• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:26
CEST 14:26
KST 21:26
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)65Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2314
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 14394 users

TL Chess Match 4 - Page 102

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 100 101 102 103 104 140 Next
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-23 09:43:59
October 23 2011 08:42 GMT
#2021
Okay I updated everything and posted my move.

Voting for move 18 starts here.

I originally planned 17... a5 up till a few hours ago. But there's two reasons why I really didn't want to make it. Well, three. And only one of them is because I hate to be predictable. So in the end I changed my move the last minute and had to spend a few more hours in making sure of some of the sidelines.

The main reason to be honest was that a5 somehow made me cringe. It's that feeling that I had at tournaments, too when I played. When something isn't exactly as you'd like to and you feel like there should be something better, but not always clear why.

I had a few rougher weeks and I really tried not to let this game pass into being boring and predictable, so right now I felt I needed something new. These past days I erased all my previous plans and started from a blank page and our starting position after move sixteen/seventeen around three times. I hope it will have worth it in the end.

PS: It's also the first time we fell under 40 active players in a very long while.

PS II: On another note I will make another note about all the ideas I have for other activities, maybe make a few replies later. I also hope I won't forget sending out move reminders before I go to sleep. Since I'll stay up all night that timeframe can range wide, though.

PS III: omgwtfbbq I got the first post on the page again.

PS IV: Wow, I'm a dragoon now. I turned zealot through this thread to begin with.
greggy
Profile Joined October 2010
United Kingdom1483 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-23 12:15:55
October 23 2011 12:08 GMT
#2022
On October 23 2011 16:50 Bill Murray wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
if you all want to free our bishop why didnt we take his knight with it...............

+ Show Spoiler +
Because it was a terrible move at the time.


+ Show Spoiler +
I still believe Nf1 is the move to play in this situation. For example,

http://www.chess.com/emboard.html?id=746363
ffreakk
Profile Joined September 2010
Singapore2155 Posts
October 23 2011 12:53 GMT
#2023
On October 23 2011 16:50 Bill Murray wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
if you all want to free our bishop why didnt we take his knight with it...............


+ Show Spoiler +
I have a hunch that he ll Rxb2 if we do that.


Someone kindly enlighten me as to why we cant do 18.Nf3? Sorry if its something obvious that i missed out >.<
Look. Only Forward. See. Only Victory.
greggy
Profile Joined October 2010
United Kingdom1483 Posts
October 23 2011 17:09 GMT
#2024
On October 23 2011 21:53 ffreakk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 23 2011 16:50 Bill Murray wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
if you all want to free our bishop why didnt we take his knight with it...............


+ Show Spoiler +
I have a hunch that he ll Rxb2 if we do that.


Someone kindly enlighten me as to why we cant do 18.Nf3? Sorry if its something obvious that i missed out >.<

+ Show Spoiler +
Think about the squares the knight can go to from f3.
mastergriggy
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1312 Posts
October 23 2011 19:17 GMT
#2025
My tentative vote is 18. Nf1

+ Show Spoiler +
I posted a bit of analysis earlier, but I didn't get too far into this move for black. After looking at it for a bit, I think we need to free up our pieces. Here are some possibilities:

+ Show Spoiler [18. Nf3] +
18. Nf3 moves the Knight out of the way, but why not just play Nf1 as Greggy suggests? It accomplishes the same goals as Nf3, but it gives better squares to the Knight as well as allows for better defensive options.


+ Show Spoiler [18. Nf1] +
18... Bd6 19. Ne3 Rb3 20. Bd2

20...c6 21. Bc3 (Bb4 looks really interesting, but I don't think it'll work) Ba6 22. Ng4 (22. Nf5 looks good too) and I think white has a slight advantage.

20...Rxb2 21. Nxd5 Rxe1 (21...Rxd2 22. Nxf6+) 22. Bxe1 Ke6 23.Ne3 looks like white maintains his pawn in exchange for black having the Bishop pair.


