• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:37
CEST 17:37
KST 00:37
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon108
StarCraft 2
General
Updated Continental Flags System & New Global Flag StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10150 users

Thoughts on auto-matchmaking - Page 2

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 12 13 14 Next All
il0seonpurpose
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
Korea (South)5638 Posts
May 21 2007 09:23 GMT
#21
this is inrevalent but everybody i played from PGT was a d!
Jyvblamo
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
Canada13788 Posts
May 21 2007 09:24 GMT
#22
On May 21 2007 18:23 il0seonpurpose wrote:
this is inrevalent but everybody i played from PGT was a d!


Yes, PGT ranks are pretty irrelevant.
SoleSteeler
Profile Joined April 2003
Canada5472 Posts
May 21 2007 09:31 GMT
#23
On May 21 2007 17:07 FrozenArbiter wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 21 2007 16:23 MyLostTemple wrote:
the beauty of auto matching is it destroys the option for a player to pick only one matchup or only one map (assuming map selection can be controled) and more accurately displays ones 'overall' skill in a very broad sense.

the problems can involve getting put against asshole disconnectors who you would probably avoid normally due to their number of disconects. bm players can be a problem too.

Also destroys the ability to use the ladder as a practice tool for a specific matchup or picking matchups (ie PvZ ZvT TvP)


You can still easily do that in custom games. Random maps and random opponents based on similar skill level is a really good way of showing the true skill in a ladder system. The system in War3 works really great! I am sure they will improve it even further.

I think you'd be happy if they added a "Custom Melee" record as well as ladder record, like in BW.
red.venom
Profile Joined October 2002
United States4651 Posts
May 21 2007 09:33 GMT
#24
On May 21 2007 15:58 Manifesto7 wrote:
About stats, me too 2v2 stats would be a nice dream as well, along with race stats and activity charts.


Its safe to say those will be there, since they are in WC3(For ladder play).

I personally love the WC3 match making, its one of the reasons to play that game. The problem with the SC system is that its slow and requires you to maintain standing in an online social circle to really get good games. Stop playing for 3 months and everyone will have migrated to new channels and new places. the SC system is awful, and this is once again something where people are so used to it that they dont understand why its so horribly flawed.

You guys realize good and bad players alike can make custom games in WC3, even to play 1:1.. Its like some of you are just talking out of your ass and have never played it. Custom = Freeplay.
Broom
Liquid`Jinro
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Sweden33719 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-05-21 09:37:58
May 21 2007 09:34 GMT
#25
Freeplay without stats? YUCK


Let me give you an example of why I'd like to have a choice of opponent as an alternative to the auto-match thing:

Once in PGTour I played this korean guy something like 11 times straight (4 hours in a row just playing PvP wee), anyway, he was really close to moving up a rank but everytime he got within 100 points of there I beat him (he won at a 2:1 ratio I think, or almost that much anyway) and after like hours he goes..

"You bad T_T!!!!!" (as in mean) when I beat him again just as he needs just 100 more points :D

SEE, I'd have missed out on this totally awesome moment! (in the end he did make the rank btw, were fun and mannered games)
Moderatortell the guy that interplanatar interaction is pivotal to terrans variety of optionitudals in the pre-midgame preperatories as well as the protosstinal deterriggation of elite zergling strikes - Stimey n | Formerly FrozenArbiter
Drowsy
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
United States4876 Posts
May 21 2007 09:35 GMT
#26
I like the idea, war3's original automatching system was perfection. You could "thumbs down" as many maps as you wanted, but you couldn't pick a specific matchup and the rating system was a bit more accurate. Then they messed it up in 2k4 or 2k5.
Our Protoss, Who art in Aiur HongUn be Thy name; Thy stalker come, Thy will be blunk, on ladder as it is in Micro Tourny. Give us this win in our daily ladder, and forgive us our cheeses, As we forgive those who play zerg against us.
red.venom
Profile Joined October 2002
United States4651 Posts
May 21 2007 09:36 GMT
#27
On May 21 2007 17:07 FrozenArbiter wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 21 2007 16:23 MyLostTemple wrote:
the beauty of auto matching is it destroys the option for a player to pick only one matchup or only one map (assuming map selection can be controled) and more accurately displays ones 'overall' skill in a very broad sense.

the problems can involve getting put against asshole disconnectors who you would probably avoid normally due to their number of disconects. bm players can be a problem too.

