• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:28
CEST 05:28
KST 12:28
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6626 users

New Zerg Unit in Heart of The Swarm - Page 72

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 70 71 72 73 74 120 Next
DarKcS
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Australia1237 Posts
October 11 2011 09:36 GMT
#1421
Maybe it's a baneling cannon (move a baneling(s) on to it), making it possible to bypass siege defence range.
Die tomorrow - Live today
Mr Mauve
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United Kingdom386 Posts
October 11 2011 09:39 GMT
#1422
On October 11 2011 18:11 Skoop wrote:
The idea of roach lurkers just gets me wiggly :S. So I'm just going to keep pretending that blizzard is that awesome till they finally show it.


/me imagines lurkers with burrowed movement

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek
Hello! How are you today?
ClS
Profile Joined March 2010
Sweden14 Posts
October 11 2011 09:41 GMT
#1423


So from the suggestions from the thread, I thin that there are enough ideas to make a poll

Poll: What Does This unit do?

Roach Mutation Siege Unit (488)
 
44%

Burrowing Attacking Unit (Lurker-esque) (450)
 
40%

Unit Catapulting Unit (101)
 
9%

Mutated AA Unit (79)
 
7%

1118 total votes

Your vote: What Does This unit do?

(Vote): Roach Mutation Siege Unit
(Vote): Burrowing Attacking Unit (Lurker-esque)
(Vote): Mutated AA Unit
(Vote): Unit Catapulting Unit



I would say that it's most plausible, judging from the suggestions presented in this thread, that it is a siege unit - but NOT evolved out of Roach, but rather Hydralisk - I would say.

Why?

Well because of mainly two things;
1. The bodily characteristics of a Hydralisk
2. The fact that an evolvement of Hydralisk in the past was possible and that this was a Lurker. A change from the mechanic of the Lurker to a bombardment type static attack unit seems most in-line with the examples given in this thread.

That's at least my thoughts... judging by what you other guys came up with ;P. A fun mechanic though would be some sort of nydus worm-catapult unit that loads and shoots lings haha, that would be hillarious!
~ ROCKET JUMP !!
Sylkvass
Profile Joined August 2009
Norway29 Posts
October 11 2011 09:41 GMT
#1424
Its just a zergling/baneling upgrade, whereeas the baneling can pick off the acid bag and launch it, and then return into the regular zergling and then morph a new bag again after a cooldown.. my thoughts:p
Robinsa
Profile Joined May 2009
Japan1333 Posts
October 11 2011 09:46 GMT
#1425
When i see this I think of some sort of siege unit unit but it might as well be some sort of lurker unit. Not sure how good the lurker would be in SC2 though vs Colossi etc ^^

Zerg dont need any new siege unit, on the contrary I think they would become too strong if it wasnt possible to wall with buildings in an effective manner late game.

Maybe its some sort of flying ground unit like the reaper and the carapace contain wings ? Or maybe like the viking ?
4649!!
Callynn
Profile Joined December 2010
Netherlands917 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-11 09:48:27
October 11 2011 09:47 GMT
#1426
On October 11 2011 17:28 gruff wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 11 2011 17:22 VoiceOfDecember wrote:
On October 11 2011 16:57 Liquid`Jinro wrote:
On October 11 2011 16:19 gruff wrote:
Maybe I remember this crazy wrong but there was this youtube HOtS preview posted in some thread where some russian guy showed off some of the new things of the expansion and I distinctly remember seeing a similar looking unit on screen for a while. Maybe it was something from the single player. *dunno* Does anyone know what video I'm talking about? I can't remember where the link was posted.

The yeti thing?


This thing?

[image loading]

Source: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/media/videos/?view#/heart-of-the-swarm-gameplay @57sec in the video


No that was not what I was refering to. It was definatly a zerg unit. I'm talking about a preview where a russian (?) guy sat in front of a computer so you could see the screen while he was talking about HOTS. It was a fairly long youtube video, maybe 30+ min. About halfway in there was some bulky zerg unit running around that in my head at least somewhat resemble the profile. It was posted in some other thread but I can't for the life of me find it. But as I said, I'm probably just remembering it wrong, or it was some single player unit.


