• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:23
CEST 11:23
KST 18:23
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)76Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9762 users

The Problem with Korea - Page 8

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 30 Next All
StarStruck
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
25339 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-17 22:22:41
May 17 2011 22:20 GMT
#141
On May 18 2011 06:57 archonOOid wrote:
Why can't there be separate scenes? The Korean scene is based around leagues with a rigid framework while the NA/EU scene is based around big LAN events and on-line cups/leagues. The Korean scene is also very localized in comparison to the vast space that occupy non-Korean land. OP wants these very different scenes to interact even more in particular from the foreign to the Korean scene. The recent GOM-MLG agreements aren't as good as the OP wants but the underlying conflict lies in how good the foreigners are in comparison to the Korean players. Therefore, in my opinion, should a world ranking be introduced.

If e-sports are going to get somewhere an international body must be created so that the world ranking ranking becomes fact. However the problem with a world ranking is that if the current two scenes continue to see very little interaction the original underlined question remains but the Koreans are getting out of their native land to play tournaments and they have their own ranking. If the the Koreans continue to take part of the foreigner scene and if a foreigner/world ranking will see the light of the day we will then be able to answer whether a foreigner should play code A or code S.



I think the Korean window of opportunity is slowly closing it's doors once KeSPA gets its feet wet. New doors could open I suppose, but that has never been part of KeSPA's mandate.

It remains to be seen what kind of global opportunities the KeSPA organization will present to the rest of the world. I think one things for sure, there will be many more big tournaments to come once negotiations pick up after the initial agreement. This might happen sooner rather than later. If you recall, GOM revoked their exclusivity to broadcast SC2 due to the lawsuit. It remains to be seen whether or not OGN and MBC will be looking to press the action and try to start up their own leagues.

All the major sponsors in BW will now seek opportunities in SC2.
Novalisk
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Israel1818 Posts
May 17 2011 22:22 GMT
#142
My prediction is that Code A will last less than a month down to maybe 2 weeks, and the loss of airtime for GOM will be covered by an expanded team league.
/commercial
Al Bundy
Profile Joined April 2010
7257 Posts
May 17 2011 22:22 GMT
#143
On May 18 2011 07:19 Xeris wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 18 2011 07:16 AlBundy wrote:
I agree that Code S and Code A formats are not optimal, but it's getting there. With a few tweaks it can become even better. I believe that imitating BW proleague and starleague formats could be the right move.

But moreso I'm tired of reading the same bullshit everytime there's a scheduling conflict. Korea is not the problem, but as you are from the NA scene, you can't understand that.

I'll tell you, the FOREIGN SCENE GOT A PROBLEM ! What's up with these shitty 3 day tournaments every once in a while? Looks more like a fucking fun fair than a serious tournament.
Also what's up with these shitty online tournaments? You think NASL and EG Masters cup are the real deal?

There's one thing you don't seem to understand, Korea is doing it RIGHT. Koreans KNOW how to set up esports events and tournaments. BW starleague and proleague format are the BEST formats for competitive RTS.

Is it the koreans' fault that foreign teams and foreign tournament organizers failed to set up a regular scene, featuring regular offline tournaments? Is it the koreans' fault that the foreign scene is too scattered?

The more I read this forums, the more I feel that foreign scene is all about the MONEY, the EASY MONEY. Making the most money with the least dedication needed. That's just too sad.

Also online tournaments are NOT THE WAY TO GO. Wake up, dude! Korea is the #1 esports country, maybe they're doing something right, aren't they?


Do you realize how different it is to have the GSL in Korea and how unrealistic it is to do that in Europe or America? They're MUCH bigger (geographically) than Korea.

It's not my problem. YOU, and the other people/organizations who form the foreign scene, need to come up with something. You need to meet and come up with an agreement. Teams having team houses in the same place would have been a good start. Unfortunately, it seems that nobody talks to nodoby, every organization does its thing in its corner.
o choro é livre
rysecake
Profile Joined October 2010
United States2632 Posts
May 17 2011 22:23 GMT
#144
On May 18 2011 06:54 FlamingTurd wrote:
Wow that was an awesome writeup OP. You have many great and valid points. I definitely think the foreigners should be put right into code S like you said as well.


Put bad people into code s and kick out those who deserve to be there? Yea valid point...

