• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:29
CEST 13:29
KST 20:29
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup5StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BSL Season 23 BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10775 users

Mechanical Keyboard Guide - Page 135

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 133 134 135 136 137 383 Next
Zx_Storm
Profile Joined November 2010
United States49 Posts
May 03 2012 06:57 GMT
#2681
On May 03 2012 15:52 Brandisimo wrote:
Hello all, I am a master rank terran and I frequently watch lastshadows stream and he said that investing in a mechanical keyboard was a mistake as it weakens the tendens in your fingers and can lead to damage. Now I was thinking of buying a mechanical keyboard for gaming but if it is going to cause damage to the tendons in my fingers then I def dont want to buy one. So my question is, is he right? Does it cause damage? Or is he far off base?

Thank You!


I think its a problem with the switches that you have to press down more on (blacks?) A friend of my friend, who bought a keyboard with blacks got RSI (Repetitive Strain Injury) using his mechanical keyboard (with blacks) playing SC2. But beyond that I don't really know.
Blaec
Profile Joined April 2010
Australia4289 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-03 07:27:46
May 03 2012 07:24 GMT
#2682
On May 03 2012 15:52 Brandisimo wrote:
Hello all, I am a master rank terran and I frequently watch lastshadows stream and he said that investing in a mechanical keyboard was a mistake as it weakens the tendens in your fingers and can lead to damage. Now I was thinking of buying a mechanical keyboard for gaming but if it is going to cause damage to the tendons in my fingers then I def dont want to buy one. So my question is, is he right? Does it cause damage? Or is he far off base?

Thank You!


There are two reasons a mech board might damage your fingers (I stress 'might', as I doubt it would occur in most cases).

The first is the travel distance, cherry switches (the majority of mech boards) have 4mm between their normal position and bottoming out, but they actuate at about 2mm. When playing sc2 you tend to bottom out alot so you are moving about 4mm with each key. This is more than most normal rubber dome keyboards, so perhaps this could cause damage. Im not a finger specialist, so I don't know.

The other reason would be the force needed to push down the keys. A black switch keyboard is about 60g at actuatioon which is among the more heavy rubber dome keyboards, but the black switch does get more resistant the further you go down so at bottoming out, it could be at 80 (not sure on this).

So if you were used to a fairly light rubber dome keyboard, and you went and got a black switch mech board then it could be significantly heavier and higher travel so maybe it could cause damage.
BUT
You can get lighter switches, all cherry switches are lighter than blacks, reds are 45-60g, some keys on variable topres are even lighter.
You could also put o-rings onto your mech board to reduce the travel distance, maybe 1mm?

So to conclude, maybe a mech board could be more damaging to your fingers than a regular board. I doubt lastshadow is lying (why would he), but if you choose the right mech board for you I think it would be very unlikely for you to suffer damage to your fingers that would not have occured with a regular keyboard.

edit: out of interest do you know which mechanical keyboard lastshadow bought?
slytown
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Korea (South)1411 Posts
May 03 2012 08:22 GMT
#2683
On May 03 2012 16:24 Blaec wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 03 2012 15:52 Brandisimo wrote:
Hello all, I am a master rank terran and I frequently watch lastshadows stream and he said that investing in a mechanical keyboard was a mistake as it weakens the tendens in your fingers and can lead to damage. Now I was thinking of buying a mechanical keyboard for gaming but if it is going to cause damage to the tendons in my fingers then I def dont want to buy one. So my question is, is he right? Does it cause damage? Or is he far off base?

Thank You!


There are two reasons a mech board might damage your fingers (I stress 'might', as I doubt it would occur in most cases).

The first is the travel distance, cherry switches (the majority of mech boards) have 4mm between their normal position and bottoming out, but they actuate at about 2mm. When playing sc2 you tend to bottom out alot so you are moving about 4mm with each key. This is more than most normal rubber dome keyboards, so perhaps this could cause damage. Im not a finger specialist, so I don't know.

