• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:50
CEST 18:50
KST 01:50
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)47Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8630 users

2016 StarCraft II World Championship Series - Page 20

Forum Index > SC2 General
618 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 18 19 20 21 22 31 Next All
BLinD-RawR
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
ALLEYCAT BLUES51544 Posts
December 18 2015 02:40 GMT
#381
On December 18 2015 11:38 The_Red_Viper wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 18 2015 11:08 BLinD-RawR wrote:
I wonder why the need to cut a third of the events in korea.

Money and direct seeding for global playoffs.


yeah I mean great for players/fans but broadcasters are losing out on this deal, I mean its ok for SPOTV since they have LoL content now but what about afreeca?
Brood War EICWoo Jung Ho, never forget.| Twitter: @BLinDRawR
Big J
Profile Joined March 2011
Austria16289 Posts
December 18 2015 02:43 GMT
#382
Don't know what to think of it. I liked the old WCS system with the region lock which made for this awesome huge foreigner league (+a handful of Koreans that actually lived abroad).
This Circuit doesn't sound as hype, but dunno, maybe the Spring/Summer/Winter Finals will be.

Also Koreans not battling with foreigners in weekend events doesn't sound fun.
Diabolique
Profile Joined June 2015
Czech Republic5118 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-12-18 02:52:33
December 18 2015 02:50 GMT
#383
On December 18 2015 11:40 SlammerIV wrote:
Can people please stop trying to speak for the entire fanbase of starcraft! I am a huge Starcraft fan, I have watched almost every tournament since early 2013 and I am super excited and hyped for the new system blizzard is implementing. I respect the fact that many here on TL disagree but can we at least admit that there is at least a large percentage of StarCraft fans who support region locking.

I think we need to understand why Koreans are so good at starcraft, imo it is not because they work harder or are genetically superior, it is simply because they benefit from the infrastructure in Korea which allows new talent to get on a team, make some money, and actually make a living. Up until now very few non Korean players have had the money, practice, or infrastructure which enables a player to dedicate their lives to becoming the absolute best. The new system will provide a reason for players to actually put in the huge level of dedication required to reach the level of Korean players. I do not understand how people choose to ignore the simple economics of the situation. Why would someone put in the effort required when they are not going to receive any benefit. Now Blizzard is giving players a real shot at making a living off gaming.

No, there is not a "large percentage of fans who support region locking". But there are some for sure, e.g. all the non-
Korean players. We will have a "Division A" and "Division B". Different levels of competition, but the same money. The Division A players will play among themselves and will still be great players. The division B players will play among themselves and ... (through some miracle?) will soon reach the level of the Division A players?

I understand the enthusiasm of all the western players - if someone told me, my salary will be doubled, tripled, quadrupled, I would be also enthusiastic and would promise, I will work twice harder. Will I?
sOs | Rogue | Maru | Trap | Scarlett | Snute | MC
Thax
Profile Joined July 2014
Belgium1060 Posts
December 18 2015 02:54 GMT
#384
On December 18 2015 09:34 CrayonPopChoa wrote:
If foreigners so badly want to have a chance to win then why not just have a 2 league system, like a major and minor league, the koreans and the foreigners then get there own top 16 championship brackets at WCS Finals. This way people can watch the top tier sc2 players and also their foreign heroes.

That's exactly what this is going to be. Yet people are still complaining. Just with an 8 championship bracket instead of 16.

I'm amazed* at how few people here grasp the idea that if you want SC2 to develop longterm you need to develop the global scene. It's never going to be a big e-sport if it stays a niche scene mostly limited to a single country ( which has trouble even sustaining that scene). And it can't develop if it doesn't get room to breath because the Koreans that spill over from their own scene come in and hover up all the meaningful amounts of money leaving nothing to motivate and sustain all but a lucky few global players.

* Well, given the horrific fails in reading comprehension from the beginning of this thread I'm not really that amazed.
ThePacifist
Profile Joined March 2015
Korea (South)46 Posts
December 18 2015 03:02 GMT
#385
On December 18 2015 11:22 BLinD-RawR wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 18 2015 10:42 ThePacifist wrote:
OMG... Lots of Korean players gonna retire


what has the reaction been from korean players and fans?


