• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:41
CEST 23:41
KST 06:41
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War655.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 547 Temple Of Terror Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts
Brood War
General
Mineral Boosting (2 workers/patch) Rollback Netcode in Brood War Sagi.gg Launcher Released ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
The Link Between Gaming and …
TrAiDoS
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 13580 users

Casting Language Standards - Page 20

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 18 19 20 21 22 34 Next All
djWHEAT
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
United States925 Posts
May 25 2011 15:20 GMT
#381
"What is up bitches!"

4 words.

4 fucking words.

A standard cast will consist of Thousands of words. But it's 4 words that people latch onto.

My guess would be that a non-gamer-friend guy would be more put off by acronyms, terminology, and slang from StarCraft 2 (or other games) that they don't understand... than they would be about "BITCHES" being dropped.

Being a father I absolutely respect the OP for his thoughts and glad this topic came up, but I still think we take some of this stuff WAYYYYY too seriously. Looking forward to discussing this topic on Weapon of Choice this week - because I do have opinions as a caster (who likes the medium of the internet because i can be a bit more mature) and opinions as a father.
OneMoreGame.tv // Weapon Of Choice // Kings Of Tin // Inside The Game // Live On Three
JinDesu
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States3990 Posts
May 25 2011 15:28 GMT
#382
On May 26 2011 00:20 djWHEAT wrote:
"What is up bitches!"

4 words.

4 fucking words.

A standard cast will consist of Thousands of words. But it's 4 words that people latch onto.

My guess would be that a non-gamer-friend guy would be more put off by acronyms, terminology, and slang from StarCraft 2 (or other games) that they don't understand... than they would be about "BITCHES" being dropped.

Being a father I absolutely respect the OP for his thoughts and glad this topic came up, but I still think we take some of this stuff WAYYYYY too seriously. Looking forward to discussing this topic on Weapon of Choice this week - because I do have opinions as a caster (who likes the medium of the internet because i can be a bit more mature) and opinions as a father.


Based on the context of those words, they most likely come at the start of something. Start of the cast, the start of the discussion after a game, something. Unfortunately, having those 4 words right there would make it most memorable.

I agree that people take it too seriously. It's just that, sometimes it is right to take it seriously. I don't expect any profanity to occur while I'm watching the finals of the GSL, only because of the super high production value and the extreme broad audience it is catering to. For casts that are more audience specific, or of less critical importance, then I wouldn't give a crap.

I don't believe these words should lose their profane meaning and become a mainstream way of expressing feelings besides perhaps frustration and anger. There are just so many better words for expressing great joy, humor, and surprise.
Yargh
warsinger
Profile Joined November 2010
United States17 Posts
May 25 2011 15:40 GMT
#383
On May 26 2011 00:20 djWHEAT wrote:
Looking forward to discussing this topic on Weapon of Choice this week - because I do have opinions as a caster (who likes the medium of the internet because i can be a bit more mature) and opinions as a father.


/heartstops

Thanks, Wheat. I am eager to hear your thoughts and I appreciate the thoughts of the others who are casters who have responded to this thread. Even if the ultimate answers are not exactly what I want, I know the professional Starcrafters will have to address these and other issues as the community broadens and grows.
Thorakh
Profile Joined April 2011
Netherlands1788 Posts
May 25 2011 15:41 GMT
#384
I don't believe these words should lose their profane meaning and become a mainstream way of expressing feelings besides perhaps frustration and anger. There are just so many better words for expressing great joy, humor, and surprise.
Profanity in itself is just a stupid concept. If you aren't using profanity to insult others, what's the problem? They're just words that intensify a feeling, like "It's a beautiful sunset" or "It's a fucking awesome match". Words are just that, words, being offended by someone saying 'fuck' is just stupid. How can you be offended by that? Are you offended by the literal act it represents? What do you think your parents did? If anything it's the most beautiful thing in the world and somehow people are 'offended' by it.
Mordiford
Profile Joined April 2011
4448 Posts
May 25 2011 15:49 GMT
#385
On May 26 2011 00:28 JinDesu wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 26 2011 00:20 djWHEAT wrote:
"What is up bitches!"

4 words.

4 fucking words.

A standard cast will consist of Thousands of words. But it's 4 words that people latch onto.

My guess would be that a non-gamer-friend guy would be more put off by acronyms, terminology, and slang from StarCraft 2 (or other games) that they don't understand... than they would be about "BITCHES" being dropped.

