• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:09
CEST 00:09
KST 07:09
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site Bot on ladder BW General Discussion BSL Season 23
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8135 users

Starcraft is big enough for TV to ignore. - Page 3

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 16 17 18 Next All
Holcan
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada2593 Posts
April 12 2011 02:56 GMT
#41
starcraft is a lot like golf, one day things are exciting, the rest of the days are just something to sleep through .
Reference The Inadvertant Joey, Strong talented orchastrasted intelligent character.
udgnim
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States8024 Posts
April 12 2011 02:56 GMT
#42
agreed

only place where SC2 has a legitimate opportunity on television is Korea and that is due to Korea's cultural acceptance. NA and EU are not anywhere close to Korea's acceptance for watching people play games.
E-Sports is competitive video gaming with a spectator fan base. Do not take the word "Sports" literally.
ronpaul012
Profile Joined March 2011
United States769 Posts
April 12 2011 02:56 GMT
#43
I'd agree with some of both articles. The main point I have to contribute is that you make the claim that a tv channel could not go 45 minutes without showing a commercial. I'd have to disagree with this, soccer. A half is 45 minutes, and the world cup showed that the sport has a spot in this countries tv. I'd also make a point that they could incorporate sponsorships more. Possibly by putting advertisements on the maps they play on? Sounds weird I know, but most sports put some advertisements around the edge of the playing field. Also mentioning advertisements, or have a statistics pop up at the beginning of the game with some advertisements on them like most sports do. Not trying to whore out esports, but I do believe that lack of advertising time should really be an excuse. Overall though, I definitely believe it would be tough to be on tv.
I'm a gooner.
imyzhang
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Canada809 Posts
April 12 2011 02:57 GMT
#44
couldn't agree more (mostly because of the second paragraph under "Why Starcraft should never be on Western Television.").
bleh
Zlasher
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States9129 Posts
April 12 2011 02:57 GMT
#45
I just want to write here so I can say I posted in a legendary thread.

I read on twitter that you were going to write up a post but this is really incredible, great work.

Everyone should follow this man on twitter if they don't already, I know he just made it like 2 weeks ago, but www.twitter.com/Kennigit should have thousands, no jokes.
Follow me: www.twitter.com/zlasher
Al Bundy
Profile Joined April 2010
7257 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-12 02:58:49
April 12 2011 02:58 GMT
#46
Thanks for the insight, Kennigit. In a way I agree with the fact that western culture may not be ready for this kind of contemporary entertainment.

Kind of off-topic but I've been watching TV for a large number of years, and I can tell you, in my opinion everything that's on TV is pure unadulterated SHIT. So in that regard I look forward to the day this archaic medium dies painfully & miserably.
o choro é livre
Diamond
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States10796 Posts
April 12 2011 02:58 GMT
#47
On April 12 2011 11:56 ronpaul012 wrote:
I'd agree with some of both articles. The main point I have to contribute is that you make the claim that a tv channel could not go 45 minutes without showing a commercial. I'd have to disagree with this, soccer. A half is 45 minutes, and the world cup showed that the sport has a spot in this countries tv. I'd also make a point that they could incorporate sponsorships more. Possibly by putting advertisements on the maps they play on? Sounds weird I know, but most sports put some advertisements around the edge of the playing field. Also mentioning advertisements, or have a statistics pop up at the beginning of the game with some advertisements on them like most sports do. Not trying to whore out esports, but I do believe that lack of advertising time should really be an excuse. Overall though, I definitely believe it would be tough to be on tv.


Blizz won't allow ads on maps.
Ballistix Gaming Global Gaming/Esports Marketing Manager - twitter.com/esvdiamond
relyt
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States1073 Posts
April 12 2011 02:59 GMT
#48
On April 12 2011 11:25 LoLAdriankat wrote:
Pretty sure the 14-25 age group doesn't even care about TV anymore anyway. That age group watches their stuff on Hulu, Youtube, etc.

I think this is very true. I don't even have cable TV anymore and most of my friends don't even watch TV.
devolore
Profile Joined April 2010
United States70 Posts
April 12 2011 03:01 GMT
#49
Very nicely done article. As someone who is heavily invested in internet television as an industry, I think you addressed a lot of very good reasons why something like SC2 is just all-around better off as an internet stream and not something that should try to conform to conventional television standards.

