• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:29
CEST 14:29
KST 21:29
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon107
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
All you football fans (soccer)! Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8457 users

Thoughts on auto-matchmaking

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 12 13 14 Next All
Liquid`Jinro
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Sweden33719 Posts
May 21 2007 06:54 GMT
#1
Am I the only one who thinks it's pretty anti-social (which together with the lack of online replays and observers not being able to chat with player - maybe this can be turned off - made me feel war3 was kinda unfriendly.. the design of bnet sucked too)?

I'd love to have the feature but I think having the option of making a ladder game manually would be great, as this would allow for re-games and most likely a ladder channel. I guess the trade-off is the potential for abuse..

Another thing, I'm hoping there will be separate melee and ladder stats like in SC, just because I think it looks nice

Any thoughts~_~?
Moderatortell the guy that interplanatar interaction is pivotal to terrans variety of optionitudals in the pre-midgame preperatories as well as the protosstinal deterriggation of elite zergling strikes - Stimey n | Formerly FrozenArbiter
Manifesto7
Profile Blog Joined November 2002
Osaka27178 Posts
May 21 2007 06:58 GMT
#2
I thought the WC3 battle.net moved too slowly. I want clicks to be instantaneous. I dont want to wait to watch graphics which I will eventually see thousands of times.

About auto-matching, I think Ashur said it best when he called it hunting. People on ladders like to select their prey. Maybe it is good, maybe it leads to a lot of TvP Luna D++ spam, but people generally like to have more control over the people they play, even if it is just their impression of the id.

I think the compromise is obviously the best. Have it there for people who like it, and then have the manual creation and ladder channel for those who dont.

About stats, me too 2v2 stats would be a nice dream as well, along with race stats and activity charts.
ModeratorGodfather
Loveletter
Profile Joined November 2006
United States543 Posts
May 21 2007 06:58 GMT
#3
eww nooo no auto matching D:<
DotA 2 - peteyyytran/IRONBRAH add me for inhouse games/pub games
istealhotelsoap
Profile Joined February 2007
United States514 Posts
May 21 2007 07:04 GMT
#4
mmm... auto-matching would be fine-- but i would still like to be able to host games
zizou21
Profile Joined September 2006
United States3683 Posts
May 21 2007 07:05 GMT
#5
auto match making is best IMO
its me, tasteless,s roomate LOL!
Carnac
Profile Blog Joined December 2003
Germany / USA16648 Posts
May 21 2007 07:08 GMT
#6
Like Mani suggested I really think there should be both: the possibilty to play a ladder game with an opponent you picked on your own as well as AMM. I personally loved AMM during the couple of months I played WC3.

2v2 ladder (arranged team in WC3) also absolutely needs to be there. If possible with AMM as well as with picking.

Clicks must be instantaneous, yes!!!! An animated menu is SOOOO annoying, god I hated that so much in WC3.

Also, after a game you MUST be send back to the channel and not to some kind of stupid lobby like it was implemented in Diablo 2 with patch 1.10, that's so horrible!
ModeratorHi! I'm a .signature *virus*! Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me spread!
Excalibur_Z
Profile Joined October 2002
United States12256 Posts
May 21 2007 07:09 GMT
#7
I prefer AMM. 99% of the time you're fighting against someone you don't know, and it's just another game. However, sometimes you may be matched against someone you know, or someone who carries a reputation, and the game becomes much more exciting. Occasionally in a random match you may encounter a player who is friendly and near your skill level - someone who may be a potential training partner. That works out perfectly with the games I play on Battle.net most of the time - lots of forgettable games with the occasional memorable gem.
Moderator
ocoini
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
648 Posts
May 21 2007 07:13 GMT
#8
I' don't like it.. classic b.net ladder play would rock. I do like to just jump into a game aswell though, maybe players could be encouraged to join and create games more often, i dunno.... :p

played some wc3 the other day, 2 players i playd had nicks : "I.kill.fags" and "niggerssuck" .... I just don't want to be auto-matched with jerks... :o
Street Vendor Crack Down Princess-Cop!
fusionsdf
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
Canada15390 Posts
May 21 2007 07:17 GMT
#9
Anything that gets me more games for less effort is best.

socialization is a side-effect of laddering, not the goal. If I wanted to socialize, I would idle the chatroom.
SKT_Best: "I actually chose Protoss because it was so hard for me to defeat Protoss as a Terran. When I first started Brood War, my main race was Terran."
MyLostTemple *
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States2921 Posts
May 21 2007 07:23 GMT
#10
the beauty of auto matching is it destroys the option for a player to pick only one matchup or only one map (assuming map selection can be controled) and more accurately displays ones 'overall' skill in a very broad sense.

the problems can involve getting put against asshole disconnectors who you would probably avoid normally due to their number of disconects. bm players can be a problem too.
Follow me on twitter: CallMeTasteless
Jyvblamo
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
Canada13788 Posts
May 21 2007 07:24 GMT
#11
On May 21 2007 16:23 MyLostTemple wrote:
the beauty of auto matching is it destroys the option for a player to pick only one matchup or only one map (assuming map selection can be controled) and more accurately displays ones 'overall' skill in a very broad sense.

the problems can involve getting put against asshole disconnectors who you would probably avoid normally due to their number of disconects. bm players can be a problem too.