Being a father I absolutely respect the OP for his thoughts and glad this topic came up, but I still think we take some of this stuff WAYYYYY too seriously. Looking forward to discussing this topic on Weapon of Choice this week - because I do have opinions as a caster (who likes the medium of the internet because i can be a bit more mature) and opinions as a father.


Based on the context of those words, they most likely come at the start of something. Start of the cast, the start of the discussion after a game, something. Unfortunately, having those 4 words right there would make it most memorable.

I agree that people take it too seriously. It's just that, sometimes it is right to take it seriously. I don't expect any profanity to occur while I'm watching the finals of the GSL, only because of the super high production value and the extreme broad audience it is catering to. For casts that are more audience specific, or of less critical importance, then I wouldn't give a crap.

I don't believe these words should lose their profane meaning and become a mainstream way of expressing feelings besides perhaps frustration and anger. There are just so many better words for expressing great joy, humor, and surprise.


In regards to the GSL, they're catering to a mainly different audience in terms of expectations in Korea. The original version of Starcraft 2 was rated Adults Only for foul language unit Blizzard changed it, toned it down, they have different expectations and the casting is appropriate to that level more or less. Even so, there are some jokes and statements("I think I just had an orgasm") that could be considered age appropriate for the audience of the game, but not for an 8 or 12 year old. No less so than any of the innuendo on the NASL though, so I don't see an issue.

No major event is completely free of this, it's all age-appropriate to the rating of the game, look at the back of the fucking game, that's the level of content you're getting from these casts because that's the expectation as it should be.

There's nothing wrong with, "Whats up bitches?", it's age appropriate to the content of the game.

I understand that the OP may want a label, but all I'm saying is you'd have to label everything and every event, from NASL, to GSL, to TSL roughly the same...

T for violence, blood and gore, language and suggestive themes.

So and assume that's the rating for every event.

The current casting is age appropriate for anyone who is watching the game in my opinion. It's perfectly fine.
JinDesu
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States3990 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-25 16:01:32
May 25 2011 16:00 GMT
#386
On May 26 2011 00:49 Mordiford wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 26 2011 00:28 JinDesu wrote:
On May 26 2011 00:20 djWHEAT wrote:
"What is up bitches!"

4 words.

4 fucking words.

A standard cast will consist of Thousands of words. But it's 4 words that people latch onto.

My guess would be that a non-gamer-friend guy would be more put off by acronyms, terminology, and slang from StarCraft 2 (or other games) that they don't understand... than they would be about "BITCHES" being dropped.

Being a father I absolutely respect the OP for his thoughts and glad this topic came up, but I still think we take some of this stuff WAYYYYY too seriously. Looking forward to discussing this topic on Weapon of Choice this week - because I do have opinions as a caster (who likes the medium of the internet because i can be a bit more mature) and opinions as a father.


Based on the context of those words, they most likely come at the start of something. Start of the cast, the start of the discussion after a game, something. Unfortunately, having those 4 words right there would make it most memorable.

I agree that people take it too seriously. It's just that, sometimes it is right to take it seriously. I don't expect any profanity to occur while I'm watching the finals of the GSL, only because of the super high production value and the extreme broad audience it is catering to. For casts that are more audience specific, or of less critical importance, then I wouldn't give a crap.

I don't believe these words should lose their profane meaning and become a mainstream way of expressing feelings besides perhaps frustration and anger. There are just so many better words for expressing great joy, humor, and surprise.


In regards to the GSL, they're catering to a mainly different audience in terms of expectations in Korea. The original version of Starcraft 2 was rated Adults Only for foul language unit Blizzard changed it, toned it down, they have different expectations and the casting is appropriate to that level more or less. Even so, there are some jokes and statements("I think I just had an orgasm") that could be considered age appropriate for the audience of the game, but not for an 8 or 12 year old. No less so than any of the innuendo on the NASL though, so I don't see an issue.

No major event is completely free of this, it's all age-appropriate to the rating of the game, look at the back of the fucking game, that's the level of content you're getting from these casts because that's the expectation as it should be.

There's nothing wrong with, "Whats up bitches?", it's age appropriate to the content of the game.

I understand that the OP may want a label, but all I'm saying is you'd have to label everything and every event, from NASL, to GSL, to TSL roughly the same...

T for violence, blood and gore, language and suggestive themes.

So and assume that's the rating for every event.

