• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:32
CEST 10:32
KST 17:32
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War605.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
TL Sidebar missing streams [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Rollback Netcode in Brood War Sagi.gg Launcher Released BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7979 users

Mechanical Keyboard Guide - Page 274

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 272 273 274 275 276 383 Next
Sovano
Profile Joined November 2011
United States1503 Posts
April 11 2013 13:54 GMT
#5461
Alas I think this is why most of us who's been with mechanical keyboards for a long time now do not recommend Razer keyboards. I do hear slight clicky sounds in the F9 and F10 keys in the first video, and the F10 key in the second video seems to get a bit better while the F9 remains the same. I had a similar problem with one of my blue switch keyboards before, but AFTER my brother had spilled orange juice on it. I would ask to get that replaced, it's not really a big deal unless you have to ship it back (which then it becomes a headache). As for the USB issue, it's most likely either a bad batch with a terrible usb port on the back of the keyboard or in general a problem with most like some Rosewills had as well. There's really nothing we can fix about that, unless if it's the actual USB end and not the mini-port end that is being disturbed, you may be able to solve that issue by connecting it to a USB hub and then connecting that hub to your desktop/laptop's usb port. Although if the mini-port is the issue, then there isn't a way around that.
Mackem
Profile Joined May 2011
United Kingdom470 Posts
April 11 2013 14:18 GMT
#5462
I'm having trouble finding anywhere that has the CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid in MX Reds UK ISO layout. Anyone know where I can get one that actually has them in stock?
Do you need a pole? I ask because your logical leaps are becoming logical vaults and your mental gymnastics are Olympic standard.
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20169 Posts
April 11 2013 15:42 GMT
#5463
I'm looking to replace my work keyboard with a mechanical keyboard so i'll need something that's quieter than my rosewill blue keybaord. Is there something I can do to make it quiet or is there a keyboard someone could recommend more appropriate for the work environment?

(also taking suggestions on mouses/pads/other electronic office shit if anyone has any!)
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
Blaec
Profile Joined April 2010
Australia4289 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-11 15:55:02
April 11 2013 15:54 GMT
#5464
On April 12 2013 00:42 decafchicken wrote:
I'm looking to replace my work keyboard with a mechanical keyboard so i'll need something that's quieter than my rosewill blue keybaord. Is there something I can do to make it quiet or is there a keyboard someone could recommend more appropriate for the work environment?

(also taking suggestions on mouses/pads/other electronic office shit if anyone has any!)


You can make your blue switch keyboard a little bit quieter with o-rings, it reduces the noise of you bottoming out.

This video demonstrates

That's probably not quiet enough though so just look for a brown, black or red switch keyboard, they are all much quieter than blues. The video also shows that pretty well (reds sound the same as blacks).
Ropid
Profile Joined March 2009
Germany3557 Posts
April 11 2013 16:06 GMT
#5465
You could go for a keyboard with brown switches and use o-rings to muffle the noise from bottoming-out. wasdkeyboards.com has three different o-ring types if I remember right. I don't know how important choosing the softer o-rings is for getting a quieter keyboard.

With that setup, it still won't be completely quiet. There's still a good amount of noise (in my opinion) from the up motion of the keys if you move your hands fast and do not let your fingers rest on the keys you've just hit.

If you don't know brown switches, they feel a bit like your current blue switches with the inside of the switch being dirty. The o-rings add to that dirt feeling.
"My goal is to replace my soul with coffee and become immortal."
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20169 Posts
April 11 2013 16:12 GMT
#5466
Thanks for the link. I like my blues, maybe i'll look into getting o-rings for them if i don't feel like biting the bullet on another keyboard (although i kinda want one with media keys)

Whats the difference between red and black? which one would be better for using all day at work?
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
Blaec
Profile Joined April 2010
Australia4289 Posts
April 11 2013 16:13 GMT
#5467
On April 12 2013 01:06 Ropid wrote:
You could go for a keyboard with brown switches and use o-rings to muffle the noise from bottoming-out. wasdkeyboards.com has three different o-ring types if I remember right. I don't know how important choosing the softer o-rings is for getting a quieter keyboard.

