• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:54
CEST 12:54
KST 19:54
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)39Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work?
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7507 users

Simple Questions Simple Answers - Page 257

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 255 256 257 258 259 653 Next
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-01 19:41:58
January 01 2013 19:35 GMT
#5121
Actually, they generally do come off, the specific hows are usually different, but they went on, they come off. The only question is the specifics. And generally, it's not an in-depth procedure.

Actually, with further looking, those may be more nightmarish to take off.

http://www.crucial.com/pdf/productFlyer/Ballistix_Elite_ProductFlyer_Letter-EN.pdf

I've never even heard of something this ludicrous before, it's got to be purely for marketing.

Ballistix Elite modules utilize integrated heat spreaders to showcase one of the best
DRAM features available – the Ballistix M.O.D. utility for real time temperature
monitoring.


It would certainly be the first one I've heard of where it won't come off easily.

Even so, I really doubt this is something that's actually not removable, because if it was some bleeding edge thing that's integrated into the design of the actual DIMM, I'd expect it not to be the cheapest shit on the planet.
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
January 01 2013 19:48 GMT
#5122
They probably just mean that they have some junky software that you can run to look at RAM temperatures. Just like you see RAM temperatures in other utilities. It's not like the RAM has some proprietary Crucial-only USB / wireless connection to send sensor data.

Elite, yo.
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-01 19:49:41
January 01 2013 19:48 GMT
#5123
http://www.techreaction.net/2011/04/26/review-crucial-ballistix-ddr3-with-thermal-monitoring/3/

Here you go. Removeable.

On January 02 2013 04:48 Myrmidon wrote:
They probably just mean that they have some junky software that you can run to look at RAM temperatures. Just like you see RAM temperatures in other utilities. It's not like the RAM has some proprietary Crucial-only USB / wireless connection to send sensor data.

Elite, yo.


Yeah was kinda what was running through my mind, but until I'm sure, I like to caveat shit.
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-02 00:31:30
January 02 2013 00:27 GMT
#5124
On January 02 2013 04:35 JingleHell wrote:
Actually, they generally do come off, the specific hows are usually different, but they went on, they come off. The only question is the specifics. And generally, it's not an in-depth procedure.

Actually, with further looking, those may be more nightmarish to take off.

http://www.crucial.com/pdf/productFlyer/Ballistix_Elite_ProductFlyer_Letter-EN.pdf

I've never even heard of something this ludicrous before, it's got to be purely for marketing.

Show nested quote +
Ballistix Elite modules utilize integrated heat spreaders to showcase one of the best
DRAM features available – the Ballistix M.O.D. utility for real time temperature
monitoring.


It would certainly be the first one I've heard of where it won't come off easily.

Even so, I really doubt this is something that's actually not removable, because if it was some bleeding edge thing that's integrated into the design of the actual DIMM, I'd expect it not to be the cheapest shit on the planet.


dude i really dont care how removable they are. I'm sure when there's a will there's a way but this has nothing to do with what I'm even asking.


They probably just mean that they have some junky software that you can run to look at RAM temperatures. Just like you see RAM temperatures in other utilities. It's not like the RAM has some proprietary Crucial-only USB / wireless connection to send sensor data.

Elite, yo.


I don't trust temperature sensors, so for me, any sort of included temperature monitoring or diodes are worthless. I have my own discrete temperature diodes and a temperature sensor. That, and RAM really doesn't get hot at all unless your ramping 1.8+ volts on it (granted, I'm okay with doing that, but most ICs just don't appreciate that much voltage). It's also very simple to stick a thermal diode into RAM.

I just want to know - isn't RAM spec'd 1866mhz CL9 vs 1600mhz CL8 exactly the same thing? Since Speed + Timings is a give and take thing, that's why the JEDEC specs always say like higher/lower speeds with looser/tighter timings at a given bandwidth, and in overclocking you could ramp speed all the way up but it'd require loosened timings and vice versa.

Am i just not understanding RAM correctly, or do you guys just totally not get what I'm saying? Clearly no one knows the answer but like am I the only one confused here?

How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-02 00:34:54
January 02 2013 00:32 GMT
#5125
On January 02 2013 09:27 Belial88 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 02 2013 04:35 JingleHell wrote:
Actually, they generally do come off, the specific hows are usually different, but they went on, they come off. The only question is the specifics. And generally, it's not an in-depth procedure.

