• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:04
CEST 23:04
KST 06:04
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026?
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 5199 users

The Best Article in the World - Page 4

Forum Index > SC2 General
174 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All
MrMischelito
Profile Joined February 2014
347 Posts
July 26 2018 18:28 GMT
#61
Also, I really miss Kaelaris and Apollo!
Ctone23
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
United States1841 Posts
July 26 2018 18:31 GMT
#62
I don't have a problem with casters saying something "is the best its ever been" considering all of the changes StarCraft II has had over the years. Had the game been the same this whole time, then yeah I would be annoyed with the "greatest ever" hype, but with an ever changing game I think it's fine, and a lot of those clips I actually agree with. It doesn't mean the excitement / anxioness / happiness I felt during Squirtle vs MVP finals means nothing now, but I enjoy the game interactions in LotV much more than I did in WoL and HotS eras.

As far as simplified casting goes, I do think there's a lot of repetition with stereotyping players, but in some cases I think it's justified. I don't get annoyed when someone hypes ByuN sniping banes off creep, to the trained eye that isn't all that special, but it still LOOKS cool and the casters should definitely hype the moment, maybe just tone down the "GOAT" analysis.
TL+ Member
Charoisaur
Profile Joined August 2014
Germany16095 Posts
July 26 2018 18:35 GMT
#63
Tastosis gets criticized quite heavily in here, probably rightfully so I just want to mention that despite this they are still by far my favourite casters and get me hyped like no other ones while also having the best in-depth analysis.

I wonder why they feel the need to always use those hyperboles though.
if they would just replace "The best" with "one of the best" it would already annoy me far less.
Many of the coolest moments in sc2 happen due to worker harassment
Justinian
Profile Joined August 2012
United Kingdom158 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-07-26 18:49:48
July 26 2018 18:44 GMT
#64
This article is only really talking about Tastosis as far as I can tell, no-one else really does this. I do agree that they overhype things, but getting the perfect balance between too much hype and too little is easier said than done. No-one wants boring casts.

It's easy to criticise, but proposing a solution is more difficult. In the one clip you posted showing how it should be done, I actually found the casting a little more annoying than the Tastosis clips. Apollo & Kaelaris were basically just repeating what was happening and screaming over it. Not sure what you found so impressive about that. I don't mean to criticise them, I'm just saying casting is a difficult job to do well.

As I say though, Tastosis are probably still the best SC2 casters, but I agree they could improve their casting a little by toning down some of the over the top praise for players/tournaments.
Teoita
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy12248 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-07-26 18:47:37
July 26 2018 18:46 GMT
#65
And here I was hoping to read Olli praise the Great Book. Ah, well. Also:

On July 27 2018 01:53 FrostedMiniWheats wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 27 2018 01:17 Soularion wrote:
On July 27 2018 01:12 Fango wrote:
ByuN and Rogue are proabably the biggest examples I can think of. Just because someone wins blizzcon and prefers a certain style doesn't make them the best in history at it. You never see this in other esports (from what I've seen at least). CSGO casters might say "we've seen incredible shots from X in the past", but not "X is the best awper ever in counterstrike"

There are games when casters will constantly say that ByuN has the best micro ever, how he "breaks the rules" etc, yet he goes on to take nothing but bad or sometimes terrible fights until the end of the game. It's so obviously clear that he isn't the best with large army engagements that it becomes off-putting to watch.

Even when he's massively behind Tasteless still seemed to think he can win just because of ByuN micro, although I'm not sure whether he genuinely believes this or is just saying it for the hype.


Nobody believes Rogue is 'the best late game zerg ever'. I've never heard that take, and if I have, it's people parroting Tastosis. That's incredibly annoying to deal with.


Might be some truth to Rogue's lategame actually being that good. 2012 Symbol, RorO, Soulkey and perhaps prime Dark are the only ones who might've been better than him.


any discussion about late game Zerg should not include the second half of 2012. The skill involved in lategame Zerg in that period was far lower than at pretty much any other other point in Starcraft history, including early WoL.

Also in my experience, a lot of us that have been deeply involved in SC2 for years are really grumpy about over-hyped casters (and just bad strategic analysis in general).
ModeratorProtoss all-ins are like a wok. You can throw whatever you want in there and it will turn out alright.
NewSunshine
Profile Joined July 2011
United States5938 Posts
July 26 2018 19:04 GMT
#66
I think this was a wonderful article. Not to be hyperbolic(heh), but I think the points raised by this article simply cannot be overstated. There's a really strong desire people have - not just casters - to have been around for "the best X moment ever", and to be able to tell the story, but as the article goes to great lengths to explain, it often backfires in a spectacular way. If every moment is special, then none are. Agree with article 100%. Not more than that though, let's not get carried away.