+ Show Spoiler [18. b4] +
b4 runs into a problem it had early which is a5 (black can also probably play Bd6 still) 19. bxa5 Ba6 and it doesn't look like our position is the best.


+ Show Spoiler [18. Nb1] +
Nb1 with the intent of c3 looks interesting and if black plays 18...Rb3, white can counter with Nc3 which greatly weakens the move. 18...Bd6 19. Rxe8 Kxe8 20. Nc3 is an interesting end game and I'd say is a slight advantage for white.


+ Show Spoiler [18. b3] +
b3 prevents 18...Rb3 and weakens 18...a5. Additionally, it allows white to respond to 19...Bd6 with 20.

18. b3 Bd6 19. Bb2 Bf4 20. Nf1 Bf4 21. Bc3 Nxd2 22. Bxd2 Rxb3 23. Bb4 gives back the pawn but gives white great mobility and he should be able to capitalize on the weak black pawns while maintaining all his pawns. Not sure how favorable this is for white however.


In summary, I think we have a lot of good options here, and I would be fine with either b3, Nf1, or possibly Nb1 if it ends up working out.
Write your own song!
mastergriggy
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1312 Posts
October 23 2011 19:22 GMT
#2026
On October 23 2011 16:50 Bill Murray wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
if you all want to free our bishop why didnt we take his knight with it...............


+ Show Spoiler +
Mainly because it drops the b2 pawn and gives black the initiative. He'll have the capacity for two Bishops aiming at our king side along with a rook on our 2nd rank, and a rook on g8. We would basically die.
Write your own song!
EvilNalu
Profile Joined May 2010
United States91 Posts
October 23 2011 19:29 GMT
#2027
On October 23 2011 21:08 greggy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 23 2011 16:50 Bill Murray wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
if you all want to free our bishop why didnt we take his knight with it...............

+ Show Spoiler +
Because it was a terrible move at the time.


+ Show Spoiler +
I still believe Nf1 is the move to play in this situation. For example,

http://www.chess.com/emboard.html?id=746363



+ Show Spoiler +
In your line 18.Nf1 c5 I don't like your move 19.Be3. After your Rxb2 20.dxc5 Ba6 21.Reb1 Reb8 22.Rxb2 Rxb2 23.Bd4 Rb5 at the very least black gets his pawn back. He also has other attractive options:

18.Nf1 c5 19.Be3 c4 and he can maintain a bind.

However, I think 18.Nf1 c5 is not much of a threat if we meet it with 19.dxc5 Bxc5 20.Rxe8 Kxe8 21.b4 Bd4 22.Ra2. Because 18...c5 results in such simplifications, I think black has to avoid it.
EvilNalu
Profile Joined May 2010
United States91 Posts
October 23 2011 21:28 GMT
#2028
On October 24 2011 04:17 mastergriggy wrote:
My tentative vote is 18. Nf1

+ Show Spoiler +
I posted a bit of analysis earlier, but I didn't get too far into this move for black. After looking at it for a bit, I think we need to free up our pieces. Here are some possibilities:

+ Show Spoiler [18. Nf3] +
18. Nf3 moves the Knight out of the way, but why not just play Nf1 as Greggy suggests? It accomplishes the same goals as Nf3, but it gives better squares to the Knight as well as allows for better defensive options.


+ Show Spoiler [18. Nf1] +
18... Bd6 19. Ne3 Rb3 20. Bd2

20...c6 21. Bc3 (Bb4 looks really interesting, but I don't think it'll work) Ba6 22. Ng4 (22. Nf5 looks good too) and I think white has a slight advantage.

20...Rxb2 21. Nxd5 Rxe1 (21...Rxd2 22. Nxf6+) 22. Bxe1 Ke6 23.Ne3 looks like white maintains his pawn in exchange for black having the Bishop pair.


+ Show Spoiler [18. b4] +
b4 runs into a problem it had early which is a5 (black can also probably play Bd6 still) 19. bxa5 Ba6 and it doesn't look like our position is the best.