The current casting is age appropriate for anyone who is watching the game in my opinion. It's perfectly fine.


Regarding the bit you have about the GSL - yes and no. Tastosis does not cater to the audience in Korea. However, they do have to give a show of professionalism. I don't think professionalism immediately removes "innuendos" and "Tasteless jokes" (teehee) from consideration, but cursing is something else. Yes, saying "what's up, bitches" is different from "you're a bitch". However, still using it feel unprofessional in my opinion. There are better ways to express that sort of entry/joke.

Again, it's not such a big deal when you target your audience to be a certain group (for example, the group that plays T rated games)- the group who can take such comments without care. But once you start trying to expand to more people, then considerations should be made, no?

On May 26 2011 00:41 Thorakh wrote:
Show nested quote +
I don't believe these words should lose their profane meaning and become a mainstream way of expressing feelings besides perhaps frustration and anger. There are just so many better words for expressing great joy, humor, and surprise.
Profanity in itself is just a stupid concept. If you aren't using profanity to insult others, what's the problem? They're just words that intensify a feeling, like "It's a beautiful sunset" or "It's a fucking awesome match". Words are just that, words, being offended by someone saying 'fuck' is just stupid. How can you be offended by that? Are you offended by the literal act it represents? What do you think your parents did? If anything it's the most beautiful thing in the world and somehow people are 'offended' by it.


Profanity can be used to express indirect anger or frustration. "This fucking ketchup bottle will NOT OPEN."

Regarding your second point: If the words have a history and context of being insulting, and the use of it is primarily to insult, how can you tell me not to be offended? When I have someone belligerent tell me, "FUCK YOUR MOTHER", well shit, I'm going to be offended.

And before anyone else brings up that "Fuck - word context" video from before - what I am saying is exactly what that video is doing. Should we be making the word "mainstream"? My feeling is no. Maybe you feel otherwise =\
Yargh
Mordiford
Profile Joined April 2011
4448 Posts
May 25 2011 16:11 GMT
#387
On May 26 2011 01:00 JinDesu wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 26 2011 00:49 Mordiford wrote:
On May 26 2011 00:28 JinDesu wrote:
On May 26 2011 00:20 djWHEAT wrote:
"What is up bitches!"

4 words.

4 fucking words.

A standard cast will consist of Thousands of words. But it's 4 words that people latch onto.

My guess would be that a non-gamer-friend guy would be more put off by acronyms, terminology, and slang from StarCraft 2 (or other games) that they don't understand... than they would be about "BITCHES" being dropped.

Being a father I absolutely respect the OP for his thoughts and glad this topic came up, but I still think we take some of this stuff WAYYYYY too seriously. Looking forward to discussing this topic on Weapon of Choice this week - because I do have opinions as a caster (who likes the medium of the internet because i can be a bit more mature) and opinions as a father.


Based on the context of those words, they most likely come at the start of something. Start of the cast, the start of the discussion after a game, something. Unfortunately, having those 4 words right there would make it most memorable.

I agree that people take it too seriously. It's just that, sometimes it is right to take it seriously. I don't expect any profanity to occur while I'm watching the finals of the GSL, only because of the super high production value and the extreme broad audience it is catering to. For casts that are more audience specific, or of less critical importance, then I wouldn't give a crap.

I don't believe these words should lose their profane meaning and become a mainstream way of expressing feelings besides perhaps frustration and anger. There are just so many better words for expressing great joy, humor, and surprise.


In regards to the GSL, they're catering to a mainly different audience in terms of expectations in Korea. The original version of Starcraft 2 was rated Adults Only for foul language unit Blizzard changed it, toned it down, they have different expectations and the casting is appropriate to that level more or less. Even so, there are some jokes and statements("I think I just had an orgasm") that could be considered age appropriate for the audience of the game, but not for an 8 or 12 year old. No less so than any of the innuendo on the NASL though, so I don't see an issue.

No major event is completely free of this, it's all age-appropriate to the rating of the game, look at the back of the fucking game, that's the level of content you're getting from these casts because that's the expectation as it should be.

There's nothing wrong with, "Whats up bitches?", it's age appropriate to the content of the game.

I understand that the OP may want a label, but all I'm saying is you'd have to label everything and every event, from NASL, to GSL, to TSL roughly the same...

T for violence, blood and gore, language and suggestive themes.

So and assume that's the rating for every event.

The current casting is age appropriate for anyone who is watching the game in my opinion. It's perfectly fine.


