• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:58
CEST 08:58
KST 15:58
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)54Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6627 users

Why We Love Brood War - Page 12

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All
myopia
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States2928 Posts
September 29 2011 02:49 GMT
#221
I blogged about my BW experience last year, I'll just requote it here. My UMS download link is dead by now though :|

+ Show Spoiler +
On October 23 2010 09:37 myopia wrote:
bad sentimental blog soundtrack
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuAGVr-O-3E


With Brood War's future uncertain, and many new people here having never played it, I want to share some small facet of its past. That portion from which I draw my Starcraft heritage.

I first played Brood War sometime around '99. I would've been 12-13 at the time. I leeched off my friends until ~2002, when my parents finally got us a computer/internet good enough to run the game. There were 6 of us, together all through grades 7-12. We'd sit at lunch, playing various face card games and talking play-by-plays of last night's BW session. We had a clan, Mystical Ninjas, on USWest. I can still remember my first bnet account: ProbeRusher[MyN] (yeah I got a few laughs from it). Most of us were awful. We ran a lot of BGH.

Watch this and perhaps you will understand,
The Greatest Cast of All Time
I've sat through it 10+ times.


For me, Day9 will never top this cast. THIS is the Brood War I know. I clocked a thousand games on this single map over the years. Our matches would often play out just like this cast. I was there: placing hatcheries in seemingly random places. 50 food 10 minutes in. Filling mid with cannons. Getting rushed and begging to be allied. My favorite strat was massing wraiths and ghosts. Why? Because they're COOL.

When we weren't dominating, or getting dominated, on BGH, we'd play UMS. I sifted through hundreds of maps (courtesy of renaka.com), looking for the cream of the crop. Here they are, for your downloading pleasure:

+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.mediafire.com/?wejy1j2na5p95c4

Archon Tag – In Color
Final Fantasy III
Magic TG Arena v.Enigma
Raccoon City[Beta1.099]
Resident Evil Open RPG
Test of Terran Perfect 1.0
X-Men RPG Insane Platinum 2


I won't go through a rundown here, just know they were worth my time. Give them a shot if you've got some friends who still play Brood War.

My buds and I, plus my brother and a cousin or two, played consistently up through 2005, then on and off for a few years after that. Win or lose, I've never had more fun from a video game. It was hilarious. It was awesome. It was the greatest game ever made.

“But myopia,” you say, “what about the koreans? And you haven't even mentioned ICCup!” Believe it or not, I had no concept of professional Starcraft until 2009. I remember, years back, hearing about BW themed parades in Seoul, but I brushed it off as asians being asians. I didn't know about ICCup. I found TL looking for information on SC2. The first SC match I ever watched live was Chill V Combat-EX-. Casted games opened up a whole new world. I caught my first pro games thanks to a tipoff from one of my internet music bros (shoutout to jon arbuckle). The strategies I'd never dreamt of, the huge crowds and screaming commentators, it's still a bit surreal to me.

What I'm trying to say here is Brood War had so much going for it as a game, that I loved it for completely different reasons than the hardcore crowd. I sunk a thousand hours of my youth knowing nothing of Boxer, hold lurkers and reaver-shuttle micro. Competition and improving my skills meant nothing to me, Starcraft was all about having a good time with people I knew.

We're all in our twenties now, in college or graduated with careers. At this point in our lives, the less we invest in video games, the better. I don't even have BW installed anymore; I can't play it without my friends. I've got a few of them added on SC2, but it's just not the same. BW occupied a certain time in my life and there's no going back. I don't hate SC2, it just came at a 'bad time' for me. I'll never feel the same way about it. I haven't watched any tournaments so far (though I always check for NonY's results because NonY is awesome). Still,

[image loading]
My forum tabs.


I keep an eye out for cool custom maps.

