• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:54
CEST 18:54
KST 01:54
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site BSL Season 23 Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings BW General Discussion Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8425 users

TL Learn Korean Thread - Page 20

Forum Index > TL Community
Post a Reply
Prev 1 18 19 20 All
sabas123
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Netherlands3122 Posts
January 11 2015 04:42 GMT
#381
On January 07 2015 06:42 QuickStriker wrote:
I feel everyone feel to neglect the most important factor when learning a new language that is not the language itself but the culture and society behind that language country.

Before you attempt to learn Korean to an advanced/master level, you have to understand why the society/culture/perception is like that to understand the proper context of the language.

I feel like isn't really necessary since you learn a lot about the way people think through the language already. although it does help. But I haven't reached that level with a foreign language besides English.

I found this site and it helped me with learning basic Korean,

http://www.howtostudykorean.com/
The harder it becomes, the more you should focus on the basics.
GTR
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
51695 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-01-11 09:35:21
January 11 2015 09:35 GMT
#382
On January 06 2015 19:20 LimitSEA wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 06 2014 21:03 GTR wrote:
Hopefully going on exchange to Korea next year will help solve some of my issues speaking/writing Korean frequently.

Should do. How long are you there for? Even just going for a month helped my Korean jump in leaps and bounds.


I'll be attending Korea University for a whole year. Will probably be doing ESPORTS stuff on the side to complement my exchange.
Commentator
sabas123
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Netherlands3122 Posts
January 11 2015 19:18 GMT
#383
how good has your Korean to be to start doing esports stuff?
The harder it becomes, the more you should focus on the basics.
Growiel
Profile Joined October 2010
Korea (South)363 Posts
January 12 2015 07:05 GMT
#384
On January 11 2015 18:35 GTR wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 06 2015 19:20 LimitSEA wrote:
On October 06 2014 21:03 GTR wrote:
Hopefully going on exchange to Korea next year will help solve some of my issues speaking/writing Korean frequently.

Should do. How long are you there for? Even just going for a month helped my Korean jump in leaps and bounds.


I'll be attending Korea University for a whole year. Will probably be doing ESPORTS stuff on the side to complement my exchange.


Let me know when you get there, I'm currtenly doing pretty much the same, but at Seoul National University.
StarCraft II for ever.
Glueburn
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States496 Posts
May 18 2017 23:07 GMT
#385
Hey guys! With the help of the site listed above: http://www.howtostudykorean.com/
I have been slowly trying to learn some Korean.

Considering the fact that Fish is now an official server, I'm deeply interested in trying to get some games in on there, and using it as a tool to both get better at StarCraft and learn some Korean! I've started using Anki, and been looking up various words that I figure I'd see on Bnet, but considering the fact that starting out in any new language is very overwhelming, my progress has been terrible.

I haven't actually played a game on the server yet, because I've heard there are certain rules to adhere too, and I'm so rusty at BW that I don't want to get destroyed just yet, but I intend to ladder on it regularly as the summer progresses, especially as Remastered comes out. Considering how constant the Korean Afreeca streams are, and how entrenched the SC community is in Korea, perhaps we shall see lots of people picking up Korean! So with that, I'm bumping this thread.
Sometimes you have to play a long time to be able to play like yourself. - Miles Davis
rotta
Profile Joined December 2011
5653 Posts
May 19 2017 13:21 GMT
#386
Here's a free lesson:

don't wall off against random
CrymeaTerran
Profile Joined May 2017
149 Posts
May 19 2017 13:21 GMT
#387
The

Motivation/Success Stories part is empty till this date, , years over years to learn Korean is not that funny for me.


Sziky = Love
c3rberUs
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Japan11799 Posts
May 19 2017 13:51 GMT
#388
I've been thinking of taking up some Korean recently (again). Thanks for bumping this thread!

If you want a real lesson then here's one
+ Show Spoiler +
WriterMovie, 진영화 : "StarCraft will never die".
B-royal
Profile Joined May 2015
Belgium1330 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-05-19 14:27:43
May 19 2017 14:25 GMT
#389
Korean is very fun to learn but it seems impossible to understand slang unless you are friends with a few native speakers.

Whenever I open an afreeca stream nowadays I also pay attention to the chat window but there's too many abbreviations and slang. I also haven't found an easy way to look up korean slang/abbreviations online. A decade ago or more, or even now, I found/find it very easy to look up English slang terms and abbreviations. Does anyone know of something like Urban dictionary for Korean :D

edit: for example, what does ㄱㅌㄱ mean?
new BW-player (~E rank fish) twitch.tv/crispydrone || What plays 500 games a season but can't get better? => http://imgur.com/a/pLzf9 <= ||
c3rberUs
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Japan11799 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-05-19 16:12:02
May 19 2017 16:11 GMT
#390
I think that's a matter of perspective. For example, I don't think you'll find stuff like FD, FFE, TBLS, SBG, KTY in regular places unless you know where to look already. And yeah learning slang is really kinda hard when you don't converse a lot with native speakers. I think difficulty with learning abbreviations and slang is always attached to learning any language in general, we just tend to be biased to the languages we already know so you think it's simpler.
WriterMovie, 진영화 : "StarCraft will never die".
Ilikestarcraft
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
Korea (South)17743 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-05-22 06:53:31
May 22 2017 06:43 GMT
#391
On May 19 2017 23:25 B-royal wrote:
Korean is very fun to learn but it seems impossible to understand slang unless you are friends with a few native speakers.