The other reason would be the force needed to push down the keys. A black switch keyboard is about 60g at actuatioon which is among the more heavy rubber dome keyboards, but the black switch does get more resistant the further you go down so at bottoming out, it could be at 80 (not sure on this).

So if you were used to a fairly light rubber dome keyboard, and you went and got a black switch mech board then it could be significantly heavier and higher travel so maybe it could cause damage.
BUT
You can get lighter switches, all cherry switches are lighter than blacks, reds are 45-60g, some keys on variable topres are even lighter.
You could also put o-rings onto your mech board to reduce the travel distance, maybe 1mm?

So to conclude, maybe a mech board could be more damaging to your fingers than a regular board. I doubt lastshadow is lying (why would he), but if you choose the right mech board for you I think it would be very unlikely for you to suffer damage to your fingers that would not have occured with a regular keyboard.

edit: out of interest do you know which mechanical keyboard lastshadow bought?


Um, he's far off base. I don't know what to else to say.
The best Flash meme ever: http://imgur.com/zquoK
Blaec
Profile Joined April 2010
Australia4289 Posts
May 03 2012 08:28 GMT
#2684
On May 03 2012 17:22 slytown wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 03 2012 16:24 Blaec wrote:
On May 03 2012 15:52 Brandisimo wrote:
Hello all, I am a master rank terran and I frequently watch lastshadows stream and he said that investing in a mechanical keyboard was a mistake as it weakens the tendens in your fingers and can lead to damage. Now I was thinking of buying a mechanical keyboard for gaming but if it is going to cause damage to the tendons in my fingers then I def dont want to buy one. So my question is, is he right? Does it cause damage? Or is he far off base?

Thank You!


There are two reasons a mech board might damage your fingers (I stress 'might', as I doubt it would occur in most cases).

The first is the travel distance, cherry switches (the majority of mech boards) have 4mm between their normal position and bottoming out, but they actuate at about 2mm. When playing sc2 you tend to bottom out alot so you are moving about 4mm with each key. This is more than most normal rubber dome keyboards, so perhaps this could cause damage. Im not a finger specialist, so I don't know.

The other reason would be the force needed to push down the keys. A black switch keyboard is about 60g at actuatioon which is among the more heavy rubber dome keyboards, but the black switch does get more resistant the further you go down so at bottoming out, it could be at 80 (not sure on this).

So if you were used to a fairly light rubber dome keyboard, and you went and got a black switch mech board then it could be significantly heavier and higher travel so maybe it could cause damage.
BUT
You can get lighter switches, all cherry switches are lighter than blacks, reds are 45-60g, some keys on variable topres are even lighter.
You could also put o-rings onto your mech board to reduce the travel distance, maybe 1mm?

So to conclude, maybe a mech board could be more damaging to your fingers than a regular board. I doubt lastshadow is lying (why would he), but if you choose the right mech board for you I think it would be very unlikely for you to suffer damage to your fingers that would not have occured with a regular keyboard.

edit: out of interest do you know which mechanical keyboard lastshadow bought?


Um, he's far off base. I don't know what to else to say.


Yeh, but best to say that with facts.
JiYan
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States3668 Posts
May 03 2012 08:59 GMT
#2685
you guys are scaring me as i just got blacks T_T
EdenPLusDucky
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
571 Posts
May 03 2012 09:12 GMT
#2686
On May 03 2012 17:59 JiYan wrote:
you guys are scaring me as i just got blacks T_T


Blacks are fine, you just need to tilt the keyboard in the direction that your fingers can hit the keys without much effort.
Blaec
Profile Joined April 2010
Australia4289 Posts
May 03 2012 10:02 GMT
#2687
On May 03 2012 17:59 JiYan wrote:
you guys are scaring me as i just got blacks T_T


dw, unless you have weak fingers you will be fine. Much of the pros sponsored by Steelseries use blacks and none of their fingers have fallen off.