Regarding the bit you have about the GSL - yes and no. Tastosis does not cater to the audience in Korea. However, they do have to give a show of professionalism. I don't think professionalism immediately removes "innuendos" and "Tasteless jokes" (teehee) from consideration, but cursing is something else. Yes, saying "what's up, bitches" is different from "you're a bitch". However, still using it feel unprofessional in my opinion. There are better ways to express that sort of entry/joke.

Again, it's not such a big deal when you target your audience to be a certain group (for example, the group that plays T rated games)- the group who can take such comments without care. But once you start trying to expand to more people, then considerations should be made, no?

Show nested quote +
On May 26 2011 00:41 Thorakh wrote:
I don't believe these words should lose their profane meaning and become a mainstream way of expressing feelings besides perhaps frustration and anger. There are just so many better words for expressing great joy, humor, and surprise.
Profanity in itself is just a stupid concept. If you aren't using profanity to insult others, what's the problem? They're just words that intensify a feeling, like "It's a beautiful sunset" or "It's a fucking awesome match". Words are just that, words, being offended by someone saying 'fuck' is just stupid. How can you be offended by that? Are you offended by the literal act it represents? What do you think your parents did? If anything it's the most beautiful thing in the world and somehow people are 'offended' by it.


Profanity can be used to express indirect anger or frustration. "This fucking ketchup bottle will NOT OPEN."

Regarding your second point: If the words have a history and context of being insulting, and the use of it is primarily to insult, how can you tell me not to be offended? When I have someone belligerent tell me, "FUCK YOUR MOTHER", well shit, I'm going to be offended.

And before anyone else brings up that "Fuck - word context" video from before - what I am saying is exactly what that video is doing. Should we be making the word "mainstream"? My feeling is no. Maybe you feel otherwise =\


I would say "No", in regards to this case.

The visual content they're seeing is still consistent to the rating you would expect, if a parent is fine with violence but not swearing that's their call, but the content in general is age appropriate to what's being seen on screen, and as I said, you can consider the T-rating with notes your point of reference, and I'd be fine with putting that at the bottom of tournament pages if that's really wanted, it does no harm.
Hatsu
Profile Joined March 2010
United Kingdom474 Posts
May 25 2011 16:13 GMT
#388
Regarding a rating system: who would define the ratings? Who would give the ratings? Who would enforce them? It's not exactly an easy thing to do.
Sedit qui timuit ne non succederet
CrushDog5
Profile Joined March 2010
Canada207 Posts
May 25 2011 16:25 GMT
#389
I agree with the OPs concern about language. The major casters should keep it clean. I don't let my kids (7&10) watch the Day[9] Daily anymore. He was (mostly) clean at the beginning, but got foul mouthed over the last while.

The younger kids (and the geek dads that encourage them) are the future of eSports.

As long as the casters talk like teenage boys, that's the only audience they will appeal to, and the only audience eSports will get.
SkillCraft.com - StarCraft + Science
JustPassingBy
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
10776 Posts
May 25 2011 16:31 GMT
#390
Hm... why is it that americans have a problem when their kids hear the f-word, but see absolutely no problem letting their kids watch a scene where a dark templar slices a ghost literally in half, splattering blood everywhere, his screams piercing the air?
Or a group of marines being corned by a swarm of zerglings who rip them apart mercilessly, drowning the floor in their blood?
Lumin
Profile Joined August 2010
United States217 Posts
May 25 2011 16:33 GMT
#391
You parents shouldn't let your kids on the internet then.
VillageBC
Profile Joined January 2011
322 Posts
May 25 2011 16:34 GMT
#392
I agree with the OP. I'm a parent 24/7 (2yr old, another on the way) and I'd like to continue to enjoy SC2 content regardless of that fact. Like any other sporting event, I expect to be able to watch hockey (Go Canucks Go) minus the f-bombs and to be honest off coloured jokes. I can turn on any sports channel or radio talk show and get generally explicative free content. I treat SC2 similar way, often streaming something as background noise as I'm doing something else and not actively watching it. I know the community players well enough that I generally know what is safe and isn't. But an extra tool would be helpful, pretty certain GOM, NASL, IPL and MLG are all going to be clean or clean enough for me to have on.