Also destroys the ability to use the ladder as a practice tool for a specific matchup or picking matchups (ie PvZ ZvT TvP)


Well if it destroys playing against annoying, inflexible people who only want a specific match and match up then I am all for it. ; ] because that was the worst thing about PGT and unfortunately at B and below it encompassed a majority of the games.
Broom
red.venom
Profile Joined October 2002
United States4651 Posts
May 21 2007 09:37 GMT
#28
On May 21 2007 18:34 FrozenArbiter wrote:
Freeplay without stats? YUCK



Well stats could be nice I guess. If only because I like to keep track of how many games I have played so that I can calculate how much life I have wasted playing: ]
Broom
CowGoMoo
Profile Joined December 2006
United States428 Posts
May 21 2007 09:38 GMT
#29
WC3 style. if there is 1 thing I hate about SC ladders/leagues its the fact that I have to manually search for all my games and sometimes it takes a while, and always on an unfavorable map...
Krohm
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Canada1857 Posts
May 21 2007 09:42 GMT
#30
Both options should be available...

AMM, was handy. However you should also have the ability to just ladder 1:1 who ever you want (Challenge). I don't always enjoy playing 'randos'. Also Koreans WILL be playing SC, most of the time I refuse to play Koreans since they just simply own my ass. If I use AMM depending on the time of day, I'll probably have to face off against a Korean.

As for the interface, I hated WC3's. Especially since I had a slower computer at the time, and to alt+tab out of wc3 took serious time. The music always played even when it was minimized. It was annoying. I doubt Blizzard will keep the interface simple though.

Then again AMM, would keep ladder ranks more legit and not cheated...
Not bad for a cat toy.
red.venom
Profile Joined October 2002
United States4651 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-05-21 09:49:51
May 21 2007 09:49 GMT
#31
Heres what we will do.. We will make a No-Korean ladder for the people who dont like to lose. An old style ladder channel system for those that simply wont let go of the past. A WC3 match making system in both pub and ladder formats. A custom mode with both stat-recorded and non recorded styles. blah blah bleh blah blah

Cant have it all folks: ]
Broom
Zelniq
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
United States7166 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-05-21 09:51:53
May 21 2007 09:49 GMT
#32
i think the wc3 style system was just fine, everyone still hung out in channels and talked to each other and everyone still played custom 1v1s w/ each other (often w/ lots of observers). allowing for custom game ladder introduces too much potential for abuse, if you wanna play someone specifically just ask him for a game, why do you need it to count for your ladder record.

also, with AMM system eventually you get to the point where you often know the person you played w/, either playing the person before or talking/seeing him in channels, or seeing him play. Also it makes it much more exciting when this happens randomly, seeing him in the player list as the map loads was cool. Plus if you ever get to the top of the ladder you will play the same people again and again often times anyway, me and my friend used to tell each other to search at the same time and often it would match us together, which was pretty exciting (because it matches based on skill and there weren't many others online at our level at the time)

I know everyone wants a choice for both this and that and everything else (such as a choice for workers auto-rallying to minerals, a choice for selecting multiple buildings, etc) but they cannot put in these kinds of choices into the game, they never have done things like this and they won't start now. Having multiple B.net 1v1 ladders is not something they're likely to do, IMO having just 1 big ladder should be the best and frankly I don't want the AMM ladder mixed in with the custom game ladder, custom game has abuse potential and just advantage to those players overall (playing only certain matchups/maps for ex)
ModeratorBlame yourself or God
Liquid`Jinro
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Sweden33719 Posts
May 21 2007 09:57 GMT
#33
On May 21 2007 18:36 red.venom wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 21 2007 17:07 FrozenArbiter wrote:
On May 21 2007 16:23 MyLostTemple wrote:
the beauty of auto matching is it destroys the option for a player to pick only one matchup or only one map (assuming map selection can be controled) and more accurately displays ones 'overall' skill in a very broad sense.

the problems can involve getting put against asshole disconnectors who you would probably avoid normally due to their number of disconects. bm players can be a problem too.

Also destroys the ability to use the ladder as a practice tool for a specific matchup or picking matchups (ie PvZ ZvT TvP)


Well if it destroys playing against annoying, inflexible people who only want a specific match and match up then I am all for it. ; ] because that was the worst thing about PGT and unfortunately at B and below it encompassed a majority of the games.

Hey I used to be PvZ PvT TvP cause I loved TvP =] I'd play any matchup tho, but would an option to ask for a specific race be super bad you think?