That said, blacks aren't for everyone.
Gluon
Profile Joined April 2011
Netherlands425 Posts
May 03 2012 10:18 GMT
#2688
On May 03 2012 19:02 Blaec wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 03 2012 17:59 JiYan wrote:
you guys are scaring me as i just got blacks T_T


dw, unless you have weak fingers you will be fine. Much of the pros sponsored by Steelseries use blacks and none of their fingers have fallen off.

That said, blacks aren't for everyone.

Yeah, I wouldn't be too worried. Untill Lastshadow or someone provides any evidence at all, this feels a bit overdramatic.
Administrator
Shikyo
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Finland33997 Posts
May 03 2012 10:49 GMT
#2689
Have tried blacks again recently and they still feel incredibly stiff to me and made my fingers sore after just a few minutes .-. Especially my pinky fingers made me scared enough to stop typing. Maybe my fingers are weak ;s But even with strong fingers I believe that the less strain the better, after all you're going to be using it for a long time many hours a day... I guess that's why I use Topre Realforce as my primary keyboard but it's a bit iffy for most people
League of Legends EU West, Platinum III | Yousei Teikoku is the best thing that has ever happened to music.
Ameisenmann
Profile Joined April 2012
Albania296 Posts
May 03 2012 13:15 GMT
#2690
On May 03 2012 19:49 Shikyo wrote:
Have tried blacks again recently and they still feel incredibly stiff to me and made my fingers sore after just a few minutes .-. Especially my pinky fingers made me scared enough to stop typing. Maybe my fingers are weak ;s But even with strong fingers I believe that the less strain the better, after all you're going to be using it for a long time many hours a day... I guess that's why I use Topre Realforce as my primary keyboard but it's a bit iffy for most people

I experienced the same with blacks. But I really do have kinda weak fingers, even tough I'm typing all day pretty much. But for the same reason I can't afford to use a keyboard that puts even more stress onto them and I'm not sure how long it would take to adapt, seeing that many people say that you stop noticing the difference after a while. I feel that another important factor is ergonomics. Unfortunately my desk is too tall and I can't do much to change it and I feel that this has a huge impact on how stiff the keys feel, having to type in a slighty awkward angle etc.
furlyman
Profile Joined September 2011
55 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-03 16:46:02
May 03 2012 16:14 GMT
#2691
So I have been using my Zowie Celeritas for about 2 months now and have really enjoyed it so far, even having to get used to the different feel of the spacebar. However, now after a few months of gaming my spacebar gets stuck in the down position and generally just works like shit (adds extra space, gets stuck in the down position, ect). I play FPS games like CS as well and it is very noticeable in this types of games (i'l hit space and nothing will happen or it will try to spam jump). I really dont want to have to RMA this keyboard so I am trying to figure out a way to stop the spacebar from getting stuck (no i have never spill anything, slammed it, ect). Any suggestions?

Edit: Sent an RMA request to have Zowie send me a new spacebar, will see if they send me one that isnt terrible.
exousia_7
Profile Joined December 2011
Taiwan215 Posts
May 03 2012 16:58 GMT
#2692
I personally feel that blacks are just fine. I've tried reds before and they r just too light for me so I chose black keys over reds. I also have a blues keyboard so I can change back and forth depending on my mood.... im used to both kinds of switches by now.
JiYan
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States3668 Posts
May 03 2012 17:50 GMT
#2693
oo, being used to both blues and blacks seem like a difficult thing to accomplish ahah
Event
Profile Joined May 2010
France10 Posts
May 03 2012 19:12 GMT
#2694
I tried blacks and blues and altough I prefer blues for typing, I feel more confortable playing StarCraft with blacks.
AgentChaos
Profile Joined July 2011
United Kingdom4569 Posts
May 03 2012 22:20 GMT
#2695
hey guys im looking for a mechanical keyboard price around £50~£75
this will be my first mechanical keyboard and i have no idea where to start , looking at the op post all the stores are from us, if someone can direct me to a website that sell keyboard in uk/eu would be much appreciated
IM & EG supporter
.Wilsh.
Profile Joined January 2010
United States133 Posts
May 03 2012 22:39 GMT
#2696
Got my WASD keyboard today!! It's got brown switches and I loooove it!!