Is that smaller tournament cast by relative unknowns going to be clean? From experience, probably not so i'm not going to fire it up. Is State of the Game going to be clean, fuck no and it shouldn't be and I know what I'm getting and love it. However is Inside the Game? I've watched the episodes, but I'm not sure where it's trying to fall, it's got Geoff and it's the middle of the day and starts with 'what up biatches'. But I can't really recall a lot of profanity so I think it's safe-ish at least.

But as a general rule, just shut the fuck up with your profanity. I don't want to hear it whether I have a kid or not.
CrushDog5
Profile Joined March 2010
Canada207 Posts
May 25 2011 16:35 GMT
#393
On May 26 2011 00:20 djWHEAT wrote:
"What is up bitches!"

4 words.

4 fucking words.

A standard cast will consist of Thousands of words. But it's 4 words that people latch onto.



You won't find those words in any mainstream coverage about any mainstream sport.

I think there SHOULD be foul-mouthed casters running internet shows that appeal to people who like that sort of thing.

BUT I think there should ALSO be shows/casts that parents can be comfortable letting their 7 yr old future GSL winner watch. Especially more improve-your-game sorts of shows. The current scene is dominated by the former.

IDEA - someone should make a list of kid friendly casters and shows.





SkillCraft.com - StarCraft + Science
Mordiford
Profile Joined April 2011
4448 Posts
May 25 2011 16:35 GMT
#394
On May 26 2011 01:25 CrushDog5 wrote:
I agree with the OPs concern about language. The major casters should keep it clean. I don't let my kids (7&10) watch the Day[9] Daily anymore. He was (mostly) clean at the beginning, but got foul mouthed over the last while.

The younger kids (and the geek dads that encourage them) are the future of eSports.

As long as the casters talk like teenage boys, that's the only audience they will appeal to, and the only audience eSports will get.


I disagree.

It's like taking your kids to a PG-13 movie, and then being pissed that there was some profanity in addition to people being blown up all over the the place. It's age appropriate to the content on screen, I think casters are generally doing a fine job in regards to keeping it appropriate. If you're fine with one aspect(violence) but not another(mild profanity) then you can take the time for find specific casters for that, and I'd encourage anyone who wants to push such a tag to go for it.

But a far as ANY event goes, it has always been and should always be age appropriate to the content of the game.

It's an individual perturbation to the profanity, while not minding the violence. I think that all event casting I've seen so far has been age appropriate.

The violence would still earn it the same rating and then it would have just been down to parent who were okay with that but not the rest of the content and wanted to watch it with their kids, that becomes cultural, some people are fine with violence but not profanity, some are fine with profanity but not violence. The content as a whole is age appropriate for it's rating.
brutality
Profile Joined August 2010
United States167 Posts
May 25 2011 16:40 GMT
#395
On May 26 2011 00:20 djWHEAT wrote:
"What is up bitches!"

4 words.

4 fucking words.

A standard cast will consist of Thousands of words. But it's 4 words that people latch onto.

My guess would be that a non-gamer-friend guy would be more put off by acronyms, terminology, and slang from StarCraft 2 (or other games) that they don't understand... than they would be about "BITCHES" being dropped.

Being a father I absolutely respect the OP for his thoughts and glad this topic came up, but I still think we take some of this stuff WAYYYYY too seriously. Looking forward to discussing this topic on Weapon of Choice this week - because I do have opinions as a caster (who likes the medium of the internet because i can be a bit more mature) and opinions as a father.


Thank you WHEAT. I was waiting for someone to post this. I'm not a father so using mature language and mature jokes come natural and I don't think anything of them. I view this as I do music. Censorship takes away from what the artist was saying. Your "What is up bitches!" is your catch line and something people can identify with being as you. There's no way in hell I'd watch a censored version of SOTG or Weapon of Choice. It just wouldn't happen, because I enjoy the mature nature of young adults/adults being who they are and not some "oh god i hope i don't offend somebody". I understand where the OP is coming from but feel that the internet community is not ready for censored casting.
Mordiford
Profile Joined April 2011
4448 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-25 16:49:18
May 25 2011 16:47 GMT
#396
On May 26 2011 01:34 VillageBC wrote:
I agree with the OP. I'm a parent 24/7 (2yr old, another on the way) and I'd like to continue to enjoy SC2 content regardless of that fact. Like any other sporting event, I expect to be able to watch hockey (Go Canucks Go) minus the f-bombs and to be honest off coloured jokes. I can turn on any sports channel or radio talk show and get generally explicative free content. I treat SC2 similar way, often streaming something as background noise as I'm doing something else and not actively watching it. I know the community players well enough that I generally know what is safe and isn't. But an extra tool would be helpful, pretty certain GOM, NASL, IPL and MLG are all going to be clean or clean enough for me to have on.