Actually, with further looking, those may be more nightmarish to take off.

http://www.crucial.com/pdf/productFlyer/Ballistix_Elite_ProductFlyer_Letter-EN.pdf

I've never even heard of something this ludicrous before, it's got to be purely for marketing.

Ballistix Elite modules utilize integrated heat spreaders to showcase one of the best
DRAM features available – the Ballistix M.O.D. utility for real time temperature
monitoring.


It would certainly be the first one I've heard of where it won't come off easily.

Even so, I really doubt this is something that's actually not removable, because if it was some bleeding edge thing that's integrated into the design of the actual DIMM, I'd expect it not to be the cheapest shit on the planet.


dude i really dont care how removable they are. I'm sure when there's a will there's a way but this has nothing to do with what I'm even asking.


You mean the one that was already answered? Or are you too busy looking for a fight to read posts? The peripheral information about the fact that they can be removed was done as a courtesy, since you're usually obsessed with absolute minimum prices, I told you that you can get the cheapest one and get the heat spreaders out of the way.

You were asking what the differences were. That was answered. You commented about the heat spreaders being a potential issue, which I had anticipated and commented on, that was answered. Your response at that point is to demonstrate an utter incapacity for human interaction.




I don't trust temperature sensors, so for me, any sort of included temperature monitoring or diodes are worthless. I have my own discrete temperature diodes and a temperature sensor. That, and RAM really doesn't get hot at all unless your ramping 1.8+ volts on it (granted, I'm okay with doing that, but most ICs just don't appreciate that much voltage). It's also very simple to stick a thermal diode into RAM.

I just want to know - isn't RAM spec'd 1866mhz CL9 vs 1600mhz CL8 exactly the same thing? Since Speed + Timings is a give and take thing, that's why the JEDEC specs always say like higher/lower speeds with looser/tighter timings at a given bandwidth, and in overclocking you could ramp speed all the way up but it'd require loosened timings and vice versa.

Am i just not understanding RAM correctly, or do you guys just totally not get what I'm saying? Clearly no one knows the answer but like am I the only one confused here?



You've been answered already, with the most specific answer you can receive. This goes back to you refusing to accept information, or read answers fully before looking for trouble. The 1600 C8 and 1866 C9 aren't 100% interchangeable settings, but they frequently will be. That's the ONLY answer that can be responsibly given.
Womwomwom
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
5930 Posts
January 02 2013 00:55 GMT
#5126
RAM overclocking was and has always been the worst thing ever because you basically never know what the problem is. Is it the CPU? The timings? The frequency? The voltage? I know what you want to do but you get absolutely nothing out of it unless you're running an AMD APU and using the integrated graphics.

For Sandy Bridge, you want faster frequencies than timings. In most games and applications, 9-9-9-24 will perform exactly the same as 7-7-7-20 while 1600mhz will give you a more noticeable (as in not at all) improvement over 1333mhz.

For your question regarding interchangeable settings, no one really knows. Depends on the RAM you get I guess, the only real answer is that making the timings looser will probably give you more frequency headroom. There isn't really a 100% correlation between timings and frequencies...something already answered.
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-02 01:10:06
January 02 2013 01:07 GMT
#5127
For RAM ratings, speed vs. timing, it should depend on how the ICs and the transistors inside them respond at a low level, at given voltage, operating frequency, temperature (which is sample dependent). We're operating (non-ECC) RAM with enough margins that probability of bit errors, getting a 0 flipped to 1 or vice versa, are extremely low. Overclocking just reduces those margins, for those that want more speed at the expense of stability and higher power / temperatures / etc. Ask for the data too quickly (i.e. what happens if you overclock it too much or turn the timings too tight), and once in a while, maybe not enough electrons hopped on over to the right place in time, and you get an error.

I think the rating is just some advertised spec or some kind of guarantee. Chips may or may not be capable of more. In some unscrupulous cases, they can't do as advertised.