With that setup, it still won't be completely quiet. There's still a good amount of noise (in my opinion) from the up motion of the keys if you move your hands fast and do not let your fingers rest on the keys you've just hit.

If you don't know brown switches, they feel a bit like your current blue switches with the inside of the switch being dirty. The o-rings add to that dirt feeling.


Great minds think alike.

Also, that is a great description of brown switches.
Blaec
Profile Joined April 2010
Australia4289 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-11 16:59:05
April 11 2013 16:15 GMT
#5468
On April 12 2013 01:12 decafchicken wrote:
Thanks for the link. I like my blues, maybe i'll look into getting o-rings for them if i don't feel like biting the bullet on another keyboard (although i kinda want one with media keys)

Whats the difference between red and black? which one would be better for using all day at work?


Reds are lighter versions of blacks. Both linear, so there is no feedback.

No sound difference between them, blacks are pretty heavy so can tire your fingers out but reds are very light so mean more mistakes, its all opinion.
Rankith
Profile Joined August 2010
United States78 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-12 01:54:12
April 12 2013 01:48 GMT
#5469
So Im gonna be getting a new keyboard. Pretty sure I've settled on MX Brown switches.

However, I am having a tough time deciding on which keyboard to go with? Anyone got feed back on these:

Logitech G710+ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126299
CM Storm Quickfire Pro: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823129003
CM Storm Trigger: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823129004
Rosweill RK9100BR: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201053

The CM Storm quickfire is on sale and ridic cheap right now, hence its on the list. The minus there for me is I like backlighting, but the only backlighting that offers is near WASD and I don't like the partial stuff.

I tend to like logitech, so am leaning towards that one right now, but looking for feedback on it as well as the CMs and Rosewill if anyone has an opinion on a comparison between those, they are al aroud the same price right now.

Also was considering getting the Prime keyboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823162020
More expensive, but price isnt much an an issue, I just cant find any good reviews on it really.
Hokay
Profile Joined May 2007
United States738 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-12 06:11:33
April 12 2013 06:01 GMT
#5470
I bought the 710+ when it was on sale for $99 because I wanted an LED lit mechanical keyboard with dedicated macro keys, and media buttons. The 710+ comes with rubber o-rings under each keycap that dampen the sound when you bottom out a key. You can remove the o-rings for a more standard feel, or for a more audible typing experience. The macro software that you get off the logitech website is pretty slick and easy to use. The dedicated media buttons are very convenient to instantly mute your computer, switch music tracks or adjust the volume while you are in a game. I love the dedicated media keys and volume roller.

As for the cons, I find the keyboard to be unnecessarily too wide. They should have shaven the sides to save some table room. I don't really like the orange strip on the left and plan to paint it black once my warranty expires. The capslock and other status LED lights on the top right do not scale with the dimmer options. They are too bright , and they may bother you depending how dark your room is, but they don't bother me anymore. The coating on the keys seem great but I don't know how long they'll last, so we'll see about that. The problem with LED backlit mechanical keyboards is that your replacement keycap options are very, very, very limited in options if you want light to shine through them.

Overall I have no regrets buying the 710+ for $99. I really enjoy the features of the keyboard, but feel like the quality could be better in some areas; but I don't lug it around or travel with the 710+ so that isn't an issue at all. If I didn't need the macro keys, I woud have gotten a Ducky Shine II for $150 which is probably superior in quality over any other LED backlit keyboard on the market.

Blaec
Profile Joined April 2010
Australia4289 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-12 06:52:39
April 12 2013 06:46 GMT
#5471
On April 12 2013 10:48 Rankith wrote:
So Im gonna be getting a new keyboard. Pretty sure I've settled on MX Brown switches.