We seeded foreigners into code A a few season ago, what happened? I think all but 1 foreigner lost in the first round, pathetic. Koreans are working their ass off to get into code a/s, foreigners in no way deserve a free be in. Like someone else said, it seems the foreigner community is all about the money, which is understandable, yet pathetic at the same time.
The Notorious Winkles
Tsenister
Profile Joined December 2010
United Kingdom112 Posts
May 17 2011 22:23 GMT
#145
I think a few people have touched upon is that Code S invites will probably weaken the quality of the GSL in general. If you've got into Code S from qualifiers all the way through and by up-and-down matches then as a player you've had extreme amounts of dedication/skill and maybe a pinch of luck thrown in.

I don't want Korean GSL to have a bunch of foreigners that have been casted in from a foreign tournament into Code S. It's another spot that's taken away from a Korean that probably much more deserving with plenty of decent enough players shining in GTSL but can't get into Code S.

My point is that'll we'll just have to wait if it's the case of havin more channels with more tournaments in Korea but if thats the case then SC2 may have grown to such extent in Europe and America that foreign players don't need to travel to Korea to win big. One day all the major tournament holders may get together and hold it in some neutral country (pigs might fly) and offer a top prize of $250k (again blue pigs might fly)
Tryxtira
Profile Joined November 2010
Sweden572 Posts
May 17 2011 22:24 GMT
#146
On May 18 2011 07:19 Xeris wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 18 2011 07:16 AlBundy wrote:
I agree that Code S and Code A formats are not optimal, but it's getting there. With a few tweaks it can become even better. I believe that imitating BW proleague and starleague formats could be the right move.

But moreso I'm tired of reading the same bullshit everytime there's a scheduling conflict. Korea is not the problem, but as you are from the NA scene, you can't understand that.

I'll tell you, the FOREIGN SCENE GOT A PROBLEM ! What's up with these shitty 3 day tournaments every once in a while? Looks more like a fucking fun fair than a serious tournament.
Also what's up with these shitty online tournaments? You think NASL and EG Masters cup are the real deal?

There's one thing you don't seem to understand, Korea is doing it RIGHT. Koreans KNOW how to set up esports events and tournaments. BW starleague and proleague format are the BEST formats for competitive RTS.

Is it the koreans' fault that foreign teams and foreign tournament organizers failed to set up a regular scene, featuring regular offline tournaments? Is it the koreans' fault that the foreign scene is too scattered?

The more I read this forums, the more I feel that foreign scene is all about the MONEY, the EASY MONEY. Making the most money with the least dedication needed. That's just too sad.

Also online tournaments are NOT THE WAY TO GO. Wake up, dude! Korea is the #1 esports country, maybe they're doing something right, aren't they?


Do you realize how different it is to have the GSL in Korea and how unrealistic it is to do that in Europe or America? They're MUCH bigger (geographically) than Korea.


True, however, I believe that what I wrote in my previous post still stands. If there was a tournament such as the GSL in NA or Europe, the city hosting it would be the "place to be" for all the teams. Right?
infinity2k9
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United Kingdom2397 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-17 22:30:51
May 17 2011 22:25 GMT
#147
Is this really things Gretech needs to do though? Besides the obvious like telling teams well in advance, that's a given. They run a tournament, but it's like you're applying a load of extra responsibility onto them besides simply running a tournament.

To me it seems like it's just the teams need to improve to sort a lot of these problems out. Better sponsors, to pay salaries and afford houses. Until that happens of course it's simply not going to be feasible. I'm not sure this is a problem to be solved, the progression of the scene as a whole (if it happens) will make these things easier.

On May 18 2011 07:20 StarStruck wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 18 2011 06:57 archonOOid wrote:
Why can't there be separate scenes? The Korean scene is based around leagues with a rigid framework while the NA/EU scene is based around big LAN events and on-line cups/leagues. The Korean scene is also very localized in comparison to the vast space that occupy non-Korean land. OP wants these very different scenes to interact even more in particular from the foreign to the Korean scene. The recent GOM-MLG agreements aren't as good as the OP wants but the underlying conflict lies in how good the foreigners are in comparison to the Korean players. Therefore, in my opinion, should a world ranking be introduced.

If e-sports are going to get somewhere an international body must be created so that the world ranking ranking becomes fact. However the problem with a world ranking is that if the current two scenes continue to see very little interaction the original underlined question remains but the Koreans are getting out of their native land to play tournaments and they have their own ranking. If the the Koreans continue to take part of the foreigner scene and if a foreigner/world ranking will see the light of the day we will then be able to answer whether a foreigner should play code A or code S.



