• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:23
CEST 20:23
KST 03:23
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)48Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9835 users

Why We Love Brood War - Page 5

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14 15 Next All
meegrean
Profile Joined May 2008
Thailand7699 Posts
September 02 2011 11:17 GMT
#81
I love Brood War because it is the only game that makes me feel alive... by watching Korean pro games and by playing it. It is the only game I have ever played for more than 10 years and there will never be a substitute to fully replace it.

Brood War Forever.
Brood War loyalist
Elementy
Profile Blog Joined December 2002
United States183 Posts
September 02 2011 11:43 GMT
#82
On September 02 2011 20:17 meegrean wrote:
I love Brood War because it is the only game that makes me feel alive... by watching Korean pro games and by playing it. It is the only game I have ever played for more than 10 years and there will never be a substitute to fully replace it.

Brood War Forever.


This gave me chill bumps. I joined TL in 2002 and told all my friends that there was a video game that had pro's making huge salary. I barely make a post a month since then. But i enjoy pro BW so much im a sponge for information and this place has gave me water =)
intotheheart
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Canada33091 Posts
September 02 2011 11:44 GMT
#83
FBH ceremonies.
kiss kiss fall in love
endy
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Switzerland8970 Posts
September 02 2011 11:46 GMT
#84
If you don't know much about BW, but you're curious about it, and you're wondering why we're all saying there is nothing more awesome than BW, do watch Nanashin's stream now.

Terran vs Zerg OSL Semi finals live

http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/nanashin

Not advertising or anything, but I know that many SC2 players are reading BW forums, and the game that was just played was just too sick to not share it <3
ॐ
Miwyfe
Profile Joined September 2010
England101 Posts
September 02 2011 12:00 GMT
#85
While I do enjoy the stories of the pro teams, it is the constant pursuit of Strategical perfection that really hooks me.
Matchups evolve over time as they develop and as maps rotate. I love trying to trace the ever changing perfect strategy as it mutates, watching which players are the true innovators and charting the fluid process of it all.

There is simply no other game or sport where players are given completely different tools to work with and yet the game is still balanced. There is no substitute.
blubbdavid
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Switzerland2412 Posts
September 02 2011 12:25 GMT
#86
On September 02 2011 20:46 endy wrote:
If you don't know much about BW, but you're curious about it, and you're wondering why we're all saying there is nothing more awesome than BW, do watch Nanashin's stream now.

Terran vs Zerg OSL Semi finals live

http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/nanashin

Not advertising or anything, but I know that many SC2 players are reading BW forums, and the game that was just played was just too sick to not share it <3