Looking at just the required timing, there's really not a huge difference between 8 clocks (also check other timings than CAS latency) at 1600 MHz and 9 clocks at 1866 MHz. That's 5ns vs. 4.82ns, with the lower latency obviously being better. Also note that peak transfer rate of RAM at 1866 MHz would be higher, so it should be better overall. Thus the 1866 MHz CL9 RAM is rated more stringently, as that's harder to do than 1600 MHz CL8.

In practice, many ICs capable of one setting are also capable of another. The same RAM brand might be using chips from the same source, same rating, maybe even same batch (?) for their packaged 1866 MHz CL9 kits as their 1600 MHz CL8 kits. Who knows.
Blisse
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada3710 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-02 01:47:21
January 02 2013 01:45 GMT
#5128
Have any of you tried Lucid Virtu MVP? It sounds interesting.
There is no one like you in the universe.
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
January 02 2013 04:54 GMT
#5129
On January 02 2013 10:45 Blisse wrote:
Have any of you tried Lucid Virtu MVP? It sounds interesting.


where did you see it was interesting? Everywhere i've searched said it was useless, buggy, and terrible.

i think a few might have had some luck with using the igpu dedicated as 2nd monitor, but i could be wrong on that. general concensus ive seen is that it's worthless.

id love to be wrong though, i havent used it.
How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
January 02 2013 05:11 GMT
#5130
You mean the one that was already answered? Or are you too busy looking for a fight to read posts? The peripheral information about the fact that they can be removed was done as a courtesy, since you're usually obsessed with absolute minimum prices, I told you that you can get the cheapest one and get the heat spreaders out of the way.

You were asking what the differences were. That was answered. You commented about the heat spreaders being a potential issue, which I had anticipated and commented on, that was answered. Your response at that point is to demonstrate an utter incapacity for human interaction.


Only thing i said about heatspreaders was that they don't really do anything. I don't care about heatspreaders. It also turns out that fancy heatspreader+ ram turns out to be cheaper than any sort of valuram, as usually is because they tend to go on special sales. Heatspreaders had nothing to do with my questions, I did not say heat spreaders were a potential issue I said if both the ram were exactly the same I'd probably go with the one with the less obnoxious heatspreaders but it was such a nonissue.

I have never seen a cooler that was ram incompatible, anyways. The most offensive and obtrustive cooler you can simply mount the fan slightly raised up, anyways.

this is such a derailment dude, please, forget i said anything about heatspreaders. I dont see where you saw I said any question about them or that it was a pressing issue, over the stuff about 1600cl8 vs 1866cl9. just please stop trolling me everytime i make a post, damn.

RAM overclocking was and has always been the worst thing ever because you basically never know what the problem is. Is it the CPU? The timings? The frequency? The voltage? I know what you want to do but you get absolutely nothing out of it unless you're running an AMD APU and using the integrated graphics.


i know, right. I had a hell of a time trying to figure out why my phenom with missing and bent pins wasn't working no matter the clock or voltage and consistently failing at 8 hours (and yet not even failing if i set p95 to the specific fft it kept failing at, most people dont even test more than 3 hours too) to find out that 2 of the ram slots were 'bad', yet these 2 ram slots worked just fine for 2 years and on multiple 24+ hour tests of prime95 when I had an athlon ii cpu in there.

just makes no logical sense. did 10+ hours of memtest86+ testing on each dimm, with differing ram sticks and configurations...

I have heard that intel gets a noticeable improvement with faster ram, a more appeciable increase than amd does with tighter timings, and while it isn't much I enjoy overclocking and such so I'd like to push my ram as far as I can. And I'd like to push a high, 1.8+ voltage on them too this time around (ram is so cheap...), given that 1.7-1.8 is usually the max safe limit for most ICs (granted I'd have to check which ICs the ram i end up getting has, and it's limits, and if it even appreciates such high voltage as most ram doesnt care).

on an interesting note, H264 codec actually really appreciates higher speeds, even on AMD systems, it's the one thing that speed>timing on AMD, so I imagine on intel increasing your bandwidth actually might do something for streaming setups.

For your question regarding interchangeable settings, no one really knows. Depends on the RAM you get I guess, the only real answer is that making the timings looser will probably give you more frequency headroom. There isn't really a 100% correlation between timings and frequencies...something already answered.