I think the Korean window of opportunity is slowly closing it's doors once KeSPA gets its feet wet. New doors could open I suppose, but that has never been part of KeSPA's mandate.

It remains to be seen what kind of global opportunities the KeSPA organization will present to the rest of the world. I think one things for sure, there will be many more big tournaments to come once negotiations pick up after the initial agreement. This might happen sooner rather than later. If you recall, GOM revoked their exclusivity to broadcast SC2 due to the lawsuit. It remains to be seen whether or not OGN and MBC will be looking to press the action and try to start up their own leagues.

All the major sponsors in BW will now seek opportunities in SC2.


No you recalled wrong, they revoked their BW license. Gretech still controls everything related to SC2 no one else can have anything to do with broadcasting it. BW sponsors form the group that is KeSPA, so it's illogical to assume they will seek anything in SC2 in the near future. I believe it's unlikely they will be even willing to grant a license to KeSPA in the future when it appears like they have much more control over the scene if it's Gretech in charge.
Tryxtira
Profile Joined November 2010
Sweden572 Posts
May 17 2011 22:26 GMT
#148
On May 18 2011 07:22 AlBundy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 18 2011 07:19 Xeris wrote:
On May 18 2011 07:16 AlBundy wrote:
I agree that Code S and Code A formats are not optimal, but it's getting there. With a few tweaks it can become even better. I believe that imitating BW proleague and starleague formats could be the right move.

But moreso I'm tired of reading the same bullshit everytime there's a scheduling conflict. Korea is not the problem, but as you are from the NA scene, you can't understand that.

I'll tell you, the FOREIGN SCENE GOT A PROBLEM ! What's up with these shitty 3 day tournaments every once in a while? Looks more like a fucking fun fair than a serious tournament.
Also what's up with these shitty online tournaments? You think NASL and EG Masters cup are the real deal?

There's one thing you don't seem to understand, Korea is doing it RIGHT. Koreans KNOW how to set up esports events and tournaments. BW starleague and proleague format are the BEST formats for competitive RTS.

Is it the koreans' fault that foreign teams and foreign tournament organizers failed to set up a regular scene, featuring regular offline tournaments? Is it the koreans' fault that the foreign scene is too scattered?

The more I read this forums, the more I feel that foreign scene is all about the MONEY, the EASY MONEY. Making the most money with the least dedication needed. That's just too sad.

Also online tournaments are NOT THE WAY TO GO. Wake up, dude! Korea is the #1 esports country, maybe they're doing something right, aren't they?


Do you realize how different it is to have the GSL in Korea and how unrealistic it is to do that in Europe or America? They're MUCH bigger (geographically) than Korea.

It's not my problem. YOU, and the other people/organizations who form the foreign scene, need to come up with something. You need to meet and come up with an agreement. Teams having team houses in the same place would have been a good start. Unfortunately, it seems that nobody talks to nodoby, every organization does its thing in its corner.


I don't know if you mean to, but you come off as very aggressive for no appearent reason. I really appreciate Xeris taking time and typing a post here to give us his point of view. I think you should as well..
Yaotzin
Profile Joined August 2010
South Africa4280 Posts
May 17 2011 22:26 GMT
#149
On May 18 2011 07:23 Tsenister wrote:
I think a few people have touched upon is that Code S invites will probably weaken the quality of the GSL in general. If you've got into Code S from qualifiers all the way through and by up-and-down matches then as a player you've had extreme amounts of dedication/skill and maybe a pinch of luck thrown in.

If an inadequate player gets an invite to Code S, that would weaken Code S by only one player, and for only one month (if they retain Code S they are adequate, obviously).
Al Bundy
Profile Joined April 2010
7257 Posts
May 17 2011 22:29 GMT
#150
On May 18 2011 07:26 Tryxtira wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 18 2011 07:22 AlBundy wrote:
On May 18 2011 07:19 Xeris wrote:
On May 18 2011 07:16 AlBundy wrote:
I agree that Code S and Code A formats are not optimal, but it's getting there. With a few tweaks it can become even better. I believe that imitating BW proleague and starleague formats could be the right move.

