• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:20
CEST 19:20
KST 02:20
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8446 users

[G] Frozen's FE PvP Guide - Page 2

Forum Index > Brood War Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 13 14 15 Next All
OneOther
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States10774 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-21 16:36:09
July 21 2010 16:33 GMT
#21
Rio: once I see enough goons to determine you are going goon or goon/reaver, I will cut probes to get either four or five gateways and produce enough goons to defend the attack. Why don't you actually try it out first?

ajmbek: Same thing as Rio. You can defend goon/reaver with this build.

Muirhead: It's much easier to scout that on maps like Fighting Spirit. If you spawn at 7, then you obviously need to check 6 and 9. I do not like Kal's DT follow-up, simply because it's too vulnerable to any type of early robo attacks. Like you mentioned, you can keep pressuring with zealots and goons off two gates to get a clue of what he's doing. I have not faced a shield battery + proxy robo yet though.

I will post a replay of defending two gate reaver once I find/play one.
OneOther
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States10774 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-21 17:15:36
July 21 2010 17:02 GMT
#22
Added a game vs a friend during our practice series where he goes two gate robo.

EDIT: ajmbek, good job trying it out. Glad it went pretty well. But yeah, an untangible aspect of this build is that most people haven't encountered it and thus will have a pretty bad reaction to it - either doing some all-in mid game or getting excessive early game zealots. Five zealots really do a lot of stuff for you.

Sky.Technique: I am not too sure what the best counter would be. I am not really ready to think about the other side yet haha.

endy: Again, not sure why it's never used anywhere. It's such a strong build. Thanks for your kind words though, and I encourage you to try it out.
Zepish
Profile Joined June 2008
Canada160 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-21 19:54:45
July 21 2010 17:14 GMT
#23


Thanks for the guide

Here's a game of Horang2 playing fast nexus in an ace match of proleague. I feel this can be a very strong build too, me and my friend have played it a lot.

However, I wonder if you played against good players that would harass with their first zealot like in this game?
It seem that they could keep your 5 zealots in your main while they bring their dragoons to your base and then can micro them against the zealot. If horang2 didn't tech after 2 zealots in this game, I feel he wouldn't have been unable to defend with only zealots at his base. I know he still lost afterward but I feel it was just because of kal extremely good micro.

So, what is your take on this? Would you still make 5 zealots in this situation and if yes how would you react?




Muff2n
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United Kingdom252 Posts
July 21 2010 17:25 GMT
#24
Glad to see someone still posting bw strats.

If I were to just do something like 2 gate ranged goon into expo, you say you would cut probes for goons and place a few cannons. How much would this erode your economy advantage?
Saracen
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States5139 Posts
July 21 2010 17:27 GMT
#25
Sick job Ray. It's about time you started writing guides.
0mgVitaminE
Profile Joined February 2009
United States1278 Posts
July 21 2010 18:19 GMT
#26
With sc2 coming out, it makes me even happier when people write guides for broodwar. I still have friends that come up to me asking how they can start playing starcraft because i talk about it so much, and a community that never goes away helps in luring them in
Hi there. I'm in a cave, how bout you?
omahahowitzer
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States98 Posts
July 21 2010 18:42 GMT
#27
With a 50% winrate in PvT and PvZ and a 20% winrate in PvP, eager to try this out in the nooby D+/C- part of the ladder, amazing writeup
omninmo
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
2349 Posts
July 21 2010 19:46 GMT
#28
i miss these old guides. well done and badass.
OneOther
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States10774 Posts
July 21 2010 21:43 GMT
#29
I will answer some of the questions after work!
djcube
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States985 Posts
July 21 2010 22:56 GMT
#30
Dang, for some reason I saw this as "Frozean's Guide" and got all hype. Haha, well good job anyway helping all those Toss's out there
serenidite
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Korea (South)505 Posts
July 22 2010 03:00 GMT
#31
do you play iccup?
would you mind playing this build vs me?
ill do a 1 gate robo expand

i just wanna see how you would hold up vs that early goon/reaver harass
" Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."
endy
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Switzerland8970 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-22 03:57:54
July 22 2010 03:17 GMT
#32
On July 22 2010 02:02 OneOther wrote:
endy: Again, not sure why it's never used anywhere. It's such a strong build. Thanks for your kind words though, and I encourage you to try it out.


