• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:23
CEST 20:23
KST 03:23
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)48Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9855 users

Why We Love Brood War - Page 4

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14 15 Next All
Gamegene
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States8308 Posts
September 02 2011 08:25 GMT
#61
Because it's always evolving, because you can always do better.
Throw on your favorite jacket and you're good to roll. Stroll through the trees and let your miseries go.
iNfeRnaL *
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
Germany1908 Posts
September 02 2011 08:26 GMT
#62
This game has so much energy in it; the emotions of the players, not just anger, but sadness, happiness, supreme confidence and agitation, all affect how the player performs. A misclick is devastating in agitation. A poor decision ruins players who are distracted. Everything every player does is so directly linked to him, that the game is an extension of his being. This is where personality in Brood War comes from. You can play this game a million different ways, you can focus on macro, micro, tactics or strategy, and it will always show through to your fans. They will know you and your play style. As fans, you will know your players.

Fantasticly written. Very nicely put and as a former "foreign pro" I can tell how much truth is in there... mentality is the part about the game that got underestimated most often but is probably most important once you've reached a certain skill level.
Hikari
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
1914 Posts
September 02 2011 08:26 GMT
#63
I still recalled the 1st time I played sc1: I thought scvs are attacking units in the very 1st mission. It was one of the very first "real" games I have played, silly dos games don't count.

I love broodwar because I love the Korean commentators. Even though I do not understand a word they say, their passion for the game transcend all barriers.

Broodwar also created something which might just be a dream, a fairytale, the world of esports.
Kashll
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States1117 Posts
September 02 2011 08:27 GMT
#64
Broodwar is playing a long game against someone ranked much higher than me at 2:30 AM, jumping out of my chair and fist-pumping the moment they type "gg", and falling backwards and crashing into my closet then giggling uproariously.
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
Djabanete
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States2786 Posts
September 02 2011 08:28 GMT
#65
Because whenever a big important match comes round, I call my friends, buy some beer and hard cider, spike mango lassi's with honey liqueur, and watch the damn thing live on a 36' TV starting at 2 in the morning. And then there's this:

May the BeSt man win.
Koka-kola
Profile Joined May 2011
241 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-02 08:54:17
September 02 2011 08:53 GMT
#66
sc is a great game, I actually can drink beer with some crisps while watching Live matches. Its better than watching any other sport.
letian
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Germany4221 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-02 08:56:15
September 02 2011 08:54 GMT
#67
I really envy those of you who got to broodwar since the times of Boxer. Its funny but BW was the first PC game I saw, (I was at school at that time) I was somehow magically mesmerized by scvs who were drilling pretty blue minerals and making tanks and soldiers, and then there were strange creatures that spawned buildings out of their workers, and proud graceful aliens with sharp plasma blades as weapons. Oh those were the days.
I didn't have internet till I went to University, nor did I have any skill to play with real ppl. My favourite was "show me the money" > "black sheep wall" and then I was squealing with happiness and anticipation. I didn't know that this game could be so dense and challenging as much as entertaining. Then in 2008 my friends told me "Hey do you play SC? Its fun, you know" And I said, "well yeah, it was my favorite long ago, but its old, how can it be fun?"
Now is 2011 and I'm counting days till OSL Ro4 Day2)
writer22816
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States5775 Posts
September 02 2011 08:56 GMT
#68
The massive amount of skill required, as well as the tremendous amount of hard work each progamer, even the B-team practice partners, put into the game. Every game that I am watching, even if it's a PL match against two players I've never heard of, represents the culmination of hundreds of practice hours. There is always room to improve - different players given the same battle situation can completely turn it around. The amount of multitasking is just insane. SC2 doesn't even come close.
8/4/12 never forget, never forgive.
Fontong
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States6454 Posts
September 02 2011 09:00 GMT
#69
I love if for the closeness that one feels to the pros as a viewer. I love how I can watch a game and try to get at what is going on in the pro's head, what he knows must happen to win. I can cheer them on and feel my spirits rise and fall with the fortunes of the player.

