbaly
Profile Joined October 2010
98 Posts
November 15 2011 03:46 GMT
#474
Has there been any word at least on IGN's stance on taking legal action?
dAPhREAk
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Nauru12397 Posts
November 15 2011 03:47 GMT
#475
On November 15 2011 12:46 bibbaly wrote:
Has there been any word at least on IGN's stance on taking legal action?

they said no.
JoeSchmoe
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada2058 Posts
November 15 2011 03:47 GMT
#476
On November 15 2011 12:44 Helix wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 15 2011 12:41 JoeSchmoe wrote:
On November 15 2011 12:33 Oktyabr wrote:
On November 15 2011 12:30 JoeSchmoe wrote:
On November 15 2011 12:14 hXc Chris wrote:
If I had a dollar for every time someone failed or lost out on trying to "support the esport community" id have more than enough money to get Amanda a get out of jail free card.

Unfortunately I dont have that kind of money and i'm pretty much sick of all this panhandling nonsense that goes on around the SC2 scene.

"I quit my job in the emergency room to support esports and esports fired me" someone hire me!

"I'm a progamer that made bank in the GSL but I need the community to support me to MLG" uh...what?

"I signed for 23k worth of debt for some guy and now I might go to jail or lose my business" no thanks

I'll leave the stream on but thats it. Charitycraft is getting really old.

Community bailout is getting old.


I agree this. Granted IPL had no way of anticipating this shit was going to happen, it is ultimately their responsibility and those involved to resolve these problem. They are definitely risks involved in planning an event such as this and they made some mistakes/errors in judgement which is reasonable. But there need to be a backup plan, you can't just bailout on the community every time shit doesn't happen the way they were supposed to.

Also I am curious. If IPL and PPSL are profiting from this (even if their revenues are already scaled back by this fiasco), wouldn't it make more sense to pay out of their own pockets and settle for a smaller paycheck instead of dumping this on the community? Of course I'm assuming IPL/PPSL didn't LOSE money from organizing this event.

That being said I'll leave the stream on for tonight.


It isn't *ultimately their responsibility*. They just owe $7K and that wouldn't cover the rest of Amanda's incurred debt.


ultimately their responsibility and those involved to resolve these problem


don't take my words out of context. the point is not whether who owes who money. IPL and PPSL collaborated to create an event that went bad and they're asking the community to help cover for their mistakes. Now the question is, did IGN/PPSL make some poor decisions and errors in judgement that could've otherwise avoided all of this? If so, they should be responsible for this. But the truth is no one knows exactly what the fuck happened which causes people to ask questions because IPL has been very transparent with things before.

This person sums it up pretty well
I can't believe IGN is actually soliciting donations without providing a detailed explanation of what the fuck exactly happened here.

What was the legal nature of IGN's partnership with Gus? How much money was transacted and between whom? Why did IGN allow Gus so much autonomy in organizing and budgeting an event this big? Who exactly is Amanda, where is she based, and why is she liable for the travel charges? Don't travel agents have some kind of standard legal mechanism in place to protect themselves if their client fails to pay?

Without further information, I can only conclude that Amanda was extremely reckless in her dealings with Gus. You cannot assume massive amounts of debt on behalf of someone else unless there's a contract or you've at least carefully vetted them.

If IGN doesn't want Amanda to go to jail, they should pay her bills themselves. It's fucking disingenuous for them to guilt the community like this to make up for their own negligence.



Do you like, read? Or follow this scene at all? There have been LOADS of explanations. tl:dr since apparently some people don't pay any attention:

PPSL sucked because IGN had very little control

Gus stole a bunch of money and disappeared

The money is under Amanda's name, and without it she could be sued or arrested.

People are helping out of the goodness of their hearts.


I read but do you? those aren't explanations. they're statements of what happened. Maybe you can help address these questions since you seem so knowledgeable about the whole ordeal.

What was the legal nature of IGN's partnership with Gus? How much money was transacted and between whom? Why did IGN allow Gus so much autonomy in organizing and budgeting an event this big? Who exactly is Amanda, where is she based, and why is she liable for the travel charges? Don't travel agents have some kind of standard legal mechanism in place to protect themselves if their client fails to pay?

alexhard
Profile Joined May 2010
Sweden317 Posts
November 15 2011 03:48 GMT
#477
So what happens when police get hold of Gus and he's forced to pay the outstanding balance to Amanda?
Oktyabr
Profile Joined July 2011
Singapore2234 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-15 03:50:35
November 15 2011 03:49 GMT
#478
On November 15 2011 12:41 JoeSchmoe wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 15 2011 12:33 Oktyabr wrote:
On November 15 2011 12:30 JoeSchmoe wrote:
On November 15 2011 12:14 hXc Chris wrote:
If I had a dollar for every time someone failed or lost out on trying to "support the esport community" id have more than enough money to get Amanda a get out of jail free card.