Like.. "Preferred race of opponent: T, P Z"
Moderatortell the guy that interplanatar interaction is pivotal to terrans variety of optionitudals in the pre-midgame preperatories as well as the protosstinal deterriggation of elite zergling strikes - Stimey n | Formerly FrozenArbiter
mahnini
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
United States6862 Posts
May 21 2007 09:58 GMT
#34
Speaking of AMM, I wonder what types of anti-hack Blizz will include in SC2. Something like Warden? How effectively is that working for WC3?
the world's a playground. you know that when you're a kid, but somewhere along the way everyone forgets it.
red.venom
Profile Joined October 2002
United States4651 Posts
May 21 2007 10:04 GMT
#35
On May 21 2007 18:57 FrozenArbiter wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 21 2007 18:36 red.venom wrote:
On May 21 2007 17:07 FrozenArbiter wrote:
On May 21 2007 16:23 MyLostTemple wrote:
the beauty of auto matching is it destroys the option for a player to pick only one matchup or only one map (assuming map selection can be controled) and more accurately displays ones 'overall' skill in a very broad sense.

the problems can involve getting put against asshole disconnectors who you would probably avoid normally due to their number of disconects. bm players can be a problem too.

Also destroys the ability to use the ladder as a practice tool for a specific matchup or picking matchups (ie PvZ ZvT TvP)


Well if it destroys playing against annoying, inflexible people who only want a specific match and match up then I am all for it. ; ] because that was the worst thing about PGT and unfortunately at B and below it encompassed a majority of the games.

Hey I used to be PvZ PvT TvP cause I loved TvP =] I'd play any matchup tho, but would an option to ask for a specific race be super bad you think?

Like.. "Preferred race of opponent: T, P Z"


I dont think that would be bad at all, it was an oversight in the WC3 system for sure. But if it worked like the map selection in WC3, you would get your preferred match up 1 in 20 games: ]
Broom
rpf
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
United States2705 Posts
May 21 2007 10:13 GMT
#36
There are some pretty big problems with not having an auto match feature for a ladder.

First of all, it inspires people to sit around waiting for the perfect "victim." For example, when I was on PGT sometimes, I'd get whispers from players who had no fucking business messaging a "D" player looking for a game. They saw me as an easy win, and specifically targeted me because of that.

Is that really fair? I don't think so. Of course, it's up to me to accept or deny the challenge, so I can't complain if I accept the game. But, being pestered by better players who want easy points to get a higher rank, I think, is unfair.

Second, this results in some higher-ranked players only having such a rank because they did nothing but pick their targets carefully all season.

I'm not trying to imply that all high-ranked players used "underhanded" tactics to obtain their respectable ranks, but rather that a few "bad apples" can spoil the fun of ladder games.

I think an auto match feature would be great. It'd prevent jackasses from specifically preying on low level players to gain points.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
SoleSteeler
Profile Joined April 2003
Canada5472 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-05-21 10:15:53
May 21 2007 10:14 GMT
#37
On May 21 2007 18:34 FrozenArbiter wrote:
Let me give you an example of why I'd like to have a choice of opponent as an alternative to the auto-match thing:

Once in PGTour I played this korean guy something like 11 times straight (4 hours in a row just playing PvP wee), anyway, he was really close to moving up a rank but everytime he got within 100 points of there I beat him (he won at a 2:1 ratio I think, or almost that much anyway) and after like hours he goes..

"You bad T_T!!!!!" (as in mean) when I beat him again just as he needs just 100 more points :D

SEE, I'd have missed out on this totally awesome moment! (in the end he did make the rank btw, were fun and mannered games)


Let me tell you about this one time I was playing War3. I was in a channel with my friend, and we decided to play separate ladder games... We were RL friends and we said whoever won would get $20 from the other person. If you both won you kept going until someone lost.

We both went 3-0 then played...each other!

I lost! Fuck...

Good story though!

I would have missed out on this totally awesome moment without the AMM


edit:

wasn't trying to be sarcastic or anything towards you FA, basically I am saying that great stories can happen anywhere... humanity is infinite! or something
Zelniq
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
United States7166 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-05-21 10:20:04
May 21 2007 10:18 GMT
#38
On May 21 2007 19:13 rpf wrote:
There are some pretty big problems with not having an auto match feature for a ladder.

First of all, it inspires people to sit around waiting for the perfect "victim." For example, when I was on PGT sometimes, I'd get whispers from players who had no fucking business messaging a "D" player looking for a game. They saw me as an easy win, and specifically targeted me because of that.

Is that really fair? I don't think so. Of course, it's up to me to accept or deny the challenge, so I can't complain if I accept the game. But, being pestered by better players who want easy points to get a higher rank, I think, is unfair.