Well, most of them don't like that there will be only 2 seasons for S2SL and GSL each, and residency-lock on WCS Events. but increased prize pool.
A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemy.
Diabolique
Profile Joined June 2015
Czech Republic5118 Posts
December 18 2015 03:05 GMT
#386
IEM, please, stay WCS Global Event!!!!
sOs | Rogue | Maru | Trap | Scarlett | Snute | MC
showstealer1829
Profile Blog Joined May 2014
Australia3123 Posts
December 18 2015 03:06 GMT
#387
On December 18 2015 11:54 Thax wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 18 2015 09:34 CrayonPopChoa wrote:
If foreigners so badly want to have a chance to win then why not just have a 2 league system, like a major and minor league, the koreans and the foreigners then get there own top 16 championship brackets at WCS Finals. This way people can watch the top tier sc2 players and also their foreign heroes.

That's exactly what this is going to be. Yet people are still complaining. Just with an 8 championship bracket instead of 16.

I'm amazed* at how few people here grasp the idea that if you want SC2 to develop longterm you need to develop the global scene. It's never going to be a big e-sport if it stays a niche scene mostly limited to a single country ( which has trouble even sustaining that scene). And it can't develop if it doesn't get room to breath because the Koreans that spill over from their own scene come in and hover up all the meaningful amounts of money leaving nothing to motivate and sustain all but a lucky few global players.

* Well, given the horrific fails in reading comprehension from the beginning of this thread I'm not really that amazed.


The Global Scene will not improve, they'll still lose to Koreans on the big stage

The Korean scene will wither because a lot of players will be forced to retire or won't get onto teams.

There won't be any money because a lot of people simply won't watch the region locked tournaments

Blizzard basically cured a mild tummyache by shooting themselves in the head
There is no understanding. There is only Choya. Choya is the way. Choya is Love. Choya is Life. Has is the Light in the Protoss Dark and Nightmare is his chosen Acolyte
SlammerIV
Profile Joined December 2013
United States526 Posts
December 18 2015 03:11 GMT
#388
On December 18 2015 11:50 Diabolique wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 18 2015 11:40 SlammerIV wrote:
Can people please stop trying to speak for the entire fanbase of starcraft! I am a huge Starcraft fan, I have watched almost every tournament since early 2013 and I am super excited and hyped for the new system blizzard is implementing. I respect the fact that many here on TL disagree but can we at least admit that there is at least a large percentage of StarCraft fans who support region locking.

I think we need to understand why Koreans are so good at starcraft, imo it is not because they work harder or are genetically superior, it is simply because they benefit from the infrastructure in Korea which allows new talent to get on a team, make some money, and actually make a living. Up until now very few non Korean players have had the money, practice, or infrastructure which enables a player to dedicate their lives to becoming the absolute best. The new system will provide a reason for players to actually put in the huge level of dedication required to reach the level of Korean players. I do not understand how people choose to ignore the simple economics of the situation. Why would someone put in the effort required when they are not going to receive any benefit. Now Blizzard is giving players a real shot at making a living off gaming.

No, there is not a "large percentage of fans who support region locking". But there are some for sure, e.g. all the non-
Korean players. We will have a "Division A" and "Division B". Different levels of competition, but the same money. The Division A players will play among themselves and will still be great players. The division B players will play among themselves and ... (through some miracle?) will soon reach the level of the Division A players?

I understand the enthusiasm of all the western players - if someone told me, my salary will be doubled, tripled, quadrupled, I would be also enthusiastic and would promise, I will work twice harder. Will I?


You do not know the number of fans who support region locking any more than I do, browsing reddit and TL I saw many people who posted positive comments. TL probably has the most hardcore audience so it is understandable that the majority of posts here are anti region locking, however the more casual viewer, which by the way is who Blizzard is trying to reach, supports region locking. Just because you have a certain opinion does not mean that a huge majority agrees with you.
BreAKerTV
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
Taiwan1658 Posts
December 18 2015 03:14 GMT
#389
Isn't it just better to just keep the prize pool the same, add more travel support to IEM, dreamhack, etc. with regional player requirements, but restrict Koreans to staying in Korea, while simultaneously keeping the same WCS tournaments in 2015?
Retired caster / streamer "BingeHD". Digital Nomad.
stuchiu
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Fiddler's Green42661 Posts
December 18 2015 03:20 GMT
#390
On December 18 2015 12:11 SlammerIV wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 18 2015 11:50 Diabolique wrote:
On December 18 2015 11:40 SlammerIV wrote:
Can people please stop trying to speak for the entire fanbase of starcraft! I am a huge Starcraft fan, I have watched almost every tournament since early 2013 and I am super excited and hyped for the new system blizzard is implementing. I respect the fact that many here on TL disagree but can we at least admit that there is at least a large percentage of StarCraft fans who support region locking.