Also the clip was A+
"If you find yourself feeling lost, take pride in the accuracy of your feelings." - Night Vale
Jealous
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
10387 Posts
July 26 2018 19:05 GMT
#67
On July 27 2018 03:11 Charoisaur wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 26 2018 22:47 Waxangel wrote:
I don't particularly agree with all the sentiments here (a good story is WORTH telling over and over again, simple or not), but I was quite entertained by your many, many caster clips. Also, how DARE you not mention the TRUE best game of all time, INnoVation vs TaeJa???

? You mean Life vs Dream?

Slightly irrelevant to the overall direction of the thread, but I just want to maybe give a perhaps slightly "outsider" perspective on the discussion at hand. As a BW player that nevertheless watches all of the "Best Games of the Year" that TL puts out, I found Life vs. Dream to be the one that really appealed to me the most. Not that Innovation vs. TaeJa was a bad game by any means (it's up there for me as well), or many of the others that have been mentioned. But, if I were to pick THE ONE, it would be this one.
"The right to vote is only the oar of the slaveship, I wanna be free." -- бум бум сучка!
Edpayasugo
Profile Joined April 2013
United Kingdom2223 Posts
July 26 2018 19:06 GMT
#68
Interesting read that I mostly agree with thanks.

'The purpose of analysis and commentary is to provide perspective that a typical fan cannot offer—insight that only experts possess'

I think this is the problem, in most sports this is really lacking, commentary is always dumbed down and largely observational, this is partly why independent blogs have sprung up to cater for an audience who want real analysis.
FlaSh MMA INnoVation FanTaSy MKP TY Ryung | soO Dark Rogue | HuK PartinG Stork State
dankobanana
Profile Joined February 2016
Croatia244 Posts
July 26 2018 19:18 GMT
#69
On July 27 2018 03:35 Charoisaur wrote:
Tastosis gets criticized quite heavily in here, probably rightfully so I just want to mention that despite this they are still by far my favourite casters and get me hyped like no other ones while also having the best in-depth analysis.


NO!!! you can't possibly think they have a good in-depth analysis of the game. Just listen to Rotti or NoRegret cast and you'll hear what you have been missing. Especially Tastless, he has been out of the loop far too long. I don't play, just watch, and I find it bad
Battle is waged in the name of the many. The brave, who generation after generation choose the mantle of - Dark Templar!
Fango
Profile Joined July 2016
United Kingdom8987 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-07-26 19:35:53
July 26 2018 19:33 GMT
#70
On July 27 2018 01:53 FrostedMiniWheats wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 27 2018 01:17 Soularion wrote:
On July 27 2018 01:12 Fango wrote:
ByuN and Rogue are proabably the biggest examples I can think of. Just because someone wins blizzcon and prefers a certain style doesn't make them the best in history at it. You never see this in other esports (from what I've seen at least). CSGO casters might say "we've seen incredible shots from X in the past", but not "X is the best awper ever in counterstrike"

There are games when casters will constantly say that ByuN has the best micro ever, how he "breaks the rules" etc, yet he goes on to take nothing but bad or sometimes terrible fights until the end of the game. It's so obviously clear that he isn't the best with large army engagements that it becomes off-putting to watch.

Even when he's massively behind Tasteless still seemed to think he can win just because of ByuN micro, although I'm not sure whether he genuinely believes this or is just saying it for the hype.


Nobody believes Rogue is 'the best late game zerg ever'. I've never heard that take, and if I have, it's people parroting Tastosis. That's incredibly annoying to deal with.


Might be some truth to Rogue's lategame actually being that good. 2012 Symbol, RorO, Soulkey and perhaps prime Dark are the only ones who might've been better than him.

He's had some good lategames. But nothing to suggest he's the GOAT. Artosis started that narrative after GSL S3/Super tournament 2 last year because of (Iiterally) one or two games that Rogue actually won against Stats' skytoss.

By blizzcon he was already saying that Rogue "NEVER loses in the lategame". Even though most of the games he lost to Dear, herO, and Neeb around that time were, in fact, when the game went late.

Dark's lategame is much more reliable and well rounded, as it has been for years. Even ByuL would have more of a case than Rogue. Any zerg from 2012 doesn't count. And that's forgetting about other races (Rain, Zest, Stats, Taeja, TY, and now Maru have all done incredible things in the lategame).
Zest, sOs, PartinG, Dark, and Maru are the real champs. ROOT_herO is overrated. Snute, Serral, and Scarlett are the foreigner GOATs
Tictock
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States6052 Posts
July 26 2018 19:48 GMT
#71
As much as I agree with the general sentiment in this article, the Irony in calling it "The Best Article in the World" which was obviously chosen for that reason (as well as clickbait), gets me.

Lead by example and all that, calling something out then using the same tactics kinda feels off.

That's just my kneejerk reaction though.
I can take that responsibility.
NewSunshine
Profile Joined July 2011
United States5938 Posts
July 26 2018 20:00 GMT
#72
On July 27 2018 04:48 Tictock wrote:
As much as I agree with the general sentiment in this article, the Irony in calling it "The Best Article in the World" which was obviously chosen for that reason (as well as clickbait), gets me.

Lead by example and all that, calling something out then using the same tactics kinda feels off.

