• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:05
CEST 23:05
KST 06:05
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026?
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 5214 users

The Best Article in the World - Page 5

Forum Index > SC2 General
174 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All
SnowAngel
Profile Joined January 2012
Finland38 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-07-26 22:52:40
July 26 2018 22:51 GMT
#81
I think the over-hyping thing is a stylistic choice for Tastosis, and perhaps a certain dutch who loves Serral oh so much. (Note: I like very much both Serral AND the casting of that particular dutch, I just think they might not be the match made in heaven).

But personally I find myself quite used to hyperbole, and don't feel the need of overthinking whether everything I'm hearing is completely accurate and not, perhaps, massively exaggerated for the sake of hyping.

When it comes to the desire for insightful and complex analysis mid/post game, there I do agree with OP. I would love to hear a sentence every now and then, that I wasn't expecting. A deep thought about the fundamentals of a particular game scenario or something. And I also think, like OP does, that it would only make beginner viewers appreciate that these guys actually might know what they are talking about.
Darth Caedus
Profile Joined May 2011
United States326 Posts
July 26 2018 22:57 GMT
#82
Thank you, Olli.
Polt: "Those auto-turrets are cute." 10/26/13 commenting on MMA vs. Maru.
Frudgey
Profile Joined September 2012
Canada3367 Posts
July 26 2018 23:53 GMT
#83
Very interesting article! Certainly gave me something to think about.

I think you guys have already done a pretty good job of explaining both sides of the argument, so I don't really have a whole lot to add.

I will say that taste is subjective, which is why I think there is so much disagreement on this topic. I guess I'll note that I do think it's possible that the people who speak in hyperbole really do have conviction in what they're saying. While it's possible that they could be saying what they say just to generate excitement, I don't think it'd be a hard sell to me that the casters genuinely believe that X was the best game/player/series in history.
It is better to die for The Emperor than live for yourself.
[F_]aths
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Germany3947 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-07-27 16:45:42
July 27 2018 00:03 GMT
#84
"Imagine being Maru—who spent years winning impossible matches"

He did not. No-one did the impossible ever. He might did the improbable, but not the impossible. No-one did, not even once, anywhere.
You don't choose to play zerg. The zerg choose you.
Fango
Profile Joined July 2016
United Kingdom8987 Posts
July 27 2018 00:12 GMT
#85
On July 27 2018 09:03 [F_]aths wrote:
"Imagine being Maru—who spent years winning impossible matches"

He did not. No-one did the impossible ever. He might did the improbable, but not the impossible. No-one did, not even once, ever.

I think the hyperbole is quite clear and appropriate there. Maru spent years winning games that would have been impossible (or at least highly improbable) for literally any other player.
Zest, sOs, PartinG, Dark, and Maru are the real champs. ROOT_herO is overrated. Snute, Serral, and Scarlett are the foreigner GOATs
TrueStorm
Profile Joined December 2017
29 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-07-27 00:59:27
July 27 2018 00:22 GMT
#86
Maybe there are multiple best players in the world in different situations?
One must consider fact that some players play against the best players in the world (later in bracket/pools). The fmeans that those players themselves are the best players in the world that day. And therefore their exhibition of victory against the best players in the worlds is that of the best in the world. They came into the best situations in the world. Hence, their prior plays are the best in the world after victory. Their current play today is the best in the world after victory.
HungrySC2
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
United States191 Posts
July 27 2018 01:22 GMT
#87
There's nothing wrong with hype.
"First say to yourself what you would be; And then do what you have to do. (Epictetus)
necrosexy
Profile Joined March 2011
451 Posts
July 27 2018 01:51 GMT
#88
cliff notes: humans can exaggerate
BisuDagger
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Bisutopia19386 Posts
July 27 2018 02:21 GMT
#89
The best part about the hype is that my wife actually tires of hearing it and all the hyperbole when I've got the games on the TV. She definitely has her preference in SC2 casters for the very reasons in this article lol. Although some of her caster bias may come from her attraction to Germans (quarter German myself ) So maybe it is good for new comers, but it can have negative impact on those who hang out with us as we watch.
ModeratorFormer Afreeca Starleague Caster: http://afreeca.tv/ASL2ENG2
pvsnp
Profile Joined January 2017
7676 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-07-27 04:56:27
July 27 2018 04:45 GMT
#90
While I do think this article addresses a real and valid problem in caster overhype, Tastosis are obviously being paid to cast, and that includes hyping things up. I vividly recall one instance where Player X's situation was so hopeless that Tasteless bluntly admits that even as the hype man, he can't find a way to sell Player X's situation. Tastosis have no way of measuring how much or little hype the audience wants at any given moment, so erring on the side of too much is forgivable in my eyes. Faulting Tastosis for doing their job as they see best seems like quite a stretch.

