• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:24
CEST 20:24
KST 03:24
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)48Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9819 users

Why We Love Brood War - Page 14

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 12 13 14 15 Next All
vOdToasT
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Sweden2870 Posts
August 03 2012 00:58 GMT
#261
I will not quit StarCraft because the korean scene is gone. I will attempt to master the game, and when I have learned programming I will host money tournaments.

This game is too good to let die. If it dies, I will fight until the end.
If it's stupid but it works, then it's not stupid* (*Or: You are stupid for losing to it, and gotta git gud)
Shock710
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Australia6097 Posts
August 03 2012 01:13 GMT
#262
Because its what makes me happy, if i ask a girl out and she rejects me i go home and play starcraft and after i feel fine, if i fail an exam i go home and play starcraft and i'm okay. I love it sooo much, nothing puts me to sleep happier than know my favorite player won today, the feeling and emotions i go through when i watch a game makes me feel so alive and so happy to be human and able to enjoy this, nothing makes me feel prouder than when i pull of a build and crush someone =D nothing gives me more motivation than losing horribly and knowing i need to improve. Broodwar is my love and always will be
dAPhREAk gives Shock a * | [23:55] <Shock710> that was out of context -_- [16:26] <@motbob> Good question, Shock!
Essbee
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
Canada2371 Posts
August 03 2012 02:43 GMT
#263
On August 03 2012 10:13 Shock710 wrote:
Because its what makes me happy, if i ask a girl out and she rejects me i go home and play starcraft and after i feel fine, if i fail an exam i go home and play starcraft and i'm okay. I love it sooo much, nothing puts me to sleep happier than know my favorite player won today, the feeling and emotions i go through when i watch a game makes me feel so alive and so happy to be human and able to enjoy this, nothing makes me feel prouder than when i pull of a build and crush someone =D nothing gives me more motivation than losing horribly and knowing i need to improve. Broodwar is my love and always will be


That's exactly how I feel about Brood War. Why? The unit design is perfect and unique. The units are SO much fun to control. Also the music. Also the simple graphics. ...hell everything about BW is just fantastic imo, except maybe the hosting on bnet
arb
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
Noobville17922 Posts
August 03 2012 02:48 GMT
#264
I'll put it straight up

I love Brood War because it's the best Goddamn game ever made.
Artillery spawned from the forges of Hell
FraCuS
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States1072 Posts
August 03 2012 02:53 GMT
#265
On August 03 2012 09:58 vOdToasT wrote:
I will not quit StarCraft because the korean scene is gone. I will attempt to master the game, and when I have learned programming I will host money tournaments.

This game is too good to let die. If it dies, I will fight until the end.



Totally agree with this!
Apink/Girl's Day/miss A/IU/Crayon Pop/Sistar/Exo K :D l Kpop and Kdrama Enthusiast
Tru_m4n
Profile Joined September 2009
162 Posts
August 03 2012 03:44 GMT
#266
Reading this thread, it's just... sad.

I don't really know where to start, but the reasons why I love Starcraft have to be the players I've learned to appreciate through the years, those crazy games and tournament finals, sick OSL/MSL opening videos, screaming korean commentators (and fan girls), Tasteless and Super Daniel Man, as well as those hilarious TV shows with Nal_rA and Hyungjoon... These things, and many more, are the reasons why I love Starcraft.

I began to follow Starcraft during the GomTV Classic tournaments hosted by Tasteless and Susie/Daniel. I had played the game for a couple years already with my friends but watching professional players was something different. These tournaments along with some Boxer compilation videos on Youtube were my introduction to professional Starcraft, and I don't think I could've had a much better introduction, I was caught immediately.

Over these years I have seen players rise to glory and/or fall into the shadows, and it saddens me that I won't be able to experience any more of this after Brood War is gone. I don't want the game to disappear, but it seems inevitable now. The game may not live forever but I know that all the memories that Brood War have given me will never go away.
"Member of Hyuk Hyuk Hyuk Cafe! He's the next Jaedong, baby!"
Marshall_D
Profile Joined November 2008
United States196 Posts
August 03 2012 03:45 GMT
#267
holy... little azn girl so cute. i remember that one lulz
DyEnasTy
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States3720 Posts
August 03 2012 05:10 GMT
#268
On August 03 2012 09:58 vOdToasT wrote:
I will not quit StarCraft because the korean scene is gone. I will attempt to master the game, and when I have learned programming I will host money tournaments.