Sorry the quality of the picture... it doesn't do the keyboard justice. I might post a better image later.

[image loading]
gEzUS
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Canada371 Posts
May 03 2012 23:11 GMT
#2697
LoL im by no means a huge guy, i have pretty slender fingers, and i dont get how you guys think black keys are so hard to press down. I mean honestly ive used bucling springs my whole life, and i jsut got some blacks, and they are fantastic for typing, i get ZERO fatigue........

haters gonna hate !
Shikyo
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Finland33997 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-03 23:56:32
May 03 2012 23:55 GMT
#2698
On May 04 2012 08:11 gEzUS wrote:
LoL im by no means a huge guy, i have pretty slender fingers, and i dont get how you guys think black keys are so hard to press down. I mean honestly ive used bucling springs my whole life, and i jsut got some blacks, and they are fantastic for typing, i get ZERO fatigue........

haters gonna hate !

You seriously prefer blacks over bucklings for typing? O_O

The thing is I used to have wrist issues and I'm really afraid of carpal tunnel and similiar conditions. I also think buckling spring has 20 times better feel than blacks
League of Legends EU West, Platinum III | Yousei Teikoku is the best thing that has ever happened to music.
slytown
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Korea (South)1411 Posts
May 04 2012 03:57 GMT
#2699
On May 04 2012 08:11 gEzUS wrote:
LoL im by no means a huge guy, i have pretty slender fingers, and i dont get how you guys think black keys are so hard to press down. I mean honestly ive used bucling springs my whole life, and i jsut got some blacks, and they are fantastic for typing, i get ZERO fatigue........

haters gonna hate !


Dido. Blacks for life. I need to get on some buckling springs though. One of these days I'll shoot for a Unicomp probably.
The best Flash meme ever: http://imgur.com/zquoK
Blaec
Profile Joined April 2010
Australia4289 Posts
May 04 2012 04:02 GMT
#2700
On May 04 2012 07:39 .Wilsh. wrote:
Got my WASD keyboard today!! It's got brown switches and I loooove it!!

Sorry the quality of the picture... it doesn't do the keyboard justice. I might post a better image later.

[image loading]


Great design, the centralised letters look amazing.
Prev 1 133 134 135 136 137 383 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
INu's Battles
20:00
INu's Battles#21
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
IntoTheiNu 587
LiquipediaDiscussion
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19:00
Weekly #149 (SHIN Mod Edition)
Krystianer vs YoungYakovLIVE!
ByuN vs AqueroN
CranKy Ducklings164
CranKy Ducklings SOOP24
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 21402
Shuttle 11410
FanTaSy 1795
Hyuk 925
Horang2 577
BeSt 499
Mini 257
Stork 256
Pusan 240
Killer 136
[ Show more ]
EffOrt 134
Zeus 127
Last 123
Mind 98
ggaemo 67
Hyun 60
sorry 52
PianO 45
Snow 39
Bale 33
Sea.KH 31
ToSsGirL 30
JYJ 27
Hm[arnc] 26
Aegong 21
zelot 14
Sacsri 10
ajuk12(nOOB) 7
Noble 4
Dota 2
XcaliburYe411
Counter-Strike
fl0m2022
byalli967
x6flipin241
Other Games
gofns27588
singsing2825
B2W.Neo663
ArmadaUGS85
Mew2King59
Livibee6
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick731
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream72
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 6
• FirePhoenix2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
3h 31m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
7h 31m
BSL Open Qualifier
7h 31m
Replay Cast
11h 31m
Afreeca Starleague
22h 31m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
23h 31m
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 4h
Replay Cast
1d 11h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 22h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 23h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.