Thanks. No one really answered this, actually, I only got a few responses saying either ram overclocking doesnt mean much (i already know that) and that 1600cl8 vs 1866cl9 isnt going to feel any different or be any noticeable difference. It didn't answer whether it was exactly the same thing, or not, which is what I was asking - isn't 1600mhzCL8 1.5v exactly the same as 1866mhzCL9 1.5v, like it's just the same stick of ram being sold at a different specification, because the 'load' is basically the same (whereas 1600mhzCL8 1.5 to 1866mhzCL7 1.5v would obviously be a better stick).

Silicon lottery, overclocking, and luck aside, of course. And I'm aware it's really all about the IC's, and potentially a 1333mhzCL9 1.5 rated ram could be much better overclocker and ram in general than some 1600mhz ram. Which I'll look into, of course.

Just a bit confusing when you got ram that's 1866mhzCL9 1.5v, and 1600mhz CL8 1.5v, for the exact same price. I mean really, which one would YOU end up buying? I would think the 1866mhzCL9 would run better on intel, but the 1600mhz could probably reach there if you loosened the timing (or is the timing not so much load? maybe its more like 1700mhzCL8=1866CL9, right?).

I think the rating is just some advertised spec or some kind of guarantee. Chips may or may not be capable of more. In some unscrupulous cases, they can't do as advertised.


yea i know. some 1333mhz kit just might overclock way better, i know. it was just a sort of general question. unless you got something to say about crucial ballistix ICs, i havent looked into it much (what ram is the cheapest changes every day at newegg).

Looking at just the required timing, there's really not a huge difference between 8 clocks (also check other timings than CAS latency) at 1600 MHz and 9 clocks at 1866 MHz. That's 5ns vs. 4.82ns, with the lower latency obviously being better. Also note that peak transfer rate of RAM at 1866 MHz would be higher, so it should be better overall. Thus the 1866 MHz CL9 RAM is rated more stringently, as that's harder to do than 1600 MHz CL8.

In practice, many ICs capable of one setting are also capable of another. The same RAM brand might be using chips from the same source, same rating, maybe even same batch (?) for their packaged 1866 MHz CL9 kits as their 1600 MHz CL8 kits. Who knows.


thanks, very direct response. I'll just look more into the specific models of the ram rather than look at their specs. specs end up being useless half the time anyways. imagine if you could find 3570ks rated at 5.2ghz or just 4.5ghz.
How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
Womwomwom
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
5930 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-02 06:36:51
January 02 2013 06:31 GMT
#5131
1.8V for what? Sandy Bridge (you are upgrading to Sandy Bridge right)? You've got to be stupid to do so, its not remotely safe at all. The one voltage that Intel specifically notes would be RAM voltage:

What are the Intel® Core™ i7 desktop processor DDR3 memory voltage limitations?
Intel® recommends using memory that adheres to the Jedec memory specification for DDR3 memory which is 1.5 volts, plus or minus 5%. Anything more than this voltage can damage the processor or significantly reduce the processor life span.


I don't care what enthusiasts on Overclock.net say, they've never been sensible. Even Intel community liaisons say the same thing on enthusiast forums.

As for the RAM I would buy, the only thing I care about is size, pricing, and voltage in some cases. 1600mhz is about the biggest gain, if you can call it that, Sandy Bridge gets from overclocked memory. It won't be anything you can notice unlike overclocking a processor or getting a $100 more expensive video card.
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-02 20:55:25
January 02 2013 20:54 GMT
#5132
2 simple questions in regards to quickening boot times:

1. Is it possible to skip the "Starting Windows (7)" screen?:
[image loading]

the one with the 4 colored balls animation rotating around into the windows logo

2. Is it possible to skip the AHCI initiatlization screen:

[image loading]

The 3 dots load up, 1, 2 3, and then its over.

These 2 screens take up the longest loading times. I'm not sure about the AHCI one, but the windows one doesnt seem to get any slower or faster regardless of my processor or processor/nb/ram speed or ssd vs hdd.