This game is too good to let die. If it dies, I will fight until the end.



*havent played on iccup in years*
*reads posts about loving BW*
*tears forms in eyes, thoughts of epic victories and humiliating defeats fill every corner of mind*
*walks to closet and stands staring into the deepest corner, then pulls out shoe box with thick dust covering it*
*slowly opens box, containing a small worn out cloth wrapped around an squarish object*
*unwraps cloth slowly, careful not to break the ancient fabric*
*revealing*

*white microsoft PS/2 mouse*


"Im not too old.... I... can... do... this"


Bring it on. Time to play some BW.
Much better to die an awesome Terran than to live as a magic wielding fairy or a mindless sac of biological goop. -Manifesto7
Phoobie
Profile Joined December 2010
Canada120 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-04 03:03:28
August 04 2012 03:01 GMT
#269
I love Brood War because you truly see and appreciate the mastery of the game.

My friend introduced Starcraft to me around the time I started high school, and while other kids moved on to other games I stuck with starcraft and slowely discovered the pro scene and fell in love.

I'm not a skilled player, I play at a platinum level of SC2 if that's any indication, I don't put in the hours to practice and play because I spend so much time following the pro scene.

When I see a Zerg player move a maxed army of lings, ultras and lurkers like it's on 1 control group I say "DAMN!!!", when I saw Boxer pull off a 3 prong attack with simultaneous micro for the win my jaw dropped, When I saw Jangbi storm a screen of terran mech I screamed as loud as the girls in the crowd did.

To see mastery of such epic, difficult and volatile gameplay is simply beauty.

"Immortal Roach is pretty good against stalkers" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
HighTemper
Profile Joined April 2011
Canada3867 Posts
August 04 2012 05:12 GMT
#270
I love BW because...

1) Perfect Races
The design of the races are simply perfect. The feel of the marching marines and tanks through the battle field with pride; swarm fear to opposition in sauron masses; and bring destruction with mighty creations and psionic power. Combined with unique unit interactions, sounds and music, the gameplay experience is unbeatable.

Each race has their own imbalances. 1000 dmg in 1 psi-storm! 2000 shield off 1 EMP!! 3000 dmg with 1 plague!!!
But the races are perfectly balanced.

2) Perfect Harmony between Strategy/Mechanic/Metagame/Environment
One cannot win with mere strategy and tactics; one cannot just win with 600 APM; one cannot win by only knowing the trend or the opponent; and one cannot win without competitive environment, team practice, sponsors, and the infrastrutures to make everything possible. Take any great player and you can find a unique combination for their success.

And the graphic is harmonious to this genre: simple, distinguishable, and pixel-perfect (perfectly aligned tank lines anyone?).

3) Perfect Scene/Community
The development of the scene and community is god-send. Who would have thought at the early stage of BW a mere game can be televised and watched by millions? The players, commentators, and community are extraordinary because there is something above money, something above the basics needs, something about the love of the game, the hardship and dedications to create such a beautiful scene. It is so lively and glorious yet filled with stories of tears and sweat. And the community, we are intelligent individuals from all over the world with different background, but we have one thing in common:

Because We love BW.
"Issue the orders Sir [JangBi], and I will storm Hell." - Anthony Wayne
syst
Profile Blog Joined March 2003
United States247 Posts
August 04 2012 05:25 GMT
#271
I love it simply because the game is amazing. I enjoy the proscene but I never followed it in a hardcore way, knowing stats or even watching regular season games.

I've played a lot of Starcraft. Played kbk, gamei, wgtour, pgtour, iccup. I was terrible the whole time (c- at best on iccup) but the game is simply perfect I couldn't stop playing. I couldn't play it for shit but I love the feeling of finishing an amazing macro ZvT, multitasking my heart out. Even at noob levels the game was intense and difficult. I liked going to my local PC room and having kids be dumbfounded by the speed at which even noobs like me play the game and how untouchable I was by the average random player.

It's understood that RTS games are about area and resource control, BW, War3 and SC2 all have this feature. No other game matches the pace and size of a Brood War game.
Sawamura
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Malaysia7602 Posts
August 04 2012 05:51 GMT
#272
I have never met a game as complicated as broodwar and that I mean in terms of the need to use your brain to create strategy on the fly and to manually create soldiers all depending on how fast you were in selecting your building or hotkeys however that doesn't mean you can win all engagements just because you are good at macroing . Players who have 1/2 the amount of the armies you have would divide your superior army in to smaller pockets of army and destroy what was once a big army .