One other thought I think is good to consider as well is that the target demographic for an SC2 broadcast tends to just not be that big on watching television. When we do watch an actual TV series, we tend to download the episodes or watch them on something like hulu or netflix, instead of tuning into them live. It's not like this is a terribly small demographic either, it's just a demographic that doesn't care about television. Why should we? We grew up on the internet.
Kennigit *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada19447 Posts
April 12 2011 03:02 GMT
#50
On April 12 2011 11:55 imareaver3 wrote:
I'm curious, now, how do MBC and OGN do it? I don't know anything about the logistics of the BW scene, so maybe I'm missing something stupid, but why don't the reasons (Like the impossibility of commercial breaks and general inaccessibility of the game) that seem to logically preclude SC2 on Western TV apply to the Korean TV stations? Is there something fundamentally different about them?

Because gaming is much more socially acceptable in South Korea than in the US. You may be surprised to know that an overwhelming majority of fans at live OSL/MSL matches are girls...who don't even have a true appreciation for what is going on. The Korean BW scene masterfully constructed narrative and emotion around the players, and teams. There are so many other shows on MBC/OGN not even related to the matches themselves but rather the casters, players, teams etc. That is what keeps viewers watching MSL/OSL.

It is fundamentally different because in Korea you can market gamers with sex appeal/mystique. When IGN released their new promos for IPL i almost had a heart attack that they are trying something similar - it doesn't work in the west.
Brad
Profile Joined April 2010
2754 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-12 03:04:58
April 12 2011 03:02 GMT
#51
CGS was a catastrophe, it pretty much killed Counter Strike 1.6 as the breakthrough eSport. (It's still alive and kicking, but it would of been MUCH bigger. It's no where near as big as it was). So you know how i feel about this...

This isn't the same situation as that, but it still comes with the terrority. Corporate TV interference will only harm the purity of SC2. SC2 would only work on a dedicated channel, like a MBC/OGN for example. I doubt we are ready for that either. Some of the drivel G4 has to put out to sustain viewers is yeah....
Lee Jae Dong proved that a focus on mechanics and execution could solve problems in the StarCraft game strategy.
ronpaul012
Profile Joined March 2011
United States769 Posts
April 12 2011 03:02 GMT
#52
On April 12 2011 11:58 iCCup.Diamond wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 12 2011 11:56 ronpaul012 wrote:
I'd agree with some of both articles. The main point I have to contribute is that you make the claim that a tv channel could not go 45 minutes without showing a commercial. I'd have to disagree with this, soccer. A half is 45 minutes, and the world cup showed that the sport has a spot in this countries tv. I'd also make a point that they could incorporate sponsorships more. Possibly by putting advertisements on the maps they play on? Sounds weird I know, but most sports put some advertisements around the edge of the playing field. Also mentioning advertisements, or have a statistics pop up at the beginning of the game with some advertisements on them like most sports do. Not trying to whore out esports, but I do believe that lack of advertising time should really be an excuse. Overall though, I definitely believe it would be tough to be on tv.


Blizz won't allow ads on maps.


maybe not the ads on maps then, but when they do pre-game, or even early game stats showing they could throw an ad on or something.
I'm a gooner.
Zlasher
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States9129 Posts
April 12 2011 03:04 GMT
#53
On April 12 2011 11:39 Kennigit wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 12 2011 11:36 echO [W] wrote:
I do have a question for you Kennegit, assuming the viewership is there, do you see the possibility of an MBC Game, or Ongamenet type channel coming to cable television in the west?

There are plenty of very niche cable channels that manage to stay alive like the Military Channel or G4 (though G4 isn't hard core video game coverage) or the Biography channel, or Investigation Discovery. I do admit that I have no idea the inner workings, profit/loss etc etc of these channels.

Or is it simply a cultural divide between something Korea has thats unique to Korea, and immensely difficult to replicate outside of Korea? (the fact that StarCraft is essentially Korea's past time and that you need to reach past-time status to sustain traditional television type programming)

I think North American culture is too different to draw any kind predicition about an MBC/OGN type station. Video Gaming still has far too much stigma around it, and even within gaming culture E-Sports is quite niche. Look at G4 which targets a very broad group of gamers and still has to include casual content like Cops to help ratings.