I think we need to understand why Koreans are so good at starcraft, imo it is not because they work harder or are genetically superior, it is simply because they benefit from the infrastructure in Korea which allows new talent to get on a team, make some money, and actually make a living. Up until now very few non Korean players have had the money, practice, or infrastructure which enables a player to dedicate their lives to becoming the absolute best. The new system will provide a reason for players to actually put in the huge level of dedication required to reach the level of Korean players. I do not understand how people choose to ignore the simple economics of the situation. Why would someone put in the effort required when they are not going to receive any benefit. Now Blizzard is giving players a real shot at making a living off gaming.

No, there is not a "large percentage of fans who support region locking". But there are some for sure, e.g. all the non-
Korean players. We will have a "Division A" and "Division B". Different levels of competition, but the same money. The Division A players will play among themselves and will still be great players. The division B players will play among themselves and ... (through some miracle?) will soon reach the level of the Division A players?

I understand the enthusiasm of all the western players - if someone told me, my salary will be doubled, tripled, quadrupled, I would be also enthusiastic and would promise, I will work twice harder. Will I?


You do not know the number of fans who support region locking any more than I do, browsing reddit and TL I saw many people who posted positive comments. TL probably has the most hardcore audience so it is understandable that the majority of posts here are anti region locking, however the more casual viewer, which by the way is who Blizzard is trying to reach, supports region locking. Just because you have a certain opinion does not mean that a huge majority agrees with you.


Same logic applies to you as well. No one knows. The only person who had hard numbers was TB who had run Shoutcraft, but that was just 2 cases.
Moderator
JimmyJRaynor
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada17882 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-12-18 03:31:54
December 18 2015 03:21 GMT
#391
On December 18 2015 09:44 DwD wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 18 2015 09:37 Nerchio wrote:
On December 18 2015 09:35 DwD wrote:
On December 18 2015 09:29 Nerchio wrote:
The truth is - we could see some foreigners fighting in 2012 and before that. Then the scene got crushed and even if we would have someone that could stand up and fight it was a like a bird that was killed before it even learned how to fly. Now the bird might have a chance to learn how to fly even if there is bigger birds in the sky, thank you I go to sleep now.


Any foreigner who is on a serious team have the opportunity to go to Korea tomorrow and practice to be the best. You won't become the best by playing on the NA ladder 5 games a day.

Look at some of the best foreign hope through the time. Like Jinro, Huk, Snute, Naniwa, Scarlett etc. They all went to Korea, dedicated themselves and what happened? They got good at the freaking game.
Why do you need the charity help so badly?

I for one am not looking forward with half the bracket being full of foreigners who can't be bothered to practice aka LilBow for the biggest tournament of the year.

As I said, going to Korea is not a solution to anything. Kespa is not going to welcome you with open hands. You can throw examples left and right but there is no foreigner that really dedicated in Korea.


No one is dedicated right now and it shows. Because no foreigner is good at the game.
What do you mean Kespa is not going to welcome you? Blizzard just said in this statement that any player can play in Korea if they want. Talk to a Korean team, ask if you can rent a bed if you can't then why not rent a 1 bedroom apartment in Seoul and go HAM on the KR Ladder. Judging by your team's winning and yourself you can afford it. That's where most KR pros get their practice anyway.


a foriegn player will have to take it to Guilliame Patry levels and learn the language and fully assimilate.

elite basketball players do this all the time by moving to the USA and learning to become fluent in english while at the same time learning their sport and assimilating into american culture and assimilating into the "baller" subculture. the "baller" subculture's language is english. you can't be part of that subculture if you only speak Farsi, French or Russian. If you aspire to become the best basketball player in the world while at the same time refusing to learn how to speak english you are on a suicide mission. Same applies with Starcraft and speaking Korean.

There are probably only a handful of foriegn players with the talent and work ethic to pull off both becoming a top SC2 pro while at the same time learning to speak Korean and assimilating into the culture. The monetary reward is negligible. Therefore, I can hardly "blame" any of these foriegn players for refusing to do what Guilliame Patry did 15 years ago.