Playing broodwar was the best thing I ever decided to do and I will remember all the times and failure and glory I experience through out my broodwar days .
BW/KT Forever R.I.P KT.Violet dearly missed ..
Jaaaaasper
Profile Blog Joined April 2012
United States10225 Posts
August 04 2012 06:08 GMT
#273
I love bw because its the one thing i miss now that i can't play games at a competitive level. W3, meh, cs 1.6 :/, smash brothers ahh well, halo no big deal, but the inability to be anywhere near my old level at bw brings me far closer to tears than i want to admit.
I miss playing bw far more than i should, but every time i try to get back in, and lose the campaign early on, i just can't bring myself to keep trying knowing i wont be as good. I can accept being bad at sc2 and lol and console games, but sucking at bw and knowing i cant get all that good again hurts.
Hey do you want to hear a joke? Chinese production value. | I thought he had a aegis- Ayesee | When did 7ing mad last have a good game, 2012?
Monsyphon
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Canada190 Posts
August 04 2012 06:31 GMT
#274
I love Brood War because it will never die.
Everyone always says to move on from the past but this game isn't in the past. It is in our present, and if we let it, it will be our future.
Lucrolio
Profile Joined February 2012
United States1 Post
August 04 2012 06:49 GMT
#275
Just like many i started the original sc when i was young, even before i realized what the name of name of the game was or even what the hell i was doing in this (particularly fun game)

I love Brood War because of the emotional attachment that I've come to appreciate as ive grown up and made new friends online (while keeping the ones offline :D). Its always been "that epic game" my friends and i would pour hours and hours of time into to have fun. Making "great walls of cannon" and "carriers up the wazoo" along with other cheesy stuff defined having fun while losing imo.

It was a game that let you have fun, however you chose to play it... hardcoretryhard, casual, or just straightup inbetween. imo this is what i feel like a lot (not all) of the games these days lack. Im totally just trying to keep myself up for these last couple of hours for this last matchup! ^_^ v
*lurklurklurk*
bITt.mAN
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Switzerland3700 Posts
August 04 2012 07:38 GMT
#276
I love Pro Brood War because it is SO good. Beyond the perfect ballance, beyond the great strategies and mind-games,beyond the very game itself, there were always the players. Though most of them would never achieve much or rise to much fame, they always had a face (if you worked enough at it) they were never just faceless Koreans. They were people, with personalities and drama, and I loved living alongside that. Oh how BW has tought me SO much about a completely different (Korean) world, and made me love it so passioinately, I don't think any sport could compare.

But not only the Pros, but you guys too. Though the fun was sometimes slow, and even more so recently, when we had it, it was worth it. I love feeling part of a community of people who are as passionate about the game as I am, who were also my gateway in understanding so much more than just the game's strategies. I loved you guys not for all being stellar, but because YOU WERE ALWAYS THERE, and you'll never know how much that mattered to me, but thanks guys, it was great.
And it still can be if we reinstate Racewars Everyday! keke
BW4LYF . . . . . . PM me, I LOVE PMs. . . . . . Long live "NaDa's Body" . . . . . . Fantasy | Bisu/Best | Jaedong . . . . .
Thorin
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
601 Posts
August 04 2012 08:46 GMT
#277
This seems like a good place to leave my response to the topic of best matchup in BW:

Ultimately though, TBH, even though Protoss has always been my favourite race, I've always enjoyed TvZ amongst elite level players more than any other matchup as a spectator.

While some of those Flash vs. Jaedong finals were much maligned, due to people having the sense in the latter ones that JD was doomed to lose, I think every one of them manage to produce at least one incredible macro epic game, interestingly usually won by Jaedong.

The way the game transitions from one race having to hold, seemingly in peril, into his window to try and take over, has always been a very thrilling back-and-forth for me to watch. You knew Jaedong's impossibly good mutas would be on their way and Flash was going to try and hold with the absolute minimum. Suddenly it was life-or-death as to whether he could catch them out in the field unexpectedly with his marines or whether he'd find himself one turret or one second short at his nat, getting picked off before he had a chance to reap the benefits of his econ greed.