Hell, just yesterday wasn't it that Colbert jokes about his skilless writers playing starcraft? I don't know how the stereotype will ever go away. It's pretty unfortunate.
Follow me: www.twitter.com/zlasher
MLGrben
Profile Joined August 2010
United States129 Posts
April 12 2011 03:04 GMT
#54
Interesting points on both sides. Personally, I wouldn't mind putting SC2 head to head vs any sport on primetime cable.
Follow me on Twitter for MLG SC2 News http://twitter.com/mlgben
Diamond
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States10796 Posts
April 12 2011 03:05 GMT
#55
On April 12 2011 12:02 ronpaul012 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 12 2011 11:58 iCCup.Diamond wrote:
On April 12 2011 11:56 ronpaul012 wrote:
I'd agree with some of both articles. The main point I have to contribute is that you make the claim that a tv channel could not go 45 minutes without showing a commercial. I'd have to disagree with this, soccer. A half is 45 minutes, and the world cup showed that the sport has a spot in this countries tv. I'd also make a point that they could incorporate sponsorships more. Possibly by putting advertisements on the maps they play on? Sounds weird I know, but most sports put some advertisements around the edge of the playing field. Also mentioning advertisements, or have a statistics pop up at the beginning of the game with some advertisements on them like most sports do. Not trying to whore out esports, but I do believe that lack of advertising time should really be an excuse. Overall though, I definitely believe it would be tough to be on tv.


Blizz won't allow ads on maps.


maybe not the ads on maps then, but when they do pre-game, or even early game stats showing they could throw an ad on or something.


Because those don't pay anywhere near what commercials do, and most TV productions need ample commercials+extras.
Ballistix Gaming Global Gaming/Esports Marketing Manager - twitter.com/esvdiamond
MLGrben
Profile Joined August 2010
United States129 Posts
April 12 2011 03:07 GMT
#56
On April 12 2011 12:02 Kennigit wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 12 2011 11:55 imareaver3 wrote:
I'm curious, now, how do MBC and OGN do it? I don't know anything about the logistics of the BW scene, so maybe I'm missing something stupid, but why don't the reasons (Like the impossibility of commercial breaks and general inaccessibility of the game) that seem to logically preclude SC2 on Western TV apply to the Korean TV stations? Is there something fundamentally different about them?

Because gaming is much more socially acceptable in South Korea than in the US. You may be surprised to know that an overwhelming majority of fans at live OSL/MSL matches are girls...who don't even have a true appreciation for what is going on. The Korean BW scene masterfully constructed narrative and emotion around the players, and teams. There are so many other shows on MBC/OGN not even related to the matches themselves but rather the casters, players, teams etc. That is what keeps viewers watching MSL/OSL.

It is fundamentally different because in Korea you can market gamers with sex appeal/mystique. When IGN released their new promos for IPL i almost had a heart attack that they are trying something similar - it doesn't work in the west.


Remember that what is "socially acceptable" will change relatively quickly. There is an entire generation of kids that are growing up and they consider being good at SC2 or any other game as impressive as being good at basketball.
Follow me on Twitter for MLG SC2 News http://twitter.com/mlgben
Zlasher
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States9129 Posts
April 12 2011 03:08 GMT
#57
On April 12 2011 12:05 iCCup.Diamond wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 12 2011 12:02 ronpaul012 wrote:
On April 12 2011 11:58 iCCup.Diamond wrote:
On April 12 2011 11:56 ronpaul012 wrote:
I'd agree with some of both articles. The main point I have to contribute is that you make the claim that a tv channel could not go 45 minutes without showing a commercial. I'd have to disagree with this, soccer. A half is 45 minutes, and the world cup showed that the sport has a spot in this countries tv. I'd also make a point that they could incorporate sponsorships more. Possibly by putting advertisements on the maps they play on? Sounds weird I know, but most sports put some advertisements around the edge of the playing field. Also mentioning advertisements, or have a statistics pop up at the beginning of the game with some advertisements on them like most sports do. Not trying to whore out esports, but I do believe that lack of advertising time should really be an excuse. Overall though, I definitely believe it would be tough to be on tv.


Blizz won't allow ads on maps.


maybe not the ads on maps then, but when they do pre-game, or even early game stats showing they could throw an ad on or something.