I think he is referring to the Gorgeling. Which is a campaign-only evolution of the Baneling that looks rather bulky and from behind looks exactly like our silhouette. However, from the front the Gorgeling does in no way resemble the silhouette. The russian guy was talking about the first zerg campaign mission on char, where you fight Za'gara. I doubt the new multiplayer unit is this soon into the campaign anyway, anyone would have noticed.
Comparing BW with SCII is like comparing a beautiful three-master sailing ship with a modern battlecruiser. Both are beautiful in their own way, both perform the same task, but they are worlds apart in how they are built and how they are steered.
VoiceOfDecember
Profile Joined December 2010
Australia206 Posts
October 11 2011 09:50 GMT
#1427
I took the liberty of taking a screen cap of a roach from HOTS gameplay videos from blizzard and superimposed it over the new unit and this is what I got:

[image loading]
The new unit looks like a slimmer version of the Roach. I can understand why people think it's an evolved roach but I can't account for the spines on the back and the new unit going from 4 legs and 2 front melee claws to just 2 hind legs and the 2 front melee claws. If it is a siege unit, maybe it can't attack close range like siege tanks when they are sieged. But it is possible the roaches carapace opens up and turns into a long range weapon.

Here's the image without the black:
[image loading]

This new unit could be the roach coming out of its shell so to speak. Just how the zergling evolved into an acidic baneling. Maybe the roach gets to shoot some acid long distance, or maybe it sprays it like a firebat. Who knows, it's all speculation But it is fun :D
If I keep making drones and expanding while fending off their attacks, I'm sure to win...right?
Vildhjarta
Profile Joined September 2011
Sweden126 Posts
October 11 2011 10:00 GMT
#1428
On October 11 2011 18:50 VoiceOfDecember wrote:
This new unit could be the roach coming out of its shell so to speak. Just how the zergling evolved into an acidic baneling. Maybe the roach gets to shoot some acid long distance, or maybe it sprays it like a firebat. Who knows, it's all speculation But it is fun :D


acid long distance? really more acid? I say nay. down vote. dislike. defriend. bland social media reference.
No man has ever been entirely and completely himself. Yet each one strives to become that, one in an awkward, the other in a more intelligent way, each as best he can. - Hermann Hesse, Demian
Catch]22
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Sweden2683 Posts
October 11 2011 10:02 GMT
#1429
On October 11 2011 18:50 VoiceOfDecember wrote:
I took the liberty of taking a screen cap of a roach from HOTS gameplay videos from blizzard and superimposed it over the new unit and this is what I got:

[image loading]
The new unit looks like a slimmer version of the Roach. I can understand why people think it's an evolved roach but I can't account for the spines on the back and the new unit going from 4 legs and 2 front melee claws to just 2 hind legs and the 2 front melee claws. If it is a siege unit, maybe it can't attack close range like siege tanks when they are sieged. But it is possible the roaches carapace opens up and turns into a long range weapon.

Here's the image without the black:
[image loading]

This new unit could be the roach coming out of its shell so to speak. Just how the zergling evolved into an acidic baneling. Maybe the roach gets to shoot some acid long distance, or maybe it sprays it like a firebat. Who knows, it's all speculation But it is fun :D



This is actually a pretty good find imo
VoiceOfDecember
Profile Joined December 2010
Australia206 Posts
October 11 2011 10:07 GMT
#1430
On October 11 2011 19:02 Catch]22 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 11 2011 18:50 VoiceOfDecember wrote:
I took the liberty of taking a screen cap of a roach from HOTS gameplay videos from blizzard and superimposed it over the new unit and this is what I got:

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

The new unit looks like a slimmer version of the Roach. I can understand why people think it's an evolved roach but I can't account for the spines on the back and the new unit going from 4 legs and 2 front melee claws to just 2 hind legs and the 2 front melee claws. If it is a siege unit, maybe it can't attack close range like siege tanks when they are sieged. But it is possible the roaches carapace opens up and turns into a long range weapon.

+ Show Spoiler +
Here's the image without the black:
[image loading]

This new unit could be the roach coming out of its shell so to speak. Just how the zergling evolved into an acidic baneling. Maybe the roach gets to shoot some acid long distance, or maybe it sprays it like a firebat. Who knows, it's all speculation But it is fun :D



This is actually a pretty good find imo


Hey thanks man I saw the picture on the front page of this thread as a baneling and since everyone is talking about roaches I thought I'd throw together what a roach may look like if it were stuffed in that silhouette. It was gonna be otherwise me or one of you guys to do it. I just have more free time hahah XD
If I keep making drones and expanding while fending off their attacks, I'm sure to win...right?
PresenceSc2
Profile Joined February 2011
Australia4032 Posts
October 11 2011 10:13 GMT
#1431
On October 11 2011 17:35 Thune wrote:
Anyone Thought about a Droideka from Star Wars?
[image loading]


That would be aweosme lol

I'd like to see this be a Hydra upgrade to make it not insta die to everything and be viable for things other than killing air units.
Stephano//HerO//TaeJa//Squirtle//Bomber
RustinPeace
Profile Joined October 2011
Australia2 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-11 10:23:40
October 11 2011 10:13 GMT
#1432
might be just me but i see a major resemblance between this and the stalker! the legs and the shell seem like a disconnected stalker .... infested stalker anyone?? or a morph between and hydra and a stalker?... stalkers with low hp are susceptible to hydra morph or this unit is produced through an infested gateway... just a thought
Fear is an illusion
Qikz
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
United Kingdom12058 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-11 10:18:46
October 11 2011 10:18 GMT
#1433
Wrong thread sorry.
FanTaSy's #1 Fan | STPL Caster/Organiser | SKT BEST KT | https://twitch.tv/stpl
Arolis
Profile Joined October 2010
United States496 Posts
October 11 2011 10:23 GMT
#1434
On October 11 2011 18:36 DarKcS wrote:
Maybe it's a baneling cannon (move a baneling(s) on to it), making it possible to bypass siege defence range.

