• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:55
CEST 00:55
KST 07:55
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9100 users

Simple Questions Simple Answers - Page 146

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 144 145 146 147 148 653 Next
yann
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
119 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-29 16:29:35
May 29 2012 16:24 GMT
#2901
On May 30 2012 01:21 TheToast wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 30 2012 01:09 yann wrote:
Hello, I am looking for a Windows notebook which has the best quality integrated webcam (possibly for recording videos in 30FPS).

Is there anything better than Samsung 9 Series?


Lol, yes. 9 series only comes with a 1.3 MP webcam standard, it's also $1000 and has shit hardware. Ultra books are a terrible value for what you get. HP offers a number of models with a 2mp webcam.

But this is the absolute worst thing to base buying a laptop on. Most video chat software is going to compress the image anyway, so any additional quality you get from a 2mp webcam is lost anyway. If you're planning on doing vlogs or recordings, get a real webcam. Far more cost effective, you'll have a better webcam for the same price, and you won't be spending money on an overpriced POS laptop just to get a decent webcam.


Thanks a lot! Your advice helped me! GG

Still, say I found e.g. HP 625 XT960UT Notebook which has 2.0 Mpix webcam. How do I know it can handle recording videos in -say- 1024x768 at 30FPS?

I understand your point with the external webcam and stuff, but still I would like to know if I can get an all-in-one solution (no matter the cost)?
My life for Aiur!
Jizla
Profile Joined July 2011
Scotland235 Posts
May 29 2012 19:51 GMT
#2902
Just a quick question, (probably a stupid one but I'm gonna ask it anyway lol).

I've got a TV hooked up to my comp through a HDMI cable into my GPU (GTX 560 Ti) which I use for watching live streams films etc on a bigger screen. The video works fine but my question is, is there a way to get the sound to output down a HDMI thats being output from the graphics card? I know I could probably just use another cable coming straight from the motherboard but the TV is on the other side of the room so I would rather not if there was another way.

Thanks in advance TL Tech Gurus!!
Vanished.... Like a wrinkly ninja.....
TheToast
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4808 Posts
May 29 2012 20:23 GMT
#2903
On May 30 2012 01:24 yann wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 30 2012 01:21 TheToast wrote:
On May 30 2012 01:09 yann wrote:
Hello, I am looking for a Windows notebook which has the best quality integrated webcam (possibly for recording videos in 30FPS).

Is there anything better than Samsung 9 Series?


Lol, yes. 9 series only comes with a 1.3 MP webcam standard, it's also $1000 and has shit hardware. Ultra books are a terrible value for what you get. HP offers a number of models with a 2mp webcam.

But this is the absolute worst thing to base buying a laptop on. Most video chat software is going to compress the image anyway, so any additional quality you get from a 2mp webcam is lost anyway. If you're planning on doing vlogs or recordings, get a real webcam. Far more cost effective, you'll have a better webcam for the same price, and you won't be spending money on an overpriced POS laptop just to get a decent webcam.


Thanks a lot! Your advice helped me! GG

Still, say I found e.g. HP 625 XT960UT Notebook which has 2.0 Mpix webcam. How do I know it can handle recording videos in -say- 1024x768 at 30FPS?

I understand your point with the external webcam and stuff, but still I would like to know if I can get an all-in-one solution (no matter the cost)?


Well, 2 megapixle would be a max resolution of about 1600x1200, I would think it should be able to do 30FPS pretty easily. Though all web cams are not built the same, picture quality would depend on the camera. My guess is laptop manufacturers use the cheapest possible models they can get.

Buying a really nice external webcam is pretty much going to be the best solution.

On May 30 2012 04:51 jimthelege wrote:
Just a quick question, (probably a stupid one but I'm gonna ask it anyway lol).

I've got a TV hooked up to my comp through a HDMI cable into my GPU (GTX 560 Ti) which I use for watching live streams films etc on a bigger screen. The video works fine but my question is, is there a way to get the sound to output down a HDMI thats being output from the graphics card? I know I could probably just use another cable coming straight from the motherboard but the TV is on the other side of the room so I would rather not if there was another way.