+ Show Spoiler [18. Nb1] +
Nb1 with the intent of c3 looks interesting and if black plays 18...Rb3, white can counter with Nc3 which greatly weakens the move. 18...Bd6 19. Rxe8 Kxe8 20. Nc3 is an interesting end game and I'd say is a slight advantage for white.


+ Show Spoiler [18. b3] +
b3 prevents 18...Rb3 and weakens 18...a5. Additionally, it allows white to respond to 19...Bd6 with 20.

18. b3 Bd6 19. Bb2 Bf4 20. Nf1 Bf4 21. Bc3 Nxd2 22. Bxd2 Rxb3 23. Bb4 gives back the pawn but gives white great mobility and he should be able to capitalize on the weak black pawns while maintaining all his pawns. Not sure how favorable this is for white however.


In summary, I think we have a lot of good options here, and I would be fine with either b3, Nf1, or possibly Nb1 if it ends up working out.


+ Show Spoiler +
In your 18.Nf1 line: black can stop Bd2 by playing 18...Bd6 19.Ne3 c6. How does white progress here given that his bishop and knight can't move and Rb1 is now unavailable due to Bxa3?
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
October 23 2011 22:03 GMT
#2029
Funny how this turned into the only thread I really read for more than 2 posts in the matter of two months.

Also practically the only thing I do on TL. Don't even watch streams lately.
Cloud9157
Profile Joined December 2010
United States2968 Posts
October 23 2011 22:38 GMT
#2030
Nf3
"Are you absolutely sure that armor only affects the health portion of a protoss army??? That doesn't sound right to me. source?" -Some idiot
Malli
Profile Joined September 2005
Germany138 Posts
October 23 2011 23:37 GMT
#2031
18. b4
gg no re
Bill Murray
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States9292 Posts
October 23 2011 23:41 GMT
#2032
h3
University of Kentucky Basketball #1
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
October 23 2011 23:52 GMT
#2033
On October 24 2011 06:28 EvilNalu wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 24 2011 04:17 mastergriggy wrote:
My tentative vote is 18. Nf1

+ Show Spoiler +
I posted a bit of analysis earlier, but I didn't get too far into this move for black. After looking at it for a bit, I think we need to free up our pieces. Here are some possibilities:

+ Show Spoiler [18. Nf3] +
18. Nf3 moves the Knight out of the way, but why not just play Nf1 as Greggy suggests? It accomplishes the same goals as Nf3, but it gives better squares to the Knight as well as allows for better defensive options.


+ Show Spoiler [18. Nf1] +
18... Bd6 19. Ne3 Rb3 20. Bd2

20...c6 21. Bc3 (Bb4 looks really interesting, but I don't think it'll work) Ba6 22. Ng4 (22. Nf5 looks good too) and I think white has a slight advantage.

20...Rxb2 21. Nxd5 Rxe1 (21...Rxd2 22. Nxf6+) 22. Bxe1 Ke6 23.Ne3 looks like white maintains his pawn in exchange for black having the Bishop pair.


+ Show Spoiler [18. b4] +
b4 runs into a problem it had early which is a5 (black can also probably play Bd6 still) 19. bxa5 Ba6 and it doesn't look like our position is the best.


+ Show Spoiler [18. Nb1] +
Nb1 with the intent of c3 looks interesting and if black plays 18...Rb3, white can counter with Nc3 which greatly weakens the move. 18...Bd6 19. Rxe8 Kxe8 20. Nc3 is an interesting end game and I'd say is a slight advantage for white.


+ Show Spoiler [18. b3] +
b3 prevents 18...Rb3 and weakens 18...a5. Additionally, it allows white to respond to 19...Bd6 with 20.

18. b3 Bd6 19. Bb2 Bf4 20. Nf1 Bf4 21. Bc3 Nxd2 22. Bxd2 Rxb3 23. Bb4 gives back the pawn but gives white great mobility and he should be able to capitalize on the weak black pawns while maintaining all his pawns. Not sure how favorable this is for white however.


