• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:03
CEST 11:03
KST 18:03
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)54Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7933 users

Why We Love Brood War - Page 3

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 13 14 15 Next All
TwoToneTerran
Profile Joined March 2009
United States8841 Posts
September 02 2011 06:30 GMT
#41
Because it's the best game, otherwise I wouldn't watch it more than the other games. Pretty simple, really.
Remember Violet.
flamewheel
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
FREEAGLELAND26782 Posts
September 02 2011 06:34 GMT
#42
Brood War was the first game I ever played. It is one of the few games I have cared enough about to play on a steady basis. It is one of four games that I've cared enough about to watch "professional" matches. It is one of three games that I've cared enough about to learn about the intricacies and professional scene. It is one of two games that I've cared enough about to watch commentaries of matches. It is the only game that I've cared enough about to write about, to dedicate thousands of hours in the span of a few years.

Failing to wake up for AP tests, making new friends, bettering my faltering English skills, killing time--Brood War has been there. It will always be there.
Writerdamn, i was two days from retirement
masterbreti
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Korea (South)2711 Posts
September 02 2011 06:53 GMT
#43
I love brood war. Well because its Brood war. There is nothing like this on the planet. We have such a uniqe qorld here in which we see the rise and falls of not only players in the game during a match. But in real life.

We see the rise of legends such as BoxeR, Nal_Ra, NaDa, and others. We also see the downfall of players like go.go, and SaviOur.

We have seen a culture form around this game that has almost created esports itself. How often can a single game say that. Only one and only one ever will have this honor. That is Brood War.
Menzies
Profile Joined February 2011
New Zealand129 Posts
September 02 2011 07:05 GMT
#44
In every game-whether it is an Ace Match for the honour and glory to be crowned Proleague champions, or if it is just another minor offline preliminary game that isn't even broadcasted, you can see, feel and taste the endless hours of hard work and dedication that the progamers have practiced and sweated for that game. No matter what, their passion is always there, and plus the devotion and support of the fans will always keep Professional BW scene in my heart till the day I die.
Never ever ever give up. Impossible is nothing
hmmm...
Profile Joined March 2011
632 Posts
September 02 2011 07:06 GMT
#45
the passion with which the game was created on and still revolves around,

the depth of the game which allows it to reward talent and practice,

which subsequently allows for historic, epic story lines to emerge (iloveoov surpassing his master, rise and fall of savior, etc.)

the pure effort that people of all levels in the bw esports scene (players, commentators, esports new reporters, cameramen, program director, music director, screen writer, etc.) puts in,

gosh there is so much more but i don't think i can really put them into words. broodwar is a very beautiful game, even more beautiful when taking into account what goes on behind the scenes in order to be able to present the final product which is what we the audience get to see on live broadcast. of course, all of this is possible because at the very basic level, the game itself is incredibly sophisticated and amazing.
Falling
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Canada11607 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-02 07:27:28
September 02 2011 07:11 GMT
#46
My first love of BW is simply LAN parties. It was my first multiplayer RTS that I played- all others I played singleplayer or else I played hotseat strategy games. But from compstomps to later 2v2v1's or 3v4's those Nerd Nights, were just so awesom.

And what I particularly enjoyed about BW was how different the races played and yet how balance they were. In addition, I loved how much the effectiveness of my armies scaled based on my level of control (storming templars, reaver and dragoon micro, statis and recalling arbiters, etc.)

And they I was introduced to the proleagues and my mind was blown. The level of control that players had over their units while macroing like boss inspired me. And although Savior fans hated him, I found Bisu's multitasking harassment so crazy.

And then as I moved on to iCCup from compstoming, I just loved how the endless things one could do to improve. I started practicing hotkeys as browsed the internet (I now find my hotkeys are decent, but my mouse control is terrible.) I don't know, there's just so much I like about BW. But it's the LAN parties that I most enjoy.

Edit)
Oh yes, and to really butter up the OP... I have to say, when we have smaller LAN nights, one of our favourite UMS maps to pull out is:Tandem StarCraft (That and BW Risk) So much fun.
ModeratorWake me up when Trump's term is finished. Slava Ukraini.
TheNessman
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States4158 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-02 07:30:32
September 02 2011 07:11 GMT
#47
Hahhahahah

I love bw

Hell yes.

My biggest thing that I love about broodwar is the people it creates. These are the some of the most impressive athletes on the planet imo. They have a burning desire that could engulf my entire being. They have so much passion, and they pour their lives into this game. It is amazing watching Flash JAEDONG hold a gold medal over his head, and look into the thousands of fans and know that he is an amazing person. Someone who has what it takes to even be a professional has an amazing strength, power, ability, talent, perseverance, DEDICATION. the ability to completely place themselves into their motions and so perfectly control everything, that they become true champions. Brood war is such an interesting and engaging game and i love it.

Also, i want to give a shoutout to Klazart's commentaries. He was a really good caster.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=firebathero savior&aq=f

I also love all of everyone else's reasons ><

and GO OZ
~~! youtube.com/xmungam1 !~~
NeWeNiyaLord
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Norway2474 Posts
September 02 2011 07:18 GMT
#48
I love Brood war because when I was 11 and the game hit the shells, all I could think about was to play with my friends vs the computer. took me awhile to actually get the game because my parents wasn't sure wether or not it was to scary for me. I got to play it when I cought my dad playing it after my bedtime with a microphone talking to his friend. Then i got so mad he could'nt say no. After that my life formed after the life of a progamer. there was a period where I played 8-9 hours a day, vs the computer. Thought that would make me as good as BoxeR. Unfortunately, it didnt.
Still remember the hype I felt when I was going to watch some Fpvod just released, or a game of Wcg where Koreans would own everyone.
You cant beat the feeling when someone you are a huge fan of either wins or looses and after he/she wins/looses gets very upset, and you feel the same way.
After all theese years, its sad to see the teams i've been following for years, disbands..