Thanks in advance TL Tech Gurus!!


Depends on the video device. Most support it, but you'll need to set it as the default audio playback device within control panel.
I like the way the walls go out. Gives you an open feeling. Firefly's a good design. People don't appreciate the substance of things. Objects in space. People miss out on what's solid.
Jizla
Profile Joined July 2011
Scotland235 Posts
May 29 2012 20:38 GMT
#2904
On May 30 2012 05:23 TheToast wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 30 2012 01:24 yann wrote:
On May 30 2012 01:21 TheToast wrote:
On May 30 2012 01:09 yann wrote:
Hello, I am looking for a Windows notebook which has the best quality integrated webcam (possibly for recording videos in 30FPS).

Is there anything better than Samsung 9 Series?


Lol, yes. 9 series only comes with a 1.3 MP webcam standard, it's also $1000 and has shit hardware. Ultra books are a terrible value for what you get. HP offers a number of models with a 2mp webcam.

But this is the absolute worst thing to base buying a laptop on. Most video chat software is going to compress the image anyway, so any additional quality you get from a 2mp webcam is lost anyway. If you're planning on doing vlogs or recordings, get a real webcam. Far more cost effective, you'll have a better webcam for the same price, and you won't be spending money on an overpriced POS laptop just to get a decent webcam.


Thanks a lot! Your advice helped me! GG

Still, say I found e.g. HP 625 XT960UT Notebook which has 2.0 Mpix webcam. How do I know it can handle recording videos in -say- 1024x768 at 30FPS?

I understand your point with the external webcam and stuff, but still I would like to know if I can get an all-in-one solution (no matter the cost)?


Well, 2 megapixle would be a max resolution of about 1600x1200, I would think it should be able to do 30FPS pretty easily. Though all web cams are not built the same, picture quality would depend on the camera. My guess is laptop manufacturers use the cheapest possible models they can get.

Buying a really nice external webcam is pretty much going to be the best solution.

Show nested quote +
On May 30 2012 04:51 jimthelege wrote:
Just a quick question, (probably a stupid one but I'm gonna ask it anyway lol).

I've got a TV hooked up to my comp through a HDMI cable into my GPU (GTX 560 Ti) which I use for watching live streams films etc on a bigger screen. The video works fine but my question is, is there a way to get the sound to output down a HDMI thats being output from the graphics card? I know I could probably just use another cable coming straight from the motherboard but the TV is on the other side of the room so I would rather not if there was another way.

Thanks in advance TL Tech Gurus!!


Depends on the video device. Most support it, but you'll need to set it as the default audio playback device within control panel.


TY Mr Toast Sir :D got it sorted
Vanished.... Like a wrinkly ninja.....
TuElite
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Canada2123 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-29 21:16:51
May 29 2012 21:16 GMT
#2905
Hi, quick question!

I just uninstalled a couple of big programs from my SSD drive and figured I'd do a disk clean + defrag and while doing the disk clean thing in control panel this popped up.
[image loading]

Now that's quite a lot of temporary files and system error memory dump files, 9.25GB and 539MB if you can't see...

Do I need those or can I delete them ? At this point I pretty much only have my OS, Starcraft 2 and everything that's hardware/drivers related installed on my SSD.

Thank you for your time
Always Smile - Jung Nicole - Follow Nicole on Twitter @_911007 and me @TuElite
xeo1
Profile Joined October 2011
United States429 Posts
May 29 2012 21:23 GMT
#2906
I have an abyssus whose clicker is starting to wear out. I started looking for replacements and narrowed it down to: razer deathadder, ss kinzu, ss kana, zowie mico, or intellimouse explorer 3.0/microsoft wheel optical mouse. my grip style is claw and some palm, budget is below $50, and I play sc2, d3, and ut3. which one do you guys would be the best choice?
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-29 21:24:27
May 29 2012 21:24 GMT
#2907
On May 30 2012 06:16 TuElite wrote:
Hi, quick question!