The NBA provides monetary rewards 1000 times better than any SC2 pro will ever receive.
Ray Kassar To David Crane : "you're no more important to Atari than the factory workers assembling the cartridges"
CrayonPopChoa
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
Canada761 Posts
December 18 2015 03:22 GMT
#392
I think its retarded to have that much money up for grabs at the global finals. That 200k to the champ you can easily just make it 100k and 50k for second place. The 150k you save can then go to other smaller tourneys. Like spread the wealth man.
BW4LIFE
Phredxor
Profile Joined May 2013
New Zealand15076 Posts
December 18 2015 03:26 GMT
#393
On December 18 2015 12:11 SlammerIV wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 18 2015 11:50 Diabolique wrote:
On December 18 2015 11:40 SlammerIV wrote:
Can people please stop trying to speak for the entire fanbase of starcraft! I am a huge Starcraft fan, I have watched almost every tournament since early 2013 and I am super excited and hyped for the new system blizzard is implementing. I respect the fact that many here on TL disagree but can we at least admit that there is at least a large percentage of StarCraft fans who support region locking.

I think we need to understand why Koreans are so good at starcraft, imo it is not because they work harder or are genetically superior, it is simply because they benefit from the infrastructure in Korea which allows new talent to get on a team, make some money, and actually make a living. Up until now very few non Korean players have had the money, practice, or infrastructure which enables a player to dedicate their lives to becoming the absolute best. The new system will provide a reason for players to actually put in the huge level of dedication required to reach the level of Korean players. I do not understand how people choose to ignore the simple economics of the situation. Why would someone put in the effort required when they are not going to receive any benefit. Now Blizzard is giving players a real shot at making a living off gaming.

No, there is not a "large percentage of fans who support region locking". But there are some for sure, e.g. all the non-
Korean players. We will have a "Division A" and "Division B". Different levels of competition, but the same money. The Division A players will play among themselves and will still be great players. The division B players will play among themselves and ... (through some miracle?) will soon reach the level of the Division A players?

I understand the enthusiasm of all the western players - if someone told me, my salary will be doubled, tripled, quadrupled, I would be also enthusiastic and would promise, I will work twice harder. Will I?


You do not know the number of fans who support region locking any more than I do, browsing reddit and TL I saw many people who posted positive comments. TL probably has the most hardcore audience so it is understandable that the majority of posts here are anti region locking, however the more casual viewer, which by the way is who Blizzard is trying to reach, supports region locking. Just because you have a certain opinion does not mean that a huge majority agrees with you.


Strange thing to say since it kinda ruins your argument too. You're both just assuming you're in the majority.

I just don't see why people think the 'casual audience' will care more with region locking in place. I don't see it making any difference to people who don't watch SC2 currently.

Time will tell though.
Diabolique
Profile Joined June 2015
Czech Republic5118 Posts
December 18 2015 03:27 GMT
#394
On December 18 2015 12:11 SlammerIV wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 18 2015 11:50 Diabolique wrote:
On December 18 2015 11:40 SlammerIV wrote:
Can people please stop trying to speak for the entire fanbase of starcraft! I am a huge Starcraft fan, I have watched almost every tournament since early 2013 and I am super excited and hyped for the new system blizzard is implementing. I respect the fact that many here on TL disagree but can we at least admit that there is at least a large percentage of StarCraft fans who support region locking.

I think we need to understand why Koreans are so good at starcraft, imo it is not because they work harder or are genetically superior, it is simply because they benefit from the infrastructure in Korea which allows new talent to get on a team, make some money, and actually make a living. Up until now very few non Korean players have had the money, practice, or infrastructure which enables a player to dedicate their lives to becoming the absolute best. The new system will provide a reason for players to actually put in the huge level of dedication required to reach the level of Korean players. I do not understand how people choose to ignore the simple economics of the situation. Why would someone put in the effort required when they are not going to receive any benefit. Now Blizzard is giving players a real shot at making a living off gaming.

No, there is not a "large percentage of fans who support region locking". But there are some for sure, e.g. all the non-
Korean players. We will have a "Division A" and "Division B". Different levels of competition, but the same money. The Division A players will play among themselves and will still be great players. The division B players will play among themselves and ... (through some miracle?) will soon reach the level of the Division A players?

