• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:00
CEST 03:00
KST 10:00
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)22Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9198 users

Nobody Plays 1v1 Ladder Anymore?

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 84 85 86 Next
Fossa
Profile Joined July 2011
United States67 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-10 14:57:53
February 13 2012 14:00 GMT
#1
I noticed on sc2 ranks that the number of players who did 1v1 ladder from last season decreased drastically. I think 1v1 ladder is a really good place to have fun and compete, so why do you think this is happening? I've also noticed a lot of my friends stopped playing the game, so I'm wondering why players are leaving.

Season 6: http://sc2ranks.com/stats/league/all/1/all/0/142
Season 5: 770,000 (link unavailable)
Season 4: http://sc2ranks.com/stats/league/all/1/all/0/141
Season 2: http://sc2ranks.com/stats/league/all/1/all/0/130

Problems discussed in this thread:
1. bad chat interface
2. ladder is too stressful
3. no automated tournaments like in wc3
4. custom games are too hard to find
5. missing a social aspect (feels empty)
6. no good replay analysis in-game to help determine improvement
7. too much cheese

Potential Solutions:
1. change this back to sc1 or wc3 chat interface
2. gain something from playing ladder games, such as getting points to purchase items like in LoL (encourages casual players to ladder)
3. have automated tournaments for different leagues, and vary the tournament's game type
4. have a custom game lobby, or an additional match making system
5. this goes along with improving the chat interface, finding custom games, being able to do automated tournaments, finding clans, etc.
6. have a replay analysis (something is better than nothing), it's more convenient to have one that you can use in-game than having to use something like sc2gears
7. make games that are shorter worth less points


Here's a great thread that addresses many of the problems we've discussed here: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=308482

Patch 1.5 (Blizzard plans on enhancing the chat interface and custom game lobby): http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/4592755/Developer_Update_with_Game_Director_Dustin_Browder_-3_12_2012

Changes to Matchmaking: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/4811890/Upcoming_Changes_to_Matchmaking-4_6_2012

Season 7 has started!

Update: Fixed season 3 to season 2


Poll: Why have you or your friends lost interest in starcraft 2?

still play the game (1228)
 
33%

laddering is too stressful (1004)
 
27%

moved on to other games (DotA, LoL, etc.) (532)
 
14%

starcraft 2 just isn't fun (452)
 
12%

takes too much time (262)
 
7%

don't like bnet 2.0's interface (261)
 
7%

3739 total votes

Your vote: Why have you or your friends lost interest in starcraft 2?

(Vote): laddering is too stressful
(Vote): don't like bnet 2.0's interface
(Vote): starcraft 2 just isn't fun
(Vote): moved on to other games (DotA, LoL, etc.)
(Vote): still play the game
(Vote): takes too much time

BeeNu
Profile Joined June 2011
615 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-13 14:03:42
February 13 2012 14:02 GMT
#2
I don't have ladder fear I have ladder apathy, my goal with laddering was to always reach Masters league, once I reached that I just lost most of my incentive to keep laddering. :O

I've been preferring to just play PeepMode maps and screw around instead.
EggYsc2
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
620 Posts
February 13 2012 14:03 GMT
#3
I think there was a really big spurt of
"i wanna be the next best player"

they realize they cant do it(for X reasons)
and become a casual player at best
Sated
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
England4983 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-13 14:06:50
February 13 2012 14:04 GMT
#4
--- Nuked ---
Silentenigma
Profile Joined July 2009
Turkey2037 Posts
February 13 2012 14:05 GMT
#5
Because it is not fun to play against abusers BM ers alliners.

Last time I played 99 percent of my games were 1 or 2 base allins(was mid masters).It is almost impossible to play a standard game...I would much rather to play custom games against similar skilled people.
日本語が上手ですね
ZAiNs
Profile Joined July 2010
United Kingdom6525 Posts
February 13 2012 14:06 GMT
#6
Because the game is too hard for most casual players.
hahaimhenry
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada368 Posts
February 13 2012 14:07 GMT
#7
because people have school!
:]
hzflank
Profile Joined August 2011
United Kingdom2991 Posts
February 13 2012 14:08 GMT
#8
On February 13 2012 23:05 Silentenigma wrote:
Because it is not fun to play against abusers BM ers alliners.

Last time I played 99 percent of my games were 1 or 2 base allins(was mid masters).It is almost impossible to play a standard game...I would much rather to play custom games against similar skilled people.


I really dislike this mindset, and I think it is the cause of a lot of the bad manners that I encounter on the ladder.

I dont think there is any such thing as cheese or all-in. Aggressive strategies are a very important part of the game. I have noticed that the idea of cheese does not exist with koreans, and perhaps this is an important part of why they are so good.
chestnutcc
Profile Joined July 2011
India429 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-13 14:10:41
February 13 2012 14:08 GMT
#9
Ladder phobia should be a documented phenomenon. Living it right now TT