I just uninstalled a couple of big programs from my SSD drive and figured I'd do a disk clean + defrag and while doing the disk clean thing in control panel this popped up.+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]

Now that's quite a lot of temporary files and system error memory dump files, 9.25GB and 539MB if you can't see...

Do I need those or can I delete them ? At this point I pretty much only have my OS, Starcraft 2 and everything that's hardware/drivers related installed on my SSD.

Thank you for your time


Why would you defrag an SSD? It's literally pointless, as fragmentation is only an issue where physical colocation on the disk decreases access times, which doesn't happen with flash, only mechanical drives. And yes, you can delete that shit.
TheToast
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4808 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-29 21:50:21
May 29 2012 21:31 GMT
#2908
On May 30 2012 06:16 TuElite wrote:
Hi, quick question!

I just uninstalled a couple of big programs from my SSD drive and figured I'd do a disk clean + defrag and while doing the disk clean thing in control panel this popped up.
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]

Now that's quite a lot of temporary files and system error memory dump files, 9.25GB and 539MB if you can't see...

Do I need those or can I delete them ? At this point I pretty much only have my OS, Starcraft 2 and everything that's hardware/drivers related installed on my SSD.

Thank you for your time


Yeah, you can get rid of those. Temp files are basically everything in C:\Windows\Temp and %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Temp

That includes stuff like when you open an email attachment, files that unpack when you install something, random files that applications need to store, etc. Basically, if a program puts something in a temp directory, it's basically saying that file is okay to delete later. It's also a location that viruses and malware often try to install themselves to. So clear those out.

System error files can go too, those just save the output information when Windows BSODs or something encounters some kind of error. To send off a useful error report, Windows saves a lot of information about the problem which is usually never used or needed again. So clear that stuff off too.

On May 30 2012 06:24 JingleHell wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 30 2012 06:16 TuElite wrote:
Hi, quick question!

I just uninstalled a couple of big programs from my SSD drive and figured I'd do a disk clean + defrag and while doing the disk clean thing in control panel this popped up.+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]

Now that's quite a lot of temporary files and system error memory dump files, 9.25GB and 539MB if you can't see...

Do I need those or can I delete them ? At this point I pretty much only have my OS, Starcraft 2 and everything that's hardware/drivers related installed on my SSD.

Thank you for your time


Why would you defrag an SSD? It's literally pointless, as fragmentation is only an issue where physical colocation on the disk decreases access times, which doesn't happen with flash, only mechanical drives. And yes, you can delete that shit.


.... That's actually an interesting question, and I'm not 100% sure you are right. If the file or files are split up across multiple memory modules, I imagine that it could theoretically take slightly longer to retrieve the files as it has to access multiple memory modules. I'm just stabbing in the dark here, but I wonder if there's any info out there about this.

Anyway, a defrag never hurts so why not?

Nvm, a traditional defrag won't actually do anything for a SSD.
I like the way the walls go out. Gives you an open feeling. Firefly's a good design. People don't appreciate the substance of things. Objects in space. People miss out on what's solid.
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
May 29 2012 21:33 GMT
#2909
On May 30 2012 06:31 TheToast wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 30 2012 06:16 TuElite wrote:
Hi, quick question!

I just uninstalled a couple of big programs from my SSD drive and figured I'd do a disk clean + defrag and while doing the disk clean thing in control panel this popped up.
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]

Now that's quite a lot of temporary files and system error memory dump files, 9.25GB and 539MB if you can't see...

Do I need those or can I delete them ? At this point I pretty much only have my OS, Starcraft 2 and everything that's hardware/drivers related installed on my SSD.

Thank you for your time


Yeah, you can get rid of those. Temp files are basically everything in C:\Windows\Temp and %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Temp

That includes stuff like when you open an email attachment, files that unpack when you install something, random files that applications need to store, etc. Basically, if a program puts something in a temp directory, it's basically saying that file is okay to delete later. It's also a location that viruses and malware often try to install themselves to. So clear those out.

System error files can go too, those just save the output information when Windows BSODs or something encounters some kind of error. To send off a useful error report, Windows saves a lot of information about the problem which is usually never used or needed again. So clear that stuff off too.