I understand the enthusiasm of all the western players - if someone told me, my salary will be doubled, tripled, quadrupled, I would be also enthusiastic and would promise, I will work twice harder. Will I?


You do not know the number of fans who support region locking any more than I do, browsing reddit and TL I saw many people who posted positive comments. TL probably has the most hardcore audience so it is understandable that the majority of posts here are anti region locking, however the more casual viewer, which by the way is who Blizzard is trying to reach, supports region locking. Just because you have a certain opinion does not mean that a huge majority agrees with you.

We are discussing a very tight nuance.

I do not think, people even here on TL are against some welfare tournaments for weak foreign players, who do not manage to get to the larger ones. That is OK. We are not forced to watch them. We did even cheer for the WCS 2015 even with the player pool, it had.

More money - that is great!

More tournaments - even more great!

In fact, I somehow do not mind that much having 8 foreigners to BlizzCon. It can be funny to see 8 beat ups like Lilbow and compete, who lasts more minutes.

But there are the bad things:
No more IEM in the quality, it had in the last years? Probably, we will still see, what they say. If IEM is not region locked, I will not be so disappointed.

Only 2 seasons of GSL / SSL. Very sad.

Only 8 Koreans going to BlizzCon? Fuck it! Together with only 2 seasons of GSL and SSL and region locking of the most foreign tournaments, this means, that not the best Koreans will come to BlizzCon, but it will be a lottery. You have 4 attempts per year to win or end up second in one of the 2 leagues in Korea. You make 4 times 3rd place? Sorry. You probably won't qualify for BlizzCon. It will be random, based on the actual form in the moment of the tournament. Not the long term performace, it is now. This is sad. For all the Korean players.

I would be fine with all the changes if two things happened:
1. IEM stays not region locked. But when you look at the current IEM, it seems, they will even cancel SC2 completely.
2. If the system took 16 best Koreans and 8 best foreigners to BlizzCon and mixes them somehow into groups, brackets, ... that would be awesome. Or 12 Koreans and 4 foreigners.
sOs | Rogue | Maru | Trap | Scarlett | Snute | MC
Nebuchad
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
Switzerland12539 Posts
December 18 2015 03:30 GMT
#395
Depending on how many global tourneys there are this could look very similar to 2015 in terms of actual games' content. There is virtually no way IEM won't have global tourneys, DH and RedBull I'm not so sure (it would surprise me if RedBull had any, perhaps just one?)
No will to live, no wish to die
Doodsmack
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States7224 Posts
December 18 2015 03:30 GMT
#396
On December 18 2015 12:06 showstealer1829 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 18 2015 11:54 Thax wrote:
On December 18 2015 09:34 CrayonPopChoa wrote:
If foreigners so badly want to have a chance to win then why not just have a 2 league system, like a major and minor league, the koreans and the foreigners then get there own top 16 championship brackets at WCS Finals. This way people can watch the top tier sc2 players and also their foreign heroes.

That's exactly what this is going to be. Yet people are still complaining. Just with an 8 championship bracket instead of 16.

I'm amazed* at how few people here grasp the idea that if you want SC2 to develop longterm you need to develop the global scene. It's never going to be a big e-sport if it stays a niche scene mostly limited to a single country ( which has trouble even sustaining that scene). And it can't develop if it doesn't get room to breath because the Koreans that spill over from their own scene come in and hover up all the meaningful amounts of money leaving nothing to motivate and sustain all but a lucky few global players.

* Well, given the horrific fails in reading comprehension from the beginning of this thread I'm not really that amazed.


The Global Scene will not improve, they'll still lose to Koreans on the big stage

The Korean scene will wither because a lot of players will be forced to retire or won't get onto teams.

There won't be any money because a lot of people simply won't watch the region locked tournaments

Blizzard basically cured a mild tummyache by shooting themselves in the head


Yes I'm sure your doom and gloom prediction will pan out, after all everyone knows how good the TL userbase is at predicting the scene being ruined LOL.
Doodsmack
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States7224 Posts
December 18 2015 03:31 GMT
#397
On December 18 2015 06:23 Keeemy wrote:
Only 2 seasons of GSL and SSL? And 8 spots for them?

RIP Korean pros.

E: That cross finals thing helps I guess.


