• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:23
CEST 21:23
KST 04:23
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026?
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
MLB/Baseball 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7914 users

The Best Article in the World - Page 7

Forum Index > SC2 General
174 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 Next All
RHoudini
Profile Joined October 2009
Belgium3628 Posts
July 28 2018 10:37 GMT
#121
Great article. I agree 100%. Even with picking Mvp vs Squirtle .
Lee Jae Dong fighting!
KR_4EVR
Profile Joined July 2017
316 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-07-28 15:28:17
July 28 2018 15:27 GMT
#122
On July 28 2018 15:29 11BC2 wrote:
Show nested quote +
To be perfectly honest, I love them for their humor and the casual banter more than for ingame knowledge and analysis, and I totally agree with you :D
Agreed, however, I'd add that their analysis is quite good, especially when covering original Starcraft. Also, Tastosis is by far and away my favorite duo. Then again, I'm an older guy at almost 45 years of age and have played or followed since the beginning in 1998. Wow, I think this is my first post in 3,4, maybe 5 years? Edit: Says 2 post??? Must have been reset from joining from Twitch? Either way

Anyways, the above is my humble opinion for better or for worse. I'm also inclined to feel this article is more of the same, an opinion piece.



Honestly, I like hearing the casual talk from casters. This frees up my mind to do the tough analysis myself. It's strangely fun and rewarding. The only thing I think needs improvement is higher APM from observers. The game is far faster-paced than HOTS but the number of seconds per pan area hasn't really been reduced accordingly. For the last year or so every single time I watch a cast there are literally matches where I'm screaming at my computer to MOVE THE SCREEN TO THAT FLASHING AREA! or GO BACK BEFORE THAT BATTLE IS OVER!. In other words, I wish observers would move around more actively on the map, just like we who play the game in LOTV have to constantly move around on the map far more.
Congrats to those who do put in the hard work, though. It's not easy.

Edit: Sometimes I'm literallly clicking on the minimap on Twitch, trying to move the screen. Lol.
Et tu Brute ?
EsportsJohn
Profile Blog Joined June 2012
United States4883 Posts
July 28 2018 15:44 GMT
#123
On July 27 2018 22:18 Bijan wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 27 2018 21:40 BisuDagger wrote:
On July 27 2018 21:23 Bijan wrote:
On July 27 2018 11:21 BisuDagger wrote:
The best part about the hype is that my wife actually tires of hearing it and all the hyperbole when I've got the games on the TV. She definitely has her preference in SC2 casters for the very reasons in this article lol. Although some of her caster bias may come from her attraction to Germans (quarter German myself ) So maybe it is good for new comers, but it can have negative impact on those who hang out with us as we watch.


Anecdotally on the opposite end, my wife only enjoys watching Starcraft with me when we watch Artosis because she finds him funny and his love for the game comes off as genuine.

I agree with the points made in the article but I do think they paint a bleaker portrait of that casting style than the reality is. I also think that very high level players are always more upset at the lack of super in depth analysis. I think this article could serve as a guideline for casters to use for improving their craft because nothing that has been noted is flat out wrong, but I don't think that certain casters are unwatchable because of the hype and hyperbole as some people have suggested.

This is a great write-up and useful just for the discussion it provokes in the community. Thanks for the content!

Since you mentioned Artosis(Tastosis) specifically, I actually enjoy their Brood War casting very much despite being a 20 year veteran of the game. I do not require their in depth analysis because I think they are having a lot of fun when casting the game. They are enjoyable as SC2 casters too, but I think they do fall in the hype trap or the focus on specific skill type casting just a bit more.


I was actually curious what some of the Brood War veterans thought about their casting style. As someone who was introduced to esports with SC2 they have made me fall in love with competitive BW. I can't play at all, I don't understand the intricacies beyond what they share with me, but the game is so beautiful and the skills of the players are so amazing that the ASL and KSL now have become my favorite esports broadcasts to watch. I don't know if in depth analysis would be something I would appreciate more or if it would have pushed me away.

Something that I think is left out of the discussion is that perhaps more hype is needed in SC2 because the observing interface gives us so much detail. It's been mentioned before, but the suspense in BW and the narratives within individual games are at a completely different level than in SC2 because of how little information you have while watching. This might only be a minor factor but I believe it actually makes the caster's job harder in SC2 because the interface does a lot of the work for them. The second half of the article concerning oversimplification might be the answer to this issue though. It might be even more important to paint a broader narrative of the player's skills and their previous results if you have less tools to build a narrative in each series.