So here's to Brood War's past, a memorable part of my teenage years. And SC2's future, one that I may never have much of a part in. No hard feelings, Wings of Liberty. You're just not my Starcraft.

it's my first day
Sawamura
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Malaysia7602 Posts
September 29 2011 02:54 GMT
#222
On September 29 2011 11:46 DyEnasTy wrote:
isnt there a VOD thread (besides the small VOD thread) that exists? Im in urgent need to watch some BW. even better, Id really like to watch the Iris vs GGplay series!


feeling little nostalgic about previous msl games ? http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=260846 there you go watch it your heart contents XD.
BW/KT Forever R.I.P KT.Violet dearly missed ..
DyEnasTy
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States3720 Posts
September 29 2011 02:59 GMT
#223
On September 29 2011 11:54 Sawamura wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 29 2011 11:46 DyEnasTy wrote:
isnt there a VOD thread (besides the small VOD thread) that exists? Im in urgent need to watch some BW. even better, Id really like to watch the Iris vs GGplay series!


feeling little nostalgic about previous msl games ? http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=260846 there you go watch it your heart contents XD.


ahhhh yes!!!
Much better to die an awesome Terran than to live as a magic wielding fairy or a mindless sac of biological goop. -Manifesto7
SandwichApoc
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States115 Posts
September 29 2011 04:04 GMT
#224
Why do I love BroodWar? Because nothing brings friends together at 2am to watch live matches and complain/rant/rave/cheer/cry about our favorite players and those who happen to be playing.
Scaramanga
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Australia8093 Posts
September 29 2011 04:16 GMT
#225
the moments of pure ecstasy when you're favorite players pull off the impossible, the moments of intense joy when you're team comes from behind to clench victory, the heartbreak you feel when you see the player you're cheering for slip up and lose.
broodwar for me is a roller coaster of emotions every time i watch, something i just cannot get anywhere else. to see what these guys can pull off week after week is mind blowing and pushed me to try and recreate the builds, timings and class that seam almost impossible to achieve. alot of games and alot of viewing have passed and i still get the same satisfaction from watching and playing. that is why i love brood war.
Loda talked about the fun counter, it's AdmiralBulldog on his natures prophet
vx70GTOJudgexv
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States3161 Posts
September 29 2011 04:51 GMT
#226
On September 29 2011 11:46 DyEnasTy wrote:
isnt there a VOD thread (besides the small VOD thread) that exists? Im in urgent need to watch some BW. even better, Id really like to watch the Iris vs GGplay series!


You just became my least favorite poster ever.
(-_-) BW for ever. #1 Iris fan.
Ickalanda
Profile Joined November 2010
United States50 Posts
September 29 2011 05:12 GMT
#227
I love Brood War!

I mostly play StarCraft 2 now, but anytime I think of my childhood, it's thinking back to those 4+ hour gaming sessions with my friends and my younger brother, trying to see how many computers we could beat, and how many nukes we could launch simultaneously.

Brood War and Blizzard games in general have been a huge part of my life, and are where I have found most of my entertainment outside of regular world things.

StarCraft is timeless!
By the numbers boys!
Plaaguu
Profile Joined April 2009
United States406 Posts
September 29 2011 05:53 GMT
#228
I love BW becuase of the epic storylines. Legend of the Fall, Bisu 3-0ing SaviOr, EffOrt's comeback (although I was upset when it actually happened). The fact that these aren't even half of all the storylines speaks volumes about how storied and long lasting BW has been.

I remember the first series I watched was SkyHigh R-AKing Hwaseung Oz. I remember the drama of IdrA becoming the resident badboy of TL and how he was supposed to tear up TSL 2. I remember the first time I watched TL Attack's epside with Sea. I remember my first experience on iCCup, and how much I hated reavers.

I've had friends mock me for passionately watching StarCraft. I've been in arguments with friends for badmouting something I love so much.

Broodwar isn't just another game to me. BroodWar and TL have given me so many great memories, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

SoFool
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Malaysia96 Posts
September 29 2011 06:10 GMT
#229
To my love, Brood War

Do you remember how we first met? It was in a shopping mall, when my bro introduced you to me. We started hanging out, and had tons of fun. You would tell me the epic stories of the wars between the Terran, Protoss and Zerg, and I would listen to them like a child in awe.

