• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:24
CEST 20:24
KST 03:24
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)48Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9819 users

Why We Love Brood War - Page 13

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 11 12 13 14 15 Next All
TdX
Profile Joined February 2011
Singapore290 Posts
September 30 2011 16:39 GMT
#241
PL Grand finals set 3...

GG

KOH KANG MINNNNNNNN
OH ----------------- MY ----------- GOD
KOH KANG MINNNNNNNN
GGGGGGGGGGG
Bleak
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Turkey3059 Posts
September 30 2011 17:00 GMT
#242
I'm going to post why I love BW, although I've started following it closely since the last MSL games that Flash won, I still enjoy it a lot.

They are very specific and minor details but what I really enjoy so far are two things:

1) The phases of the game: Terran goes Factory FE, with a bunker in front, Toss comes with Dragoons and I assume attacks it with range upgrade, T tries to get a tank, gets it, sieges it, and P has to retreat, and the game enters into a whole different phase. I really love that, it's awesome.
2) After a progamer makes a big mistake or loses a whole ton of his army, the camera shows him trying frantically to fix the situation and make the right call. While doing that, you see his hands and shoulders move a lot, indicating that he is really using his mouse like crazy all around. (I saw this from Flash against Jangbi, and I really loved that aspect. Jangbi plays like he's stoned with a creepy smile on his face so I don't know how he reacts to that situation ) I enjoy this a lot, really cool.
"I am a beacon of knowledge blazing out across a black sea of ignorance. "
.vid
Profile Joined July 2011
Croatia227 Posts
October 01 2011 10:59 GMT
#243
i got into brood war after seeing nal ra demos and vods of reach destroying boxer in osl 2002 :D still loving reach, still dreaming he can come back and win another OSL :>

think brood war must be the first video game (and probably only game) to transcend into a real life sport.
eujjjjj
IGotPlayguuu
Profile Joined June 2011
Italy660 Posts
October 01 2011 11:55 GMT
#244
This is why i really got into the brood war scene






So fucking good, I love FBH!!!!!
BW |JaeDong|Bisu|FBH|BeSt| SC2 |MC|DRG|MMA|TLO|HuK|July|ClouD| ||| Boxer best player ever! ||| "HuK never use penix" ||| I <3 SeleCT ||| GO Space! ||| Nerf Roach! |||
Sawamura
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Malaysia7602 Posts
October 01 2011 11:59 GMT
#245
On October 01 2011 01:39 TdX wrote:
PL Grand finals set 3...

GG

KOH KANG MINNNNNNNN
OH ----------------- MY ----------- GOD
KOH KANG MINNNNNNNN


the power of a left hander ^^ FREAKING HOEJJA MAN !! MY hero ..
BW/KT Forever R.I.P KT.Violet dearly missed ..
dark14cs
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
143 Posts
October 01 2011 15:01 GMT
#246
Because It's the greatest strategy game ever made
IntoTheWow wrote: i think idra said it best -- the tl admins need to get the sand out of their vaginas
viOLetFanClub
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Korea (South)390 Posts
October 01 2011 15:17 GMT
#247
Spotlight-worthy.
Adrynaline
Profile Joined February 2011
4 Posts
October 02 2011 17:35 GMT
#248
I was really young when SCBW came out (4 years old, to be exact). I played RTS games when I was younger, but now that I'm really into SC2 and the esports scene, I love watching brood war matches. I've even bought brood war, and I play it on occasion, although I'm terrible. But playing it myself, and watching brood war matches (and documentaries like "Hyungjoon becomes a progamer") has left me with nothing but respect for SC:BW and everyone who played it on a professional level. It's such a difficult game to master, I love seeing people play it on the highest level.
Ricjames
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
Czech Republic1047 Posts
October 03 2011 12:10 GMT
#249
There were 3 main points which made me fall in love with bw at the beginning.
1 - TvT replay of SlayerS_'BoXeR' vs "don't remember who it was actually"
2 - FPVOD of IntotheRain (i did not believe what i saw)
3 - watching sYs(DUNE) playing live in Prague (i think it was 2001). The first time i realized what does the real apm when playing bw look like.

