• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:03
CEST 22:03
KST 05:03
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8094 users

Official Real Talk Thread of Realness - Page 72

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 70 71 72 73 74 90 Next
jeeneeus
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
1168 Posts
August 22 2012 20:20 GMT
#1421
If you end up reading this JP, for the Justin Wong talk, you may want to contact the FGC for maximum exposure. On the off chance you don't know where to go, I'd suggest Shoryuken, iplaywinner, and maybe contacting UltraDavid and James Chen.
BeanerBurrito
Profile Joined December 2010
1010 Posts
August 22 2012 22:20 GMT
#1422
On August 23 2012 01:46 wei2coolman wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 22 2012 18:42 Noocta wrote:
I really like Tobi's opinion about the massive money injection esport is currently seeing.
It's great but but it's bad at the same time.

His massive money injection comment was sorta off. There are plenty of small weekly tournaments that still grab 20-30k viewers, easily. Unless the big money injections are increasing amount of content (as opposed to quality); which it isn't. It's not going to wipe out smaller tournaments.


Just gonna leave this here...

In this past month, Zenith has also been labeled as money-grubbers and described as greedy. To someone who knows the players well, I feel that these remarks are more sad than offensive. More worthy of a facepalm than an angst-filled retort. Prior to forming Zenith, players like hyhy and iceiceice were approached by an organization (that I will not name) to play competitive League of Legends for a monthly salary that exceeds a fresh Singaporean graduate’s starting pay. An offer like this was unprecedented in the history of e-sports in Singapore. Yet the players chose to turn down these offers, because their interests lie with DotA 2 and not League of Legends.


http://teamzenith.wordpress.com/2012/08/20/the-great-zenith-expose/

What they say: "I'm gonna play support!" What they mean: "I'm gonna feed all game!"
climax
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States1088 Posts
August 23 2012 05:39 GMT
#1423
I will admit, Tobi's Real Talk is my favorite one out all of them, with DJ Wheat and Tasteless in second and third. As a huge dota2 fan, Its great to hear more about tobi's life and his view of LoL and the comp scene since I came from it. Great stuff JP.
Twitter: @JonathanRosales
morlakaix
Profile Joined February 2011
United States860 Posts
August 25 2012 00:13 GMT
#1424
On August 23 2012 14:39 climax wrote:
I will admit, Tobi's Real Talk is my favorite one out all of them, with DJ Wheat and Tasteless in second and third. As a huge dota2 fan, Its great to hear more about tobi's life and his view of LoL and the comp scene since I came from it. Great stuff JP.



same :D I have been playing dota for 7-8 years, and will always have dota as my #1 favorite game(sc2 at #2) was awesome to hear about him

I actually was not a big fan of tobi before watching this (more of a luminous fan) but I have grown to respect him now :D!
ReDeYe
Profile Blog Joined March 2012
United Kingdom160 Posts
August 25 2012 13:12 GMT
#1425
Just caught up on the Tasteless Real Talk JP and I have to say it's interesting to catch Nick in the way you did, much more like the Nick I know and love!

Excellent episode and as I've said before, if you think it would be interesting to have an old guy on the show, drop me a line on Twitter, I'd be honoured to come on.

/red
@PaulChaloner on Twitter - facebook.com/paulredeyechaloner - fanclub - http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=369239
Zhou
Profile Joined February 2009
United States832 Posts
August 25 2012 13:22 GMT
#1426
The amount of hate for League of Legends is pretty stupid, and vice versa. Honestly, even if LoL is more simple than dota2, I don't think people have the right to say its not worth it because the game isn't complex enough. The same could go for chess technically. The complexity part of it comes down to the minds of the players. We could argue that the progamers of LoL haven't done anything super creative out of League itself; whether its the limitations of the game, or themselves but it's clear there is a community that stands by LoL. While I don't agree with some of the things Riot does to make League of Legends well known, it isn't a secret that they did so well outside of the eSports scene with their business model.