Whenever I open an afreeca stream nowadays I also pay attention to the chat window but there's too many abbreviations and slang. I also haven't found an easy way to look up korean slang/abbreviations online. A decade ago or more, or even now, I found/find it very easy to look up English slang terms and abbreviations. Does anyone know of something like Urban dictionary for Korean :D

edit: for example, what does ㄱㅌㄱ mean?

From looking online http://m.ygosu.com/board/st/172554/?page=213
It means God Larva(가통구 - 갓홍구)
ils
"Nana is a goddess. Or at very least, Nana is my goddess." - KazeHydra
Zaros
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United Kingdom3692 Posts
May 23 2017 14:10 GMT
#392
Read through Mizu’s phonetic Korean guides they were very good and I seem to have the hang of it so thank you for those, might try learn some basic Korean now.
Glueburn
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States496 Posts
June 27 2017 22:10 GMT
#393
I'm amazed at how slow it is to memorize words and such in Korean. I can generally sound out and phonetically go through words, but dedicating them to memory is a lot harder than any words with a romantic script. Anki has been valuable, of course, but I need to redo my deck. I've had better luck with associating words with pictures than to a direct English Translation, so perhaps I'll be doing that.

On a similar note, does anyone know how to have Anki cards where you type in the answer? I saw how you do it in general, but it doesn't seem to work very well for Korean, does anyone have a solution?

And as an aside, this thread has been an incredible help with StarCraft related things: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/brood-war/93316-the-korean-terminology-thread
Sometimes you have to play a long time to be able to play like yourself. - Miles Davis
Atom[Bomb]
Profile Joined July 2015
Sweden108 Posts
June 28 2017 21:10 GMT
#394
I've been learning korean for 1.5 years now. Read and practice the "Howtostudykorean" lessons.
Put all vocabulary words of the lessons in Anki, also add any additional words you want to remember and practice your deck daily.

Finally meet koreans, best and fastest way to learn.
Keep at it and you will succeed!
KungKras
Profile Joined August 2008
Sweden484 Posts
September 01 2017 18:41 GMT
#395
안녕하세요!

I've been learning korean for half a year now. My strategy so far has been to practice a little using smartphone apps every day. Progress is slow, but I've managed to make it a daily routine that I never break, which is good. I haven't learned much grammar, but my vocabulary is growing.
So far it's mostly been memrise and 'learn korean' (the latter has good sections on grammar but has annoying ads), and I'm waiting for duolingo's course to release. Are there any other good ones out there?
"When life gives me lemons, I go look for oranges"
Nal_CrayOn
Profile Joined December 2004
600 Posts
September 03 2017 23:35 GMT
#396
anyone gonna visit Korea this winter? we can definitely go to pc cafe together and play some sc while teaching how to speak in Korean~
#1 Pharmacist zerg~ =]
c3rberUs
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Japan11799 Posts
September 05 2017 10:37 GMT
#397
^ Damn, that sounds like a real SC nerd's dream.
WriterMovie, 진영화 : "StarCraft will never die".
GTR
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
51695 Posts
September 05 2017 13:16 GMT
#398
My Korean is so fucking behind right now since I left Korea. Waiting for Duolingo to support Korean in a few weeks time then I'll probably pick it back up.
Commentator
CaucasianAsian
Profile Blog Joined September 2005
Korea (South)11601 Posts
September 16 2017 01:56 GMT
#399
i'll; be in korea i'm always down to meet up TL people.
Calendar@ Fish Server: `iOps]..Stark
SoleSteeler
Profile Joined April 2003
Canada5472 Posts
September 20 2017 18:25 GMT
#400
I did a lot of self-study with the immersion of living in Korea for about 5.5 years. Wasnt that good but better than most other foreigners I met living there...

Since moving back to Canada in 2015 Ive felt my level drop pretty quick. But went to Seoul last year and I was happy how quickly it came back speaking with my wife's family.

I dont know how a lot of you folks study without living in Korea. The immersion helped so much. Constantly surrounded by it...

If I wasnt mostly studying for job-related stuff I would love to start studying again ㅜㅜ
Prev 1 18 19 20 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
FEL
01:00
ScienceCraft Qualifier
IndyStarCraft 176
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 595
IndyStarCraft 170
BRAT_OK 50
MindelVK 21
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 26101
Shuttle 1182
Hyuk 663
Mini 434
firebathero 187
hero 95
Sexy 87
Mong 51
Liquid`Ret 49
ggaemo 48
[ Show more ]
Killer 47
Trap 44
Hyun 44
PianO 31
ToSsGirL 25
zelot 16
Rock 15
ajuk12(nOOB) 10
Bale 10
Sacsri 7
Dota 2
Gorgc9981
qojqva1704
Dendi948
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1396
crisheroes1232
Liquid`Hasu675
Other Games
FrodaN1911
singsing1829
fl0m1536
Beastyqt689
Mlord492
Hui .254
Livibee173
Liquid`VortiX153
ArmadaUGS146
KnowMe126
Mew2King57
Trikslyr38
Grubby35
CosmosSc2 15
ToD6
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream43
Other Games
gamesdonequick0
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 45
• mYiSmile126
• Adnapsc2 16
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki15
• Michael_bg 12
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 8363
Other Games
• Shiphtur308
• WagamamaTV204
Upcoming Events
AI Arena Tournament
6m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2h 6m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
17h 6m
INu's Battles
19h 6m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
22h 6m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 2h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 2h
Replay Cast
1d 7h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 17h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 18h
[ Show More ]
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 23h
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.