I have played SC vanilla since it came out. I had to buy additional 12MB RAM memory to be able to play it without lag. I mean this has to be love, if you play the same game for that long.
Brood War is the best RTS that has ever been created.
Garaman
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States556 Posts
October 03 2011 12:32 GMT
#250
SC:BW for life. How I got into it? Zelda 64 Madness and Starship Trooper. Oh the simple UMS from back in the day... If anyone has Shadows RPG map still (it was like a 5 player, infintely long, each hero had 3 upgrades, simple RPG from back in the day, story line not those open RPG ones) LET ME KNOW. I played COUNTLESS hours like 5-6 hours with friends trying to beat that game (never did)... I NEED THAT MAP BACK!
Acritter
Profile Joined August 2010
Syria7637 Posts
October 03 2011 13:49 GMT
#251
Because all the Broodwar units just feel so strong. I play SC2 for several reasons, but when I go back to Broodwar, it just amazes me how good all the units feel. I can't even begin to describe the pleasure of using Dragoons after the travesty that is the Stalker.
dont let your memes be dreams - konydora, motivational speaker | not actually living in syria
ShadeR
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Australia7535 Posts
October 06 2011 07:49 GMT
#252

This intro for the finals was so incredibly badass.
cz
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
United States3249 Posts
October 06 2011 08:05 GMT
#253
Because of the history. Broodwar has 10+ years of progaming history. I can remember watching games in computer class in highschool in 2002-03, and remember the game developing, how everything felt so big when it happened. I remember taking a break for a year, coming back in 2006-07, seeing Savior's absolute bonjwa dominance and thinking to myself "so it was Zerg that was the best race." I thought BW was done, solved, and Savior had proven Zerg to be the best. Yet we're still here, 2011 going on 2012, and people are still playing. The game is entirely different from 2006-07. Savior from then would find himself entirely outclassed, lucky to win a game off the top 5 in the world in a bo5 now.
Zergneedsfood
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States10671 Posts
October 10 2011 16:28 GMT
#254
Why we love Broodwar?

Because this shit is too insane to not love:



In the words of a random youtuber:

Broodwar: Pimpest Plays
SCII: Plays
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ Make a contract with me and join TLADT | Onodera isn't actually a girl, she's just a doormat you walk over to get to the girl. - Numy 2015
Sawamura
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Malaysia7602 Posts
October 11 2011 12:58 GMT
#255
Because of these , I have never seen other professional sports man thank their mom , its either their coach or team mates . But xellos he is the best , I think we lost a lot of charismatic players in the shift to mechanic players , GoRush,Themarine,Nalra,Boxer and Yellow hell they made broowar so damn interesting .

Though they may not exist playing in proleague or msl anymore they will forever be reminded by their fans for the entertainment they gave us .




I do hope one day , I can make my parents proud of me , I really am going to work hard to make them proud .

BW/KT Forever R.I.P KT.Violet dearly missed ..
Juliette
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States6003 Posts
October 11 2011 13:30 GMT
#256
because of the hype. i'm still new to bw but even just watching games i dont understand, the hype feels so far apart from anything you can feel from sc2.

i didnt feel the same watching mvp vs top, compared to jangbi vs fanta. the latter was just a lot more....heart-wrenching and exciting
OKAY FROM THAT PERSPECTIVE I SEE WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT
Zergneedsfood
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States10671 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-11 13:44:01
October 11 2011 13:43 GMT
#257
On October 11 2011 21:58 Sawamura wrote:
Because of these , I have never seen other professional sports man thank their mom , its either their coach or team mates . But xellos he is the best , I think we lost a lot of charismatic players in the shift to mechanic players , GoRush,Themarine,Nalra,Boxer and Yellow hell they made broowar so damn interesting .

Though they may not exist playing in proleague or msl anymore they will forever be reminded by their fans for the entertainment they gave us .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6CQ4kc0aiU


I do hope one day , I can make my parents proud of me , I really am going to work hard to make them proud .



I don't even know Xellos very well and I suddenly just burst into tears. Why am I crying? :'(

That was so awesome. Oh god....can't stop trail of tears.....
*goes back to practice*
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ Make a contract with me and join TLADT | Onodera isn't actually a girl, she's just a doormat you walk over to get to the girl. - Numy 2015
Necosarius
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
Sweden4042 Posts
October 11 2011 14:40 GMT
#258
On September 02 2011 15:04 GoShox wrote:
Well....