But moreso I'm tired of reading the same bullshit everytime there's a scheduling conflict. Korea is not the problem, but as you are from the NA scene, you can't understand that.

I'll tell you, the FOREIGN SCENE GOT A PROBLEM ! What's up with these shitty 3 day tournaments every once in a while? Looks more like a fucking fun fair than a serious tournament.
Also what's up with these shitty online tournaments? You think NASL and EG Masters cup are the real deal?

There's one thing you don't seem to understand, Korea is doing it RIGHT. Koreans KNOW how to set up esports events and tournaments. BW starleague and proleague format are the BEST formats for competitive RTS.

Is it the koreans' fault that foreign teams and foreign tournament organizers failed to set up a regular scene, featuring regular offline tournaments? Is it the koreans' fault that the foreign scene is too scattered?

The more I read this forums, the more I feel that foreign scene is all about the MONEY, the EASY MONEY. Making the most money with the least dedication needed. That's just too sad.

Also online tournaments are NOT THE WAY TO GO. Wake up, dude! Korea is the #1 esports country, maybe they're doing something right, aren't they?


Do you realize how different it is to have the GSL in Korea and how unrealistic it is to do that in Europe or America? They're MUCH bigger (geographically) than Korea.

It's not my problem. YOU, and the other people/organizations who form the foreign scene, need to come up with something. You need to meet and come up with an agreement. Teams having team houses in the same place would have been a good start. Unfortunately, it seems that nobody talks to nodoby, every organization does its thing in its corner.


I don't know if you mean to, but you come off as very aggressive for no appearent reason. I really appreciate Xeris taking time and typing a post here to give us his point of view. I think you should as well..

You are right, and I apologize, I respect Xeris and al the work he has done. However, that's because I'm disappointed. When sc2 scene started to grow, I though the teams and tournament organizers would agree to gather in some place (example ; South California) then set up something similar to the Korean scene... :s
o choro é livre
EnderCraft
Profile Joined December 2010
United States1746 Posts
May 17 2011 22:29 GMT
#151
On May 18 2011 07:26 Yaotzin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 18 2011 07:23 Tsenister wrote:
I think a few people have touched upon is that Code S invites will probably weaken the quality of the GSL in general. If you've got into Code S from qualifiers all the way through and by up-and-down matches then as a player you've had extreme amounts of dedication/skill and maybe a pinch of luck thrown in.

If an inadequate player gets an invite to Code S, that would weaken Code S by only one player, and for only one month (if they retain Code S they are adequate, obviously).

Honestly, A player like Naniwa or Thorzain can win GSL. Its definitely feasible... Naniwa won MLG dallas, and I have no doubt in my mind that he would do well in Korea.
SC:BW has a higher skill ceiling than SC2? SC 64 is where it's at brah.
L3g3nd_
Profile Joined July 2010
New Zealand10461 Posts
May 17 2011 22:33 GMT
#152
great write up! agree completely
https://twitter.com/#!/IrisAnother
infinity2k9
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United Kingdom2397 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-17 22:38:55
May 17 2011 22:36 GMT
#153
On May 18 2011 07:26 Tryxtira wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 18 2011 07:22 AlBundy wrote:
On May 18 2011 07:19 Xeris wrote:
On May 18 2011 07:16 AlBundy wrote:
I agree that Code S and Code A formats are not optimal, but it's getting there. With a few tweaks it can become even better. I believe that imitating BW proleague and starleague formats could be the right move.

But moreso I'm tired of reading the same bullshit everytime there's a scheduling conflict. Korea is not the problem, but as you are from the NA scene, you can't understand that.

I'll tell you, the FOREIGN SCENE GOT A PROBLEM ! What's up with these shitty 3 day tournaments every once in a while? Looks more like a fucking fun fair than a serious tournament.
Also what's up with these shitty online tournaments? You think NASL and EG Masters cup are the real deal?

There's one thing you don't seem to understand, Korea is doing it RIGHT. Koreans KNOW how to set up esports events and tournaments. BW starleague and proleague format are the BEST formats for competitive RTS.

Is it the koreans' fault that foreign teams and foreign tournament organizers failed to set up a regular scene, featuring regular offline tournaments? Is it the koreans' fault that the foreign scene is too scattered?

The more I read this forums, the more I feel that foreign scene is all about the MONEY, the EASY MONEY. Making the most money with the least dedication needed. That's just too sad.