Hi Frozen,

I tried it 2 times yesterday on Fighting Spirit.

I lost the first one because of bad macro to his 3 gates goon reaver push, after I defended successfully his first attack. I guess I wasn't used to have that much money that early in PvP :D

I lost the second one vs a guy who went 2 gates zeal + battery. He played it smartly as when my first zeal was ready I used it to block the ramp. His scouting probe had already made a pylon in front of my nat. He used his 2 zeals to reverse block my ramp while building a battery so I couldn't build mine. I decided to cut probes asap and add a 3rd gate, but he added a proxy at my nat with his battery. What he did very well, is that his zealots that blocked my own ramp where in range of his battery. He soon added a second battery. So even if he had less zeals, I couldn't surround his, and couldn't go out either as the 2 batteries where constantly recharging shield.

How could I adapt ? Just keep blocking my cliff and quick tech, since he sacrified his eco and tech to proxy + battery ? Or instead of adding a 3rd gate I could have made cannon on the high ground to shoot his zeals + battery on my nat ?

I haven't watched your replays yet as I really wanted to try the build, but I will tonight ! It's probably the best way to learn.
And the fact I defended the first attack of the first game vs core-zeal double gate goon is enough to convince me the build is definitely viable. I just need to learn how the extra money coming from the FE.

Thanks !
ॐ
Severedevil
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States4839 Posts
July 22 2010 03:58 GMT
#33
On July 22 2010 12:17 endy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 22 2010 02:02 OneOther wrote:
endy: Again, not sure why it's never used anywhere. It's such a strong build. Thanks for your kind words though, and I encourage you to try it out.

How could I adapt ? Just keep blocking my cliff and quick tech, since he sacrified his eco and tech to proxy + battery ? Or instead of adding a 3rd gate I could have made cannon on the high ground to shoot his zeals + battery on my nat ?
Thanks !

You can probe drill the opponent off your ramp, if you at any point let him wall you in.
My strategy is to fork people.
endy
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Switzerland8970 Posts
July 22 2010 04:14 GMT
#34
On July 22 2010 12:58 Severedevil wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 22 2010 12:17 endy wrote:
On July 22 2010 02:02 OneOther wrote:
endy: Again, not sure why it's never used anywhere. It's such a strong build. Thanks for your kind words though, and I encourage you to try it out.

How could I adapt ? Just keep blocking my cliff and quick tech, since he sacrified his eco and tech to proxy + battery ? Or instead of adding a 3rd gate I could have made cannon on the high ground to shoot his zeals + battery on my nat ?
Thanks !

You can probe drill the opponent off your ramp, if you at any point let him wall you in.


I thought about it, but when you drill, your probes surround his zeals, so because it's on a ramp, your own probes prevent your zeals to hit his zeals. Plus he had battery so it would have taken forever to probe drill efficiently. Probe drill could work if I use it to move his zeals and he doesn't re-position them asap. Or maybe I didn't understand well how you wanted to probe drill.
ॐ
Navi
Profile Joined November 2009
5286 Posts
July 22 2010 05:00 GMT
#35
On July 22 2010 13:14 endy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 22 2010 12:58 Severedevil wrote:
On July 22 2010 12:17 endy wrote:
On July 22 2010 02:02 OneOther wrote:
endy: Again, not sure why it's never used anywhere. It's such a strong build. Thanks for your kind words though, and I encourage you to try it out.

How could I adapt ? Just keep blocking my cliff and quick tech, since he sacrified his eco and tech to proxy + battery ? Or instead of adding a 3rd gate I could have made cannon on the high ground to shoot his zeals + battery on my nat ?
Thanks !

You can probe drill the opponent off your ramp, if you at any point let him wall you in.


I thought about it, but when you drill, your probes surround his zeals, so because it's on a ramp, your own probes prevent your zeals to hit his zeals. Plus he had battery so it would have taken forever to probe drill efficiently. Probe drill could work if I use it to move his zeals and he doesn't re-position them asap. Or maybe I didn't understand well how you wanted to probe drill.


stack probes, click on a mineral patch at your natural, and when they're behind his zealots (lower on the ramp) move your zealots and probes to attack simultaneously? = surround attack, and your dps should be better than his recharging + attack rate