Do you remember the LAN parties we had? You never said no and was always there with me with my friends, even if I went on a holiday break. You would wait for me patiently and never complained. And every free time I had, I would accompany you together in my room.

Do you remember how did we parted ways? I'm sorry if I hurt you, but I was really busy with my school work and life. But you didn't cry or gave me the middle finger, that we move on with our own lives.

Do you remember how did we met again in sclegacy.com? It was after I heard that you will have a lil sister soon, but when I saw you in that pimpest plays section, I fell deeply in love with you even more. How could be I such a fool to let you go? Heck, what was I thinking?

Do you remember how hard you were playing to get? I had to get beat down by your exes so hard, I got 2 gate, vulture harass, marine tank contain, stormed, dt'ed, fast wraith, all sort of things. There was a few times I wanted to give up, but I didn't...because I knew you are the perfect one for me.

After three long years, I grown up so much from your hard-to-get games. You thought me how to multitask, do a timing attack, dance and macro, develop my star sense and strike fear into my opponent's hearts from the shadows. But still in the end, I couldn't still win you back.

It was then when I heard the news, that you are sick. Doctors are slowly backing off because they couldn't find a cure, wtf is this? Some kind of a Korean drama? But I ignored it because I didn't want you to see me concerned, and continue to be best friends.

Your lil sister came along then, and to be honest she's isn't even half of a woman compared to you. But to be fair, she's so young and still have room for improvement. I also see a future with her, but with uncertainty.

But know this BW, I'll never forget all the great times we had and have through these 13 years. We have our ups and downs, I met new friends because of you too. And never forget the movies we watched together, like the "Terminator vs Aliens" series and when the Storm God broke his curse. Those were really great movies huh :'D

This friendship I will treasure, forever and ever, always. You're always the best love I ever had no matter what, remember that.
Find Humanity ... Assimilate ... Learn ... Evolve.
ragnasaur
Profile Blog Joined April 2006
United States804 Posts
September 29 2011 09:22 GMT
#230
I <3 broodwar because I've grown up playing it.
I <3 the complexity of every unique match.
I <3 watching pro games because I feel like im watching an epic battle of intelligent space aliens.
I <3 how balanced the entire game is.
I <3 the cutthroat reactions and decisions it forces players to make
I <3 the feeling of watching a BAMF like Nal_rA load a game
Ultimately I <3 the beautiful mosaic of a starcraft game
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) George Forman doesnt have any fingerprints
Sawamura
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Malaysia7602 Posts
September 29 2011 09:31 GMT
#231
On September 29 2011 18:22 ragnasaur wrote:
I <3 broodwar because I've grown up playing it.
I <3 the complexity of every unique match.
I <3 watching pro games because I feel like im watching an epic battle of intelligent space aliens.
I <3 how balanced the entire game is.
I <3 the cutthroat reactions and decisions it forces players to make
I <3 the feeling of watching a BAMF like Nal_rA load a game
Ultimately I <3 the beautiful mosaic of a starcraft game


Dude which world do you come from ? things at your world sounds fun.
BW/KT Forever R.I.P KT.Violet dearly missed ..
DyEnasTy
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States3720 Posts
September 29 2011 13:35 GMT
#232
On September 29 2011 13:51 vx70GTOJudgexv wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 29 2011 11:46 DyEnasTy wrote:
isnt there a VOD thread (besides the small VOD thread) that exists? Im in urgent need to watch some BW. even better, Id really like to watch the Iris vs GGplay series!


You just became my least favorite poster ever.



awww cmon dont be like that. You can point be to Iris vs GGplay? :p
Much better to die an awesome Terran than to live as a magic wielding fairy or a mindless sac of biological goop. -Manifesto7
Ikonn
Profile Joined October 2009
Netherlands1958 Posts
September 29 2011 14:23 GMT
#233
On September 29 2011 22:35 DyEnasTy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 29 2011 13:51 vx70GTOJudgexv wrote:
On September 29 2011 11:46 DyEnasTy wrote:
isnt there a VOD thread (besides the small VOD thread) that exists? Im in urgent need to watch some BW. even better, Id really like to watch the Iris vs GGplay series!