I only recently started getting the AHCI one when I changed from onchip sata channel native ide to AHCI (or might be when i changed the registry to boot in ahci).

phenom x4 oc'd
kingston hyperx blue 1333mhz cl9 1.5v ram 2x2gb
intel x25-m g2 80gb ssd
biostar a770e3
antec earthwatts 430d
w7 ultimate
How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-02 21:00:35
January 02 2013 20:59 GMT
#5133
On January 02 2013 15:31 Womwomwom wrote:
1.8V for what? Sandy Bridge (you are upgrading to Sandy Bridge right)? You've got to be stupid to do so, its not remotely safe at all. The one voltage that Intel specifically notes would be RAM voltage:

Show nested quote +
What are the Intel® Core™ i7 desktop processor DDR3 memory voltage limitations?
Intel® recommends using memory that adheres to the Jedec memory specification for DDR3 memory which is 1.5 volts, plus or minus 5%. Anything more than this voltage can damage the processor or significantly reduce the processor life span.


I don't care what enthusiasts on Overclock.net say, they've never been sensible. Even Intel community liaisons say the same thing on enthusiast forums.

As for the RAM I would buy, the only thing I care about is size, pricing, and voltage in some cases. 1600mhz is about the biggest gain, if you can call it that, Sandy Bridge gets from overclocked memory. It won't be anything you can notice unlike overclocking a processor or getting a $100 more expensive video card.


no, for amd. From what I understand, ram voltages directly affect the cpu, as in it's being fed into it or something, so I'm aware it would be unsafe to do so. I just know that ram itself is safe to run at 1.7-1.8v, but from my limited understanding, it would be dangerous to run vdimm like that on an intel system. Dont worry, im aware there's issues there and im still a long ways away before i'd be actually messing with vdimms on an intel system.

Although i've heard that it might be okay to run high vdimms, it's not so much high vdimm that's the problem on intel, it's that you gotta keep ram voltage within a certain range of another voltage (the imc or something). Anyways, im not asking for answers on this or anything, when it gets to overvolting RAM I'll be sure to do things right and such. I'm simply saying I know ram, itself, can be overvolted to such levels. On AMD it's perfectly okay to run such high ram volts, as in it won't end up feeding the cpu additional volts too.

I am aware that intel recommends +/- 5% on 1.5v, so max of 1.575v, and that most people say 1.65 is the most to run ram on an intel system. Dont worry, the evil overclockers at OCN aren't saying anything like that. I know they're the enemy.

My question in regards to RAM was more about which would you pick if the choice was 2 identical brands/classes of RAM, 1866CL9 vs 1600CL8. I've got my answer already (or as much as I can get here).
How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
Blisse
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada3710 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-02 21:02:03
January 02 2013 21:01 GMT
#5134
On January 02 2013 13:54 Belial88 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 02 2013 10:45 Blisse wrote:
Have any of you tried Lucid Virtu MVP? It sounds interesting.


where did you see it was interesting? Everywhere i've searched said it was useless, buggy, and terrible.

i think a few might have had some luck with using the igpu dedicated as 2nd monitor, but i could be wrong on that. general concensus ive seen is that it's worthless.

id love to be wrong though, i havent used it.



Yeah... I said it sounded interesting. How does Virtual Vsync and HyperFormance not sound interesting?

From a couple forum posts, I've read Virtual Vsync is very helpful for frame rates, but HyperFormance whacks out on some games.

I'm asking if it's actually as interesting as it sounds, or is that all there is. ~.~
There is no one like you in the universe.
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
January 02 2013 21:08 GMT
#5135
http://www.pcsnippets.com/tutorials/how-to-disable-the-startup-splash-screen-in-windows-7/10

Presto, disable windows splash screen. I found it on google. Took entire seconds.
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
January 02 2013 21:20 GMT
#5136
On January 03 2013 06:08 JingleHell wrote:
http://www.pcsnippets.com/tutorials/how-to-disable-the-startup-splash-screen-in-windows-7/10

Presto, disable windows splash screen. I found it on google. Took entire seconds.


Thanks. Didn't think to search 'splash screen'.
How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
January 02 2013 22:12 GMT
#5137
I got another simple question since I think I minorly screwed things up and forgot what i was even doing. I'm still curious if there's a way to reduce the ahci init... screen too.

I have 2x2gb=4gb of ram. I'm supposed to use 2x virtual memory, i believe, right. im supposed to set maxed page file size to 8192, right, and what do i set initialize size too?