There are so so so so many beautiful things going on in a game of Brood War that normally get glossed over by Tastetosis. If you fully understood how difficult muta-scourge micro is or how an early 4th for Zerg indicates how the late game is going to go, you'd be on the edge of your seat constantly even without the hype.
StrategyAllyssa Grey <3<3
TrueStorm
Profile Joined December 2017
29 Posts
July 28 2018 16:22 GMT
#124
On July 28 2018 18:51 {ToT}ColmA wrote:
I only watch games muted - does not say much about anything but i dont like the casting style - does not matter which game and is not exclusive to sc2. is not even related to gaming only - in football i find it even more tedious


Maybe you can try listening to Duck and Leffen's commentary in Super Smash Brothers Melee.
Fanatic-Templar
Profile Joined February 2010
Canada5819 Posts
July 28 2018 19:31 GMT
#125
On July 26 2018 22:36 Olli wrote:
Every time I criticize hyperbole and simplified casting, I hear the counter-argument that it's done to cater to casual or new audiences.


That's an odd one to me. After being disappointed with Legacy of the Void's single player campaign, I somewhat dropped off of StarCraft for a while. When I cam back a year later, I had a lot of difficulty figuring out what players were doing in the early game from watching games because casters just never talk about it, it's often a time they waste on complete filler. And keep in mind, I'd just missed the Heart of the Swarm to Legacy of the Void transition, I'd actually been playing StarCraft since 1998. I don't know what an actual new player would make of it.
I bear this sig to commemorate the loss of the team icon that commemorated Oversky's 2008-2009 Proleague Round 1 performance.
RealityTheGreat
Profile Joined January 2018
China564 Posts
July 29 2018 01:55 GMT
#126
Chinese translation has been sent to Char starport(The "official" news website of SC2 in China)
Betrayed, forgotten, abandoned.
DinosaurPoop
Profile Blog Joined April 2013
687 Posts
July 29 2018 11:54 GMT
#127
I don't find a problem with the lazy hype. I find Tastosis as enjoyable to watch as Rotti + ToD, despite the latter definitely being on the other end of the hype spectrum.
When cats speak, mice listen.
Rodya
Profile Joined January 2018
546 Posts
July 29 2018 13:21 GMT
#128
I don't understand why you had to go and imply that DotA 2 casting is better than SC2 casting. That is patently false! DotA 2 casters are the worst in esports, they are unprofessional, they mumble, they can't raise their voices (they sound like my friends in teamspeak when I was in high school!), and are monotone. And then after not hyping anything up for 40 minutes they meekly tell us "...i mean.... there's nothing dire can do to win this game...". Really nothing? Then why are people who are actually good at the game (unlike the casters) still playing, when they can gg out?

Other than that, great post.
Banned for saying "zerg players are by far the biggest whiners in sc2 history" despite the fact that this forum is full of such posts about Terrans. Foreigner Elitists in control!
207aicila
Profile Joined January 2015
1237 Posts
July 29 2018 15:09 GMT
#129
Great article!

A lot of great posts as well from Soularion, shame they seem to have fallen on deaf ears. As someone who has followed other esports even before SC2, I must agree that you rarely ever hear so many comments from the casters about something being the "best ever", and when you do it's usually a less contested, more unanimously agreed upon thing than in SC2.
mfw people who never followed BW speak about sAviOr as if they know anything... -___-''''
TL+ Member
Olli
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
Austria24422 Posts
July 30 2018 11:23 GMT
#130
On July 29 2018 22:21 Rodya wrote:
I don't understand why you had to go and imply that DotA 2 casting is better than SC2 casting. That is patently false! DotA 2 casters are the worst in esports, they are unprofessional, they mumble, they can't raise their voices (they sound like my friends in teamspeak when I was in high school!), and are monotone. And then after not hyping anything up for 40 minutes they meekly tell us "...i mean.... there's nothing dire can do to win this game...". Really nothing? Then why are people who are actually good at the game (unlike the casters) still playing, when they can gg out?

Other than that, great post.


