• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:14
CEST 22:14
KST 05:14
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7730 users

[G] Frozen's FE PvP Guide - Page 3

Forum Index > Brood War Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 13 14 15 Next All
Sky.Technique
Profile Joined March 2010
United States271 Posts
July 22 2010 21:44 GMT
#41
and yes ive seen the 2 gate rep but i thought u only got third gate cuz he got his third gate as well. any insight into this would be appreciated.
iCCup account: 20_E.Reed play me :)
OneOther
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States10774 Posts
July 22 2010 23:24 GMT
#42
@Sky.Technique - this build works in most cases, even in close positions, as long as you maintain a solid micro and constant zealot production. I mean it's clearly harder if the bases are close, but still defendable. 3v6 Python should be fine.

One important note: try building your gateway as close as possible to the ramp so it can arrive there before your opponent's first zeaot. If you want, I would be more than happy to review specific problems in your play if you uploaded a replay here or PMed me one.

Lastly, if he's sticking with two gate, you do not need to go three gates nor do you need a shield battery. Just have three probes fighting with your zealot force and do not engage him until you have even number of zealots, which WILL inevitably happen (his reinforcement zealots haven't arrived yet)
zer0das
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
United States8519 Posts
July 23 2010 02:28 GMT
#43
I tried this against my buddy I usually play against (we're both D+ levelish) I got scouted immediately on Othello... not close positions though. I defended my opponent pretty well... his zealot came way later than I expected. With some good probe micro, and zealot pumping, he was way behind. He expanded, which I couldn't stop because he was still pumping zealots, but he realized he was so far behind he had to try something drastic- he tried to expand again, which I stopped. He managed to get down a Nexus, but the next fight he lost all of his zealots to my reaver. And then it was just a walkover of mass goons and reavers against goons.

Surprisingly effective, especially since we're pretty even in skill and our PvPs usually drag on endlessly.
BisuDagger
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Bisutopia19391 Posts
July 23 2010 02:43 GMT
#44
good guide
ModeratorFormer Afreeca Starleague Caster: http://afreeca.tv/ASL2ENG2
OneOther
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States10774 Posts
July 23 2010 05:49 GMT
#45
Nice job zer0das. Good read on various situations and taking the right course of action, as far as I can tell.

Anyhow, I was playing some ladder games earlier today and decided to do this build in a PvP Fighting Spirit. When I scout my opponent I see him doing this exact build down to every detail, so I ask "Woah you do this build, too?" he goes "I saw it on TL." And then I am just like I wrote that! Haha it's a good feeling.
Severedevil
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States4839 Posts
July 23 2010 06:11 GMT
#46
I'm curious how this build stacks up to a 1 gate zznexus build. From the numbers I believe you can get your fifth zealot at the same time with that build w/fewer probe cuts and only one gate, but of course the nexus is later.
My strategy is to fork people.
OneOther
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States10774 Posts
July 23 2010 06:15 GMT
#47
On July 23 2010 15:11 Severedevil wrote:
I'm curious how this build stacks up to a 1 gate zznexus build. From the numbers I believe you can get your fifth zealot at the same time with that build w/fewer probe cuts and only one gate, but of course the nexus is later.

If I scout that build, I would build zealots from both gates non-stop to keep pressuring him. Then he would be forced to cut probes/add gates and so on just to survive, which nullifies any advantage - which I don't really see in the first place. You hardly cut any probes with the FE build in the zealot stage
love1another
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States1844 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-23 11:21:50
July 23 2010 11:20 GMT
#48
At D/D- I'm too afraid to try this simply because 80% of pvps I play end up being on a 2-player map where the other player proxy gates. Maybe I should play more FS and less HBR?