In summary, I think we have a lot of good options here, and I would be fine with either b3, Nf1, or possibly Nb1 if it ends up working out.


+ Show Spoiler +
In your 18.Nf1 line: black can stop Bd2 by playing 18...Bd6 19.Ne3 c6. How does white progress here given that his bishop and knight can't move and Rb1 is now unavailable due to Bxa3?
I'm not ready to vote yet, but in your line, perhaps White can progress with + Show Spoiler +
20. Ra2 (freeing the Bishop from guard duty and perhaps preparing to double Rooks) given that the Ne3 guards against a move like ...Bc4. E.g. 18. Nf1 Bd6 19. Ne3 c6 20. Ra2 a5 21. Bd2 a4 22. Rb1 Ba6 23. b4.
PGN viewer
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
hp.Shell
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2527 Posts
October 24 2011 00:32 GMT
#2034
My brain is sad. I've been imagining lines and I don't like most of them. I can say that we don't really have to worry about + Show Spoiler +
19. ...Bxa3
if anyone's super concerned about that. I want to move a pawn but I'm unsure which one to move. I may come back to this topic and do a proper analysis before the deadline, but I might also just vote with the pawn move that has the most votes at that time.

Abstain
Please PM me with any songs you like that you think I haven't heard before!
EvilNalu
Profile Joined May 2010
United States91 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-24 01:00:33
October 24 2011 00:59 GMT
#2035
On October 24 2011 08:52 qrs wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 24 2011 06:28 EvilNalu wrote:
On October 24 2011 04:17 mastergriggy wrote:
My tentative vote is 18. Nf1

+ Show Spoiler +
I posted a bit of analysis earlier, but I didn't get too far into this move for black. After looking at it for a bit, I think we need to free up our pieces. Here are some possibilities:

+ Show Spoiler [18. Nf3] +
18. Nf3 moves the Knight out of the way, but why not just play Nf1 as Greggy suggests? It accomplishes the same goals as Nf3, but it gives better squares to the Knight as well as allows for better defensive options.


+ Show Spoiler [18. Nf1] +
18... Bd6 19. Ne3 Rb3 20. Bd2

20...c6 21. Bc3 (Bb4 looks really interesting, but I don't think it'll work) Ba6 22. Ng4 (22. Nf5 looks good too) and I think white has a slight advantage.

20...Rxb2 21. Nxd5 Rxe1 (21...Rxd2 22. Nxf6+) 22. Bxe1 Ke6 23.Ne3 looks like white maintains his pawn in exchange for black having the Bishop pair.


+ Show Spoiler [18. b4] +
b4 runs into a problem it had early which is a5 (black can also probably play Bd6 still) 19. bxa5 Ba6 and it doesn't look like our position is the best.


+ Show Spoiler [18. Nb1] +
Nb1 with the intent of c3 looks interesting and if black plays 18...Rb3, white can counter with Nc3 which greatly weakens the move. 18...Bd6 19. Rxe8 Kxe8 20. Nc3 is an interesting end game and I'd say is a slight advantage for white.


+ Show Spoiler [18. b3] +
b3 prevents 18...Rb3 and weakens 18...a5. Additionally, it allows white to respond to 19...Bd6 with 20.

18. b3 Bd6 19. Bb2 Bf4 20. Nf1 Bf4 21. Bc3 Nxd2 22. Bxd2 Rxb3 23. Bb4 gives back the pawn but gives white great mobility and he should be able to capitalize on the weak black pawns while maintaining all his pawns. Not sure how favorable this is for white however.


In summary, I think we have a lot of good options here, and I would be fine with either b3, Nf1, or possibly Nb1 if it ends up working out.