Unfortunately I dont have that kind of money and i'm pretty much sick of all this panhandling nonsense that goes on around the SC2 scene.

"I quit my job in the emergency room to support esports and esports fired me" someone hire me!

"I'm a progamer that made bank in the GSL but I need the community to support me to MLG" uh...what?

"I signed for 23k worth of debt for some guy and now I might go to jail or lose my business" no thanks

I'll leave the stream on but thats it. Charitycraft is getting really old.

Community bailout is getting old.


I agree this. Granted IPL had no way of anticipating this shit was going to happen, it is ultimately their responsibility and those involved to resolve these problem. They are definitely risks involved in planning an event such as this and they made some mistakes/errors in judgement which is reasonable. But there need to be a backup plan, you can't just bailout on the community every time shit doesn't happen the way they were supposed to.

Also I am curious. If IPL and PPSL are profiting from this (even if their revenues are already scaled back by this fiasco), wouldn't it make more sense to pay out of their own pockets and settle for a smaller paycheck instead of dumping this on the community? Of course I'm assuming IPL/PPSL didn't LOSE money from organizing this event.

That being said I'll leave the stream on for tonight.


It isn't *ultimately their responsibility*. They just owe $7K and that wouldn't cover the rest of Amanda's incurred debt.


Show nested quote +
ultimately their responsibility and those involved to resolve these problem


don't take my words out of context. the point is not whether who owes who money. IPL and PPSL collaborated to create an event that went bad and they're asking the community to help cover for their mistakes. Now the question is, did IGN/PPSL make some poor decisions and errors in judgement that could've otherwise avoided all of this? If so, they should be responsible for this. But the truth is no one knows exactly what the fuck happened which causes people to ask questions because IPL has been very transparent with things before.

This person sums it up pretty well
Show nested quote +
I can't believe IGN is actually soliciting donations without providing a detailed explanation of what the fuck exactly happened here.

What was the legal nature of IGN's partnership with Gus? How much money was transacted and between whom? Why did IGN allow Gus so much autonomy in organizing and budgeting an event this big? Who exactly is Amanda, where is she based, and why is she liable for the travel charges? Don't travel agents have some kind of standard legal mechanism in place to protect themselves if their client fails to pay?

Without further information, I can only conclude that Amanda was extremely reckless in her dealings with Gus. You cannot assume massive amounts of debt on behalf of someone else unless there's a contract or you've at least carefully vetted them.

If IGN doesn't want Amanda to go to jail, they should pay her bills themselves. It's fucking disingenuous for them to guilt the community like this to make up for their own negligence.



Read the other threads. IGN's only fuck up was believing Gus wouldn't mismanage this event by this magnitude. Their oversight was simply placing in too much trust in him.

Now praying that the PPSL will turn up and help pay up the amount in full is like hoping for a unicorn to pay you a visit. The least they can do is get the community to help out this way.

IGN has absolutely no obligation to Amanda. She doesn't work for them, period.
Sufinsil
Profile Joined January 2011
United States760 Posts
November 15 2011 03:50 GMT
#479
Wish i caught this earlier, got a stream running to support.
SCST
Profile Joined November 2011
Mexico1609 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-15 03:52:41
November 15 2011 03:50 GMT
#480
Folks I have to agree with some of the people questioning IGN here. I am a fan of IGN, and I know that IGN has a LOT of money. So can someone from IGN please explain why this large corporation cannot help Amanda out directly instead of begging the fans for donations?

Would be nice to see more than a handful of U.S. companies open their wallets for charity once in a while. Especially when said company is directly related to the charity "issue" or "reason". Though as someone who previously worked in corporate America (the pinnacle of selfish capitalism), I've learned not to expect much.

There is no debate from me that Amanda needs help. I do debate, however, the selfish path that this is heading down. If IGN wants to "make things right", and is capable of doing so themselves (yes, IGN is capable), then do it. Don't ask others to do it for you.
"The weak cannot forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong." - Gandhi
Prev 1 22 23 24 25 26 39 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
00:00
2026 GSTL: Grand Finals
CranKy Ducklings135
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
23:00
OSC Masters Cup #151 Qualifier
davetesta33
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 198
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 10381
Terrorterran 17
Dota 2
monkeys_forever1106
NeuroSwarm197
febbydoto16
League of Legends
JimRising 711
Counter-Strike
taco 317
minikerr40
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King245
hungrybox122
Other Games
summit1g9354
Maynarde219
ArmadaUGS47
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick406
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 12
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 174
• Letter148
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo801
• Rush552
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
6h 47m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
7h 47m
Monday Night Weeklies
12h 47m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 6h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 6h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 20h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.