• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:15
CEST 02:15
KST 09:15
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8129 users

Simple Questions Simple Answers - Page 145

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 143 144 145 146 147 653 Next
BottleAbuser
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Korea (South)1888 Posts
May 28 2012 14:15 GMT
#2881
I have a phenom 9550 cpu and a radeon hd 6770 graphics card. Is the CPU bottlenecking the GPU? (Older cpu and mobo, 6gb of ddr2 ram clocked at 800MHz.)
Compilers are like boyfriends, you miss a period and they go crazy on you.
Womwomwom
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
5930 Posts
May 28 2012 14:19 GMT
#2882
Definitely.
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
May 28 2012 14:20 GMT
#2883
On May 28 2012 23:15 BottleAbuser wrote:
I have a phenom 9550 cpu and a radeon hd 6770 graphics card. Is the CPU bottlenecking the GPU? (Older cpu and mobo, 6gb of ddr2 ram clocked at 800MHz.)


A first gen phenom is a piece of shit under the best of circumstances. So yes, in general, you'd want more CPU. As for whether it's bottlenecking you, it depends on the game. In anything even vaguely CPU limited, or at lower display resolutions, yes.

A good way to check if your CPU is a bottleneck in a game is to check your FPS in a specific situation, then lower the graphics settings significantly (resolution is a good way to do this quickly), then go into the same specific situation, and see if your FPS improves. If it goes up, your GPU is the bottleneck for that situation in that game. If it stays roughly the same, it's the CPU slowing you down.
BottleAbuser
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Korea (South)1888 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-28 14:26:28
May 28 2012 14:23 GMT
#2884
Skyrim on 1280x1024 seems to run pretty smoothly but any sort of AA turned on causes the textures to glitch and flicker pretty bad (the fps doesn't appear to change). Can I assume this is a CPU or RAM bottleneck? I would have assumed that it only puts a higher load on the GPU, but my understanding is that the HD 6770 is more than adequate for the task.
Compilers are like boyfriends, you miss a period and they go crazy on you.
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
May 28 2012 14:26 GMT
#2885
On May 28 2012 23:23 BottleAbuser wrote:
Skyrim on 1280x1024 seems to run pretty smoothly but any sort of AA turned on causes the textures to glitch and flicker pretty bad (the fps doesn't appear to change). Can I assume this is a CPU or RAM bottleneck?


Uhm, turning on AA is increasing demand on the GPU rather significantly. If you're having visible trouble with it, I think you may have temp issues with the GPU, because that resolution shouldn't tax a 6770 too badly even with Skyrim.

The FPS not "appearing" to change suggests you aren't actually monitoring it in the slightest. You need to actually have NUMBERS to compare, since frequently you'll be dealing with increases of generated FPS to above common display refresh rates, so the only way to compare results is by monitoring numbers.

BottleAbuser
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Korea (South)1888 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-28 14:49:02
May 28 2012 14:39 GMT
#2886
Right, I'll come back with FPS numbers later.. so far I've only been monitoring temperatures which have been stable at 45C for the CPU and 60C for the GPU. (I spent too much on coolers that are too big.) CPU temp monitored with Core Temp and GPU temp monitored with Catalyst. The 4 cores are shown at ~80% utilization.
Compilers are like boyfriends, you miss a period and they go crazy on you.
Xaniz
Profile Joined November 2011
Belgium18 Posts
May 28 2012 17:15 GMT
#2887
On May 28 2012 23:23 BottleAbuser wrote:
Skyrim on 1280x1024 seems to run pretty smoothly but any sort of AA turned on causes the textures to glitch and flicker pretty bad (the fps doesn't appear to change). Can I assume this is a CPU or RAM bottleneck? I would have assumed that it only puts a higher load on the GPU, but my understanding is that the HD 6770 is more than adequate for the task.


Flicker is often caused by your gpu, AA stresses your gpu making it skip a frame from time to time causing the annoying flicker effect. Maybe a driver update can fix this? Since I think a 6770 should run skyrim just fine without AA or some AA.
niteReloaded
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
Croatia5282 Posts
May 28 2012 21:17 GMT
#2888
I want to buy a PCIe GPU for under $50, is there an easy pick I should go for?
MisterJulianMan
Profile Joined May 2012
19 Posts
May 29 2012 00:06 GMT
#2889
you might be able to find a 6670 for that price
domane
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
Canada1606 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-05 02:05:11
May 29 2012 03:41 GMT
#2890
How much ram is ideal for casual/medium level gaming?

EDIT: Thanks
TheToast
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4808 Posts
May 29 2012 03:44 GMT
#2891
On May 29 2012 12:41 domane wrote:
How much ram is ideal for casual/medium level gaming?


Around 6GB I'd say, though RAM is so cheap these days there's no reason not to go for a full 8GB.

Just don't go any higher than that, unless you do something other than gaming you won't see any performance benefits.
I like the way the walls go out. Gives you an open feeling. Firefly's a good design. People don't appreciate the substance of things. Objects in space. People miss out on what's solid.
MorpheusEU
Profile Joined December 2011
21 Posts
May 29 2012 10:51 GMT
#2892
I can buy a used CM 690II windowed for 40 euro's (new=105 euro's). Problem is that I don't have money for my other hardware just yet. Is this a good deal?
Stiluz
Profile Joined October 2010
Norway688 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-29 12:33:04
May 29 2012 12:27 GMT
#2893
Do I need to update the bios on the motherboard I bought for my new computer that's coming tomorrow (ASUS P8H77 series)? Already downloaded the chipset drivers etc. Just the bios I'm scared of touching.