I have to 100% disagree with that opinion on Dota casting. They're absolutely brilliant over there.
Administrator"Declaring anything a disaster because aLive popped up out of nowhere is just downright silly."
SetGuitarsToKill
Profile Blog Joined December 2013
Canada28396 Posts
August 01 2018 00:26 GMT
#131
An interesting reponse article by Brownbear
Community News"As long as you have a warp prism you can't be bad at harassment" - Maru | @SetGuitars2Kill
Fango
Profile Joined July 2016
United Kingdom8987 Posts
August 01 2018 01:09 GMT
#132
On August 01 2018 09:26 SetGuitarsToKill wrote:
An interesting reponse article by Brownbear

I feel like this response downplays, or probably just doesn't realise, how much Tastosis hype things as the greatest ever. Pre and post match analysis amounts to probably 10-20% of the time a caster spends talking to the audience.

Just in my experience as a viewer, I've found it outright annoying how often I've heard that X is the greatest ever. Sometimes it may be justifiable, but often it just blatently isn't, and that's what ruins the immersion.

Also you shouldn't need to make stuff up in order to hype a player or a storyline. Take ByuN for example, he had a great storyline of being teamless and barely qualifying for blizzcon. He also played super aggressive style and had iconic reaper micro. There's no need to constantly (and I mean constantly) repeat nonsense about him having the best control ever in starcraft.

Or even just do it as casters in other esports do. Claim that X is "one of/some of the greatest we've ever seen", or "we've seen such incredible moves from X in the past" etc.
Zest, sOs, PartinG, Dark, and Maru are the real champs. ROOT_herO is overrated. Snute, Serral, and Scarlett are the foreigner GOATs
11BC2
Profile Joined March 2017
4 Posts
August 01 2018 05:46 GMT
#133
On August 01 2018 09:26 SetGuitarsToKill wrote:
An interesting reponse article by Brownbear
Bravo and well done. Imo this is a Masterfully Championed article providing unbiased and straight forward analysis. Need more like it.
Cimiur
Profile Joined July 2011
Italy4 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-08-01 09:02:33
August 01 2018 08:52 GMT
#134
Very good article, you managed to put in words what I've been feeling for quite a while.

I also agree with some other of the previous posts:

- overhype is annoying

- some casters do it a lot more than others

- I wish there was more in depth analysis (which I feel has been decreasing more and more over the years, for example there used to be an analysis section after games with ToD who would point out on a screen a couple of crucial moments, explaining them in depth by drawing arrows and stuff)

- casters should be a bit more "honest" when talking about someone who played bad. Someone can play like crap for many reasons and it happens to everyone, but since they are professionals, you should point it out. In cs:go or even in football, when someone is underperforming they say it clearly and without sweetening the pill

- I don't mind casual talking during "dead-time" in the game

- that said I understand that casting is live, and sometimes they do it for hours. I do (and probably always will) enjoy a lot watching live, commentated professional sc2 games


I think that the sc2 community is very passionate and I am sure that all these "critics" are done without malice, so that we can all enjoy our favourite esport even more.
EsportsJohn
Profile Blog Joined June 2012
United States4883 Posts
August 01 2018 08:54 GMT
#135
On August 01 2018 14:46 11BC2 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 01 2018 09:26 SetGuitarsToKill wrote:
An interesting reponse article by Brownbear
Bravo and well done. Imo this is a Masterfully Championed article providing unbiased and straight forward analysis. Need more like it.


Undeniably the best rebuttal article I've ever seen in my history of reading StarCraft articles. No one has ever provided counter arguments like this. Ever.
StrategyAllyssa Grey <3<3
Bijan
Profile Joined October 2010
United States286 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-08-01 15:10:35
August 01 2018 15:04 GMT
#136
The more I think about this article and the topic the more I've come to realize that people that like these "hype casters" probably don't take each instance of hyperbole as being incredibly important. In my mind I don't remember all of the hype. A lot of time I write off "best ever" comments to mean "the best right now in the caster's opinion".

In the same way I write these comments off, I think those that have issues can't get over these instances that really aren't taking up that much air-time. If someone can post a few examples of a lengthy monologue about how such and such player is the best ever I would understand more, but I have a feeling we're talking about a few sentences uttered in excitement that some viewers obsess over. And even if a few examples can be brought up (Artosis harping on Rogue's late game and his recent love affair with Leenock comes to mind) we are talking about something that is mostly an opinion.