Wow, thx man dude, I almost forgot that they play today. ( I got a defeatist attitude of not being able to watch live because of time zones, so I don't care about Game dates.) Thx again dude.
What do you desire? Money? Glory? Power? Revenge? Or something that surpasses all other? Whatever you desire - that is here. Tower of God ¦¦Nutella, drink of the Gods
Holy Check
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Romania155 Posts
September 02 2011 12:37 GMT
#87
I love Broodwar because it's entertaining. It's like a TV series that never sucks. It's got action, drama, trashtalk, slumps, epic comebacks, Boxer, more epic comebacks, victory, defeat, tears, fans, fanboys and mindless korean shouting.
KameZerg
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Sweden1776 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-02 12:54:06
September 02 2011 12:52 GMT
#88
Starcraft made me really fall in love with the competitive gaming scene. No other game has ever had that effect on me.
asdasdasdasdasd123123123
Ciryandor
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States3735 Posts
September 02 2011 12:54 GMT
#89
BW is all about mechanics few people can ever reach. Just seeing people pull off such incredible things is enough to see.
에일리 and 아이유 <3 - O Captain 박재혁 ・゚✧*:・*゚+..。✧・゚:*・..。 ✧・゚ :・゚* ゜・*:・ ✧・゚:・゚:.。 ✧・゚ SPARKULING ・゜・:・゚✧*:・゚✧。*゚+..。 ✧・゚: ✧・゚:*・゜・:・゚✧*::
bubO
Profile Joined August 2010
United States367 Posts
September 02 2011 12:59 GMT
#90
Broodwar saved me from being a ghetto kid xD
Protoss...
villageidiot
Profile Joined May 2009
353 Posts
September 02 2011 13:04 GMT
#91
BW love deserves a spotlight.
Good night sour prince. You won't be missed!
HaXXspetten
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Sweden15718 Posts
September 02 2011 13:15 GMT
#92
For me, Brood War is... well it's... there are no words for it. I guess that's the best compliment of all.
Outsited
Profile Joined April 2011
United States189 Posts
September 02 2011 13:17 GMT
#93
i like watching BW because play styles have matured. Games also seem to go longer than SC2 games. After just watching the OSL RO8 i was on the tip of my seat watching with anticipation. Much more that and GSL i've watched. Not to say i don't enjoy watching SC2, theres just a very big soft spot for BW in my heart.
Something on your mind ?
Memnon
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada37 Posts
September 02 2011 13:20 GMT
#94
I love Brood War because of the people who play it. It takes a special kind of person to play Brood War, someone who can appreciate this game. Someone who will look past the "inferior" graphics, the buggy units, the fact that it is SO old that (for example) the entire Halo series was released in the intervening time. Someone who will play this game for more than the few hours, days, or sometimes weeks that encompass the playtime of most modern games. Someone who can ignore the frustration of losing 90% (low estimate ) of their games, who has the will to improve, who will try to understand the game instead of just trying to beat people within their skill level.

There is the uneducated noob, who will bash away at his friends and fellow noobs in blissful ignorance, who could go on quite peacefully for years. Unless he faces a player so much better than him that he wonders, "How can someone be that much better than me?" And if he is one of the people described above, he develops a thirst for knowledge, to understand the game. And becomes...

The D/D- noob. This person scrambles around, looking for build orders and whatnot, until they are finally educated and settle into playing the game as they have never before. They suddenly realize just how much more this game really is.

Then they become a competitive player. Their skills improve as they play, and they force themselves to go on, shrugging off the countless defeats, and every win is sweet, because they have earned it, through their sweat and determination and effort. And thus they continue, loving the game because of the feeling they get when they win, not minding that they still lose a lot, and knowing that there will always be someone better than they are, but going on nonetheless.

Of course, there is always the chance of them falling by the wayside and becoming a sort of casual-competitive mix. This is the kind of person that thrives on ~NoHunters FFAs, where people use their wits, diplomacy, and nearly everything in the game to beat down 7 opponents.

And then there are the progamers. How can you not love the progamers. I don't even know what to say. The macro, the micro, the multitasking, the dedication...they're just awe-inspiring. JangBi's storms, Jaedong's mutalisks, Bisu's probes, Fantasy's vultures, Snow's 72 kill reaver, Flash's everything. And that's just the players we have today. There is 10 or more years back, with so much more.

I entered the world of multiplayer Brood War in spring 2009, to my great regret (once I found out just how long I could have been here). I soon after joined a community of Starcraft players, a bit on the smaller side, but that only made us closer. Here I got to see first hand most of the groups of people that play Brood War, and the rest I saw through the eyes of commentators.