Show nested quote +
On May 30 2012 06:24 JingleHell wrote:
On May 30 2012 06:16 TuElite wrote:
Hi, quick question!

I just uninstalled a couple of big programs from my SSD drive and figured I'd do a disk clean + defrag and while doing the disk clean thing in control panel this popped up.+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]

Now that's quite a lot of temporary files and system error memory dump files, 9.25GB and 539MB if you can't see...

Do I need those or can I delete them ? At this point I pretty much only have my OS, Starcraft 2 and everything that's hardware/drivers related installed on my SSD.

Thank you for your time


Why would you defrag an SSD? It's literally pointless, as fragmentation is only an issue where physical colocation on the disk decreases access times, which doesn't happen with flash, only mechanical drives. And yes, you can delete that shit.


.... That's actually an interesting question, and I'm not 100% sure you are right. If the file or files are split up across multiple memory modules, I imagine that it could theoretically take slightly longer to retrieve the files as it has to access multiple memory modules. I'm just stabbing in the dark here, but I wonder if there's any info out there about this.

Anyway, a defrag never hurts so why not?


Uhm, a defrag on an SSD, even if you're theoretically right (which I sincerely doubt, since we're talking the speed of electrons travelling millimeters, which is probably beyond most ability to benchmark), would still be a cost/benefit thing of picoseconds faster against tons of wasted write cycles due to the way a defrag works, combined with the way an SSD works. It would be horrendously stupid.
TheToast
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4808 Posts
May 29 2012 21:40 GMT
#2910
On May 30 2012 06:33 JingleHell wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 30 2012 06:31 TheToast wrote:
On May 30 2012 06:16 TuElite wrote:
Hi, quick question!

I just uninstalled a couple of big programs from my SSD drive and figured I'd do a disk clean + defrag and while doing the disk clean thing in control panel this popped up.
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]

Now that's quite a lot of temporary files and system error memory dump files, 9.25GB and 539MB if you can't see...

Do I need those or can I delete them ? At this point I pretty much only have my OS, Starcraft 2 and everything that's hardware/drivers related installed on my SSD.

Thank you for your time


Yeah, you can get rid of those. Temp files are basically everything in C:\Windows\Temp and %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Temp

That includes stuff like when you open an email attachment, files that unpack when you install something, random files that applications need to store, etc. Basically, if a program puts something in a temp directory, it's basically saying that file is okay to delete later. It's also a location that viruses and malware often try to install themselves to. So clear those out.

System error files can go too, those just save the output information when Windows BSODs or something encounters some kind of error. To send off a useful error report, Windows saves a lot of information about the problem which is usually never used or needed again. So clear that stuff off too.

On May 30 2012 06:24 JingleHell wrote:
On May 30 2012 06:16 TuElite wrote:
Hi, quick question!

I just uninstalled a couple of big programs from my SSD drive and figured I'd do a disk clean + defrag and while doing the disk clean thing in control panel this popped up.+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]

Now that's quite a lot of temporary files and system error memory dump files, 9.25GB and 539MB if you can't see...

Do I need those or can I delete them ? At this point I pretty much only have my OS, Starcraft 2 and everything that's hardware/drivers related installed on my SSD.

Thank you for your time


Why would you defrag an SSD? It's literally pointless, as fragmentation is only an issue where physical colocation on the disk decreases access times, which doesn't happen with flash, only mechanical drives. And yes, you can delete that shit.


.... That's actually an interesting question, and I'm not 100% sure you are right. If the file or files are split up across multiple memory modules, I imagine that it could theoretically take slightly longer to retrieve the files as it has to access multiple memory modules. I'm just stabbing in the dark here, but I wonder if there's any info out there about this.

Anyway, a defrag never hurts so why not?


Uhm, a defrag on an SSD, even if you're theoretically right (which I sincerely doubt, since we're talking the speed of electrons travelling millimeters, which is probably beyond most ability to benchmark), would still be a cost/benefit thing of picoseconds faster against tons of wasted write cycles due to the way a defrag works, combined with the way an SSD works. It would be horrendously stupid.