Ninjaedit question: I have an old PS2 keyboard I like. I tried a ps2 -> USB adapter with it for my laptop, but I ended up getting a bluescreen. Is there any risk at all using it on my pc since I got a bluescreen (I'm thinking faulty keyboard due to the adapter failing or something), or am I being insanely paranoid now?
Womwomwom
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
5930 Posts
May 29 2012 12:41 GMT
#2894
No you most likely don't have to update the BIOS. I don't bother updating mine unless there is a serious problem. I haven't found a serious problem in a motherboard's BIOS in years. If you want to know, the last time had to be Gigabyte's god awful X58 motherboards.

As for your keyboard question, no I can't see why it wouldn't work on your PC. Your laptop probably has other problems that aren't related to the keyboard.
TheToast
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4808 Posts
May 29 2012 13:46 GMT
#2895
On May 29 2012 21:27 Stiluz wrote:
Do I need to update the bios on the motherboard I bought for my new computer that's coming tomorrow (ASUS P8H77 series)? Already downloaded the chipset drivers etc. Just the bios I'm scared of touching.

Ninjaedit question: I have an old PS2 keyboard I like. I tried a ps2 -> USB adapter with it for my laptop, but I ended up getting a bluescreen. Is there any risk at all using it on my pc since I got a bluescreen (I'm thinking faulty keyboard due to the adapter failing or something), or am I being insanely paranoid now?


You don't have to update the bios, but it's generally a good idea as bios updates usually contain fixes for bugs or improvements to the UI.

If you get a blue screen then yes there is a danger of data corruption as Windows is basically encountering a critical error and immediately failing. A USB device really shouldn't be able to do that though unless there is some underlying issue with the chipset driver. I'd say confirm the issue is really the keyboard first.
I like the way the walls go out. Gives you an open feeling. Firefly's a good design. People don't appreciate the substance of things. Objects in space. People miss out on what's solid.
Mcn00bin
Profile Joined May 2012
Canada19 Posts
May 29 2012 16:03 GMT
#2896
MSE vs Avira vs Avast vs AVG?
yann
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
119 Posts
May 29 2012 16:09 GMT
#2897
Hello, I am looking for a Windows notebook which has the best quality integrated webcam (possibly for recording videos in 30FPS).

Is there anything better than Samsung 9 Series?
My life for Aiur!
TheToast
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4808 Posts
May 29 2012 16:12 GMT
#2898
On May 30 2012 01:03 Mcn00bin wrote:
MSE vs Avira vs Avast vs AVG?


Sorry, no clear answer to that question. Each has it's fans and detractors. Upside of MSE is that it won't bug you about updating to a full version, but it's also more heavy on system resources and is a bit slower doing full scans though is a bit more configurable in terms of the active guard. Antivir is sometimes rated above AVG in terms of detection, but AVG is apparently more customizable.

I personally use Avira, and I can say the constant pestering to upgrade to the full version is annoying. But I much prefer it to MSE which I find slow, cumbersom, and a bit too much like the Windows Vista version of Windows Defender, which was not great.

Truth be told though, I'm not sure there is a ton of difference between them, it all really comes down to personal preference.
I like the way the walls go out. Gives you an open feeling. Firefly's a good design. People don't appreciate the substance of things. Objects in space. People miss out on what's solid.
EdenPLusDucky
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
571 Posts
May 29 2012 16:20 GMT
#2899
On May 30 2012 01:03 Mcn00bin wrote:
MSE vs Avira vs Avast vs AVG?


Avira used to be high on the list, but then it fell when put up against avast 6, don't know where it is now though. AVG is out of the picture. MSE is good but its really bad when it comes to removal. Avast has a built in behavioural detector, so thats a plus.

Its either Avira or Avast if you want something solid. I would just skip antivirus software entirely and get a HIPS like Online Armor, just educate yourself and you will know what to do whenever it pops up and asks you to whitelist or blacklist a process, etc.
TheToast
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4808 Posts
May 29 2012 16:21 GMT
#2900
On May 30 2012 01:09 yann wrote:
Hello, I am looking for a Windows notebook which has the best quality integrated webcam (possibly for recording videos in 30FPS).

Is there anything better than Samsung 9 Series?


Lol, yes. 9 series only comes with a 1.3 MP webcam standard, it's also $1000 and has shit hardware. Ultra books are a terrible value for what you get. HP offers a number of models with a 2mp webcam.

But this is the absolute worst thing to base buying a laptop on. Most video chat software is going to compress the image anyway, so any additional quality you get from a 2mp webcam is lost anyway. If you're planning on doing vlogs or recordings, get a real webcam. Far more cost effective, you'll have a better webcam for the same price, and you won't be spending money on an overpriced POS laptop just to get a decent webcam.

I like the way the walls go out. Gives you an open feeling. Firefly's a good design. People don't appreciate the substance of things. Objects in space. People miss out on what's solid.
Prev 1 143 144 145 146 147 653 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
CranKy Ducklings100
Liquipedia
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #2
ZZZero.O156
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SpeCial 161
StarCraft: Brood War
Artosis 931
ZZZero.O 156
Bale 19
ajuk12(nOOB) 9
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm189
League of Legends
Doublelift4468
JimRising 704
Counter-Strike
minikerr13
Other Games
summit1g10251
FrodaN2831
C9.Mang0244
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1216
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream27
[ Show 9 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP96
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
9h 45m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
10h 45m
Monday Night Weeklies
15h 45m
Replay Cast
22h 45m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 9h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 10h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 23h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.