Btw, as my name implies, I do love you very much, mr. oneother.
"I'm learning more and more that TL isn't the place to go for advice outside of anything you need in college. It's like you guys just make up your own fantasy world shit and post it as if you've done it." - Chill
Entaro[AoV]
Profile Joined July 2009
United States184 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-23 17:05:22
July 23 2010 17:02 GMT
#49
i just tried this last night on python playing 9v12 positions against a C-/C. I was scouted immediately, but once his first zealot got to my gateway my zealot popped out at the same time. Before I even got to goons the game was over since he tried to go 2 gate robo. The 12-14 gate timing is just like the normal 10-12 , 2 gate zealot timing in terms of zealot count when he gets to your base.

advice to guy on top, if you're D/D- stick to a single popular map that is easy to get games on. FS/Python works well. Your learning curve is gonna be very difficult for all aspects of the game if you are playing many maps.
TL+ Member
Knickknack
Profile Joined February 2004
United States1187 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-24 04:59:57
July 23 2010 18:40 GMT
#50
I've only explored FE builds in pvp slightly. The three viable options are:
FE
1-2zealot expand
2gate zealot expand.

12/13neuxs fe-scout has serious problems with proxy 9/9gates...only chance is hell is if you scout it and cancel nexus.
1-2zealot expand can possibly scout proxy and adapt before expo...though its still serious trouble since you started on 1gate.
10/12 gate zealot expand rapes proxy gates.
This gives a taste of the issues involved with each build.

As far as this guide the opening bo and responses seem largely good, but I would like to see more of the timing involved vs the various openings.
Already mentioned, is that a player can possibly scout you and go 1-2zealot expand and then you hardly have any advantage.
The remaining issue to my mind is 13core (think 10/15gate pvt here).
The zealots are too late to do any real damage, then you will have to deal with many range goons.
So that seems to be the main issue with why fe is not done more often...serious issues vs proxy and 10/15gate.
| www.ArtofProtoss.vze.com |
OneOther
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States10774 Posts
July 23 2010 18:56 GMT
#51
This build will crush 10/15 gate. I don't know if you skipped over the early zealot pressure part, but going 10/15 gate will leave him widely vulnerable to this. Even if it doesn't do any damage - which it will most of the time - it will buy enough minutes to get sufficient defense up with cannons and goons.

I am not really sure what you mean by a player scouting me and going 1-2 zealot expanding, as FE build is vastly better than any type of gate-expand build, especially on maps like Fighting Spirit. He will die to the initial five zealots unless he cuts a large number of probes to get an extra gateway/more zealots. Clearly the FE runs a risk against hardcore proxy, but it can be defended with good micro. There's no perfect build that counters everything - the great part about FE is that there is "hard counter." You can defend and beat everything with proper mechanics and adjustments.

Two gate-expand seems to be the only decent alternative (not as good as FE), as one-gate zealot is a bad build that will get beaten by just about any build, including the FE. Of course I have an advantage if he goes zealot first and then expands, 12 Nexus warps in incredibly fast. And another important aspect is that I can match his zealot count without any problem.
Severedevil
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States4839 Posts
July 23 2010 21:18 GMT
#52
Some of your assertions puzzle me. The way you describe your build's early pressure would be more fitting of a 10/12 gate, but the nexus and +2 probes early will delay your gateway by 1.5 zealots. This is fast enough to defend any non-proxied zealot aggression, but not fast enough to punish your opponent for much of anything.

I tested some relevant timings:
Against 13 core: Your gateway timing is the opponent's core timing.
Against ZcoreZ: Your opponent will have 2 zealots and 1 dragoon (with one goon halfway done) when your fifth zealot pops. But by the time you get to his base, his third goon will just be spawning.
Against ZZcoreZ: Your opponent will have 3 zealots and 2 dragoons finished and ready when your 5 zealots reach his base.
Against 10/15 gate: You reach N zealots a little faster than your opponent reaches N dragoons, enough so that your 5 zealots can reach your opponent's base slightly earlier than a 10/15 gate's 5 dragoons can reach its opponent's base. You might be able to impede him with zealots long enough to prepare a wall o' cannons.

If the opponent scouts particularly early, they'll be mildly slower than the above.

You should be able to block any non-proxied gateway rush and come out with a heavy econ lead, and certainly 5 zealots are useful to buy time (and bolster your army once you have a real army), but I'm not seeing the counter-aggression. They're too late to punish a fast core, and you'll need at least seven to force a second gateway.
My strategy is to fork people.
OneOther
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States10774 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-24 00:41:02
July 23 2010 22:26 GMT
#53
Counter-aggression addressed how to react when you see a 2-3 zealot FE followed by one gate. (or just about any one gate builds e.g. fast tech) I can't see myself losing from losing in that position, as I can constantly pressure with zealots from two gates and force him to cut probes, just to survive.