Personally, I am far more annoyed by the persistent and systemic overhype of players by the community. Especially fan favorites. Whenever certain players win a game, or pull off a sick micro clip, or so on and so forth, it seems as though the community immediately rushes out to proclaim them the "GOAT this" or "Bonjwa that." This is made painfully obvious in the specific case of reddit's upvote system–I guess they call it a circlejerk for a reason. While I can understand people getting caught up in the moment and getting swept away by hype, it's still pretty damn cringeworthy to watch when it happens every single time. And they have no excuse of just doing their jobs. Are they fans or fanatics? (yes I know the etymology)

I'm less inclined to worry about the overuse of player narratives, since progamers are people like any other, and people are complex. Casters need handy narratives to frame the context of a game. That's not to say the narrative should override the reality of what's playing out on-screen, but shoehorning specific players–to some extent–doesn't strike me as a huge problem.
Denominator of the Universe
TL+ Member
hexhaven
Profile Joined July 2014
Finland965 Posts
July 27 2018 06:36 GMT
#91
On July 27 2018 06:05 SetGuitarsToKill wrote:
I was expecting more drama from this. This isn't the Greatest Drama of All Time


This is essentially just a tribute.
WriterI shoot events. | http://www.jussi.co/esports
Nebuchad
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
Switzerland12535 Posts
July 27 2018 06:45 GMT
#92
Something that tends to happen with Tastosis, but I'm sure with others also, is that they often decide what the narrative of a game is and then try and stick to it, rather than let the game follow its own narrative. Most of the time it goes unnoticed because you can kind of tell what most series are going to be about, but when something unexpected happens and they have to course correct everything they'd been saying it looks quite bad. Last time I noticed that was Dear vs soO in Ro16 season 2.
No will to live, no wish to die
FueledUpAndReadyToGo
Profile Blog Joined March 2013
Netherlands30548 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-07-27 09:43:33
July 27 2018 09:32 GMT
#93
This is a really elaborate way of saying you don't like over-exaggeration during casts. But it got me to watch Squirtles archon toilet again so I'm fine with it.

[clip of herO vs hyun ending]The purpose of analysis and commentary is to provide perspective that a typical fan cannot offer—insight that only experts possess. Commentary should enrich the viewing experience by putting single moments into context, explaining exactly why a player's actions are skillful and special.

But what makes this particular minute of cast great (for me) is not expert analysis, it's the passion and emotion from Apollo and Kaelaris. "Blink like you've never blinked before herO!' and that cry after the dust settles with a handful stalkers left 'wooohooaoorrg'. and Kaelaris just losing his mind 'omg omg omg'. Like you can imagine them jumping around just by the sound of it, that's how much energy they bring to this finale moment.
Neosteel Enthusiast
boxerfred
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
Germany8360 Posts
July 27 2018 09:39 GMT
#94
HerO and Polt played one of the most amazing PvT series to date at the criminally overlooked IEM Cologne


I saw this live and it was, for me, the greatest series I witnessed. Of course, being there in person was one of the perks.
Popkiller
Profile Blog Joined March 2012
3415 Posts
July 27 2018 10:54 GMT
#95
It's hard to believe that this is so rare in other esports, since it seems to permeate conversations about anything, lately. The best restaurant ever, the best movie ever, "simply the greatest piece of music ever composed, imo", blah blah.
Uni1987
Profile Joined September 2010
Netherlands642 Posts
July 27 2018 12:17 GMT
#96
They could tone it down a little. Arty gives good in depth commentary imo. Tasteless seems a bit more out of the loop. I've watched all GSL vods recently, and he mostly just adds a lot of unrelated stuff.

Maybe their dynamic has grown quite stale after all these years. They need to take a different approach, or challenge themselves more.

Inspect and adapt!
.............
Bijan
Profile Joined October 2010
United States286 Posts
July 27 2018 12:23 GMT
#97
On July 27 2018 11:21 BisuDagger wrote:
The best part about the hype is that my wife actually tires of hearing it and all the hyperbole when I've got the games on the TV. She definitely has her preference in SC2 casters for the very reasons in this article lol. Although some of her caster bias may come from her attraction to Germans (quarter German myself ) So maybe it is good for new comers, but it can have negative impact on those who hang out with us as we watch.


Anecdotally on the opposite end, my wife only enjoys watching Starcraft with me when we watch Artosis because she finds him funny and his love for the game comes off as genuine.

I agree with the points made in the article but I do think they paint a bleaker portrait of that casting style than the reality is. I also think that very high level players are always more upset at the lack of super in depth analysis. I think this article could serve as a guideline for casters to use for improving their craft because nothing that has been noted is flat out wrong, but I don't think that certain casters are unwatchable because of the hype and hyperbole as some people have suggested.

This is a great write-up and useful just for the discussion it provokes in the community. Thanks for the content!
BisuDagger
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Bisutopia19386 Posts
July 27 2018 12:40 GMT
#98
On July 27 2018 21:23 Bijan wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 27 2018 11:21 BisuDagger wrote:
The best part about the hype is that my wife actually tires of hearing it and all the hyperbole when I've got the games on the TV. She definitely has her preference in SC2 casters for the very reasons in this article lol. Although some of her caster bias may come from her attraction to Germans (quarter German myself ) So maybe it is good for new comers, but it can have negative impact on those who hang out with us as we watch.