Have it so the AMM matches disconnecters with disconnecters, LOL.
Sr18
Profile Joined April 2006
Netherlands1141 Posts
May 21 2007 07:43 GMT
#12
There is simply no subsitute for AMM if you are into mass-gaming with unknown players.
If it ain't Dutch, it ain't Park Yeong Min - CJ fighting!
Insane
Profile Blog Joined November 2003
United States4991 Posts
May 21 2007 07:49 GMT
#13
On May 21 2007 15:58 Manifesto7 wrote:
I thought the WC3 battle.net moved too slowly. I want clicks to be instantaneous. I dont want to wait to watch graphics which I will eventually see thousands of times.

Whoa, absolutely. I said this to someone a while ago and they just called me an impatient whiner

I like AMM, a big part of why I didn't play PGT was that I had to spam for games.
Dariush
Profile Joined April 2007
Romania330 Posts
May 21 2007 08:02 GMT
#14
If we get both 'tis perfect.
Liquid`Jinro
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Sweden33719 Posts
May 21 2007 08:07 GMT
#15
On May 21 2007 16:23 MyLostTemple wrote:
the beauty of auto matching is it destroys the option for a player to pick only one matchup or only one map (assuming map selection can be controled) and more accurately displays ones 'overall' skill in a very broad sense.

the problems can involve getting put against asshole disconnectors who you would probably avoid normally due to their number of disconects. bm players can be a problem too.

Also destroys the ability to use the ladder as a practice tool for a specific matchup or picking matchups (ie PvZ ZvT TvP)
Moderatortell the guy that interplanatar interaction is pivotal to terrans variety of optionitudals in the pre-midgame preperatories as well as the protosstinal deterriggation of elite zergling strikes - Stimey n | Formerly FrozenArbiter
[angst]chraej
Profile Joined January 2006
1445 Posts
May 21 2007 08:29 GMT
#16
i agree that it destroys match picking but sometimes i just want to hit a button and have it find me someone of my relative skill level...just so i dont have to hunt all over the place sometimes.
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded
IntoTheWow
Profile Blog Joined May 2004
is awesome32282 Posts
May 21 2007 09:06 GMT
#17
So how about

Automatch for ladders
Old system for the rest?
Moderator<:3-/-<
Pistasj
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Norway272 Posts
May 21 2007 09:14 GMT
#18
On May 21 2007 18:06 IntoTheWow wrote:
So how about

Automatch for ladders
Old system for the rest?


This is exactly how wc3 is, and is how sc2 will most likely be. All ladders use AMM but you can still hang out in channels and create custom games. Have'nt any of you played wc3?
pooper-scooper
Profile Joined May 2003
United States3108 Posts
May 21 2007 09:21 GMT
#19
I love auto match making.

As it is on bnet I either get absolutely schooled or own a newb, this does not make for very fun gaming.
Good...Bad... Im the guy with the gun
Kacas
Profile Joined July 2003
Brazil3143 Posts
May 21 2007 09:21 GMT
#20
yeap....automatch would be awesome!

if u want to play with a friend or some specific matchup just create a game "mellee"
I Love Hyori Lee =* icq: 41760400 / msn: kayen_chn at hotm
1 2 3 4 5 12 13 14 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Sparkling Tuna Cup
10:00
Weekly #148 (SHIN Mod Edition)
herO vs KrystianerLIVE!
TBD vs Percival
CranKy Ducklings168
CranKy Ducklings SOOP46
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko395
ProTech141
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 3933
Jaedong 3244
Leta 1530
actioN 957
EffOrt 658
Horang2 561
Soma 413
BeSt 391
Killer 330
Mini 273
[ Show more ]
Rush 221
Stork 220
Pusan 152
Light 147
Barracks 124
Zeus 121
Snow 99
ggaemo 96
Larva 91
JYJ 63
Mong 52
ToSsGirL 42
HiyA 41
hero 40
Bale 35
Sharp 28
Shinee 22
zelot 20
sorry 19
Sexy 14
Sacsri 10
Noble 10
JulyZerg 9
Icarus 6
Dota 2
Gorgc6240
Dendi772
XaKoH 396
Counter-Strike
kRYSTAL_69
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes3495
Other Games
gofns37173
singsing1596
olofmeister1344
B2W.Neo616
byalli508
Livibee191
OGKoka 107
ArmadaUGS70
DeMusliM12
Organizations
StarCraft 2
WardiTV349
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream278
Other Games
BasetradeTV196
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV249
League of Legends
• Jankos1670
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
11h 31m
Kung Fu Cup
22h 31m
The PondCast
1d 21h
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.