Glad I didn't have to read too many posts before I saw exaggerations and drama queenage.
EatingBomber
Profile Joined August 2015
1017 Posts
December 18 2015 03:36 GMT
#398
On December 18 2015 08:53 pure.Wasted wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 18 2015 08:34 Nerchio wrote:
Hots being a terrible game didn't help either, these were the 2 things that got matched together. In WOL somehow we had players that could sometimes player or even beat the best koreans( Stephano/ Naniwa/ me/ Thorzain or whatever). Don't tell me about broodlord infestor.


How was HotS a terrible game?

edit: found your response

Even if you're right about certain MUs becoming worse (ZvZ, ZvP), I don't understand why that should disproportionately affect Koreans differently from foreigners.

Besides, there are no doubts that the most talented Zergs in Korea were able to win during HotS - Soulkey, soO, ByuL, Life are all indisputably respected for their skills. So regardless of the MUs being better or worse in some esoteric sense, they must have been rewarding skilled players or Soulkey/soO/ByuL/Life wouldn't have continued winning. Again, foreigners are disproportionately affected.

I think what's a lot more likely is that the skill ceiling went up with HotS and went up again with LotV. I don't believe it is a coincidence that foreign Terrans enjoyed the least amount of success in HotS and will again in LotV.


Ah, a patchzerg of WoL who got rightfully crushed by Mvp in IEM Cologne complains about Brood Lord-Infestor. Truly, the jokes write themselves.
munch
Profile Joined July 2014
Mute City2363 Posts
December 18 2015 03:40 GMT
#399
On December 18 2015 12:30 Nebuchad wrote:
Depending on how many global tourneys there are this could look very similar to 2015 in terms of actual games' content. There is virtually no way IEM won't have global tourneys, DH and RedBull I'm not so sure (it would surprise me if RedBull had any, perhaps just one?)


There's pretty much no market now for the smaller LANs featuring Koreans (e.g. Gfinity), while out of all the DH / IEM / Red Bull events last year, there was a grand total of two events which had a prize pool of 50k necessary to qualify as a Global Event (IEM WC and DHW, while the rest were $25k).

Sure, ESL could divert funds used in WCS 2015 to cover global events in 2016, but it's unlikely that we'll match the total weekenders seen in 2015, let alone 2013/14. And whatever happens, it sure won't make up for two fewer starleagues.
WriterForm is temporary, MMA is permanent || http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/508630-article-archive
SlammerIV
Profile Joined December 2013
United States526 Posts
December 18 2015 03:44 GMT
#400
On December 18 2015 12:27 Diabolique wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 18 2015 12:11 SlammerIV wrote:
On December 18 2015 11:50 Diabolique wrote:
On December 18 2015 11:40 SlammerIV wrote:
Can people please stop trying to speak for the entire fanbase of starcraft! I am a huge Starcraft fan, I have watched almost every tournament since early 2013 and I am super excited and hyped for the new system blizzard is implementing. I respect the fact that many here on TL disagree but can we at least admit that there is at least a large percentage of StarCraft fans who support region locking.

I think we need to understand why Koreans are so good at starcraft, imo it is not because they work harder or are genetically superior, it is simply because they benefit from the infrastructure in Korea which allows new talent to get on a team, make some money, and actually make a living. Up until now very few non Korean players have had the money, practice, or infrastructure which enables a player to dedicate their lives to becoming the absolute best. The new system will provide a reason for players to actually put in the huge level of dedication required to reach the level of Korean players. I do not understand how people choose to ignore the simple economics of the situation. Why would someone put in the effort required when they are not going to receive any benefit. Now Blizzard is giving players a real shot at making a living off gaming.

No, there is not a "large percentage of fans who support region locking". But there are some for sure, e.g. all the non-
Korean players. We will have a "Division A" and "Division B". Different levels of competition, but the same money. The Division A players will play among themselves and will still be great players. The division B players will play among themselves and ... (through some miracle?) will soon reach the level of the Division A players?

I understand the enthusiasm of all the western players - if someone told me, my salary will be doubled, tripled, quadrupled, I would be also enthusiastic and would promise, I will work twice harder. Will I?


Alright, very fair.
I guess I am bit more op
You do not know the number of fans who support region locking any more than I do, browsing reddit and TL I saw many people who posted positive comments. TL probably has the most hardcore audience so it is understandable that the majority of posts here are anti region locking, however the more casual viewer, which by the way is who Blizzard is trying to reach, supports region locking. Just because you have a certain opinion does not mean that a huge majority agrees with you.