I disagree with Tobi saying that League has no place in eSports. I will agree that it is coming up too fast and might be about money. Every game, or anything competitive for that matter will earn its spot by the people who love to do what they do in their set of interests.
PeggyHill
Profile Joined February 2011
1494 Posts
August 25 2012 13:57 GMT
#1427
Does anyone have the times in the Real Talk where Tobi talks about LoL?
Twinkle Toes
Profile Joined May 2012
United States3605 Posts
August 25 2012 14:01 GMT
#1428
awesome episode last time. I hope they could make it longer/
Bisu - INnoVation - Dark - Rogue - Stats
Shocae
Profile Joined August 2010
United States141 Posts
August 28 2012 06:31 GMT
#1429
On August 25 2012 22:22 Zhou wrote:
The amount of hate for League of Legends is pretty stupid, and vice versa. Honestly, even if LoL is more simple than dota2, I don't think people have the right to say its not worth it because the game isn't complex enough. The same could go for chess technically. The complexity part of it comes down to the minds of the players. We could argue that the progamers of LoL haven't done anything super creative out of League itself; whether its the limitations of the game, or themselves but it's clear there is a community that stands by LoL. While I don't agree with some of the things Riot does to make League of Legends well known, it isn't a secret that they did so well outside of the eSports scene with their business model.

I disagree with Tobi saying that League has no place in eSports. I will agree that it is coming up too fast and might be about money. Every game, or anything competitive for that matter will earn its spot by the people who love to do what they do in their set of interests.



As far as I know (and correct me if I'm wrong), chess is highly complex and Vladimir Kramnik was quoted as saying "Chess is an infinitely complex game, which one can play in infinitely numerous and varied ways." From what I understand it is not "infinitely" complex, but in all practical terms it is, until we build some super computer in the year 4462 or something because the amount of information needed to be stored is beyond the 10^100 range (googol).
lolsamplesize
I_Love_Bacon
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States5765 Posts
August 28 2012 06:59 GMT
#1430
On August 28 2012 15:31 Shocae wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 25 2012 22:22 Zhou wrote:
The amount of hate for League of Legends is pretty stupid, and vice versa. Honestly, even if LoL is more simple than dota2, I don't think people have the right to say its not worth it because the game isn't complex enough. The same could go for chess technically. The complexity part of it comes down to the minds of the players. We could argue that the progamers of LoL haven't done anything super creative out of League itself; whether its the limitations of the game, or themselves but it's clear there is a community that stands by LoL. While I don't agree with some of the things Riot does to make League of Legends well known, it isn't a secret that they did so well outside of the eSports scene with their business model.

I disagree with Tobi saying that League has no place in eSports. I will agree that it is coming up too fast and might be about money. Every game, or anything competitive for that matter will earn its spot by the people who love to do what they do in their set of interests.



As far as I know (and correct me if I'm wrong), chess is highly complex and Vladimir Kramnik was quoted as saying "Chess is an infinitely complex game, which one can play in infinitely numerous and varied ways." From what I understand it is not "infinitely" complex, but in all practical terms it is, until we build some super computer in the year 4462 or something because the amount of information needed to be stored is beyond the 10^100 range (googol).


Chess, when compared to the likes of LoL, SC, SC2, Dota, whatever is actually extremely simple. Yes, there are a huge number of possibile outcomes, but I don't even think there is a number fathomable to the number of outcomes any of the aforementioned games can produce. For every move you can make in chess, there are 100x that amount of moves to be made in one of the other games every second of play.

While I obviously don't mean to belittle chess with this statement. It is definitely a complex game, but compared with these types of games it really isn't. As an example, think about several minutes into a game of sc2. You've got say 20 workers, any one of those workers can be issued a new command. Simultaneously, any one of your new buildings can be chosen to create a unit or upgrade. Every current army unit can be chosen to be moved to any of the ten thousand locations on the map they can fit... and all of this is done with incomplete information every second of every game.
" i havent been playin sc2 but i woke up w/ a boner and i really had to pee... and my crisis management and micro was really something to behold. it inspired me to play some games today" -Liquid'Tyler
Kleinmuuhg
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Vanuatu4091 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-28 07:09:47
August 28 2012 07:09 GMT
#1431
On August 28 2012 15:59 I_Love_Bacon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 28 2012 15:31 Shocae wrote:
On August 25 2012 22:22 Zhou wrote:
The amount of hate for League of Legends is pretty stupid, and vice versa. Honestly, even if LoL is more simple than dota2, I don't think people have the right to say its not worth it because the game isn't complex enough. The same could go for chess technically. The complexity part of it comes down to the minds of the players. We could argue that the progamers of LoL haven't done anything super creative out of League itself; whether its the limitations of the game, or themselves but it's clear there is a community that stands by LoL. While I don't agree with some of the things Riot does to make League of Legends well known, it isn't a secret that they did so well outside of the eSports scene with their business model.