Also online tournaments are NOT THE WAY TO GO. Wake up, dude! Korea is the #1 esports country, maybe they're doing something right, aren't they?


Do you realize how different it is to have the GSL in Korea and how unrealistic it is to do that in Europe or America? They're MUCH bigger (geographically) than Korea.

It's not my problem. YOU, and the other people/organizations who form the foreign scene, need to come up with something. You need to meet and come up with an agreement. Teams having team houses in the same place would have been a good start. Unfortunately, it seems that nobody talks to nodoby, every organization does its thing in its corner.


I don't know if you mean to, but you come off as very aggressive for no appearent reason. I really appreciate Xeris taking time and typing a post here to give us his point of view. I think you should as well..


He was a bit aggressive but don't you think he's got a bit of a point here? Why are we assuming the problem is Korea here. It's really the teams responsibilities to do these things, and they are not yet up to the logistics and finances required for it. Nevertheless, what's the motivation for the players to even go to Korea right now even if it was much easier...

The bigger issue in my view is simply thus; The GSL/GSTL are the only tournaments in Korea, they are far too competitive and Western gamers will not want to put the effort in to consistently compete in it. They can just play in multiple objectively easier tournaments around the world for more money. The only reason to play in them is pretty much for the prestige, or if you can manage to schedule other tournaments around it. I'm going to take a wild guess that neither of the solutions listed in the OP would change anything, a couple of players extra might try their luck at most because of the possibly unfair-to-koreans invite.
Xeris
Profile Blog Joined July 2005
Iran17695 Posts
May 17 2011 22:37 GMT
#154
On May 18 2011 07:29 AlBundy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 18 2011 07:26 Tryxtira wrote:
On May 18 2011 07:22 AlBundy wrote:
On May 18 2011 07:19 Xeris wrote:
On May 18 2011 07:16 AlBundy wrote:
I agree that Code S and Code A formats are not optimal, but it's getting there. With a few tweaks it can become even better. I believe that imitating BW proleague and starleague formats could be the right move.

But moreso I'm tired of reading the same bullshit everytime there's a scheduling conflict. Korea is not the problem, but as you are from the NA scene, you can't understand that.

I'll tell you, the FOREIGN SCENE GOT A PROBLEM ! What's up with these shitty 3 day tournaments every once in a while? Looks more like a fucking fun fair than a serious tournament.
Also what's up with these shitty online tournaments? You think NASL and EG Masters cup are the real deal?

There's one thing you don't seem to understand, Korea is doing it RIGHT. Koreans KNOW how to set up esports events and tournaments. BW starleague and proleague format are the BEST formats for competitive RTS.

Is it the koreans' fault that foreign teams and foreign tournament organizers failed to set up a regular scene, featuring regular offline tournaments? Is it the koreans' fault that the foreign scene is too scattered?

The more I read this forums, the more I feel that foreign scene is all about the MONEY, the EASY MONEY. Making the most money with the least dedication needed. That's just too sad.

Also online tournaments are NOT THE WAY TO GO. Wake up, dude! Korea is the #1 esports country, maybe they're doing something right, aren't they?


Do you realize how different it is to have the GSL in Korea and how unrealistic it is to do that in Europe or America? They're MUCH bigger (geographically) than Korea.

It's not my problem. YOU, and the other people/organizations who form the foreign scene, need to come up with something. You need to meet and come up with an agreement. Teams having team houses in the same place would have been a good start. Unfortunately, it seems that nobody talks to nodoby, every organization does its thing in its corner.


I don't know if you mean to, but you come off as very aggressive for no appearent reason. I really appreciate Xeris taking time and typing a post here to give us his point of view. I think you should as well..

You are right, and I apologize, I respect Xeris and al the work he has done. However, that's because I'm disappointed. When sc2 scene started to grow, I though the teams and tournament organizers would agree to gather in some place (example ; South California) then set up something similar to the Korean scene... :s


We'd love for the NASL to do just that, but its really not feasible (realistically). It isn't to say "this is YOUR problem, not Korea's"... Korea was "blessed" in a way that it is a small, highly centralized country who happened to have eSports take off in a huge way. This makes their model totally unique. There has to be a realistic way to do this that will work for everyone. We can't just copy them in every way.