I'm a super competitive person. When I grew up, I played a lot of sports and my dad always coached me. When high school came I lost interest in baseball and although I still ran cross country and played basketball in some church leagues from time to time, adding in another form of competition wasn't bad at all. That's where Brood War came in.

I'll never forget the feelings I got from Brood War. You all know what I'm talking about. Where you beat that Korean with a really good record or that "known" player, and you know that it was all because of the hard work you've put into the game. I remember the first time I got to D+, C-, C, etc. I was always so happy because I was able to endure all of the frustrating losses (and believe me, there were a ton of them) and was able to grow as a player.

I still remember the first time I hit B-. By then I was only playing Koreans and I went like 13-1 in one day to get from C to B-, and man it felt amazing. Like, everything just clicked. I was playing super, super well and that first time I was able to join the Ladder A-B channel, it was a surreal experience.

And you know, B- against Koreans isn't bad at all. I was really proud of my play and felt really confident playing my style. But I never, ever got cocky....

On a cold day in December of 2009, the new iCCup season had just started. I remember my second game of the ladder I played a Korean Zerg whose name was just random letters. I did my little timing attack that had been working perfectly... only to get it shut down. The Zerg ended up going 3 Hatch Muta into 5 Hatch Hydra. His Muta control was amazing and he picked off all my HT's with ease to the point where he just easily won by attack moving his Hydralisks over my bridges on Destination.

That Zerg was a pro-gamer (at the time, of course) by the name of Luxury. And ever since that, my attitude towards the game changed. I no longer viewed myself as good because compared to the Korean pros, we're all bad. There's no reason to go around bragging about your play because there's always someone out there who can completely smash you. That's not to say that you can't be happy with success - that's perfectly fine - but never start to get content with your play, always work on improving on something.

Of course I've made so many friends over this game and have talked about so many random subjects (girls, religion, etc.) that it just means so much to me.

I really, really hope that SC2 can fill this role some day. Only time will tell.


I was going to write something like this as well.
XsebT
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Denmark2980 Posts
August 02 2012 19:43 GMT
#259
Almost a year ago I said simply:
On September 02 2011 23:41 XsebT wrote:
Never has a loss felt so bad, never has a win felt so satisfying.

While that remains true for me, today I can also say that never have I lost a game before it lost me.
In these dark ages of Brood War, one can only hope for its renaissance.
Brood War forever - the one game.
화이팅
TheShimmy
Profile Joined January 2011
United States1808 Posts
August 02 2012 20:22 GMT
#260
I missed out on so much as a BW fan. I got into the game/sport abouut a year and a half ago when I stumbled onto some old youtube VODs because I remembered a friend mentioning the "massive Korean Starcraft scene". I had no idea. Then I found Nuke got totally sucked into the pro-scene. Once that was beginning to fade I quickly began falling in love with the foreign scene. It gives me hope to see BW refusing to die. It truly is excellent!
Hyvaa #1 Fan. Gogo STX, Dear, Bogus, Classic, and Mini! Always a BW fan!
Prev 1 11 12 13 14 15 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 36m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 610
UpATreeSC 134
JuggernautJason11
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 21421
firebathero 200
Rush 136
Dewaltoss 57
Sexy 28
Trap 20
Bale 16
Shine 15
yabsab 10
Djem5 5
Dota 2
Gorgc7665
qojqva1630
420jenkins149
monkeys_forever59
Counter-Strike
fl0m1545
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1931
crisheroes1133
Liquid`Hasu671
XaKoH 161
MindelVK14
Other Games
Grubby2539
Beastyqt764
ceh9761
FrodaN726
ArmadaUGS193
KnowMe153
Hui .148
byalli144
C9.Mang0133
QueenE106
Trikslyr71
Mew2King55
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV192
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream74
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 10
• Reevou 7
• intothetv
• Migwel
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• IndyKCrew
• Kozan
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 31
• 80smullet 14
• FirePhoenix11
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• Nemesis2288
League of Legends
• TFBlade1186
Other Games
• imaqtpie835
• Shiphtur259
• WagamamaTV247
Upcoming Events
OSC
5h 36m
Stellar Fest
18h 36m
OSC
1d 3h
CranKy Ducklings
1d 15h
Online Event
1d 16h
FEL
1d 21h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 22h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.