• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:14
CEST 04:14
KST 11:14
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6812 users

Fried GPU?

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
wUndertUnge
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1126 Posts
May 22 2012 19:39 GMT
#1
Ok, so I own a Dell XPS Studio 1647 laptop. Admittedly, I haven’t taken very good care of this thing: running all night, sometimes with SC2 still up, watching videos, dusty environment, dropped. The fan was going high and the temps were reaching 75 to 80 degrees Celsius.

Well, in the middle of a D3 session, everything goes hazy, pixilated, chopped, and discolored leading to a blue screen of death that is also chopped, discolored, hazy, and pixilated. I can barely read the words. After a system restore, a good cleaning of the heatsink and fan, reapplication of thermal compound, it seemed to be working fine until 2 nights ago when it freaked out in D3 again.

This time the blue screen of death was up but clear and I was able to reload the game and play for a couple more hours. The next night, I had my laptop going for awhile just watching VODs of SC2. It was getting a bit warmer, but I still played D3 and it’s bad again. Freezing, barely running, blurry and scratchy and artifact-y even in safe mode. BIOS has screwy vision, too.

Unfortunately, I don’t have another monitor. Is my laptop done for?
Clan: QQGC - wundertunge#1850
TL+ Member
TheToast
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4808 Posts
May 22 2012 19:55 GMT
#2
On May 23 2012 04:39 suspiria wrote:
Unfortunately, I don’t have another monitor. Is my laptop done for?


It sounds highly probable that your GPU has been damaged by excessive heat.

Did you get the error code or reference file from the BSOD?
I like the way the walls go out. Gives you an open feeling. Firefly's a good design. People don't appreciate the substance of things. Objects in space. People miss out on what's solid.
wUndertUnge
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1126 Posts
May 22 2012 20:00 GMT
#3
I didn't get the error code unfortunately. Ergh.

The flipside to that question is whether or not I should do a replacement or just buy a whole new laptop. I'll give Dell a call tonight to see what the cost might be...

Thanks for your response, Toast.
Clan: QQGC - wundertunge#1850
TL+ Member
TheToast
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4808 Posts
May 22 2012 20:05 GMT
#4
If you bought it within a year, it should still be under warrenty. If not, it will probably be a few hundred bucks at least not to mention probably 2-4 weeks worth of shipping alone.

I actually had a similar issue with my old laptop. It was falling apart and really out of date so I had stopped being careful about keeping it on flat hard surfaces; eventually the heat got to the GPU and it just BSOD'd one day and the GPU never worked properly after that.
I like the way the walls go out. Gives you an open feeling. Firefly's a good design. People don't appreciate the substance of things. Objects in space. People miss out on what's solid.
Amazements
Profile Joined August 2010
United States40 Posts
May 22 2012 20:21 GMT
#5
This: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

Will let you view the dump files Windows generates for BSODs, which should contain the error codes and memory addresses responsible for the crashes.

Although, from your description, it really does sound like the video card is just dying.
wUndertUnge
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1126 Posts
May 22 2012 20:28 GMT
#6
a few hundred bucks to replace the GPU, which is already out-of-date (at least as far as it being a mid-range).

I'm thinking since I have a line of credit at Dell that I might just get an Alienware computer and make sure I take care of this thing much more. Toast, if you're down to give some feedback, what would you say to this computer?

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-m17x-r4/fs

Thinking of the $1499 one and upgrading the GPU. Reviews say the cooling system is good. And I would get a desktop, but I have limited apartment space.
Clan: QQGC - wundertunge#1850
TL+ Member
wUndertUnge
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1126 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-22 20:29:54
May 22 2012 20:28 GMT
#7
On May 23 2012 05:21 Amazements wrote:
This: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

Will let you view the dump files Windows generates for BSODs, which should contain the error codes and memory addresses responsible for the crashes.

Although, from your description, it really does sound like the video card is just dying.


Yeah, I'm starting to get that feeling.

EDIT: I treated her so poorly...so, so poorly.
Clan: QQGC - wundertunge#1850
TL+ Member
TheToast
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4808 Posts
May 22 2012 20:46 GMT
#8
On May 23 2012 05:28 suspiria wrote:
a few hundred bucks to replace the GPU, which is already out-of-date (at least as far as it being a mid-range).

I'm thinking since I have a line of credit at Dell that I might just get an Alienware computer and make sure I take care of this thing much more. Toast, if you're down to give some feedback, what would you say to this computer?

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-m17x-r4/fs

Thinking of the $1499 one and upgrading the GPU. Reviews say the cooling system is good. And I would get a desktop, but I have limited apartment space.


When I bought my current laptop I spent a lot of time considering buying an alienware. Up until about 7 months ago I was still in school and moving around regularly; a desktop wasn't really going to work for me either so I understand the position you are in.

However, after really looking at it and doing a good bit of research I decided against going for an Alienware. While in terms of build quality and cooling their laptops are probably the best out there; given what a laptop is it just doesn't make sense. $1400 would build a really nice desktop, but what you get for it in terms of a laptop just isn't worth it. Consider that you can't really upgrade the system in anyway when the hardware get old; and even cannibalizing the hardware is a waste of time, I've still got a socket M Core 2 Duo in my closet from my old laptop that I've yet to find a use for. Given also that laptops tend to take abuse (even if you're careful there is going to be general ware and tear, unless you never ever move it) the most you are going to get out of any laptop realistically is 3 to 4 years.

Take it from someone who's gamed on a laptop for over 5 years; I highly suggest you go for something lower end and stash that extra cash away for some point down the road when you can invest it in building a really awesome desktop. HP and Dell both have some nice home models that you can order custom with some nice hardware for under $1000 and have decent build quality. MSI and Asus have some nice models too, I've heard some people who are pretty happy with them. Though my HP gets pretty hot--virtually all laptops do--I've been more than happy with it; glad I didn't spend $2000 on an Alienware. All in all, gaming on a laptop sucks (Medrea, I swear to god not a word from you) so I suggest avoiding investing too much money in it.

I like the way the walls go out. Gives you an open feeling. Firefly's a good design. People don't appreciate the substance of things. Objects in space. People miss out on what's solid.
wUndertUnge
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1126 Posts
May 22 2012 20:51 GMT
#9
Alright, good stuff to mull over. I may just have to look into getting a desktop. Thanks Toast.
Clan: QQGC - wundertunge#1850
TL+ Member
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
CranKy Ducklings177
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 172
ProTech125
StarCraft: Brood War
Dewaltoss 228
Bale 17
Terrorterran 15
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm188
League of Legends
Doublelift6186
JimRising 708
Counter-Strike
taco 155
minikerr35
Other Games
summit1g11908
C9.Mang0368
PiLiPiLi9
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1120
BasetradeTV185
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream42
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP177
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
7h 46m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
8h 46m
Monday Night Weeklies
13h 46m
Replay Cast
20h 46m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 7h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 8h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 21h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.