Is that smaller tournament cast by relative unknowns going to be clean? From experience, probably not so i'm not going to fire it up. Is State of the Game going to be clean, fuck no and it shouldn't be and I know what I'm getting and love it. However is Inside the Game? I've watched the episodes, but I'm not sure where it's trying to fall, it's got Geoff and it's the middle of the day and starts with 'what up biatches'. But I can't really recall a lot of profanity so I think it's safe-ish at least.

But as a general rule, just shut the fuck up with your profanity. I don't want to hear it whether I have a kid or not.


Actually, the major events you listed aren't always 100% clean. None of them are, and that's fine, it's still age appropriate.

If you're fine with one thing but not another, that's your prerogative, but I don't think casters should be expected to adhere to it. It doesn't compare to other sporting events in the same way, because the game itself has a rating with "violence, blood and gore". It's like allowing your kids to watch wrestling or having it playing in your house, or UFC or whatever, the violence and blood are okay to you, but in general it's considered to be age restrictive and in that target, the profanity is age appropriate.

So, Casters? keep doing what you're doing. Players in interviews? Keep doing what you're doing. No need to shut the fuck up with anything.
Glurkenspurk
Profile Joined November 2010
United States1915 Posts
May 25 2011 16:57 GMT
#397
I don't understand this, the most important part of being a parent is teaching your kids stuff. And one of the things you should teach them is just because the people on the internet swear, it doesn't mean they should too. There is literally no reason to censor words from your children. Even if you have a 7 year old that hears day9 say "Go and fucking kill him." What does that really do to the kid? Nothing at all.
It's okay watching all the gore filled deaths in video games or movies but god forbid they see a tit or hear a bad word.
JiYan
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States3668 Posts
May 25 2011 17:02 GMT
#398
well ideally sc2 casters mimic the professionalism of sports casters on tv. we can clearly see that those 'casters' are successful and do a good job of commentating while we watch the action.
Raid
Profile Joined September 2010
United States398 Posts
May 25 2011 17:04 GMT
#399
Man when I was a kid I knew like almost every sexual reference and bs when I turned 12. Parents like to think that their kids are completely innocent but once you go to school its like hats off your gonna learn retarded things some things you wish you never learned. Its better to just embrace the curse words then censor em. Its not like sc2 commentators are talking about the dirtiest most disgusting senile crap they just hit a few swear notes here and there to express how they feel.

In large tournaments I haven't noticed or heard any bad language its just usually personal stuff will you ever get to hear it.

In most cases its just the players playing in the game would curse and it will be viewed beause its broadcasted live. It happens, players curse all the time in every sport whether you like it or not. People can put the language filter on sc2 because yes there is an option but in the end of the day 99% of the people would like to see for themselves that yes indeed idra told Huk to go fuck off.
Mordiford
Profile Joined April 2011
4448 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-25 17:08:20
May 25 2011 17:06 GMT
#400
On May 26 2011 02:02 JiYan wrote:
well ideally sc2 casters mimic the professionalism of sports casters on tv. we can clearly see that those 'casters' are successful and do a good job of commentating while we watch the action.


The thing is, casting is based on a game that itself has a rating. There is an age restriction/recommendation/expectation just by the very nature of the game that isn't present in other sports.
Prev 1 18 19 20 21 22 34 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL Open Qualifier
19:00
Jungsu & Hasu #3
ZZZero.O144
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 15266
Calm 1856
Shuttle 300
White-Ra 242
ZZZero.O 144
Mini 131
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm59
League of Legends
Doublelift3512
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5007
Other Games
summit1g9398
FrodaN2263
Liquid`RaSZi2118
fl0m1920
crisheroes292
C9.Mang0282
ToD244
Livibee179
IndyStarCraft 171
Pyrionflax169
Mew2King43
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1044
StarCraft 2
angryscii 23
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 36
• musti20045 32
• Adnapsc2 28
• HeavenSC 5
• Sammyuel 4
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki47
• blackmanpl 33
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1651
• Shiphtur702
• WagamamaTV301
Upcoming Events
OSC
1h 19m
Replay Cast
1h 19m
OSC
14h 19m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 13h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
[ Show More ]
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.