Well I'm thinking if you've got a massive file such as a virtual harddrive or Outlook OST file that's highly fragmented we could be talking into the realm of percievable difference, though probably still well within a fraction of a second.

Though what I'm reading on a lot of forums is describing that where Windows percieves the files are stored on the SSD has no correlation to where they are actually stored. In which case, a traditional defrag would do nothing at all.
I like the way the walls go out. Gives you an open feeling. Firefly's a good design. People don't appreciate the substance of things. Objects in space. People miss out on what's solid.
jaj22
Profile Joined September 2009
United Kingdom1376 Posts
May 29 2012 21:44 GMT
#2911
SSDs are faster at sequential than random reads, but not by much these days, and with modern drives, sectors being logically sequential doesn't mean that they're physically sequential.

Losing all those write cycles is much more important, so don't defrag a modern SSD.
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
May 29 2012 21:45 GMT
#2912
On May 30 2012 06:40 TheToast wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 30 2012 06:33 JingleHell wrote:
On May 30 2012 06:31 TheToast wrote:
On May 30 2012 06:16 TuElite wrote:
Hi, quick question!

I just uninstalled a couple of big programs from my SSD drive and figured I'd do a disk clean + defrag and while doing the disk clean thing in control panel this popped up.
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]

Now that's quite a lot of temporary files and system error memory dump files, 9.25GB and 539MB if you can't see...

Do I need those or can I delete them ? At this point I pretty much only have my OS, Starcraft 2 and everything that's hardware/drivers related installed on my SSD.

Thank you for your time


Yeah, you can get rid of those. Temp files are basically everything in C:\Windows\Temp and %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Temp

That includes stuff like when you open an email attachment, files that unpack when you install something, random files that applications need to store, etc. Basically, if a program puts something in a temp directory, it's basically saying that file is okay to delete later. It's also a location that viruses and malware often try to install themselves to. So clear those out.

System error files can go too, those just save the output information when Windows BSODs or something encounters some kind of error. To send off a useful error report, Windows saves a lot of information about the problem which is usually never used or needed again. So clear that stuff off too.

On May 30 2012 06:24 JingleHell wrote:
On May 30 2012 06:16 TuElite wrote:
Hi, quick question!

I just uninstalled a couple of big programs from my SSD drive and figured I'd do a disk clean + defrag and while doing the disk clean thing in control panel this popped up.+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]

Now that's quite a lot of temporary files and system error memory dump files, 9.25GB and 539MB if you can't see...

Do I need those or can I delete them ? At this point I pretty much only have my OS, Starcraft 2 and everything that's hardware/drivers related installed on my SSD.

Thank you for your time


Why would you defrag an SSD? It's literally pointless, as fragmentation is only an issue where physical colocation on the disk decreases access times, which doesn't happen with flash, only mechanical drives. And yes, you can delete that shit.


.... That's actually an interesting question, and I'm not 100% sure you are right. If the file or files are split up across multiple memory modules, I imagine that it could theoretically take slightly longer to retrieve the files as it has to access multiple memory modules. I'm just stabbing in the dark here, but I wonder if there's any info out there about this.

Anyway, a defrag never hurts so why not?


Uhm, a defrag on an SSD, even if you're theoretically right (which I sincerely doubt, since we're talking the speed of electrons travelling millimeters, which is probably beyond most ability to benchmark), would still be a cost/benefit thing of picoseconds faster against tons of wasted write cycles due to the way a defrag works, combined with the way an SSD works. It would be horrendously stupid.


Well I'm thinking if you've got a massive file such as a virtual harddrive or Outlook OST file that's highly fragmented we could be talking into the realm of percievable difference, though probably still well within a fraction of a second.

Though what I'm reading on a lot of forums is describing that where Windows percieves the files are stored on the SSD has no correlation to where they are actually stored. In which case, a traditional defrag would do nothing at all.


No, even with something huge, it's going to be well within any sane margin of error, because the moving parts are electrons. Over the course of the (drastically shortened by regular defrags) life of the drive, you'd potentially save 1-2ms, if I had to guess, by letting those poor little electrons travel less distance.