I tried this build out a couple of times, and it worked very well I used to try going 12 nexus with 2 zealots off of one gate instead of 5 off of two, but this build is very much more versatile and is surprisingly good at buying time / damaging goons. Thanks for your work man!
Hey! Listen!
falconbeach
Profile Joined September 2009
United States9 Posts
July 22 2010 05:41 GMT
#36
Hi,

Interesting build. I've tried a variation of this before, but the important thing is that people wreck me by sending their first zealot directly to my base and it usually wreaks havoc before i can get my first zealot out. It's a huge nuisance. any suggestions?
Oystein
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
Norway1602 Posts
July 22 2010 13:38 GMT
#37
I have not tested this build, but should it not get into trouble vs people with good goon micro who send their first zealot to harass you while getting 2/3gate rangegoons? Unless you are just sending your zealots mindlessly toward him and dont try to stop the zeal harass he should be able to get his first goon to your base before you can send them toward him?
God Hates a Coward
manymunkies
Profile Joined April 2009
United States184 Posts
July 22 2010 14:41 GMT
#38
coming from a d ranked player, I have tested this build a couple times and it is so useful. resources are so much higher that once you hold off the initial attacks (saying the other protoss went 1 base), you have such an advantage that you can just steam roll him. I have lost once to like 3-4 manner pylons in my mineral line which then proceeded to some zealots before I had enough money to produce any gateways
Be water my friend
OneOther
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States10774 Posts
July 22 2010 17:59 GMT
#39
@Zepish/Oystein: the five zealot and goon timing are much earlier for this build than you think though. You will always have your first zealot out by the time he arrives, so you can choose to block your ramp until you get more zealots. By the time you get five, you need to send four zealots to his base, leaving one behind to chase the one that's left. A lot of it comes down to micro at that point, but you will be at least buy time/scout what he's doing/maybe get probe kills with your zealots.

@manymunkies: I am glad to hear it went pretty well. But yeah holding off some form of attack is the hardest part but once you do, you will be at a huge lead.

@falconbeach: you are doing the build wrong if his first zealot arrives that early and wreaks havoc. I suggest you watch some of my replays.

@endy: watch my replays! I encounter almost the exact same things you lost to, and you can get a basic grasp of how to deal with them. Good for you for trying it out though and better luck next time.
Sky.Technique
Profile Joined March 2010
United States271 Posts
July 22 2010 21:43 GMT
#40
This build doesnt work when the rush distance are close? For example on python? cuz i just played a game where i was 3 my opp was at 6 and his zeal got up my ramp right as my first zeal spawned. and i build stuff like RIGHT as i got enough minerals to get the stuff. (example once i got 150 minerals i got gate, not at 175 minerals, like exactly as soon as possible)

. if he 2gate zeal with continual zeal production should i go to 3 gates, not get gas until he does (or whenever i can get gas + defending), and throw down a shield bat?

thx for the help
iCCup account: 20_E.Reed play me :)
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 13 14 15 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Patches Events
01:00
Patch Clash Monthly #2
RotterdaM734
TKL 256
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 734
ByuN 306
TKL 256
mouzHeroMarine 84
UpATreeSC 77
BRAT_OK 34
MindelVK 8
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 26441
Calm 3344
Shuttle 1136
Horang2 517
Soulkey 204
Rush 133
Dewaltoss 118
Mind 69
hero 62
Zeus 59
[ Show more ]
sorry 39
Free 36
Hyun 35
Trap 22
Killer 20
Bale 19
ToSsGirL 17
PianO 17
Rock 15
Aegong 15
JYJ 13
scan(afreeca) 12
Hm[arnc] 10
Sacsri 7
Noble 4
Dota 2
Gorgc7260
Dendi1248
League of Legends
KnowMe50
Counter-Strike
fl0m3976
x6flipin836
Fnx 608
pashabiceps422
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King70
ChuDatz31
Other Games
singsing1924
Liquid`RaSZi1476
Beastyqt591
ceh9501
Khaldor308
C9.Mang0244
crisheroes227
dupreeh192
420jenkins143
IndyStarCraft 143
QueenE96
Trikslyr87
JuggernautJason12
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream19
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH284
• Hinosc 15
• Reevou 7
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 3324
• WagamamaTV508
League of Legends
• Nemesis2617
• TFBlade585
Other Games
• Shiphtur865
• imaqtpie325
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
16h 41m
INu's Battles
17h 41m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
19h 41m
OSC
1d 4h
Replay Cast
1d 5h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.