And I love it more still for the untouchable skill of the pros. I can pick my favorite pro, my favorite map; I can log on and pick the same race and map the pros played on. I can push myself to the limits, use a killer build, rally a maxed army around the map, queue a shuttle to drop their expansion. Yet, the game I play will be worlds away from the one I just saw streamed from Korea.
[SECRET FONT] "Dragoon bunker"
Palmar
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Iceland22634 Posts
September 02 2011 09:16 GMT
#70
Because when I was 13 years old I had acquired the game and was playing it. I stumbled upon the fact that people were competing in it, and Blizzard released Battle Reports of those games. I instantly fell in love with the described play of a player named ExecutorZileas.

Since then I played the game casually on and off, I never really dived into following the pro-scene, mostly just glancing whenever there were big finals or some stuff. I followed my friends through counter-strike, into world of warcraft and dota, but Starcraft always remained the game that defined myself, and while I was never anything special, my friends considered me "the guy who's good at starcraft".

10 years later, I still hate the fact that they added a delay to the release of a scarab when you dropped a reaver from a shuttle. But 10 years later I've seen heroes rise and fall in the Starcraft scene in Korea, I've seen quite a few games live and watched countless VOD's.

Computer says mafia
pyrogenetix
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
China5098 Posts
September 02 2011 09:42 GMT
#71
It was a game that started off being really just another RTS, but then evolved into the game it is now, a million miles away from what Blizzard began with.

Brood War has really shown to what extent a computer game can be pushed to and I think that is the most interesting thing about it. There's playing sc and then there is PLAYING starcraft by today's standards and trends.

Also the different shifts and eras throughout the history of bw, starting with garimto, boxer, nada, reach, yellow, july and then it was xellos, oov, chojja, savior, nalra, stork, FBH, and then now bisu, jaedong, flash, snow, hydra. So many new players came onto the scene and everyone thought they were the most groundbreaking. Then after a while a new guy would come out with something new or just have much sicker apm and the whole metagame would shift and change. It was like watching a decade long war with different commanders and generals using different strategies and tactics to fight.

Being a teenager and seeing bigger and better players come out on the scene and fight against the established heavyweights at the time and take over, those were such phenomenal and magical times. The crowd, commentators, highlight videos, pimpest plays, strategy talk, ceremonies, the tears, laughter, reading live reports when streams didn't exist, all the people on teamliquid following this, it was just such a good period of time to be part of the movement.

There was also this feeling that we foreign people (non koreans) were sort of the guys in the very back without seat tickets jumping up and down craning our necks to get a view of the stage. Trying to get GOM player to work, translating korean articles, live reports, private streams, leaked replays and vods, gossip etc. Teamliquid didn't have much recognition back then and everything was more or less just running on pure enthusiasm from the fans. Everything was slow and unorganized but somehow throwing a million hammers at a nail finally drove it into the wood.

That movement was simply magical. If you missed it then sorry you will never experience it and will never truly understand what brood war means to those of us that lived it.
Yea that looks just like Kang Min... amazing game sense... and uses mind games well, but has the micro of a washed up progamer.
BearStorm
Profile Joined September 2010
United States795 Posts
September 02 2011 09:44 GMT
#72
Broodwar is incredible because the level of skill shown by the players leave me in awe. Also it has been along long enough so that so many players have a history and character. I love it and I wish more people could find something they can enjoy as much as I enjoy Broodwar.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
chongu
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Malaysia2605 Posts
September 02 2011 09:49 GMT
#73
Progamers. They breathe, eat and sleep starcraft. Some push themselves to their limits for a possibility of winning a single championship, some do it for pride and fame, while others are content enough to bring enjoyment to the fans of BW and doing ceremonies.

In my 4 years of watching BW, I've grown to know them through their self-expressions in the game and each of them has had their moments of glory. Kwanro had his drones win him a spectacular game against Really, Movie in his out of this world PvZ builds and Upmagic at a time when terrans weren't doing well showed us pure-mech play.

Rooting for a player/team through long stretches of slumps, bad news or bitter losses may make you question - whats the point of investing so much time and effort into watching? Well, the answer for me is simple. It's the love of agame and esports at its finest and we're all proud to be part of it.

OZ FOR LIFE!

SC2 is to BW, what coke is to wine.
Black[CAT]
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Malaysia2589 Posts
September 02 2011 10:10 GMT
#74
Brood War is fun to play.
Brood War is mesmerizing to watch.
Brood War is mesmerizing to play.
Brood War is fun to watch.