EDIT: Thanks for testing the timing though! The FE can handle one-base builds, be it one gate or two gate. Proxy is dangerous, but defendable. I like it so much because, as stated before, there is no hard-counter :D
OneOther
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States10774 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-24 00:40:33
July 24 2010 00:40 GMT
#54
oops quoted my own post instead of edit
Muirhead
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States557 Posts
July 24 2010 01:21 GMT
#55
Come on... you're being silly if you say proxy is defendable :/
Pros have trouble with that even if they 10 gate

At best this is like 12 nex PvT and a blind proxy will kill you
starleague.mit.edu
OneOther
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States10774 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-24 21:29:40
July 24 2010 01:29 GMT
#56
Hmm I guess if my opponent had equal micro, it would be difficult to save my Nexus. It also depends on what type of proxy gate it is. A 10/12 gate proxy is somewhat defendable if I pull 5 probes from mineral line, but a 9/9 gate would be nearly impossible to stop. In that case I would just ditch my expo Nexus and pump non-stop probes to get an economic advantage while holding my ramp. (9/9 proxy gates cut a lot of probes obviously)
nbaker
Profile Joined July 2009
United States1341 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-24 01:32:07
July 24 2010 01:31 GMT
#57
Wow, great guide! Thanks so much for helping out! Reading this makes me want to try out my protoss again, but I'm so bad at it I think it's best I fight that urge haha. When I see posts like these it makes me long to improve so I can help out the Broodwar community in a meaningful way.
Thanks again!
love1another
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States1844 Posts
July 26 2010 01:41 GMT
#58
On July 24 2010 10:29 OneOther wrote:
Hmm I guess if my opponent had equal micro, it would be difficult to save my Nexus. It also depends on what type of proxy gate it is. A 10/12 gate proxy is somewhat defendable if I pull 5 probes from mineral line, but a 9/9 gate would be nearly impossible to stop. In that case I would just ditch my expo Nexus and pump non-stop probes to get an economic advantage while holding my ramp. (9/9 proxy gates cut a lot of probes obviously)

How do you plan to hold a ramp against 9/9 proxy gate? Just float probes and block? The first zealot will be in your base far before your first zealot can get out to block the ramp. (which is actually already the case for shortish distance 10-gate-in-base) A smart opponent will just runby your nat and hunt down your probes.

That's clearly a hard-counter right?
"I'm learning more and more that TL isn't the place to go for advice outside of anything you need in college. It's like you guys just make up your own fantasy world shit and post it as if you've done it." - Chill
OneOther
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States10774 Posts
July 26 2010 01:59 GMT
#59
I will be honest and say that I have never encountered the 9/9 proxy gate. I am not sure how timings exactly work out, but I'd be glad to try it out with whoever wants to. It seems pretty obvious that I would have to either cancel (if I scout on time) or sacrifice my expo, and just try to pump as many probes as possible while holding the ramp.
Muirhead
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States557 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-26 02:09:00
July 26 2010 02:03 GMT
#60
I think the point is that you can't hold your ramp TT
He'll have zealots walking around in your main long before you get your first zealot out

He won't even do any damage to your warping in nat and will just runby to kill the probes

Like in PvT a bbsing terran will bunker rush the main and not the nat if facing a 12 nex
starleague.mit.edu
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 13 14 15 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 13h 46m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nina 100
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 15233
Calm 2193
Mini 158
Rush 114
EffOrt 99
Trap 20
scan(afreeca) 15
Bale 13
Dota 2
febbydoto18
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
fl0m5712
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King63
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4884
Liquid`Hasu565
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi1836
Beastyqt726
RotterdaM543
B2W.Neo536
shahzam350
C9.Mang0282
IndyStarCraft 187
crisheroes171
QueenE99
Trikslyr92
ToD77
Dewaltoss58
UpATreeSC58
ZombieGrub34
JuggernautJason21
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream23
Other Games
Algost 4
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• musti20045 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 28
• Michael_bg 14
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• TFBlade987
Other Games
• imaqtpie992
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
13h 46m
INu's Battles
14h 46m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
16h 46m
OSC
1d 2h
Replay Cast
1d 2h
OSC
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
Patches Events
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.