• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:10
CEST 20:10
KST 03:10
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
MLB/Baseball 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7619 users

Blizzard Reportedly Radically Overhauling WCS - Page 7

Forum Index > SC2 General
827 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 42 Next All
MrMotionPicture
Profile Joined May 2010
United States4327 Posts
December 12 2015 00:19 GMT
#121
Okay, so Koreans training in Korea cannot come to foreign tournaments?? What a waste of good game potential.
"Elvis Presley" | Ret was looking at my post in the GSL video by Artosis. | MMA told me I look like Juanfran while we shared an elevator with Scarlett
kinsky
Profile Joined November 2010
Germany368 Posts
December 12 2015 00:19 GMT
#122
gg wp sc2. so...is there a new strategy game in planing?
oo_Wonderful_oo
Profile Blog Joined December 2013
The land of freedom23126 Posts
December 12 2015 00:19 GMT
#123
On December 12 2015 09:18 Cricketer12 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 12 2015 09:14 FueledUpAndReadyToGo wrote:
Catz says we should chill


I would like to hear CatZ give an extended response to this, I'm curious as to why he thinks this is a good idea.


He's on NDA.
LiquidLegends StaffFPL 25 #1 | tfw I cast games on-air | back-to-back Liquibet winner
MiniFotToss
Profile Joined December 2013
China2430 Posts
December 12 2015 00:20 GMT
#124
On December 12 2015 08:51 Elentos wrote:
Meanwhile, in GSL...

Where is Rain and PartinG??!!
Cricketer12
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
United States14003 Posts
December 12 2015 00:20 GMT
#125
On December 12 2015 09:18 ZAiNs wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 12 2015 09:17 Cricketer12 wrote:
On December 12 2015 09:15 ZAiNs wrote:
On December 12 2015 09:13 Cricketer12 wrote:
Hey guys, remember 2013 when WCS was good?

Or 2015 which had the best WCS and the best Blizzcon .

I disagree 100% although 2015 had the best finals, the rest of the tournament was rather lackluster

I think it objectively had the most skillful line-up. I thought the quality of games in general were also the best, but that is beside the point.

I think I can agree it prob had the best lineup, I didn't really feel like any of the series stood out (Rain v Polt, PartinG v sOs and most of the Cactus Valley games admittedly were good, but overall it was a very meh tournament)
Engage, Zero target Engage, Engage, Kagari target Engage, Engage.
Die4Ever
Profile Joined August 2010
United States17750 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-12-12 00:21:53
December 12 2015 00:21 GMT
#126
This would mean we get like at least 5 foreigners at Blizzcon? I don't like it. And wait, that also means the international tournaments won't have many Koreans? What would even be the point in watching...?
"Expert" mods4ever.com
[PkF] Wire
Profile Joined March 2013
France24239 Posts
December 12 2015 00:22 GMT
#127
I tend to trust CatZ about SC2's greater interests. Let's wait and see.
Cricketer12
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
United States14003 Posts
December 12 2015 00:22 GMT
#128
On December 12 2015 09:21 Die4Ever wrote:
This would mean we get like at least 5 foreigners at Blizzcon? I don't like it. And wait, that also means the international tournaments won't have many Koreans? What would even be the point in watching...?

As I understand it we getting 6-7
Engage, Zero target Engage, Engage, Kagari target Engage, Engage.
Boucot
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
France15997 Posts
December 12 2015 00:22 GMT
#129
On December 12 2015 09:18 ZAiNs wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 12 2015 09:17 Cricketer12 wrote:
On December 12 2015 09:15 ZAiNs wrote:
On December 12 2015 09:13 Cricketer12 wrote:
Hey guys, remember 2013 when WCS was good?

Or 2015 which had the best WCS and the best Blizzcon .

I disagree 100% although 2015 had the best finals, the rest of the tournament was rather lackluster

I think it objectively had the most skillful line-up. I thought the quality of games in general were also the best, but that is beside the point.

I think the highest number of good matches was at BlizzCon 2014 but the best final was obviously sOs vs Life in 2015.
Former SC2 writer for Millenium - twitter.com/Boucot
Hider
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Denmark9448 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-12-12 00:25:07
December 12 2015 00:23 GMT
#130
On December 12 2015 08:55 Cricketer12 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 12 2015 08:54 Hider wrote:
I am surprised how many people actually think Blizzard is doing this because they think it will improve the esport-scene. I think it's much more likely that this comes as a result of pressure from organizers. Viewer numbers aren't good and I expect that ESL/Dreamhack all were considering to not have Starcraft at their events/not run WCS.