I still think the article brings up great points though. These are areas that casters could improve on, especially the second topic which has largely been ignored by this thread, but I think so much of the debate back and forth is stemming from the fact that some people claim that these "best ever" statements make a caster annoying or even unwatchable (which i don't think is the opinion of the author to be clear). I think it says more about their own personalities than the ability or style of the casters.
Paralyzar1
Profile Joined August 2017
United States6 Posts
August 02 2018 01:25 GMT
#137
I've seen many tournaments in CS:GO, where "Fallen is the greatest awper of all time only he could land that shot!" or "He's the greatest IGL of all time, no one would of known to make that call" (Other players lead their teams to more wins in CS history including CSS and 1.6) "Guardian is the greatest awper ever! No one could flick like that" When.. if you go back, there's been times where multiple awpers were the best.. If Kinney S heard that what would he say? Or in league, "He's the greatest mid laner ever no one could ultimate that guy like Faker could" when in reality anyone can land a lux (random char name, not specific) ult even in gold or lower. These things are said because it's in the moment, i disagree with a lot of what's mentioned in this article, but the fact that you seem to begrudgingly going after specifically Artosis in the one comment is what bothers me the most. He's been around forever and i can't say he's immune to criticism because obviously everyone is, but a lot of what he states is true or true in the moment. To say it's Sc2 where this happens the most is just not true at all, you didn't do enough research into other games.. Just watch any finals with SK in CS or SKT1 In League( I watch a VAST amount of SC1/2, League, and CSGO), it's going to be said all the little minute things their stars do are remarked as "the only players that could do it". Well that sums up my thoughts.. You made an article.
Uhh
neroth01
Profile Joined August 2018
1 Post
August 02 2018 09:59 GMT
#138
The thing with Tastosis is(and that would be bold statement):

Artosis- puts long hours preparing for his casting, also playing the game a ton, you can see the work hes putting in

on the other hand

Tasteless: i feel like hes not playing the game at all anymore and treating casting purely as a job, not always having fun from it(and thats completly fine). Its just so weird that community belives blindly in those guys never questioning them. I love them too, dont get me wrong, i would just like a bit of honesty
Hok
Profile Joined April 2013
Canada42 Posts
August 02 2018 10:45 GMT
#139
This article is doing quite the opposite than what is needed for this community. While we can all bitch and moan at certain things in this game and certainly industry, there is so much more support that is needed. While I think analysis and criticism is needed for some improvement, high level and valued analysis and criticism is followed by suggestion and supporting evidence and solutions. This article is just a rantfest where none is needed. I don't think what our game needs improvement is in this article AT ALL. not only is it not valuable, it destroys any goodwill we need for our game to succeed in the long run.

How about using insights to help in:
- long term business models for BW/SC2 for increased viewership / money making
- player support systems and career management
- content partnerships and tiered content
... to name a few.

disappointed in this article and even having this on this great site.
Kavax
Profile Joined July 2018
1 Post
August 02 2018 12:02 GMT
#140
Artosis revealed on the Pylon that Olli had personal beef with him in the past. I'm not sure if Olli is aware of what motivates his mind.
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
16:00
#65
RotterdaM928
TaKeTV 328
TKL 325
IndyStarCraft 202
BRAT_OK 97
ZombieGrub59
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 928
TKL 325
IndyStarCraft 202
MaxPax 177
BRAT_OK 97
UpATreeSC 91
ZombieGrub59
JuggernautJason54
Nathanias 28
EmSc Tv 18
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 680
ggaemo 167
White-Ra 151
firebathero 82
Barracks 61
910 50
Killer 26
Shine 25
Trap 25
yabsab 7
Dota 2
qojqva3656
Counter-Strike
Fnx 792
Super Smash Bros
C9.Mang0174
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby9589
crisheroes1725
Liquid`Hasu1590
Trikslyr63
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi4389
summit1g3323
singsing1387
Beastyqt801
shahzam435
B2W.Neo354
KnowMe126
ArmadaUGS109
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream422
Other Games
BasetradeTV220
StarCraft 2
EmSc Tv 18
EmSc2Tv 18
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• kabyraGe 176
• Reevou 2
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 20
• Azhi_Dahaki16
• FirePhoenix11
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• TFBlade914
Other Games
• Shiphtur329
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
14h 37m
Afreeca Starleague
14h 37m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 4h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 15h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.