You just became my least favorite poster ever.



awww cmon dont be like that. You can point be to Iris vs GGplay? :p


First game:

+ Show Spoiler +


the other games are on the same channel
darksidemoon
Profile Joined May 2010
Korea (South)25 Posts
September 29 2011 17:41 GMT
#234
You love BW because because you don't know how to play sc2 ?
DyEnasTy
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States3720 Posts
September 29 2011 20:37 GMT
#235
On September 30 2011 02:41 darksidemoon wrote:
You love BW because because you don't know how to play sc2 ?


I cant tell if this guy is trollin' it up or not.
Much better to die an awesome Terran than to live as a magic wielding fairy or a mindless sac of biological goop. -Manifesto7
DyEnasTy
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States3720 Posts
September 29 2011 20:38 GMT
#236
On September 29 2011 23:23 Ikonn wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 29 2011 22:35 DyEnasTy wrote:
On September 29 2011 13:51 vx70GTOJudgexv wrote:
On September 29 2011 11:46 DyEnasTy wrote:
isnt there a VOD thread (besides the small VOD thread) that exists? Im in urgent need to watch some BW. even better, Id really like to watch the Iris vs GGplay series!


You just became my least favorite poster ever.



awww cmon dont be like that. You can point be to Iris vs GGplay? :p


First game:

+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhbpAerxxRQ


the other games are on the same channel



Thank ya sir
Much better to die an awesome Terran than to live as a magic wielding fairy or a mindless sac of biological goop. -Manifesto7
reincremate
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
China2216 Posts
September 30 2011 04:19 GMT
#237
Fuck giving a heartfelt, sentimental response--Brood War is the manliest fucking game ever. Massive figurative balls of steel are not just mandatory--they're the essence of this game. Brood War is like an endless epic battle between ninja pirate berzerkers and mechanical shark-bears on crack--everything from marine vs lurker micro *SSHH AWWW YEAAH TATATATATATA*, mutalisk micro mercilessly raping the crap out some pathetic worker line, bottom-lip-bitingly intense reaver shuttle CONTROLLLLLL RIBORIBORIBORIBORIBORIBORIBO--scarabs decimiating everything, mine surrounds--MINE DAEBAK WAAAAAA PSIONIC STOOOORM that makes Thor look like a pussy, inducing a collective orgasm in the crowd and commentators and the hordes of fans, DAT MACRO when a fucking massive army from hell destroys everyone and their grandma. When you play BW, you don't cry like a bitch, you put on a Jaedong-esque death stare and destroy everything in 20xx (or at least aspire to while struggling like the noob you are on ICCup).
Caos2
Profile Joined November 2008
United States1728 Posts
September 30 2011 10:38 GMT
#238
Broodwar is endless.
Fiel
Profile Joined March 2010
United States587 Posts
September 30 2011 12:27 GMT
#239
I love Brood War because Fantasy only needs two vultures to wreck a whole probe line.

+ Show Spoiler [Fantasy vs free @ 18:30] +


Headsortails
Profile Joined May 2011
Australia20 Posts
September 30 2011 13:58 GMT
#240
2 words

IMPOSSIBLE SCENARIOS

made BW for me
FOR THE SWARM!
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
00:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nina 171
StarCraft: Brood War
910 822
Hyuk 677
ggaemo 656
actioN 388
Mong 235
Yoon 144
Shuttle 105
Dewaltoss 88
Hm[arnc] 39
soO 31
[ Show more ]
Bale 26
yabsab 22
ZergMaN 20
Noble 15
Icarus 7
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm185
Fuzer 2
League of Legends
JimRising 593
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor785
Other Games
summit1g9641
ceh9365
Happy324
PiGStarcraft218
Mew2King125
ArmadaUGS52
trigger6
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream124
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 53
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2344
League of Legends
• Rush1210
• Stunt447
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
6h 2m
OSC
15h 2m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 3h
Online Event
1d 4h
FEL
1d 9h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 10h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 12h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.