That's just my kneejerk reaction though.

It read to me as a deliberately ironic title.
"If you find yourself feeling lost, take pride in the accuracy of your feelings." - Night Vale
Tictock
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States6052 Posts
July 26 2018 20:03 GMT
#73
I got that

was obviously chosen for that reason


Still bugs me. *Shrug* Guess I'm just an unappeasable asshole
I can take that responsibility.
Charoisaur
Profile Joined August 2014
Germany16095 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-07-26 20:09:18
July 26 2018 20:03 GMT
#74
On July 27 2018 04:18 dankobanana wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 27 2018 03:35 Charoisaur wrote:
Tastosis gets criticized quite heavily in here, probably rightfully so I just want to mention that despite this they are still by far my favourite casters and get me hyped like no other ones while also having the best in-depth analysis.


NO!!! you can't possibly think they have a good in-depth analysis of the game. Just listen to Rotti or NoRegret cast and you'll hear what you have been missing. Especially Tastless, he has been out of the loop far too long. I don't play, just watch, and I find it bad

Rotti and Noregret have good in-depth analysis about the matchups that include the race they play but they're lacking knowledge in the other matchups.
Artosis has incredible understanding of all matchups.
Tasteless is just there for the hype and jokes but that's okay.
Many of the coolest moments in sc2 happen due to worker harassment
435
Profile Joined March 2018
39 Posts
July 26 2018 20:14 GMT
#75
I like hype. This article is just worthless. I love when casters hype and it has nothing to do with reality. Who cares if it is not realistically the best tournament ever! It is the best tournament ever right now! And this is the best micro right now etc. We want to see world class things and our world class casters hype well! Without those casters I would not watch this game at all! Worthless pieace of text.
Charoisaur
Profile Joined August 2014
Germany16095 Posts
July 26 2018 20:27 GMT
#76
On July 27 2018 05:14 435 wrote:
I like hype. This article is just worthless. I love when casters hype and it has nothing to do with reality. Who cares if it is not realistically the best tournament ever! It is the best tournament ever right now! And this is the best micro right now etc. We want to see world class things and our world class casters hype well! Without those casters I would not watch this game at all! Worthless pieace of text.

This doesn't make sense. Ever and right now are opposite things.
I get where you're coming from, I like hype too but I think we can hype the game up without stating blatantly untrue things.
Many of the coolest moments in sc2 happen due to worker harassment
Jealous
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
10387 Posts
July 26 2018 20:33 GMT
#77
On July 27 2018 05:14 435 wrote:
I like hype. This article is just worthless. I love when casters hype and it has nothing to do with reality. Who cares if it is not realistically the best tournament ever! It is the best tournament ever right now! And this is the best micro right now etc. We want to see world class things and our world class casters hype well! Without those casters I would not watch this game at all! Worthless pieace of text.

But this is the Best Article in the World right now, how can you say all of those things you said? I mean, clearly you're not grounded in reality as you said, so why can you make an allowance for calling one thing the best micro ever or the best tournament ever, then disagree that this is the best article ever right now? Hypocrite.
"The right to vote is only the oar of the slaveship, I wanna be free." -- бум бум сучка!
SetGuitarsToKill
Profile Blog Joined December 2013
Canada28396 Posts
July 26 2018 21:05 GMT
#78
I was expecting more drama from this. This isn't the Greatest Drama of All Time
Community News"As long as you have a warp prism you can't be bad at harassment" - Maru | @SetGuitars2Kill
Soularion
Profile Blog Joined January 2014
Canada2764 Posts
July 26 2018 21:06 GMT
#79
On July 27 2018 06:05 SetGuitarsToKill wrote:
I was expecting more drama from this. This isn't the Greatest Drama of All Time

Trust me, there are more drama fueling articles to come..
Writermaru pls
Ej_
Profile Blog Joined January 2013
47656 Posts
July 26 2018 21:17 GMT
#80
On July 27 2018 06:05 SetGuitarsToKill wrote:
I was expecting more drama from this. This isn't the Greatest Drama of All Time

Clickbait title.
"Technically the dictionary has zero authority on the meaning or words" - Rodya
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 12h 56m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nathanias 193
JuggernautJason107
Nina 104
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 599
White-Ra 205
firebathero 81
910 41
NaDa 23
Counter-Strike
Fnx 803
Super Smash Bros
C9.Mang0175
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby10347
Liquid`Hasu1760
crisheroes1657
Trikslyr73
Other Games
summit1g6522
Liquid`RaSZi6004
Beastyqt784
shahzam466
B2W.Neo245
Pyrionflax171
ToD127
KnowMe116
ArmadaUGS110
ZombieGrub91
IndyStarCraft 69
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream363
Other Games
BasetradeTV217
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 47
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 49
• Eskiya23 24
• FirePhoenix8
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV471
League of Legends
• TFBlade954
Other Games
• imaqtpie1020
• Shiphtur352
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
12h 56m
Afreeca Starleague
12h 56m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 2h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 13h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.