It isn't as simple to say "This works in Korea. Korea does it right. Everyone should use their model."
twitter.com/xerislight -- follow me~~
MegaManEXE
Profile Joined September 2010
United States845 Posts
May 17 2011 22:39 GMT
#155
I'm strongly against free code S invites to anybody. If you're good enough to be a code S player (Bomber, Alicia, etc) then you should be able to work your way up. Free code A invites, maybe. If you can't survive in code A then you don't deserve code S.

And an online tournament, even if it's for code A, doesn't sit well with me. The GSL does it right, the foreign tournaments can't even come close to comparing. The atmosphere and production value that goes into the GSL is much, much greater than any foreign tournament I've seen, and making code A an online tournament would not be nearly as entertaining for the spectators. And esports is driven by not just the players but heavily by the fans, so putting out a quality product is very important.
Carkis
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada302 Posts
May 17 2011 22:39 GMT
#156
i think the notice aspect is most important, give teams a chance to prep
mufin
Profile Joined May 2010
United States616 Posts
May 17 2011 22:40 GMT
#157
On May 18 2011 07:29 AlBundy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 18 2011 07:26 Tryxtira wrote:
On May 18 2011 07:22 AlBundy wrote:
On May 18 2011 07:19 Xeris wrote:
On May 18 2011 07:16 AlBundy wrote:
I agree that Code S and Code A formats are not optimal, but it's getting there. With a few tweaks it can become even better. I believe that imitating BW proleague and starleague formats could be the right move.

But moreso I'm tired of reading the same bullshit everytime there's a scheduling conflict. Korea is not the problem, but as you are from the NA scene, you can't understand that.

I'll tell you, the FOREIGN SCENE GOT A PROBLEM ! What's up with these shitty 3 day tournaments every once in a while? Looks more like a fucking fun fair than a serious tournament.
Also what's up with these shitty online tournaments? You think NASL and EG Masters cup are the real deal?

There's one thing you don't seem to understand, Korea is doing it RIGHT. Koreans KNOW how to set up esports events and tournaments. BW starleague and proleague format are the BEST formats for competitive RTS.

Is it the koreans' fault that foreign teams and foreign tournament organizers failed to set up a regular scene, featuring regular offline tournaments? Is it the koreans' fault that the foreign scene is too scattered?

The more I read this forums, the more I feel that foreign scene is all about the MONEY, the EASY MONEY. Making the most money with the least dedication needed. That's just too sad.

Also online tournaments are NOT THE WAY TO GO. Wake up, dude! Korea is the #1 esports country, maybe they're doing something right, aren't they?


Do you realize how different it is to have the GSL in Korea and how unrealistic it is to do that in Europe or America? They're MUCH bigger (geographically) than Korea.

It's not my problem. YOU, and the other people/organizations who form the foreign scene, need to come up with something. You need to meet and come up with an agreement. Teams having team houses in the same place would have been a good start. Unfortunately, it seems that nobody talks to nodoby, every organization does its thing in its corner.


I don't know if you mean to, but you come off as very aggressive for no appearent reason. I really appreciate Xeris taking time and typing a post here to give us his point of view. I think you should as well..

You are right, and I apologize, I respect Xeris and al the work he has done. However, that's because I'm disappointed. When sc2 scene started to grow, I though the teams and tournament organizers would agree to gather in some place (example ; South California) then set up something similar to the Korean scene... :s


well that could happen or it could get so big that costs of flying players out to anywhere becomes negligible (take any major sport as an example).
I only make 5 actions per minute. But since I use all my time deliberating and planning, my 5 actions are so brutally devastating that children cry out and grown men weep.
SaturnAttack
Profile Joined September 2010
United States125 Posts
May 17 2011 22:40 GMT
#158
I can't imagine GOM doing this for any other reason except the viewership numbers for GSL are much better with foreigners in the tournament. Even with all the money they put up for plane tickets / housing I can already sense it's going to fail.

A possible solution might be to have top X GSL finishers seeded for the next Code S competition, with the rest being drawn from separate Korean / International qualifiers. If foreigners really doesn't stack up simply decrease the number of slots foreign qualifiers can offer up to the GSL. I hate how little player movement the current system provides.
cheesemaster
Profile Joined February 2011
Canada1975 Posts
May 17 2011 22:41 GMT
#159
On May 18 2011 07:29 AlBundy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 18 2011 07:26 Tryxtira wrote:
On May 18 2011 07:22 AlBundy wrote:
On May 18 2011 07:19 Xeris wrote:
On May 18 2011 07:16 AlBundy wrote:
I agree that Code S and Code A formats are not optimal, but it's getting there. With a few tweaks it can become even better. I believe that imitating BW proleague and starleague formats could be the right move.