We are discussing a very tight nuance.

I do not think, people even here on TL are against some welfare tournaments for weak foreign players, who do not manage to get to the larger ones. That is OK. We are not forced to watch them. We did even cheer for the WCS 2015 even with the player pool, it had.

More money - that is great!

More tournaments - even more great!

In fact, I somehow do not mind that much having 8 foreigners to BlizzCon. It can be funny to see 8 beat ups like Lilbow and compete, who lasts more minutes.

But there are the bad things:
No more IEM in the quality, it had in the last years? Probably, we will still see, what they say. If IEM is not region locked, I will not be so disappointed.

Only 2 seasons of GSL / SSL. Very sad.

Only 8 Koreans going to BlizzCon? Fuck it! Together with only 2 seasons of GSL and SSL and region locking of the most foreign tournaments, this means, that not the best Koreans will come to BlizzCon, but it will be a lottery. You have 4 attempts per year to win or end up second in one of the 2 leagues in Korea. You make 4 times 3rd place? Sorry. You probably won't qualify for BlizzCon. It will be random, based on the actual form in the moment of the tournament. Not the long term performace, it is now. This is sad. For all the Korean players.

I would be fine with all the changes if two things happened:
1. IEM stays not region locked. But when you look at the current IEM, it seems, they will even cancel SC2 completely.
2. If the system took 16 best Koreans and 8 best foreigners to BlizzCon and mixes them somehow into groups, brackets, ... that would be awesome. Or 12 Koreans and 4 foreigners.


Alright fair enough.

I guess I am just more optimistic. At this point we don't really know how many Global events along the lines of IEM with open qualifiers will exist. I think there will still be a solid amount of IEM style tournaments to go around. As for GSL SSL I think the 6 tournaments last year was a bit too much, it really felt rushed and lessened the hype a bit with a GSL or SSL final every other week. I also think the more open Korean schedule will allow for more other tournaments along the lines of kespa cup and hot6six cup. Also these events will hopefully have blizzard money for larger prize pools as well as WCS points available.

I agree that the Champion slots for GSL and SSL seem a bit bad, as you pointed out seems to reward a single performance over consistency. However, lets be real, pretty much every GSL and SSL champ was in the top 8 of Blizzcon last year, so this year will not be that different in that respect. And overall in my opinion the benefits of the system in respects to growing the foreign scene, more money, and greater overall support far outweighs concerns over a less than optimal Blizzcon system.
Prev 1 18 19 20 21 22 31 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 2
IntoTheiNu 1130
ComeBackTV 885
SteadfastSC472
TaKeTV 448
LamboSC2377
IndyStarCraft 169
Rex112
EnkiAlexander 51
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
13:00
King of the Hill #263
EmpressLilyy24
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 472
LamboSC2 377
mouzHeroMarine 322
IndyStarCraft 169
ProTech156
Rex 112
UpATreeSC 91
BRAT_OK 72
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 32226
Shuttle 1541
EffOrt 892
Light 682
Mini 617
Soma 477
firebathero 287
Rush 211
Snow 189
ZerO 162
[ Show more ]
hero 103
sorry 52
Liquid`Ret 50
Killer 42
ToSsGirL 25
Sexy 24
Trap 20
Terrorterran 20
soO 20
Bale 17
Shine 15
Free 11
Sacsri 11
ajuk12(nOOB) 8
Dota 2
Gorgc7133
qojqva1841
Dendi958
420jenkins129
Counter-Strike
fl0m1344
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor2026
crisheroes1257
XaKoH 213
MindelVK9
Other Games
singsing1721
B2W.Neo1054
Beastyqt512
FrodaN405
Hui .192
ArmadaUGS190
KnowMe136
QueenE103
ceh971
Trikslyr63
C9.Mang060
Mew2King53
Dewaltoss41
ZerO(Twitch)17
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream70
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 5
• Migwel
• IndyKCrew
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• intothetv
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 23
• FirePhoenix14
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3290
• TFBlade1231
Other Games
• imaqtpie406
• Shiphtur240
• WagamamaTV191
Upcoming Events
OSC
7h 10m
Stellar Fest
20h 10m
OSC
1d 5h
CranKy Ducklings
1d 17h
Online Event
1d 18h
FEL
1d 23h
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.