On October 11 2011 18:41 harrycane wrote:
Its just a zergling/baneling upgrade, whereeas the baneling can pick off the acid bag and launch it, and then return into the regular zergling and then morph a new bag again after a cooldown.. my thoughts:p

Interesting. A friend showed me someone describing something similar on the Starcraft 2 section of the Something Awful forums. The poster dubbed it the "bukakeling."

Just thought I'd share, because I'm a classy guy.
Hattori_Hanzo
Profile Joined October 2010
Singapore1229 Posts
October 11 2011 10:24 GMT
#1435
I was trying to find the super hydra unit but I gave up. Lol too many pages.

I like your idea, like the ballista unit in AoE2. It shot a line of sight (like a lurker/hellion) damage while unburrowed but shoots ballistic shots like a siege tank when semi-burrowed. And can hit air but no splash damage.
Cauterize the area
grappasc
Profile Joined September 2011
Belgium86 Posts
October 11 2011 10:28 GMT
#1436
On October 11 2011 18:23 Cirqueenflex wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 11 2011 17:14 grappasc wrote:
2) lack of symmetry. I can't see the symmetry in that unit, and as far as I know all units are symmetrical. maybe not if you have a rifle in 1 hand, but the living organism carrying it is.



here is my pic from page 23 of this thread:
[image loading]
with a double barrel on the back, how is it not symmetrical?
(even though my paint skills are pretty low ^^)

your version is a little different from the one I was arguing against earlier. I was thinking the silhouette would show the front edge of the shell, but you drew it a lot higher. so my previous arguments don't apply to this one.

yours is a little weird to me, too.
[image loading]

I have no clue of what's going on in the silhouette. I would like to think that it's symmetrical, but I don't see what it is.
RustinPeace
Profile Joined October 2011
Australia2 Posts
October 11 2011 10:32 GMT
#1437
im telling ya the shell is the head of a stalker or collosus its too to perfectly round for a zerg unit
Fear is an illusion
Breaker 1st Class
Profile Joined May 2010
Australia47 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-11 10:40:21
October 11 2011 10:39 GMT
#1438
It's the Arachas from Witcher 2; a spider/crab that can cloak (forget burrow)



http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/220/arachas.jpg/sr=1

:O
RockStarCrft
Profile Joined February 2011
Turkey470 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-11 10:43:33
October 11 2011 10:42 GMT
#1439
On October 11 2011 12:18 shihido wrote:
[image loading]
I think this is a roach hydra baby.

Basically you need roach and hydra to make sweet love, not like those gay high/dark templars and the roach and hydra make a hydroach baby.

HYDROACH! It can do everything, including solve a rubix cube.


[image loading]
rrrrrr.

Old pic from some TL page, idk which, got it off elsewhere.


Oh man, you guys are awesome. This is probably how this unit looks like. OP should put this post in the first post. I agree with you that this will most probably the result of merging and hydra and roach. Lets hope that its functionality will be similar to lurker. Maybe throwing an acid spray in a line of action like lurker which can attack only attached to ground like siege tank.
ELA
Profile Joined April 2010
Denmark4608 Posts
October 11 2011 10:56 GMT
#1440
It would suck if it morphs from the roach though, roaches already has their utility, Hydra needs some love imo.. Make all zergs want that hydra den again
The first link of chain forged, the first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.
Prev 1 70 71 72 73 74 120 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
PiGosaur Cup
09:00
#102
CranKy Ducklings210
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
WinterStarcraft441
RuFF_SC2 202
ViBE87
Nina 60
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 4122
GuemChi 1194
Terrorterran 92
910 73
Bale 30
NaDa 29
Dota 2
monkeys_forever443
Counter-Strike
taco 611
minikerr16
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox969
Other Games
summit1g8472
JimRising 617
C9.Mang0306
Trikslyr35
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick778
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream27
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP125
• EnkiAlexander 60
• Hupsaiya 57
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo847
• Stunt247
Other Games
• Shiphtur551
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
12h 32m
The PondCast
1d 6h
INu's Battles
1d 7h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 18h
Replay Cast
1d 19h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.