However, I am having a tough time deciding on which keyboard to go with? Anyone got feed back on these:

Logitech G710+ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126299
CM Storm Quickfire Pro: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823129003
CM Storm Trigger: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823129004
Rosweill RK9100BR: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201053

The CM Storm quickfire is on sale and ridic cheap right now, hence its on the list. The minus there for me is I like backlighting, but the only backlighting that offers is near WASD and I don't like the partial stuff.

I tend to like logitech, so am leaning towards that one right now, but looking for feedback on it as well as the CMs and Rosewill if anyone has an opinion on a comparison between those, they are al aroud the same price right now.

Also was considering getting the Prime keyboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823162020
More expensive, but price isnt much an an issue, I just cant find any good reviews on it really.


Didn't know Rosewill did backlit, but check to see if their backlit model has the removable usb cable issues (extraordinarily fragile and prone to failure) that plague the other Rosewills, otherwise they are pretty good afaik.
Also looking at Rosewill feedback, the lights are extremely bright.

The CMs are all decent but its definitely worth checking out the Ducky Shine 2. Its abit more expensive but you get a huge range of led colours and all the switch types to choose from (provided they are in stock).

Prime keyboard is just a TT meka G1, afaik its ok, no backlighting though.
Rankith
Profile Joined August 2010
United States78 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-12 07:18:30
April 12 2013 07:15 GMT
#5472
Ya I just liked the prime because it was colorful .

Hokay, does the logitech feel alot different then other mx browns due to the extra oring? It is indeed right around $99 right now, so a good deal, but I really want that satisfying typing feel
Blaec
Profile Joined April 2010
Australia4289 Posts
April 12 2013 07:22 GMT
#5473
On April 12 2013 16:15 Rankith wrote:
Ya I just liked the prime because it was colorful .

Hokay, does the logitech feel alot different then other mx browns due to the extra oring? It is indeed right around $99 right now, so a good deal, but I really want that satisfying typing feel


o-rings reduce the key travel a little bit and if you bottom out you feel the rubber and this rubber reduces the noise of it bottoming out. If you don't bottom out then it is no different.

And if you don't like the o-rings then you can remove them, it is a little time consuming but easy. The logitech is a good choice if you like the design.
Rockafella
Profile Joined August 2010
United Kingdom291 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-12 08:47:52
April 12 2013 08:29 GMT
#5474
On April 11 2013 23:18 Mackem wrote:
I'm having trouble finding anywhere that has the CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid in MX Reds UK ISO layout. Anyone know where I can get one that actually has them in stock?



The TK is very very similar to the Rapid except it has a full numpad and backlighting, my friend got his at iSeries after seing mine. I have the Rapid red, the build quality is very similar and the price is the same making it the better buy all round.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/cooler-master-cm-storm-quickfire-tk-abs-grip-coated-mechanical-backlit-cherry-red-gaming-keyboard-10