Anecdotally on the opposite end, my wife only enjoys watching Starcraft with me when we watch Artosis because she finds him funny and his love for the game comes off as genuine.

I agree with the points made in the article but I do think they paint a bleaker portrait of that casting style than the reality is. I also think that very high level players are always more upset at the lack of super in depth analysis. I think this article could serve as a guideline for casters to use for improving their craft because nothing that has been noted is flat out wrong, but I don't think that certain casters are unwatchable because of the hype and hyperbole as some people have suggested.

This is a great write-up and useful just for the discussion it provokes in the community. Thanks for the content!

Since you mentioned Artosis(Tastosis) specifically, I actually enjoy their Brood War casting very much despite being a 20 year veteran of the game. I do not require their in depth analysis because I think they are having a lot of fun when casting the game. They are enjoyable as SC2 casters too, but I think they do fall in the hype trap or the focus on specific skill type casting just a bit more.
ModeratorFormer Afreeca Starleague Caster: http://afreeca.tv/ASL2ENG2
Bijan
Profile Joined October 2010
United States286 Posts
July 27 2018 13:18 GMT
#99
On July 27 2018 21:40 BisuDagger wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 27 2018 21:23 Bijan wrote:
On July 27 2018 11:21 BisuDagger wrote:
The best part about the hype is that my wife actually tires of hearing it and all the hyperbole when I've got the games on the TV. She definitely has her preference in SC2 casters for the very reasons in this article lol. Although some of her caster bias may come from her attraction to Germans (quarter German myself ) So maybe it is good for new comers, but it can have negative impact on those who hang out with us as we watch.


Anecdotally on the opposite end, my wife only enjoys watching Starcraft with me when we watch Artosis because she finds him funny and his love for the game comes off as genuine.

I agree with the points made in the article but I do think they paint a bleaker portrait of that casting style than the reality is. I also think that very high level players are always more upset at the lack of super in depth analysis. I think this article could serve as a guideline for casters to use for improving their craft because nothing that has been noted is flat out wrong, but I don't think that certain casters are unwatchable because of the hype and hyperbole as some people have suggested.

This is a great write-up and useful just for the discussion it provokes in the community. Thanks for the content!

Since you mentioned Artosis(Tastosis) specifically, I actually enjoy their Brood War casting very much despite being a 20 year veteran of the game. I do not require their in depth analysis because I think they are having a lot of fun when casting the game. They are enjoyable as SC2 casters too, but I think they do fall in the hype trap or the focus on specific skill type casting just a bit more.


I was actually curious what some of the Brood War veterans thought about their casting style. As someone who was introduced to esports with SC2 they have made me fall in love with competitive BW. I can't play at all, I don't understand the intricacies beyond what they share with me, but the game is so beautiful and the skills of the players are so amazing that the ASL and KSL now have become my favorite esports broadcasts to watch. I don't know if in depth analysis would be something I would appreciate more or if it would have pushed me away.

Something that I think is left out of the discussion is that perhaps more hype is needed in SC2 because the observing interface gives us so much detail. It's been mentioned before, but the suspense in BW and the narratives within individual games are at a completely different level than in SC2 because of how little information you have while watching. This might only be a minor factor but I believe it actually makes the caster's job harder in SC2 because the interface does a lot of the work for them. The second half of the article concerning oversimplification might be the answer to this issue though. It might be even more important to paint a broader narrative of the player's skills and their previous results if you have less tools to build a narrative in each series.
The_Red_Viper
Profile Blog Joined August 2013
19533 Posts
July 27 2018 13:22 GMT
#100
I like how people are defending it as "hype", well yes ofc it is used to hype things up but there would be a lot of possible techniques between "this game is shit" and "this is the best game ever" to generate excitement.
Is it really too much to ask to get it a little more nuanced?
IU | Sohyang || There is no God and we are his prophets | For if ‘Thou mayest’—it is also true that ‘Thou mayest not.” | Ignorance is the parent of fear |
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 12h 55m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nathanias 193
JuggernautJason107
Nina 104
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 599
White-Ra 205
firebathero 81
910 41
NaDa 23
Counter-Strike
Fnx 803
Super Smash Bros
C9.Mang0175
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby10347
Liquid`Hasu1760
crisheroes1657
Trikslyr73
Other Games
summit1g6522
Liquid`RaSZi6004
Beastyqt784
shahzam466
B2W.Neo245
Pyrionflax171
ToD127
KnowMe116
ArmadaUGS110
ZombieGrub91
IndyStarCraft 69
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream363
Other Games
BasetradeTV217
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 47
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 49
• Eskiya23 24
• FirePhoenix8
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV471
League of Legends
• TFBlade954
Other Games
• imaqtpie1020
• Shiphtur352
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
12h 55m
Afreeca Starleague
12h 55m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 2h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 13h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.