PS: Yeah, people who imagine themselves to be the greatest macro players if only they could get past the cheese and all ins irritate the hell out of me. Its ladder phobia disguised as strategic xenophobia.
Shockk
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Germany2269 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-13 14:09:38
February 13 2012 14:08 GMT
#10
Shameless plug: Maybe it's not ladder anxiety or insufficient motivation causing dropping players numbers, but the general lack of social features and feeling of community in the game?
Kui
Profile Joined February 2011
United Kingdom88 Posts
February 13 2012 14:09 GMT
#11
A lot of terran players including myself are having an insanely hard time in high diamond --> low masters, the number reflects it. And, it's not a new game anymore. Some people don't like games.
"I told you I was ill." -Written on Spike Milligan's Gravestone.
Mattchew
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States5684 Posts
February 13 2012 14:09 GMT
#12
The game is older and new games are coming out. Also losing is tough. Also arent the seasons shorter?
There is always tomorrow nshs.seal.
mrafaeldie12
Profile Joined July 2011
Brazil537 Posts
February 13 2012 14:10 GMT
#13
I guess it is because the lack of community the game has.
"..it all comes thumbling down thumbling down thumblin down"
HallBregg
Profile Joined November 2010
134 Posts
February 13 2012 14:11 GMT
#14
I found playing customs is much more enjoiable than lader. You can practice the same mu several games in a row, adjust your play, and just improve a lot more. Lader is too random. Just my 2 cents
proves and pilons
B.I.G.
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
3251 Posts
February 13 2012 14:11 GMT
#15
for me personally it started becoming more of an obligation rather then somethiing fun to do on the side. I dont have the time to play every day and I dont feel like laddering when I feel im gonna fail... so yeah that kinda kept making the situation worse..
DannyJ
Profile Joined March 2010
United States5110 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-13 14:14:40
February 13 2012 14:12 GMT
#16
Well i can think of a few reasons, but the MASSIVE drop from last season to this one is pretty crazy. It's not like season 4 was that long ago.

Edit: oh or are the stats divided up into just patches and not exactly seasons... not sure how much that's effecting the numbers.
Herper
Profile Joined January 2011
501 Posts
February 13 2012 14:12 GMT
#17
I think that sc2gears records each match that has happened since it went live
over time, it will get higher since season 5 just started.
But, it could also mean that the time frame in which a particular season occurs could greatly influence the number of recorded matches. Like maybe some people have exams coming up or are on vacation, etc
Many variables need to be taken into account.
Rustug
Profile Joined October 2010
1488 Posts
February 13 2012 14:12 GMT
#18
The ladder is fine, I can still easily find matches when I hit the "Find Match" button.
As for the BM, those people disappear as soon as there is a new game to troll. Just ignore them.

It's natural that things decline. It will pick-up again when the expansion hits.

Also, don't make this a self-fulfilling prophecy by convincing people something is wrong.



Curious that we spend more time congratulating people who have succeeded than encouraging people who have not. 파이팅! ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ"
Joseph123
Profile Joined October 2010
Bulgaria1144 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-13 14:14:30
February 13 2012 14:14 GMT
#19
1. Perhaps add maps that are worth playing, how am i supposed to ladder a lot when there are 7 maps from which I've banned 3, so I'm playing the same maps over and over again and I don't even like them
Solution: add more maps + more bans.
2. Battle.net is a lonely boring place, all you can do is click find match button and that's all I do. If you want to get involved, you can do that, but that requires a lot of time and effort outside the game to find the people to do so.
Solution: Fix battle.net
3. There are no statistics about your games, just some boring match history that requires so much time to open anyway
Solution: Add more features to 1v1 statistics, I can't think of all of them, but statistics about every maps, every bo, every race, etc.. No, I don't want to use Sc2gears for that.
4. How am i supposed to keep on playing when i get 10 pvp's in a row? I don't care that "this is your luck" or something, I don't have all the time in the world to click the find match button, so if I play 10 games, I want them to be against all races.........................................?
Solution: Fix that.
5. The division system is completely retarded, there isn't a real way to compare yourself to your opponent and to all the people.... Just no comment, you are top1 master in one division, but in other you're like top25. Seriously? What is the point in that? The whole statistics are meaningless, you don't get any information about your skill improvement.
6. Things that compare you to other players such as apm are completely ruined by absolutely no reason, good job Blizzard -1 thing that can compare you to other people.
I can continue, but there is no point, they have shown no intention in making battle.net a place that you can do anything else other than pressing "Find match" and then using 3rd party programs for statistics. So people like me who wanna play maybe 20 games a day are gonna play a lot less, because there is nothing to keep us continuing to play after a long series of pvp's or just nothing happening, just staying at one place, no way to guess after this 20 games, did I improve or not? Did my MMR jump high or not? Of course I'm not able to understand that, because of bonus pool. Well done.
EggYsc2
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
620 Posts
February 13 2012 14:14 GMT
#20
On February 13 2012 23:10 mrafaeldie12 wrote:
I guess it is because the lack of community the game has.


im guessing team liquid is not a community.
1 2 3 4 5 84 85 86 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 9h
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nathanias 81
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 12319
Rain 2152
Artosis 543
White-Ra 205
ToSsGirL 45
Dota 2
monkeys_forever703
NeuroSwarm117
League of Legends
Doublelift4912
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1379
ArmadaUGS665
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1094
WinterStarcraft386
Other Games
summit1g8492
shahzam705
Day[9].tv686
JimRising 545
C9.Mang0323
Maynarde147
ViBE142
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick809
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream121
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 124
• davetesta40
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Scarra1018
• Day9tv686
• Shiphtur295
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
9h
OSC
12h
Stellar Fest
12h
OSC
23h
Stellar Fest
1d 12h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.