Then if he held the mutas suddenly he had his choice of strange timing windows in which to attempt a veiled timing attack, as JD rushed to more bases and the amount of gas a Zerg needs vs. the best Terran of all time in a macro game. Then, if the Terran goes MnM you get the exciting moments of clutch defiler play as the Zerg barely holds onto bases about to be overrun, laying down dark swarms yet trying to dodge the inevitable irradiation. Each race has his moment when he can blow his macro load with drops, but will the other spot it in time?

I think honestly high level TvZ has it all: the drops and counter-drops, the last second dark swarm holds, the chess game of how much and at what time you need turrents/marines to survive the mutas you know could be coming, the way science vessels seem imba while they're rubbing out the guy's drones and irradiating his best units, yet suddenly seem so fragile when scourage appear on the screen next to them out of nowhere. The probing T attacks which either find the Z without enough sunken colonies, or forced to give up a little advantage and find himself a little behind when the attack pulls back and heads elsewhere.
Xiphias
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Norway2223 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-27 17:25:29
September 27 2012 17:24 GMT
#278
Wow .... I read through the first 7-8 pages and this last page.

I been feeling depressed latly and not knowing why.... I think I know why now. I cannot play BW anymore. And MSL is gone. And OSL is gone (at least for BW). My parents would not let me play much, and not on the family computer which had internett. That was 12 years ago. I remember logging on every time they were gone and play. I remember beating everyone at LAN's because I could produce endless steams of hydralisk. I remember learning about the pro-scene. Watching Boxer's increible 1-base plays. I remember aweing at TvT on lost temple when the two players (one of them was Boxer) spilt the map in two in less than 15 minutes. I remeber the yearning to play more than I could at the moment. I finelly found iccup when I had a place for myself 4 years ago. I remember getting C- once. Only once. I think I know why I feel depressed. A huge part of my life is gone. I have to move on. I do not have much time for playing BW anymore, and SC2 made me forget all by BO's anyway, and now it's just frustrating to play without the time to relearn everything.

And now the pro-scene is gone too. Watching flash play SC2 IS NOT THE SAME.... (although it is not soo bad...). Thanks you for all your inspirational posts. Tears are rolling down my cheack is I post this. May BW never be forgotten.
aka KanBan85. Working on Starbow.
SilSol
Profile Joined April 2012
Sweden2744 Posts
September 27 2012 18:36 GMT
#279
I don't just love broodwar for the korean scene or matchs! I mostly love BW because of all the memories and how great the game is in general. Like everyone that has played this game for years and years must of had many great memories playing it with friends. I've got like 1000 of stories from my BW time that is amazing and hilarious and filled with drama. Like Starcraft will always be in my life no matter what i do. That's pretty much why i love this game.
http://fragbite.se/user/117868/silsol since 2006 http://www.reddit.com/u/silsol77
Sinedd
Profile Joined July 2008
Poland7052 Posts
September 27 2012 19:31 GMT
#280
On August 03 2012 11:48 arb wrote:
I'll put it straight up

I love Brood War because it's the best Goddamn game ever made.

this
T H C makes ppl happy
Prev 1 12 13 14 15 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 36m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 610
UpATreeSC 134
JuggernautJason11
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 21421
firebathero 200
Rush 136
Dewaltoss 57
Sexy 28
Trap 20
Bale 16
Shine 15
yabsab 10
Djem5 5
Dota 2
Gorgc7665
qojqva1630
420jenkins149
monkeys_forever59
Counter-Strike
fl0m1545
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1931
crisheroes1133
Liquid`Hasu671
XaKoH 161
MindelVK14
Other Games
Grubby2539
Beastyqt764
ceh9761
FrodaN726
ArmadaUGS193
KnowMe153
Hui .148
byalli144
C9.Mang0133
QueenE106
Trikslyr71
Mew2King55
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV192
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream74
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 10
• Reevou 7
• intothetv
• Migwel
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• IndyKCrew
• Kozan
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 31
• 80smullet 14
• FirePhoenix11
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• Nemesis2288
League of Legends
• TFBlade1186
Other Games
• imaqtpie835
• Shiphtur259
• WagamamaTV247
Upcoming Events
OSC
5h 36m
Stellar Fest
18h 36m
OSC
1d 3h
CranKy Ducklings
1d 15h
Online Event
1d 16h
FEL
1d 21h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 22h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.