Because those don't pay anywhere near what commercials do, and most TV productions need ample commercials+extras.

Yeah its almost silly that ads can cost hundreds of thousands if not millions for 30 seconds, whereas a banner on certain websites will get as much viewership and cost <2% that
Follow me: www.twitter.com/zlasher
Yoshi Kirishima
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States10382 Posts
April 12 2011 03:08 GMT
#58
lol...

2. Able to target core demographic and casuals simultaneously.
The very strategic nature of Starcraft alienates a lot of viewers. I think we have made huge strides opening the door over the past few years via the work of Day[9], Husky, the SC2GG guys – but it's really not enough. As a viewer, I need to be able to be flicking by a station and within 2-3 minutes understand exactly whats going on even if i've never played. Again though, i believe there is an overwhelming amount of evidence to suggest that "hardcore" games are not able to target hardcore games and casual TV audiences simultaneously.


You are able to tune into a sport like football and know the strategy and how to play it? I sure don't know all the basic rules to pretty much every major sport.

Also, when he said "IPTV" i thought it stood for IGN Proleague TV for a second, aww ;( lol
Mid-master streaming MECH ONLY + commentary www.twitch.tv/yoshikirishima +++ "If all-in fails, all-in again."
ronpaul012
Profile Joined March 2011
United States769 Posts
April 12 2011 03:10 GMT
#59
On April 12 2011 12:08 Zlasher wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 12 2011 12:05 iCCup.Diamond wrote:
On April 12 2011 12:02 ronpaul012 wrote:
On April 12 2011 11:58 iCCup.Diamond wrote:
On April 12 2011 11:56 ronpaul012 wrote:
I'd agree with some of both articles. The main point I have to contribute is that you make the claim that a tv channel could not go 45 minutes without showing a commercial. I'd have to disagree with this, soccer. A half is 45 minutes, and the world cup showed that the sport has a spot in this countries tv. I'd also make a point that they could incorporate sponsorships more. Possibly by putting advertisements on the maps they play on? Sounds weird I know, but most sports put some advertisements around the edge of the playing field. Also mentioning advertisements, or have a statistics pop up at the beginning of the game with some advertisements on them like most sports do. Not trying to whore out esports, but I do believe that lack of advertising time should really be an excuse. Overall though, I definitely believe it would be tough to be on tv.


Blizz won't allow ads on maps.


maybe not the ads on maps then, but when they do pre-game, or even early game stats showing they could throw an ad on or something.


Because those don't pay anywhere near what commercials do, and most TV productions need ample commercials+extras.

Yeah its almost silly that ads can cost hundreds of thousands if not millions for 30 seconds, whereas a banner on certain websites will get as much viewership and cost <2% that


yeah, but at the same time we cant forget that the cost to produce a starcraft game would not be nearly as high as most sports. So you wouldn't have the need to make as much revenue.
I'm a gooner.
Char711
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States862 Posts
April 12 2011 03:10 GMT
#60
Absolutely excellent writeup.

I'm excited for the possibility of IPTV and not constantly hooking my computer up to my TV through tedious cable switching, but I also know that the economics behind it won't be too great for awhile (in other words, I'm too young to have the money to blow on the early implementations, lol).
"If you can chill, chill." -Liquid`Tyler "Special tactics." -White-Ra
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 16 17 18 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL: Ladder Tournament
04:00
#2 - $100
ZZZero.O153
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft152
Nina 61
ViBE43
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 14270
ZZZero.O 153
Dewaltoss 138
firebathero 92
Hyuk 77
Terrorterran 20
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm109
febbydoto45
League of Legends
Doublelift3453
Counter-Strike
Fnx 812
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5900
Other Games
summit1g6689
FrodaN2333
fl0m755
mouzStarbuck417
KnowMe277
ToD246
JimRising 217
ArmadaUGS132
Mew2King40
Railgan31
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1160
BasetradeTV182
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream93
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 67
• musti20045 32
• Letter147
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Noizen112
Other Games
• imaqtpie786
• Shiphtur224
• tFFMrPink 18
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
11h 51m
INu's Battles
13h 51m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
16h 51m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
20h 51m
BSL Open Qualifier
20h 51m
Replay Cast
1d
Afreeca Starleague
1d 11h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 12h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 17h
Replay Cast
2 days
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
6 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.