I went by that stupid corsair ssd optimization pdf which turned out to be useless and based on the bad original ssds when they were worse than hdd (the stuff like removing system services and page file when that advice isn't true anymore and is just myths).

im sure this is an easy search but not sure what to search, i think i originally changed my virtual memory to 8k+ based on some sc2 related thread, the whole paged pool memory issue.
How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
Womwomwom
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
5930 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-03 07:40:31
January 03 2013 07:33 GMT
#5138
With SSDs, you should not don't touch anything. Windows will do everything, all other "SSD tweeks" are basically useless in the grand scheme of things. The only two things you want to check is if TRIM is working and if the SSD has defragging turned off.

Page file should be around half your system memory if you really want to reduce it to save space, the default values are kind of nuts if you have a lot of RAM. So if you have 8GB, you set it at 4GB. Just some trivia but Windows 8 already does this automatically now. If you have 8GB of RAM, it'll basically automatically set the page file to be 4GB.
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-03 12:35:19
January 03 2013 11:50 GMT
#5139
On January 03 2013 16:33 Womwomwom wrote:
With SSDs, you should not don't touch anything. Windows will do everything, all other "SSD tweeks" are basically useless in the grand scheme of things. The only two things you want to check is if TRIM is working and if the SSD has defragging turned off.

Page file should be around half your system memory if you really want to reduce it to save space, the default values are kind of nuts if you have a lot of RAM. So if you have 8GB, you set it at 4GB. Just some trivia but Windows 8 already does this automatically now. If you have 8GB of RAM, it'll basically automatically set the page file to be 4GB.


yea, i basically undid all the ssd optimization stuff I read after reading a few 'ssd optimization myth busting guide' threads.

But I did reduce boot timeout to 3 (from 30), removed the w7 splash screen, reduced shutdown time, reduced mouse hover pop-up time (makes it feel more responsive). I think the intel ssd program disabled prefetch/superfetch on it's own, and enabled trim on its own (i checked with the cmd query).

I have 4GB of RAM and I'm not sure where I read this, I'm pretty sure it was like a teamliquid thing, I'm having a very hard time searching what I originally saw, but it said for 4gb of RAM, you should set it to 8gb of virtual memory, or basically 2x your physical ram.

edit: I'm using w7
How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
Womwomwom
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
5930 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-03 12:07:36
January 03 2013 12:06 GMT
#5140
That would be Microsoft and historically, I believe the value they recommended for XP was 1.5x.

SSD didn't exist during that time, only very slow hard drives (holy shit Matrox drives). I can't remember what Windows 7 does but Windows 8 is generally smart enough to automatically "optimise" your SSD right down to the page file. In most cases, I believe it sees the SSD and gives you a page file that is half the size of the amount of memory you have.
Prev 1 255 256 257 258 259 653 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
The PondCast
10:00
Episode 111
CranKy Ducklings32
CranKy Ducklings SOOP13
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech124
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 2724
Bisu 1107
Jaedong 697
Horang2 657
Hyuk 487
BeSt 471
actioN 277
Light 257
firebathero 238
Zeus 206
[ Show more ]
Stork 169
Leta 140
EffOrt 126
Sexy 107
Soma 98
Last 97
ZerO 84
Soulkey 84
Pusan 67
Rush 58
Killer 46
ggaemo 43
Mong 39
Mind 36
Aegong 33
Shinee 33
soO 30
hero 30
ToSsGirL 24
Bale 21
Terrorterran 19
sorry 17
PianO 16
Sharp 15
Mini 15
Yoon 12
NaDa 11
Free 10
HiyA 10
JulyZerg 9
Noble 7
Shine 3
ajuk12(nOOB) 3
Dota 2
Fuzer 110
League of Legends
Reynor50
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1467
shoxiejesuss758
x6flipin204
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King155
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor2132
crisheroes451
Other Games
gofns34890
singsing1840
XBOCT307
DeMusliM186
Livibee103
ArmadaUGS99
QueenE47
B2W.Neo26
ZerO(Twitch)11
Liquid`LucifroN1
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream312
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH310
• LUISG 34
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2276
Upcoming Events
OSC
2h 7m
Stellar Fest
2h 7m
OSC
13h 7m
Stellar Fest
1d 2h
CranKy Ducklings
1d 23h
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
[ Show More ]
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.