• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:34
CEST 03:34
KST 10:34
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site Bot on ladder BSL Season 23
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8805 users

TL Learn Korean Thread - Page 8

Forum Index > TL Community
Post a Reply
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 20 Next All
JunC
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada80 Posts
January 11 2012 00:04 GMT
#141
wow im korean and i barely know korean

thanks for the resources in the thread, OP, i will definitely have a look at them
kekekeke
Chill
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
Calgary26003 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-11 00:09:00
January 11 2012 00:08 GMT
#142
On January 10 2012 19:00 Escoffier wrote:
can anyone tell me why you pronounce the first of the final double consonants in 몫대, making it pronounced like "목데", but normally, in other final double consonants, you generally pronounce the second consonant, making 닭대 sound like it's pronounced "닥대" ?

is there some rule or do I have to memorize all the exceptions

There's no rule (that I've found). It's case-by-case and annoying.
Moderator
Kokujin
Profile Joined July 2010
United States456 Posts
January 11 2012 00:26 GMT
#143
One thing ive come to realize is google translate is actually terrible for translations. Only use it for pronunciations! And memorize the korean keyboard layout ASAP, by doing this you learn how to type and how to read at the same time. Much more efficient than learning from a book. Here's the keyboard layout.
mblaq_si
Profile Joined January 2012
Great Britain19 Posts
January 11 2012 00:54 GMT
#144
Yh i know ! Google translate gives you the wrong translation!

Best thing is to get a phrase book. This is how Im learnt korean:
First I watched korean dramas, this is good for conversation and pronounciation. Iv picked up the language and can understand some korean without subtitles.
Secondly,I suggest learning the hangul characters, downloading the hangul keyboard app was extremely helpful.
. Also frequently use rosseta stone (it teaches the language using picture association). Lastly, but if you want to increase your vocab-listen to kpop and learn it.
''What blood type are you? '' Type ReaL ! XD
stablol
Profile Joined July 2011
United States82 Posts
January 11 2012 00:58 GMT
#145
On January 11 2012 09:54 taemin_jjang wrote:
Yh i know ! Google translate gives you the wrong translation!

Best thing is to get a phrase book. This is how Im learnt korean:
First I watched korean dramas, this is good for conversation and pronounciation. Iv picked up the language and can understand some korean without subtitles.
Secondly,I suggest learning the hangul characters, downloading the hangul keyboard app was extremely helpful.
. Also frequently use rosseta stone (it teaches the language using picture association). Lastly, but if you want to increase your vocab-listen to kpop and learn it.

jonghyun is better than taemin lolol
보아 사랑해요 짱
B.I.G.
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
3251 Posts
January 11 2012 01:11 GMT
#146
just a quick (noob) question, but what would be the informal form of 합니다 ? for some reason i cant find it :/
mblaq_si
Profile Joined January 2012
Great Britain19 Posts
January 11 2012 01:12 GMT
#147
Oh yeah, dont forget to practise your korean with your korean friends.
My korean freinds teach me informal korean( and they help me with my pronounciation, which is so much better than any internet or book resources. =D

P.s dont use skype, seriously there are alot of freaky weirdos I.e pedo's. If you want to practise your korean just ask your korean friends at school/uni...Good luck.
''What blood type are you? '' Type ReaL ! XD
Sinensis
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States2513 Posts
January 11 2012 01:23 GMT
#148
Talk to me in Korean's Hangeul videos are really good...I can read phonetically after less than an hour of studying. Recommended for anyone who follows Brood War. It's really fun trying to pronounce cheerfuls and player names.
520
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States2822 Posts
January 11 2012 01:38 GMT
#149
On January 11 2012 10:11 B.I.G. wrote:
just a quick (noob) question, but what would be the informal form of 합니다 ? for some reason i cant find it :/

I think it would just be 해.
Writer
[Agony]x90
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States853 Posts
January 11 2012 01:48 GMT
#150
On January 11 2012 10:38 scintilliaSD wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 11 2012 10:11 B.I.G. wrote:
just a quick (noob) question, but what would be the informal form of 합니다 ? for some reason i cant find it :/

I think it would just be 해.


Yup.

Also, I wanted to add that in general, you should avoid learning vocabulary conjugated in honorific (습니다). It's a lot more useful to learn the dictionary form (다) and to learn the proper way to conjugate it from there.