En Taro Brood war!
This is where we begin. Show your true self, Battosai.
bgx
Profile Joined August 2010
Poland6595 Posts
September 02 2011 07:22 GMT
#49
Because it is a game made with incalculable passion that took Korean hearts as well as our own.
Stork[gm]
puppykiller
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States3137 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-02 07:36:44
September 02 2011 07:34 GMT
#50
pushing the hotkeys feels right. My hand feels wrong when its off the keyboard.
Why would I play sctoo when I can play BW?
HeadhunteR
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Argentina1258 Posts
September 02 2011 07:39 GMT
#51
Im fucking proud at this. The love for BW is hard to explain but these words help. LONG LIVE BW best RTS ever period.
in The Kong line forever
endy
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Switzerland8970 Posts
September 02 2011 07:40 GMT
#52
On September 02 2011 16:34 puppykiller wrote:
pushing the hotkeys feels right. My hand feels wrong when its off the keyboard.


Haha just a few hours ago, I was with my customer's finance director, and while the report I wanted to show him was loading, I caught myself franticly typing 1a2a3a4a5a. Of course I had selected an Excel cell so it all appeared on the screen.
ॐ
TheAmazombie
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States3714 Posts
September 02 2011 07:42 GMT
#53
Ha! This post is full of some much win. Thanks!
We think too much and feel too little. More than machinery, we need humanity. More than cleverness, we need kindness and gentleness. Without these qualities, life will be violent and all will be lost. -Charlie Chaplin
ReketSomething
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States6012 Posts
September 02 2011 07:44 GMT
#54
I love BW because it's the best game.
Jaedong :3
ins(out)side
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
220 Posts
September 02 2011 07:55 GMT
#55
Any game that is so well loved by multiple cultures and brings people from those cultures together is an incredible thing. Aside from providing one of the most competitive games on the planet, like so many other profound games, the lessons of Starcraft can apply to the lessons of life.

Although my skills in BW were limited to Reaver Recalls, Mass Carrier/Scout/Dragoon/Hydra and other unit spamming builds I still had some of the best nights of my life playing friends literally all night long on our 56 K modems. Oh yeah, I did DT and lurker drops too =)

1998 was a great year for multi-player video games that totally changed the direction of modern gaming by allowing people to play each other and even do so without having to be in the same room. Before that you needed a shitload of quarters and a ride to a seedy arcade where older players lurked like pool sharks

Even though SC2 is much more my speed and I'm Plat, I aspire to be at least Masters some day and they joy I get from those things wouldn't exist without SC1. My 2nd RTS after Warcraft 2....those were the days!
saltywet
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Hong Kong1316 Posts
September 02 2011 07:56 GMT
#56
FOR ADUN!!!!
Rodiel3
Profile Joined March 2011
France1158 Posts
September 02 2011 08:09 GMT
#57
I love watching pro SCBW because I know how they feel and how its hard about playing all those units, expand everywhere, defend those expand, always be aggressiv, and all those stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/user/rodiel3 SCBW FPVOD
Kashll
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States1117 Posts
September 02 2011 08:11 GMT
#58
Broodwar is playing a long tough game against someone who doesn't speak the same language as me. It is feeling a closer connection to them and more communication through a simple "ggyo" than I do with many people that speak the same language as me.

It is spending countless hours and mental energy training, and winning and losing against players who have invested the same time and mental energy.

It is frustration, elation, satisfaction, dejection, and underneath it all a mutual respect for those I compete against.
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
Game
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
3191 Posts
September 02 2011 08:14 GMT
#59
I'm going to need a couple of days to really write a proper "Why I love BroodWar" response. But after reading this thread, I have indeed been inspired to do so. Expect a 5 page long essay via spoiler soon.
SC is like sex. You should play often, but never too hard. And you should only try hard when it matters.
LayZRR
Profile Joined February 2011
Germany449 Posts
September 02 2011 08:22 GMT
#60
I like BroodWar cause it runs on every PC. Thats very important for an Esport-Title in my opinion.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 13 14 15 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 57m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
firebathero 1261
Hyuk 463
Bisu 210
Dewaltoss 92
Leta 82
Larva 64
Killer 57
soO 42
EffOrt 40
Yoon 39
[ Show more ]
Sharp 38
ZerO 36
Soma 33
Aegong 31
ToSsGirL 30
Bale 24
Hm[arnc] 16
Sacsri 10
JulyZerg 8
Light 1
Terrorterran 0
Dota 2
Fuzer 129
League of Legends
JimRising 439
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss964
byalli625
kRYSTAL_27
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor914
crisheroes250
Other Games
summit1g9247
gofns4367
singsing1380
olofmeister921
ceh9661
Mew2King90
ArmadaUGS45
ZerO(Twitch)6
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream149
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2384
League of Legends
• Rush1106
• Stunt471
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
3h 57m
OSC
12h 57m
CranKy Ducklings
1d
Online Event
1d 1h
FEL
1d 6h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 7h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 9h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.