I'm probably being insanely generous. Just use trim/garbage collection on the SSD, save defrags for where they count.
TheToast
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4808 Posts
May 29 2012 21:49 GMT
#2913
On May 30 2012 06:44 jaj22 wrote:
SSDs are faster at sequential than random reads, but not by much these days, and with modern drives, sectors being logically sequential doesn't mean that they're physically sequential.

Losing all those write cycles is much more important, so don't defrag a modern SSD.


Yeah, that's the biggest thing. Even if fragmented files did have real impact on read speed, running a traditional defrag will essentially do nothing about it as Windows has no frame of reference with which to organize the files.
I like the way the walls go out. Gives you an open feeling. Firefly's a good design. People don't appreciate the substance of things. Objects in space. People miss out on what's solid.
TuElite
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Canada2123 Posts
May 29 2012 21:54 GMT
#2914
On May 30 2012 06:44 jaj22 wrote:
Losing all those write cycles is much more important, so don't defrag a modern SSD.


Ok thank you guys, I won't defrag!
Always Smile - Jung Nicole - Follow Nicole on Twitter @_911007 and me @TuElite
nosliw
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
United States2716 Posts
May 29 2012 21:57 GMT
#2915
What voltage/current stats is most important in a Power suppply? There are like 5 sets of them. If I want to overclock, how do I make sure the PSU can supply the increased voltage?
Apollo_Shards
Profile Joined February 2011
1210 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-29 22:24:30
May 29 2012 22:24 GMT
#2916
For college, would you guys recommend me buying a gaming laptop or buying a premade if I have never worked with laptops before? I have installed RAM/Videocards/ Motherboards/ PSUs on a desktop however.
The biggest two factors I am looking for is ease and the savings.
Jaedong, sOs, avilo, MaSa, Oprah
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
May 29 2012 23:02 GMT
#2917
On May 30 2012 06:57 nosliw wrote:
What voltage/current stats is most important in a Power suppply? There are like 5 sets of them. If I want to overclock, how do I make sure the PSU can supply the increased voltage?


In a decent quality PSU, the highest current should be the +12v rail, which powers the CPU and GPU. Unless you're building with more than a quad core and single GPU, you probably don't need more than a 520w unit from a decent brand.
RAGEMOAR The Pope
Profile Joined February 2011
United States216 Posts
May 29 2012 23:06 GMT
#2918
I just had a BSOD: bad_pool_caller

0x00000012
0x00000007
0x0000104B
0x08230002
0x98400ef0

any idea what this means?
TheToast
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4808 Posts
May 30 2012 00:20 GMT
#2919
On May 30 2012 07:24 Apollo_Shards wrote:
For college, would you guys recommend me buying a gaming laptop or buying a premade if I have never worked with laptops before? I have installed RAM/Videocards/ Motherboards/ PSUs on a desktop however.
The biggest two factors I am looking for is ease and the savings.


Allow my to direct you to my answer to a similar question (because I'm too lazy to rewrite it ): http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=339432#8
I like the way the walls go out. Gives you an open feeling. Firefly's a good design. People don't appreciate the substance of things. Objects in space. People miss out on what's solid.
Kiritsu
Profile Joined September 2010
Trinidad/Tobago7 Posts
May 30 2012 01:55 GMT
#2920
I am on a home wireless connection. I can connect to battle.net and play custom games on sc2 but can't play ladder. Help please.
Prev 1 144 145 146 147 148 653 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #2
ZZZero.O155
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Artosis 1074
ZZZero.O 155
Bale 20
ajuk12(nOOB) 8
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm122
League of Legends
Doublelift5296
JimRising 693
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5573
Other Games
summit1g8793
FrodaN2999
KnowMe206
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1203
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream43
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP4
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1017
• Shiphtur184
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
6m
CranKy Ducklings1
Afreeca Starleague
11h 6m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
12h 6m
Monday Night Weeklies
17h 6m
Replay Cast
1d
Afreeca Starleague
1d 11h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 12h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.