But moreso I'm tired of reading the same bullshit everytime there's a scheduling conflict. Korea is not the problem, but as you are from the NA scene, you can't understand that.

I'll tell you, the FOREIGN SCENE GOT A PROBLEM ! What's up with these shitty 3 day tournaments every once in a while? Looks more like a fucking fun fair than a serious tournament.
Also what's up with these shitty online tournaments? You think NASL and EG Masters cup are the real deal?

There's one thing you don't seem to understand, Korea is doing it RIGHT. Koreans KNOW how to set up esports events and tournaments. BW starleague and proleague format are the BEST formats for competitive RTS.

Is it the koreans' fault that foreign teams and foreign tournament organizers failed to set up a regular scene, featuring regular offline tournaments? Is it the koreans' fault that the foreign scene is too scattered?

The more I read this forums, the more I feel that foreign scene is all about the MONEY, the EASY MONEY. Making the most money with the least dedication needed. That's just too sad.

Also online tournaments are NOT THE WAY TO GO. Wake up, dude! Korea is the #1 esports country, maybe they're doing something right, aren't they?


Do you realize how different it is to have the GSL in Korea and how unrealistic it is to do that in Europe or America? They're MUCH bigger (geographically) than Korea.

It's not my problem. YOU, and the other people/organizations who form the foreign scene, need to come up with something. You need to meet and come up with an agreement. Teams having team houses in the same place would have been a good start. Unfortunately, it seems that nobody talks to nodoby, every organization does its thing in its corner.


I don't know if you mean to, but you come off as very aggressive for no appearent reason. I really appreciate Xeris taking time and typing a post here to give us his point of view. I think you should as well..

You are right, and I apologize, I respect Xeris and al the work he has done. However, that's because I'm disappointed. When sc2 scene started to grow, I though the teams and tournament organizers would agree to gather in some place (example ; South California) then set up something similar to the Korean scene... :s

The western scene will never grow to its full potential until something like this can happen, that is why i see way more opportunity in the korean market right now as something like this is possible. Esports will not beable to attract huge viewers with online tournaments only, its just not as exciting and will probably not pull much of a new audience (as we have seen with IPL and NASL, its never both of them that have good numbers when they were running at the same time, there is like a max of about 20k for an average day, sometimes ipl would take 12 and NASL would take 8 sometimes it would be the other way around )

It doesnt seem like it will be possible in the west until alot more money is put into esports, but as it stands i dont know if having 10-20k viewers is enought to sustain a 100,000 dollar tournament doeesnt really seem viable although i guess their overhead is minimal compared to someone on network television.
Slayers_MMA The terran who beats terrans
Baarn
Profile Joined April 2010
United States2702 Posts
May 17 2011 22:41 GMT
#160
If I was pro player living in korea I'd go to a foreign event and win it to skip the code a crap if what you suggested happened about direct invite to code s. They should scrap the two tiers and make it a single big tournament. Then start up a seperate tournament by themselves or partner with ogn/mbc on their network. Winning MLG or whatever will lead you to one of the two tournaments. Give Koreans more hope and foreigner more incentive to want to live in Korea.
There's no S in KT. :P
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 30 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 37m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
actioN 1213
firebathero 641
Hyun 402
Hyuk 398
BeSt 344
Jaedong 336
Mong 292
Soma 217
PianO 87
Shine 68
[ Show more ]
Sexy 68
910 57
Mind 55
Stork 47
sSak 41
Shinee 28
Hm[arnc] 27
ZergMaN 27
Bale 25
yabsab 22
Sharp 19
HiyA 17
ZerO 16
sorry 13
Noble 11
Terrorterran 6
Dota 2
XcaliburYe9
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss1226
olofmeister1150
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King320
Other Games
gofns34298
summit1g7849
ceh9615
KnowMe136
Pyrionflax104
Livibee44
Trikslyr26
ZerO(Twitch)5
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick466
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream37
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1004
• Stunt381
Other Games
• Shiphtur444
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
1h 37m
Patches Events
6h 37m
The PondCast
1d
INu's Battles
1d 1h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 12h
Replay Cast
1d 13h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.