+ Show Spoiler +
In your 18.Nf1 line: black can stop Bd2 by playing 18...Bd6 19.Ne3 c6. How does white progress here given that his bishop and knight can't move and Rb1 is now unavailable due to Bxa3?
I'm not ready to vote yet, but in your line, perhaps White can progress with + Show Spoiler +
20. Ra2 (freeing the Bishop from guard duty and perhaps preparing to double Rooks) given that the Ne3 guards against a move like ...Bc4. E.g. 18. Nf1 Bd6 19. Ne3 c6 20. Ra2 a5 21. Bd2 a4 22. Rb1 Ba6 23. b4.
PGN viewer


+ Show Spoiler +
Your line looks like it is just losing after 23...axb3. However, white doesn't have to play b4 so perhaps something like 18. Nf1 Bd6 19. Ne3 c6 20. Ra2 a5 21. Bd2 a4 22. Bc3 is viable, however the Bc3 lines aren't too appealing because we are basically turning our bishop into a big pawn.

I think we should also look at whether it makes sense to take 19.Rxe8 Kxe8 before playing Ne3 in these lines. Trades take the pressure off our e file and simplify.

I also can't find a move to vote on yet. I don't like the looks of b3 or b4 so it seems like it has to be a knight move, and Nf1 is appealing. I don't hate Nf3 as much as you guys seem to: I don't see the knight being that much better on e3, which is where it ends up in pretty much every Nf1 line. On f3 it also defends our e1 rook, which helps tactically in some lines. However, e3 still is a better square so I can't decide. I can't decide whether Nb1 works better than Nf1, either.
dtvu
Profile Joined March 2010
Australia687 Posts
October 24 2011 01:01 GMT
#2036
+ Show Spoiler +
I don't like 18. Nf1 due to 18. ... Bd6, we would be on the back foot if we respond with 19. Ne3 then black plays 19... Kc6!, or 19. Rxe8 Kxe8, black frees up his white bishop for the h3 diagnonal.


+ Show Spoiler +
I think we play 18. Rb1 now then 19. Nf3 if black plays 18.Bd6. All our pieces will be untangled then. I will abstain from voting now to have a better look at the position though
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
October 24 2011 03:45 GMT
#2037
Seems like some of you are a little confused after that last move.
Cloud9157
Profile Joined December 2010
United States2968 Posts
October 24 2011 04:52 GMT
#2038
+ Show Spoiler +
Rb1 is susceptible to Bf5 once he frees it with his king.

I'm saying Nf3 for a reason. The most important: defend our d4 pawn. He will plan to under mind it with c5 most likely. Nf3 also frees up our bishop. Doubling our rooks should be a strong priority as well.

In addition, I'm looking to play b4 followed by Bd2 to get more use out of it. All depends on his next move.

And b4 right off the bat is a bad choice as he hits it with a5.
"Are you absolutely sure that armor only affects the health portion of a protoss army??? That doesn't sound right to me. source?" -Some idiot
mastergriggy
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1312 Posts
October 24 2011 06:13 GMT
#2039
On October 24 2011 06:28 EvilNalu wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 24 2011 04:17 mastergriggy wrote:
My tentative vote is 18. Nf1

+ Show Spoiler +
I posted a bit of analysis earlier, but I didn't get too far into this move for black. After looking at it for a bit, I think we need to free up our pieces. Here are some possibilities:

+ Show Spoiler [18. Nf3] +
18. Nf3 moves the Knight out of the way, but why not just play Nf1 as Greggy suggests? It accomplishes the same goals as Nf3, but it gives better squares to the Knight as well as allows for better defensive options.


+ Show Spoiler [18. Nf1] +
18... Bd6 19. Ne3 Rb3 20. Bd2

20...c6 21. Bc3 (Bb4 looks really interesting, but I don't think it'll work) Ba6 22. Ng4 (22. Nf5 looks good too) and I think white has a slight advantage.

20...Rxb2 21. Nxd5 Rxe1 (21...Rxd2 22. Nxf6+) 22. Bxe1 Ke6 23.Ne3 looks like white maintains his pawn in exchange for black having the Bishop pair.


+ Show Spoiler [18. b4] +
b4 runs into a problem it had early which is a5 (black can also probably play Bd6 still) 19. bxa5 Ba6 and it doesn't look like our position is the best.