I disagree with Tobi saying that League has no place in eSports. I will agree that it is coming up too fast and might be about money. Every game, or anything competitive for that matter will earn its spot by the people who love to do what they do in their set of interests.



As far as I know (and correct me if I'm wrong), chess is highly complex and Vladimir Kramnik was quoted as saying "Chess is an infinitely complex game, which one can play in infinitely numerous and varied ways." From what I understand it is not "infinitely" complex, but in all practical terms it is, until we build some super computer in the year 4462 or something because the amount of information needed to be stored is beyond the 10^100 range (googol).


Chess, when compared to the likes of LoL, SC, SC2, Dota, whatever is actually extremely simple. Yes, there are a huge number of possibile outcomes, but I don't even think there is a number fathomable to the number of outcomes any of the aforementioned games can produce. For every move you can make in chess, there are 100x that amount of moves to be made in one of the other games every second of play.

While I obviously don't mean to belittle chess with this statement. It is definitely a complex game, but compared with these types of games it really isn't. As an example, think about several minutes into a game of sc2. You've got say 20 workers, any one of those workers can be issued a new command. Simultaneously, any one of your new buildings can be chosen to create a unit or upgrade. Every current army unit can be chosen to be moved to any of the ten thousand locations on the map they can fit... and all of this is done with incomplete information every second of every game.

So you really think chess is easier?
Really?
How come no Sc players tried to get Chess Grandmaster then ?
"Because its boring" - Yeah I figured.

You really have no clue, sorry.
This is our town, scrub
I_Love_Bacon
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States5765 Posts
August 28 2012 07:20 GMT
#1432
On August 28 2012 16:09 Kleinmuuhg wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 28 2012 15:59 I_Love_Bacon wrote:
On August 28 2012 15:31 Shocae wrote:
On August 25 2012 22:22 Zhou wrote:
The amount of hate for League of Legends is pretty stupid, and vice versa. Honestly, even if LoL is more simple than dota2, I don't think people have the right to say its not worth it because the game isn't complex enough. The same could go for chess technically. The complexity part of it comes down to the minds of the players. We could argue that the progamers of LoL haven't done anything super creative out of League itself; whether its the limitations of the game, or themselves but it's clear there is a community that stands by LoL. While I don't agree with some of the things Riot does to make League of Legends well known, it isn't a secret that they did so well outside of the eSports scene with their business model.

I disagree with Tobi saying that League has no place in eSports. I will agree that it is coming up too fast and might be about money. Every game, or anything competitive for that matter will earn its spot by the people who love to do what they do in their set of interests.



As far as I know (and correct me if I'm wrong), chess is highly complex and Vladimir Kramnik was quoted as saying "Chess is an infinitely complex game, which one can play in infinitely numerous and varied ways." From what I understand it is not "infinitely" complex, but in all practical terms it is, until we build some super computer in the year 4462 or something because the amount of information needed to be stored is beyond the 10^100 range (googol).


Chess, when compared to the likes of LoL, SC, SC2, Dota, whatever is actually extremely simple. Yes, there are a huge number of possibile outcomes, but I don't even think there is a number fathomable to the number of outcomes any of the aforementioned games can produce. For every move you can make in chess, there are 100x that amount of moves to be made in one of the other games every second of play.

While I obviously don't mean to belittle chess with this statement. It is definitely a complex game, but compared with these types of games it really isn't. As an example, think about several minutes into a game of sc2. You've got say 20 workers, any one of those workers can be issued a new command. Simultaneously, any one of your new buildings can be chosen to create a unit or upgrade. Every current army unit can be chosen to be moved to any of the ten thousand locations on the map they can fit... and all of this is done with incomplete information every second of every game.

So you really think chess is easier?
Really?
How come no Sc players tried to get Chess Grandmaster then ?
"Because its boring" - Yeah I figured.

You really have no clue, sorry.