Brood War is just so amazing. May it continue on, as long as possible.
Retgery
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada1229 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-02 13:52:57
September 02 2011 13:52 GMT
#95
I love Brood War because, it's not just some game that people play. It's a sport and event that thousands of people love all around the world. On Brood War we're not just players in a clan, or in a chat room. We're a community, a group of people that talk discuss, live and breath this incredible event.
Everyone who has played Brood War has know what it's like to, lose in a humiliating fashion, feel like throwing your computer out a window, or starting a balance whine thread here on TL. And everyone knows what it's like to have that feeling of self awe and gratitude after winning, because when you win it's not because you had the better race or, bought some gear in an online cash shop, you won because you were better than the other person, and that's what makes this better than some shitty console game.
I'm one of those kids who found Brood War thanks to Starcraft 2, and I'm grateful for it. Brood War was the first time I had ever fell in love with something so quickly. It was the first time I screamed because my favourite player lost in an epic best of 7. It was the first time I woke up at 5am just to watch something that I loved. It was the first time I had developed a man crush. (thanks a lot "Nada's Body") It was the first time I felt like I in the right place, somewhere I belonged.
I'm grateful for everyone player in Korea and lurker on TL, and everyone around the world who just loves Starcraft like me. That's why I love Brood War.
Fall down 7 times, stand up 8.
stork4ever
Profile Joined April 2010
United States1036 Posts
September 02 2011 13:58 GMT
#96
I like watching PL games at 3 am and the stream suddenly crashes...I know Bisu is on next!!
XsebT
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Denmark2980 Posts
September 02 2011 14:41 GMT
#97
Never has a loss felt so bad, never has a win felt so satisfying.
화이팅
Kanil
Profile Joined April 2010
United States1713 Posts
September 02 2011 14:46 GMT
#98
I love Brood War because...

NaDa's Body.

Nothing more needs to be said, I win the thread, put it in the OP and lock this, we're done here.

I kid, I kid.

I love Brood War because it's the game I grew up with. I've spent so many hours playing countless games, meeting people and making friends. I've met some people on battle.net a decade ago that are still dear friends to me today, just because of StarCraft. At some point the people, the experiences, and the memories transform StarCraft from just a game to an important part of who you are as a person. I've long since reached that point, and I love Brood War because it's a part of me now.

But, really. NaDa's Body.
I used to have an Oz icon over here ---->
VGhost
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States3621 Posts
September 02 2011 14:48 GMT
#99
When I think "Brood War"... well, there is my terrible self, with bad micro and worse macro and no dedication, nothing but a "love" of the game, if you can call anything without absolute commitment love. Even the terrible player I am can wake up and do something spectacular: I've won FFAs with better players. I've beaten Koreans 1v2 (it was 2002 and they double drone-rushed, but still!).

But then, there are the pros. In their world my personal "spectacular" would be bad play even for (P)Rock. But that dedication and talent produces a level of transcendence that can't be properly described, moments that remain impressed on your mind forever. The perfect rush. The beautiful game. Rock solid endurance.

I love Brood War because its difficulty brings us moments when mere humans can do what seems impossible. Because, win or lose, the game is a challenge, and for all the terrible failures which happen when we try something hard, in the end any great challenge produces beauty. And when a challenge is successfully overcome, the act produces a hero, and the act of overcoming that challenge, joy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzDGNBKplVw
#4427 || I am not going to scan a ferret.
Djelsomino
Profile Joined August 2010
Russian Federation1 Post
September 02 2011 15:07 GMT
#100
I love Brood War because...scouts DDADADADADADADA and DRADADADADADA.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14 15 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 2
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 610
UpATreeSC 134
JuggernautJason11
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 21421
firebathero 200
Rush 136
Dewaltoss 57
Sexy 28
Trap 20
Bale 16
Shine 15
yabsab 10
Djem5 5
Dota 2
Gorgc7665
qojqva1630
420jenkins149
monkeys_forever59
Counter-Strike
fl0m1545
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1931
crisheroes1133
Liquid`Hasu671
XaKoH 161
MindelVK14
Other Games
Grubby2539
Beastyqt764
ceh9761
FrodaN726
ArmadaUGS193
KnowMe153
Hui .148
byalli144
C9.Mang0133
QueenE106
Trikslyr71
Mew2King55
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV192
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream74
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 10
• Reevou 7
• intothetv
• Migwel
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• IndyKCrew
• Kozan
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 31
• 80smullet 14
• FirePhoenix11
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• Nemesis2288
League of Legends
• TFBlade1186
Other Games
• imaqtpie835
• Shiphtur259
• WagamamaTV247
Upcoming Events
OSC
5h 37m
Stellar Fest
18h 37m
OSC
1d 3h
CranKy Ducklings
1d 15h
Online Event
1d 16h
FEL
1d 21h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 22h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.