+ Show Spoiler [18. Nb1] +
Nb1 with the intent of c3 looks interesting and if black plays 18...Rb3, white can counter with Nc3 which greatly weakens the move. 18...Bd6 19. Rxe8 Kxe8 20. Nc3 is an interesting end game and I'd say is a slight advantage for white.


+ Show Spoiler [18. b3] +
b3 prevents 18...Rb3 and weakens 18...a5. Additionally, it allows white to respond to 19...Bd6 with 20.

18. b3 Bd6 19. Bb2 Bf4 20. Nf1 Bf4 21. Bc3 Nxd2 22. Bxd2 Rxb3 23. Bb4 gives back the pawn but gives white great mobility and he should be able to capitalize on the weak black pawns while maintaining all his pawns. Not sure how favorable this is for white however.


In summary, I think we have a lot of good options here, and I would be fine with either b3, Nf1, or possibly Nb1 if it ends up working out.


+ Show Spoiler +
In your 18.Nf1 line: black can stop Bd2 by playing 18...Bd6 19.Ne3 c6. How does white progress here given that his bishop and knight can't move and Rb1 is now unavailable due to Bxa3?


In response to EvilNalu,

+ Show Spoiler +
After 19...c6, I got 20. b4 a5 21. bxa5 Ba6 22. Bd2
[image loading]

22...Rb2 23. Bb4 Bxb4 24. axb4 Rxb4 looks strong for white still since white we have an outside passed pawn and the knight isn't in the way anymore. It seems like the doubled a pawns aren't as big of an issue with the knight on e3 and no Bishop pair for black.

22...Rb3 23. Ng4 Rxe1 24. Rxe1 Be7 25. Bb4 will win white a pawn.

I think b4 is safe to play once we rearrange the pieces.

Write your own song!
greggy
Profile Joined October 2010
United Kingdom1483 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-24 09:41:08
October 24 2011 09:39 GMT
#2040
+ Show Spoiler +
I think one additional bonus of Nf1 is that white can play Nf1-e3-c2, defending all of e1, b4, a3 and d4. Obviously the knight gets chased away by Bf5, but then bishop can't actually come to c5 until the knight leaves e3. Something along the lines of

http://www.chess.com/emboard.html?id=746899

P.S. Sorry if my analysis has been somewhat random and haphazard and shite recently, I've been looking at this between/during lectures -.-
Prev 1 100 101 102 103 104 140 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Online Event
20:00
BamsPatch 1.0 Weekly #3
Liquipedia
CranKy Ducklings
19:00
Sea Duckling Open #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
CranKy Ducklings104
CranKy Ducklings SOOP40
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko312
SHIN 169
ProTech132
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 30067
Hyuk 1441
Shuttle 1318
Bisu 1271
Mind 356
Mini 296
Larva 268
EffOrt 259
firebathero 239
Soma 201
[ Show more ]
Last 128
ZerO 122
Leta 87
Zeus 75
Hm[arnc] 72
Pusan 67
Hyun 59
Trap 38
Killer 34
hero 33
Sexy 32
Bale 31
PianO 28
sorry 28
Aegong 24
ToSsGirL 24
Noble 15
yabsab 14
zelot 14
JulyZerg 9
Sacsri 8
ajuk12(nOOB) 5
Dota 2
Gorgc1817
Dendi1148
qojqva1049
XcaliburYe455
XaKoH 391
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1525
Other Games
gofns41347
singsing2552
B2W.Neo1099
crisheroes310
Happy293
DeMusliM204
Livibee117
Mew2King110
ToD81
ArmadaUGS46
ZerO(Twitch)7
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream183
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 64
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 8457
League of Legends
• Jankos1871
Other Games
• WagamamaTV220
Upcoming Events
FEL
3h 34m
AI Arena Tournament
4h 34m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6h 34m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
21h 34m
INu's Battles
23h 34m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 6h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 6h
Replay Cast
1d 11h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 21h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 22h
[ Show More ]
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.