Hence Blizzard opted to cut down on the WCS spending and pay organizers to continue to run Starcraft tournaments. And obviously if Koreans could participate in those events, it would absolutely ruin any type of hope for foreigners, hence they made a strong region lock.


That's incredibly fucking stupid though, because doing so is to claim that more people are in favor of foreigners winning Koreanless tournaments than people who want to watch the highest quality of play.


You can watch that in GSL/SSL.

The difference there is that you actually get to watch the top A korean players vs each other instead of the second-best koreans facing each other.

Other esports either have top players from all countries (Dota, CSGO)


Dota is not comparable as the scene is much more even.
And you have tons of CS:GO tournamnets where NA scene is effectively isolated from EU scene.

Starcraft tournaments with increased price pool and no region lock would be all koreans from ro16 every time.
stuchiu
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Fiddler's Green42661 Posts
December 12 2015 00:23 GMT
#131
On December 12 2015 09:20 Cricketer12 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 12 2015 09:18 ZAiNs wrote:
On December 12 2015 09:17 Cricketer12 wrote:
On December 12 2015 09:15 ZAiNs wrote:
On December 12 2015 09:13 Cricketer12 wrote:
Hey guys, remember 2013 when WCS was good?

Or 2015 which had the best WCS and the best Blizzcon .

I disagree 100% although 2015 had the best finals, the rest of the tournament was rather lackluster

I think it objectively had the most skillful line-up. I thought the quality of games in general were also the best, but that is beside the point.

I think I can agree it prob had the best lineup, I didn't really feel like any of the series stood out (Rain v Polt, PartinG v sOs and most of the Cactus Valley games admittedly were good, but overall it was a very meh tournament)


mostly a terrible tournament saved by the finals. sOs vs Parting was good too.
Moderator
Penev
Profile Joined October 2012
28536 Posts
December 12 2015 00:24 GMT
#132
On December 12 2015 09:09 Doodsmack wrote:
lol @ the exaggerations in this thread. You know you'll still be watching.

My guess is Blizzard is cutting costs with running WCS Premier. I'm not sure I can blame them, from a business standpoint. People need to remember that Blizzard is basically running a charity with any support of SC2 esports (unless you argue it's for marketing purposes). They clearly do not make money from it. They have been propping up GSL from the very beginning, by the way.

Kinda. well, the rumor is that ESL wanted out for financial reasons
I Protoss winner, could it be?
Die4Ever
Profile Joined August 2010
United States17750 Posts
December 12 2015 00:24 GMT
#133
On December 12 2015 09:22 Cricketer12 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 12 2015 09:21 Die4Ever wrote:
This would mean we get like at least 5 foreigners at Blizzcon? I don't like it. And wait, that also means the international tournaments won't have many Koreans? What would even be the point in watching...?

As I understand it we getting 6-7

Polt, Hydra, and violet have visas, so we might only get 5 foreigners. Too many either way.
"Expert" mods4ever.com
HeroMystic
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1217 Posts
December 12 2015 00:24 GMT
#134
On December 12 2015 09:17 Ontolog wrote:
I thought having top Korean pros play in regions outside of Korea was raising the level of play in those regions. In fact I thought Blizzard made that happen on purpose for that very reason but I guess not. And I don't understand why its a problem for 1 country to be dominant at a sport anyway. If they are the best then they should be at the top. Not really feelings this move.


I had the same thought, but personally I can only see this as a business move. Not allowing Koreans to travel to foreign tournaments is all around a bad move IMO. Unfortunately, I obviously can't read their minds. Hopefully they can give an explanation later on.
stuchiu
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Fiddler's Green42661 Posts
December 12 2015 00:24 GMT
#135
On December 12 2015 09:22 Cricketer12 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 12 2015 09:21 Die4Ever wrote:
This would mean we get like at least 5 foreigners at Blizzcon? I don't like it. And wait, that also means the international tournaments won't have many Koreans? What would even be the point in watching...?