As a rule of thumb, to figure out what the informal form is, take the dictionary form, conjugate it to formal (어요/아요) form and then just drop the 요. I suggest learning/thinking this way because then you learn the two most commonly used conjugation forms at once.
JF dodger since 2009
SoraLimit
Profile Joined February 2011
Canada747 Posts
January 11 2012 02:33 GMT
#151
On January 11 2012 09:26 Kokujin wrote:
One thing ive come to realize is google translate is actually terrible for translations. Only use it for pronunciations! And memorize the korean keyboard layout ASAP, by doing this you learn how to type and how to read at the same time. Much more efficient than learning from a book. Here's the keyboard layout.

I agree with this. Both my French and Japanese teacher have said that google translate, as well as any other translator like it should only used for words and very small sentences, not full on sentences.
Escoffier
Profile Joined May 2010
United States120 Posts
January 11 2012 09:03 GMT
#152
On January 10 2012 20:36 kestry wrote:
TL Name: kestry
What you know: Konglish (Pororo level vocab. Korean speaking level is not very good. And writing is 똥. Recently leveled up reading speed to be a bit faster than a 5 year old.
Goals: Fluency! Increase vocabulary.... Want to be able to have natural conversations with my boyfriend and his Korean friends. And understand TV shows and SC2 commentators and would be nice to use Naver for my questions and recipe needs.

Hi, learnkorean.com has a nice and quick breakdown of the pronunciation rules on Lesson 1-3.

(complex final consonant excerpt):
NB) Final consonant clusters: ㄳ, ㄵ, ㄶ, ㄺ, ㄻ, ㄼ, ㄽ, ㄾ, ㄿ, ㅀ, ㅄ

Except for ㄺ, ㄻ, ㄼ, ㄽ, ㄾ, ㄿ, ㅀ (ones with ㄹ placed befre another consonant), when followed by another consonant or nothing, the second consonant of the cluster becomes silent. This second consonant will come alive when there is a vowel after it.

값 = kap "price"

값 + 과 = kap kwa "price and"

값 + 이 = kapsi "price (with a subject particle)"



No, I was told by a native speaker that there are some exceptions to that rule. re-read my post for an example
Silentness
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States2821 Posts
January 11 2012 10:16 GMT
#153
On January 11 2012 09:54 taemin_jjang wrote:
Yh i know ! Google translate gives you the wrong translation!

Best thing is to get a phrase book. This is how Im learnt korean:
First I watched korean dramas, this is good for conversation and pronounciation. Iv picked up the language and can understand some korean without subtitles.
Secondly,I suggest learning the hangul characters, downloading the hangul keyboard app was extremely helpful.
. Also frequently use rosseta stone (it teaches the language using picture association). Lastly, but if you want to increase your vocab-listen to kpop and learn it.



You can only imagine how frustrated I get when my wife tries to use google translator for long Korean paragraphs because she doesn't want to tell me in English.

I'm gradually learning more and more Korean, but mainly I do it on my own because my wife doesn't like teaching me. Every now and then I ask her to explain some words or help me with pronunciation, but most of my learning is self taught.
GL HF... YOLO..lololollol.
Baobab
Profile Joined October 2010
Korea (South)153 Posts
January 11 2012 10:54 GMT
#154
On January 11 2012 09:54 taemin_jjang wrote:
Yh i know ! Google translate gives you the wrong translation!

Best thing is to get a phrase book. This is how Im learnt korean:
First I watched korean dramas, this is good for conversation and pronounciation. Iv picked up the language and can understand some korean without subtitles.
Secondly,I suggest learning the hangul characters, downloading the hangul keyboard app was extremely helpful.
. Also frequently use rosseta stone (it teaches the language using picture association). Lastly, but if you want to increase your vocab-listen to kpop and learn it.


Can you (or anyone else) recommend a good Korean drama? I'd like to start watching, but have no idea what's good, and I'd rather not watch some soap opera-type thing :/
한국어 배우고 있어요 ... 너무 어려우니까 도와주세요 ㅋㅋㅋ
blahman3344
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States2015 Posts
January 11 2012 15:40 GMT
#155
This link doesn't have lessons for all the hangul characters, but I still find it very useful:
http://www.learnlangs.com/RWP/Korean/Korean - Lesson 1.htm

it has exercises for each character it introduces, so you can build on what you know.
I like haikus and / I can not lie. You other / brothers can't deny
B.I.G.
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
3251 Posts
January 11 2012 17:29 GMT
#156
On January 11 2012 10:48 [Agony]x90 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 11 2012 10:38 scintilliaSD wrote:
On January 11 2012 10:11 B.I.G. wrote:
just a quick (noob) question, but what would be the informal form of 합니다 ? for some reason i cant find it :/

I think it would just be 해.


Yup.