If you are determined to get a Rapid then there are some on ebay but only with the US layout usually looks like they have been mostly phased out for the TK by the looks of things.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/cooler-master-cm-storm-quickfire-rapid-mechanical-cherry-red-mx-gaming-keyboard was where I bought mine.
kuruptt
Profile Joined August 2012
Canada168 Posts
April 12 2013 08:50 GMT
#5475
I'm so happy I got the rapid. It definitely is a god tier mechanical keyboard. Especially when I got mine with red switches. The black keyboard and red colors are amazing =p. Can't beat this price for the quality you get! Almost a year and going strong.
Thor.Rush
Profile Joined April 2011
Sweden702 Posts
April 12 2013 11:30 GMT
#5476
I just got my quickfire rapid brown switches and my only complaint is that the spacebar is too loud.
| SaSe | Naniwa |Stephano | LucifroN | Mvp | MarineKing | ByuN | Polt | MC | Parting |
IceBergZ
Profile Joined September 2012
Malaysia176 Posts
April 12 2013 13:49 GMT
#5477
On April 11 2013 22:54 Sovano wrote:
Alas I think this is why most of us who's been with mechanical keyboards for a long time now do not recommend Razer keyboards. I do hear slight clicky sounds in the F9 and F10 keys in the first video, and the F10 key in the second video seems to get a bit better while the F9 remains the same. I had a similar problem with one of my blue switch keyboards before, but AFTER my brother had spilled orange juice on it. I would ask to get that replaced, it's not really a big deal unless you have to ship it back (which then it becomes a headache). As for the USB issue, it's most likely either a bad batch with a terrible usb port on the back of the keyboard or in general a problem with most like some Rosewills had as well. There's really nothing we can fix about that, unless if it's the actual USB end and not the mini-port end that is being disturbed, you may be able to solve that issue by connecting it to a USB hub and then connecting that hub to your desktop/laptop's usb port. Although if the mini-port is the issue, then there isn't a way around that.


give to dealer ask for upgrade
upgrading to ducky shine 2 tkl
thanks for all the help
the razer tournament edition keyboard I have is faulty, they open a new unit to confirm the usb port loose but the f9 f10 is the same on the next keyboard fresh from box idk why.
JinDesu
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States3990 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-12 14:10:03
April 12 2013 14:08 GMT
#5478
Would like to provide my experience at this point.

I have a Filco tenkeyless Cherry MX blue from about 2 years ago at home for gaming use. There has been some chattering occasionally on some keys, but I attribute that to my dusty room. It's been generally perfect for use, and solid as a rock. I've brought it to some events and never had any issues.

I bought a Razer Blackwidow Stealth Tournament Edition for my work use during the big Razer sale. Got it for about $60 bucks. The build quality is nice, and the feel of the brown keys are fantastic. What sucks is:

1) The Razer Synapse configurator. Synapse requires me to be online to access my profiles. While I can run in offline mode, there was an error with my online profile that prevented me from creating any new keyboard configurations. Instead, I had one keyboard configuration, and a bunch of "blank" ones. Not only could I not create new configurations, I could not delete the blank ones. It took about 3 weeks with Razer support to allow me to create new configurations, but I still cannot delete the blank ones.

2) The Tournament Edition comes with a detachable USB cord. It's a nice feature, but having not put this keyboard through any difficult travel, it should not have any problems with the USB cord/connection. Alas, today when I decided to move my keyboard back a bit to get some working space, it decided to disconnect itself. I finally got it reconnected after wiggling the cable a bit, but it's not entirely reliable. Seems like this is a common issue from the previous posts.

So - lessons learned. Even on sale, Razer is NOT worth it.
Yargh
Rankith
Profile Joined August 2010
United States78 Posts
April 12 2013 18:43 GMT
#5479
hmmm, ok slept on it, im now stuck deciding between the logitech g710 or the cm storm trigger.

Anyone have experience with the trigger and have feedback? Also, is the logitech backlight only white? White is meh
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20169 Posts
April 12 2013 18:51 GMT
#5480
brought my mech keyboard to work. god it feels so much better especially after extended use
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
Prev 1 272 273 274 275 276 383 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 28m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 4260
Leta 2655
Soulkey 491
BeSt 477
Soma 263
Rush 146
Killer 44
ZergMaN 29
Shine 28
Shinee 22
[ Show more ]
Hm[arnc] 12
Dota 2
XcaliburYe222
League of Legends
JimRising 583
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King75
Other Games
WinterStarcraft718
Sick280
Pyrionflax57
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV222
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 6
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Sammyuel 38
• 3DClanTV 18
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2330
League of Legends
• Jankos1873
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1h 28m
Patches Events
6h 28m
BSL Open Qualifier
10h 28m
BSL Open Qualifier
10h 28m
OSC
14h 28m
OSC
1d 3h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.