As I understand it we getting 6-7


Die4ever is assuming Polt/Hydra/one more (maybe Stardust or DRG?) take 3 spots.
Moderator
stuchiu
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Fiddler's Green42661 Posts
December 12 2015 00:25 GMT
#136
On December 12 2015 09:22 Boucot wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 12 2015 09:18 ZAiNs wrote:
On December 12 2015 09:17 Cricketer12 wrote:
On December 12 2015 09:15 ZAiNs wrote:
On December 12 2015 09:13 Cricketer12 wrote:
Hey guys, remember 2013 when WCS was good?

Or 2015 which had the best WCS and the best Blizzcon .

I disagree 100% although 2015 had the best finals, the rest of the tournament was rather lackluster

I think it objectively had the most skillful line-up. I thought the quality of games in general were also the best, but that is beside the point.

I think the highest number of good matches was at BlizzCon 2014 but the best final was obviously sOs vs Life in 2015.


best story was in 2013, but it was never told. RIP duckdeok.
Moderator
Cricketer12
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
United States14003 Posts
December 12 2015 00:25 GMT
#137
On December 12 2015 09:24 Die4Ever wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 12 2015 09:22 Cricketer12 wrote:
On December 12 2015 09:21 Die4Ever wrote:
This would mean we get like at least 5 foreigners at Blizzcon? I don't like it. And wait, that also means the international tournaments won't have many Koreans? What would even be the point in watching...?

As I understand it we getting 6-7

Polt, Hydra, and violet have visas, so we might only get 5 foreigners. Too many either way.

forgot about Hydra, but yea still too many wasted spots
Engage, Zero target Engage, Engage, Kagari target Engage, Engage.
Matte3D
Profile Joined March 2012
Sweden26 Posts
December 12 2015 00:25 GMT
#138
Just don't ban koreans from events like DH and IEM pls. :'(
Die4Ever
Profile Joined August 2010
United States17750 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-12-12 00:25:47
December 12 2015 00:25 GMT
#139
On December 12 2015 09:24 stuchiu wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 12 2015 09:22 Cricketer12 wrote:
On December 12 2015 09:21 Die4Ever wrote:
This would mean we get like at least 5 foreigners at Blizzcon? I don't like it. And wait, that also means the international tournaments won't have many Koreans? What would even be the point in watching...?

As I understand it we getting 6-7


Die4ever is assuming Polt/Hydra/one more (maybe Stardust or DRG?) take 3 spots.

Violet was my other, which is why I said at least 5, but probably 6, probably not 7 or 8
"Expert" mods4ever.com
Nakajin
Profile Blog Joined September 2014
Canada8991 Posts
December 12 2015 00:26 GMT
#140
So is there going to be a WCS league or it is only weekend event?

For the Korean scene I feel like it is ok if Blizz give some compensation in prize pool, there is still 2 league and pro league to so there is still opportunity for them to play. The lock will of course affect the level of play at foreign event but most of these event were pretty much 2 or 3 Korean destroying every one else, only some IEM and mabye a Dreamhack late in the year had a lot of Korean attending, it still suck for them but if it allow the foreign scene to survive I guess it is worth it.

The blizzcon thing is stupid as shit, it already was probably not all the best player who were represented and now half of them will just be destroyed, if they want to have more diversity at Blizzcon they should at least have more player to give more Korean the chance to play there.

Writerhttp://i.imgur.com/9p6ufcB.jpg
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 42 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
16:00
#65
RotterdaM766
TKL 385
TaKeTV 306
IndyStarCraft 189
BRAT_OK 130
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 766
TKL 385
IndyStarCraft 189
MaxPax 153
BRAT_OK 130
UpATreeSC 79
MindelVK 21
EmSc Tv 17
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 756
Mini 284
ggaemo 192
firebathero 160
White-Ra 110
910 52
Barracks 48
Hyun 41
Bale 26
Trap 25
[ Show more ]
Killer 23
Shine 23
ToSsGirL 19
soO 15
yabsab 11
Dota 2
qojqva4162
Counter-Strike
Fnx 735
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby6117
crisheroes1582
Liquid`Hasu1355
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi2945
singsing1591
Beastyqt708
ceh9681
B2W.Neo620
ArmadaUGS173
C9.Mang0138
Dewaltoss57
Trikslyr48
KnowMe24
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream458
Other Games
BasetradeTV208
StarCraft 2
EmSc Tv 17
EmSc2Tv 17
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Reevou 8
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• kabyraGe 0
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix19
• 80smullet 9
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2679
• TFBlade903
Other Games
• Shiphtur296
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
15h 50m
Afreeca Starleague
15h 50m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 5h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 16h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.