Also, I wanted to add that in general, you should avoid learning vocabulary conjugated in honorific (습니다). It's a lot more useful to learn the dictionary form (다) and to learn the proper way to conjugate it from there.

As a rule of thumb, to figure out what the informal form is, take the dictionary form, conjugate it to formal (어요/아요) form and then just drop the 요. I suggest learning/thinking this way because then you learn the two most commonly used conjugation forms at once.

good tip, thank you very much. as i understand the honorific form is not uused when speaking?
mblaq_si
Profile Joined January 2012
Great Britain19 Posts
January 11 2012 18:05 GMT
#157
On January 11 2012 19:54 Baobab wrote:

.


Can you (or anyone else) recommend a good Korean drama? I'd like to start watching, but have no idea what's good, and I'd rather not watch some soap opera-type thing :/[/QUOTE]


okay, let me think......the ones iv watched in the summer were secret garden. I insist you watch city hunter ...so daebak!!! its got action, spy, crime etc. your gonna love it! And its not a soap/opera drama.


(p.s this post isnt off topic since i learnt quite a lot of conversational korean phrases from that drama =D. example:
oppa, beh go-pah-yo= oppa im hungry
omo ottokae'' = omg, what do i do
''oppa joahe= i like you
bollayo= i dont know
chongmal= really ?
''What blood type are you? '' Type ReaL ! XD
Left4Cookies
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Denmark803 Posts
January 11 2012 18:46 GMT
#158
www.HaruKorean.com is the subsite of TTMIK and even though it costs money to use, I find it very good since they use the same lessons as TTMIK does and after you've read/heard each lesson, you get the chance to write some of it yourself and the site's staff will correct you/cheer at you. Awesome stuff.

I learned to read/write Korean on www.BusyAtom.com. There's also a lot of grammar stuff on that site, but I only used it for Hangul. Highly recommended since he's extremely methodical and repeats himself a lot, which is really the only way you can learn it.

I would love to get the chance to talk with others in Korean, since my main (current) main motivation is that I'm going to Korea this summer, and I can only imagine that even though you spend hours and hours on learning the language, you'll still need training actually using it before it turns out good..

TL Name: Left4Cookies
Real name (optional): Thomas
Skype: khaine775
How are you fluent: I can read/write Hangul and speak minimal Korean. My main problem is a total lack of a vocabulary.
What help are you willing to offer: A few hours a day.

Engineering's like math. But LOUDER!
Baobab
Profile Joined October 2010
Korea (South)153 Posts
January 12 2012 13:11 GMT
#159
On January 12 2012 03:05 taemin_jjang wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 11 2012 19:54 Baobab wrote:

.


Can you (or anyone else) recommend a good Korean drama? I'd like to start watching, but have no idea what's good, and I'd rather not watch some soap opera-type thing :/



okay, let me think......the ones iv watched in the summer were secret garden. I insist you watch city hunter ...so daebak!!! its got action, spy, crime etc. your gonna love it! And its not a soap/opera drama.


(p.s this post isnt off topic since i learnt quite a lot of conversational korean phrases from that drama =D. example:
oppa, beh go-pah-yo= oppa im hungry
omo ottokae'' = omg, what do i do
''oppa joahe= i like you
bollayo= i dont know
chongmal= really ?
[/QUOTE]

Thanks, that sounds great actually, I'll check it out
한국어 배우고 있어요 ... 너무 어려우니까 도와주세요 ㅋㅋㅋ
Spekulatius
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany2413 Posts
January 12 2012 13:34 GMT
#160
Korean dramas are over there >>> linku.

One of the most annoying things about Korean are the different kinds of romanization. The official Korean one, the McCune-Reischauer, the Yale one. Sometimes I read a romanized word and don't know what the heck it's supposed to mean or how it's supposed to be pronounced without knowing which romanization is being used. They should really come up with a spelling that makes sense.

ex. 부산 is pronounced Pusan yet spelt Busan in the official Korean transcription.

It's a system made for foreigners to be able to pronounce Korean terms so why not make it easy for them? <.<
Always smile~
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 20 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 8h 26m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Hyuk 53
NaDa 14
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm247
LuMiX0
Other Games
summit1g9362
JimRising 684
ViBE146
ArmadaUGS97
Mew2King94
Trikslyr29
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1265
BasetradeTV163
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream121
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 114
• davetesta55
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
8h 26m
INu's Battles
10h 26m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
13h 26m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
17h 26m
BSL Open Qualifier
17h 26m
Replay Cast
21h 26m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 8h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 9h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 14h
Replay Cast
1d 21h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.