Second, this results in some higher-ranked players only having such a rank because they did nothing but pick their targets carefully all season.

I'm not trying to imply that all high-ranked players used "underhanded" tactics to obtain their respectable ranks, but rather that a few "bad apples" can spoil the fun of ladder games.

I think an auto match feature would be great. It'd prevent jackasses from specifically preying on low level players to gain points.


exactly. combine what you said and what i said in my posts a few posts above yours and we have a solid argument I'd say for why AMM is good and a 'choice of ladder' style could be bad.

guys, custom games is more than enough, you dont need the score to be recorded on the ladder also. plus custom games are better because it allows for observers
ModeratorBlame yourself or God
Phyre
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
United States1288 Posts
May 21 2007 10:50 GMT
#39
I would personally like some way of filtering the games I'm looking at in the non-AMM game selection interface. I like AMM for the most part the way it is implemented in WC3 but the Custom Games screen is a wreck. If they could let you filter the list of Custom Games to see only UMS or not, perhaps only search certain maps, etc. Imagine how much easier it would be to find a DotA game for example if you could filter results to only show "dota_v6.43b.w3x" or whatever the map name is. For any sort of "ranked" matches though I believe anonymous AMM is the way to go.
"Oh no, I got you with your pants... on your face... That's not how you wear pants." - Nintu, catching 1 hatch lurks.
Liquid`Jinro
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Sweden33719 Posts
May 21 2007 10:56 GMT
#40
On May 21 2007 19:14 SoleSteeler wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 21 2007 18:34 FrozenArbiter wrote:
Let me give you an example of why I'd like to have a choice of opponent as an alternative to the auto-match thing:

Once in PGTour I played this korean guy something like 11 times straight (4 hours in a row just playing PvP wee), anyway, he was really close to moving up a rank but everytime he got within 100 points of there I beat him (he won at a 2:1 ratio I think, or almost that much anyway) and after like hours he goes..

"You bad T_T!!!!!" (as in mean) when I beat him again just as he needs just 100 more points :D

SEE, I'd have missed out on this totally awesome moment! (in the end he did make the rank btw, were fun and mannered games)


Let me tell you about this one time I was playing War3. I was in a channel with my friend, and we decided to play separate ladder games... We were RL friends and we said whoever won would get $20 from the other person. If you both won you kept going until someone lost.

We both went 3-0 then played...each other!

I lost! Fuck...

Good story though!

I would have missed out on this totally awesome moment without the AMM


edit:

wasn't trying to be sarcastic or anything towards you FA, basically I am saying that great stories can happen anywhere... humanity is infinite! or something

Haha yeah I know, my story wasn't really a serious argument anyway
Moderatortell the guy that interplanatar interaction is pivotal to terrans variety of optionitudals in the pre-midgame preperatories as well as the protosstinal deterriggation of elite zergling strikes - Stimey n | Formerly FrozenArbiter
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 12 13 14 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 8h 23m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech145
Codebar 33
StarCraft: Brood War
EffOrt 1176
Mini 976
Soma 626
actioN 526
Rush 381
Light 361
ggaemo 320
Larva 287
Horang2 262
Stork 257
[ Show more ]
BeSt 248
Snow 209
hero 208
Barracks 125
firebathero 108
Killer 107
Aegong 100
Shine 98
Dewaltoss 91
Zeus 73
JYJ 40
Shinee 38
Sharp 38
Sexy 36
soO 36
ToSsGirL 27
Liquid`Ret 24
Bale 23
zelot 22
sorry 21
Trap 18
Rock 18
Sacsri 12
Terrorterran 8
Dota 2
Gorgc8302
qojqva1907
Dendi797
420jenkins150
Counter-Strike
fl0m967
Fnx 762
x6flipin524
edward47
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes5126
Other Games
singsing1548
B2W.Neo892
Khaldor712
byalli505
Lowko366
Mlord287
Liquid`VortiX199
DeMusliM194
ArmadaUGS146
KnowMe136
Trikslyr39
Railgan5
BRAT_OK 1
gofns0
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV221
WardiTV214
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream169
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH178
• StrangeGG 60
• mYiSmile121
• Kozan
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Migwel
• intothetv
• IndyKCrew
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 26
• FirePhoenix8
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV423
League of Legends
• Nemesis2451
• Jankos1742
• TFBlade755
Other Games
• Shiphtur142
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
8h 23m
Kung Fu Cup
19h 23m
The PondCast
1d 18h
OSC
1d 21h
OSC
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.