You can't explain the feeling. It's like an extension of the mind, no exaggeration. Win or lose, it feels awesome.
You mean ESPORTS isnt a synonym for SC2? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ -Proud owner of a Filco Majestouch 2 with Cherry Blue Switches- BW or SC2? Why not both?
soullogik
Profile Joined April 2010
United States1171 Posts
September 02 2011 10:14 GMT
#75
brood war allows players to show true skill & nothing compares.
young ho
popzags
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Poland604 Posts
September 02 2011 10:17 GMT
#76
So many reasons to say why... But let's say it's a game that can be enjoyable to play no matter if you're meganoob or progamer - and it's exciting to watch when two players of equal level clash.
What what the the fuck fuck? That blew my mind so much, I doubled every word in the phrase 'What the fuck' to get: 'What what the the fuck fuck my what the the fuck fucking what did the drop dropship medivac where in the what in the hell?' - Day[9]
Shana
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Indonesia1814 Posts
September 02 2011 10:17 GMT
#77
I love BW, and I don't know exactly why.

Maybe because of the competition, the progamers. the teams, the community, I don't really know. Or maybe because everything about BW is magical and no words can explain it.
Believing in what lies ahead. | That which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet.
tyr
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
France1686 Posts
September 02 2011 10:20 GMT
#78
It's the only game I played and watched about 10 years ago, but I was too young to realize how awesome it is, and I stopped, and when I was a bit older, I came back to it, because I remembered.
There simply isn't any other game that succeeded the test of time this well, and even though people are saying that BW is dying, I'm gonna go ahead and say that it's not a few bumps that are going to stop BW. It has already seen quite a few bumps, and it's still here today.
"I'm always reminded of how manly Jaedong is every time I see him." -Bisu
valaki
Profile Joined June 2009
Hungary2476 Posts
September 02 2011 10:22 GMT
#79
Because it's very entertaining to watch the highest level of play, which is - given the difficult mechanisms of the game - still not perfect, and never will be, so there's always room to improve, even for the likes of Flash. Because I know it's a very hard thing to learn, and in just mere months, you'll never become to even remotely close mastering it. Because there are very, very good players, but no player can dominate the scene forever. Because it proved - for me -, that it's not just a video game, that everyone can master. It requires tenacity, dedication, endurance and mental toughness to reach the top, and become a progamer. And then you may end up just a B teamer, or a not so successful A teamer with <50% winrate, despite practicing 10-12-14 hours a day. Natural talent for the game is why Flash, Jaedong, Bisu and Stork are considered the top today. And I don't even want to mention the professional commentary which I enjoy more that nearly any other english one, despite not knowing a single word in korean.
ggaemo fan
IceCube
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Croatia1403 Posts
September 02 2011 10:49 GMT
#80
I love it because it elevates my mind and body to a place where hardly any game[insert here almost anything] could possibly reach.
Forever Vulture.. :(
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14 15 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 2
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 610
UpATreeSC 134
JuggernautJason11
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 21421
firebathero 200
Rush 136
Dewaltoss 57
Sexy 28
Trap 20
Bale 16
Shine 15
yabsab 10
Djem5 5
Dota 2
Gorgc7665
qojqva1630
420jenkins149
monkeys_forever59
Counter-Strike
fl0m1545
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1931
crisheroes1133
Liquid`Hasu671
XaKoH 161
MindelVK14
Other Games
Grubby2539
Beastyqt764
ceh9761
FrodaN726
ArmadaUGS193
KnowMe153
Hui .148
byalli144
C9.Mang0133
QueenE106
Trikslyr71
Mew2King55
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV192
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream74
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 10
• Reevou 7
• intothetv
• Migwel
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• IndyKCrew
• Kozan
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 31
• 80smullet 14
• FirePhoenix11
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• Nemesis2288
League of Legends
• TFBlade1186
Other Games
• imaqtpie835
• Shiphtur259
• WagamamaTV247
Upcoming Events
OSC
5h 37m
Stellar Fest
18h 37m
OSC
1d 3h
CranKy Ducklings
1d 15h
Online Event
1d 16h
FEL
1d 21h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 22h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.