Hah... Good lord. That is the worst argument I've ever heard. If you want to defend chess as a great game, feel free to. I'll agree with you on that. If you want to argue that it's complex, feel free to, I'll agree with you. If you want to argue that it's more complex than the aforementioned games, I will laugh. And if you want to make some terribly constructed argument that I'm somehow suggesting that chess is so easy anybody could be a grandmaster, well then I just have to assume you're trolling because I haven't implied anything remotely close to that.

Humans and computers can play what we perceive to be close to optimally at times during chess. People can't even dream of hitting the actual skill cap of a game like dota/lol/sc2.
" i havent been playin sc2 but i woke up w/ a boner and i really had to pee... and my crisis management and micro was really something to behold. it inspired me to play some games today" -Liquid'Tyler
Kleinmuuhg
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Vanuatu4091 Posts
August 28 2012 07:24 GMT
#1433
No I wont be arguing if your response is to laugh about it anyway. You're free to think what you want. (And Im free to think that your opinion is abosutely donkey).
This is our town, scrub
[17]Purple
Profile Joined October 2011
United Kingdom3489 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-28 07:27:45
August 28 2012 07:27 GMT
#1434
On August 28 2012 16:24 Kleinmuuhg wrote:
No I wont be arguing if your response is to laugh about it anyway. You're free to think what you want. (And Im free to think that your opinion is abosutely donkey).

I love how you discredit his opinion without actually saying why

You are free to think whatever you want, doesn't mean that all your thoughts are necessarily correct.
"Turn Disadvantages into Disadvantages" and "Collect Telephones". The secrets of Chinese success.
Kleinmuuhg
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Vanuatu4091 Posts
August 28 2012 07:49 GMT
#1435
Thats the beauty of it
This is our town, scrub
Th30nE
Profile Joined July 2010
United States44 Posts
August 30 2012 02:02 GMT
#1436
Is there no ETA for the SirScoots Episode?
play hard, train hard, focus, be happy.
Bodzilla
Profile Joined March 2011
Australia472 Posts
August 30 2012 02:10 GMT
#1437
scoots is busy so Artosis will be the next guest
when life gives you lemons, make banelings
Anta
Profile Joined April 2012
Germany434 Posts
August 30 2012 19:16 GMT
#1438
get destiny on a second time to talk about recent happenings
"In short: stop bitching, change your tampons and up your game." mad respect to CloudNineLabs.com http://i.imgur.com/g5KGz.jpg ! I love Dreamhack!
jmbthirteen
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States10734 Posts
August 30 2012 20:16 GMT
#1439
On August 31 2012 04:16 Anta wrote:
get destiny on a second time to talk about recent happenings

no. there is no point in that. Real Talk isn't meant to be about one issue. Its about the person's entire life and gaming career.
www.superbeerbrothers.com
ChuCky.Ca
Profile Joined July 2011
Canada2497 Posts
August 30 2012 20:18 GMT
#1440
On August 31 2012 04:16 Anta wrote:
get destiny on a second time to talk about recent happenings

how about we dont waste everyone's time
Most Skilled Current esport Games Scbw>Sc2>Cs1.6>Dota2>Hon>Loopin Louie The Drinking Game>LoL
Prev 1 70 71 72 73 74 90 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 1
ComeBackTV 931
SteadfastSC535
EnkiAlexander 63
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 535
ZombieGrub129
JuggernautJason70
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 23994
Soulkey 282
Mini 161
White-Ra 128
Trap 24
ToSsGirL 23
Shine 21
NotJumperer 20
League of Legends
Doublelift606
Counter-Strike
fl0m1330
shoxiejesuss704
C9.Mang0169
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King101
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor2508
Liquid`Hasu1968
Other Games
Grubby2823
ArmadaUGS1010
B2W.Neo561
Pyrionflax180
shahzam162
UpATreeSC76
Chillindude63
Dewaltoss55
Trikslyr48
Railgan23
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV191
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream107
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Reevou 8
• intothetv
• Migwel
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• IndyKCrew
• Kozan
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 35
• Azhi_Dahaki27
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV312
League of Legends
• TFBlade1034
• Noizen248
Other Games
• imaqtpie1139
• Scarra791
• Shiphtur300
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
13h 57m
OSC
16h 57m
Stellar Fest
16h 57m
OSC
1d 3h
Stellar Fest
1d 16h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.