• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:18
CEST 03:18
KST 10:18
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site Bot on ladder BW General Discussion BSL Season 23
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7936 users

Starcraft is big enough for TV to ignore. - Page 5

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17 18 Next All
Dommk
Profile Joined May 2010
Australia4865 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-12 03:38:32
April 12 2011 03:36 GMT
#81
Yeah, getting SC2 on TV doesn't quite have the same meaning as getting e-sports on TV 6-7 years ago.

You know, I just sat down and tried to remember when was the last time I've actually watched something from Start to finish on TV, and the last time I can remember doing that was 3 years ago, and I live in Australia where I don't have conveniences like Hulu and only recently have we started to get internet plans that have exceeded 30gigs in bandwidth (at a reasonable price range)

Putting some more thought into it, I think the amount of TV I've watched in the last 2 years is probably close to 2 hours... I can't even remember the last time I actually watched TV 0o (in the last two years or so)
Falcor
Profile Joined February 2010
Canada894 Posts
April 12 2011 03:36 GMT
#82
On April 12 2011 12:33 lunick wrote:
Whats wrong with having commercials in between games?


because on tv the commericals wouldnt be just inbetween games they would be every 8 minutes
Highways
Profile Joined July 2005
Australia6122 Posts
April 12 2011 03:36 GMT
#83
I wouldve liked to see this posted on a smurf account.

Everyone is simply gonna agree because it is Kennigit.
#1 Terran hater
SgtSquiglz
Profile Joined December 2010
United States668 Posts
April 12 2011 03:38 GMT
#84
On April 12 2011 12:15 Brad wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 12 2011 12:07 MLGrben wrote:
On April 12 2011 12:02 Kennigit wrote:
On April 12 2011 11:55 imareaver3 wrote:
I'm curious, now, how do MBC and OGN do it? I don't know anything about the logistics of the BW scene, so maybe I'm missing something stupid, but why don't the reasons (Like the impossibility of commercial breaks and general inaccessibility of the game) that seem to logically preclude SC2 on Western TV apply to the Korean TV stations? Is there something fundamentally different about them?

Because gaming is much more socially acceptable in South Korea than in the US. You may be surprised to know that an overwhelming majority of fans at live OSL/MSL matches are girls...who don't even have a true appreciation for what is going on. The Korean BW scene masterfully constructed narrative and emotion around the players, and teams. There are so many other shows on MBC/OGN not even related to the matches themselves but rather the casters, players, teams etc. That is what keeps viewers watching MSL/OSL.

It is fundamentally different because in Korea you can market gamers with sex appeal/mystique. When IGN released their new promos for IPL i almost had a heart attack that they are trying something similar - it doesn't work in the west.


Remember that what is "socially acceptable" will change relatively quickly. There is an entire generation of kids that are growing up and they consider being good at SC2 or any other game as impressive as being good at basketball.


A large percentage of that same generation are still going to grow up watching Western TV like Jersey Shore, and music with the message of "Get money, get ho's." A generation of people who don't see gamers as geeks, nerds and losers is far, far away in my opinion.


I agree, Brad. I just went to CES this weekend, and I still got crap for being a nerd/loser from my friends and family. Granted, they weren't being totally serious, but the sentiment is still there. Even though people these days are growing up with video games, it doesn't mean COMPETITIVE gaming will be socially acceptable. There is more of an influence of the things brad described than of video games.

So yeah, it would be very hard to bring in a casual audience to TV. A lot of people would take one look at a professional videogame competition (they would NOT think "ESPORTS", but "people playing games") and likely change the channel immediately. Or at least that is what the people I know would do.

Besides, as people before me have mentioned, a lot of the target audience solely watches TV online. Its what I do. I barely use my cable package (except for things like Michigan sports away games!), and that is the general trend for a lot of people. Something like streaming (or IPTV) is likely the best option for StarCraft's target audience.

Overall, very well written Kennigit. I agree with pretty much everything you said. This definitely needed to be written.
Take anything I say with a grain of salt.....I suck at this game. Also, Go Blue!
holy_war
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States3590 Posts
April 12 2011 03:40 GMT
#85
On April 12 2011 12:36 Highways wrote:
I wouldve liked to see this posted on a smurf account.

Everyone is simply gonna agree because it is Kennigit.


People are agreeing because Kennigit brought very valid arguments. It is sad because it is true =(
kommunalka
Profile Joined February 2011
United States550 Posts
April 12 2011 03:41 GMT
#86
On April 12 2011 12:33 lunick wrote:
Whats wrong with having commercials in between games? Also I think everything is fine just the way it is... There is already tv on the internet and pretty soon people will only watch it on the computer so I think that starcraft is already a head of the game


Consider the fact that starcraft does not lend itself to television broadcast [in the western episodic sense] for a number of reasons.

compared to conventional sports like hockey or football, a single Bo3 of starcraft could last anywhere from 15mins to 2hours +. While the hockey and football matches will last 60mins of gametime [with the occasional overtime]. Professional sports have been tailored to television over the years with planned TV timeouts and breaks between periods. This simply won't work with StarCraft; as one cannot take a timeout or break in the middle of an hour long macro slugfest. [As kennigit was pointing out]

rG
Lemonayd
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States745 Posts
April 12 2011 03:42 GMT
#87
Is this expansion going to go up? We will find out.... after this commercial break! Fuck that ^^


Seriously though, e-sports/ sc2 on television doesn't seem like it's that big of a deal. Whether or not it becomes more acceptable in American culture, having e-sports on TV seems like such a short sited dream.
Brad
Profile Joined April 2010
2754 Posts
April 12 2011 03:44 GMT
#88
For people who don't know what CGS was.

Lee Jae Dong proved that a focus on mechanics and execution could solve problems in the StarCraft game strategy.
Yoshi Kirishima
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States10382 Posts
April 12 2011 03:45 GMT
#89
i never use to know alot of the rules for sports. But i can still watch the game and instantly understand what is going on and the goals of both sides. If someone tunes into a sc match in the first 5 mins of a game where its mostly just building with maybe a few pokes..if you never played the game you wouldnt have a clue.


Surely someone tuning into a RTS game can figure out the basic goal (it's military, so kill the other guy) if they have basic knowledge of what an RTS is; similarly, most people who tune into sports on TV already have very basic knowledge about ball sports; score goals, somehow, with defensive and offensive positions, etc.

Other than that, I don't think someone new to football would understand why one team can keep trying to advance over and over while the other team had to stop; my parents sure didn't, as the only sport they have decent knowledge about is basketball, which is quite the different ball sport than football. In basketball, I don't know what all the markings on the court mean/restrict/indicate, for example the key near the hoop and all those lines. People who aren't familiar with basketball would not be able to easily figure out what all those mean; why did he suddenly stop defending? The commentators don't really talk about such things, and there are so many markings that it would be difficult to figure out which line means what because you can't even see them that well.

Similarly, someone with only basic knowledge of an RTS may not figure out why people are doing these "small" attacks aka drops/harassment instead of attacking the opponent's army directly. They may not know what minerals are or buildings are, and they won't easily figure out what each thing does unless the commentators teach some newbie things so that the audience will learn or else they would have to look them up.

Perhaps I'm trying to compare two things that are too different, but i hope people understand this.
Mid-master streaming MECH ONLY + commentary www.twitch.tv/yoshikirishima +++ "If all-in fails, all-in again."
Requisition
Profile Joined April 2010
United States97 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-12 03:46:54
April 12 2011 03:46 GMT
#90
On April 12 2011 11:18 Kennigit wrote:
A TV station simply cant run a 45 minute game without commercials in North America and still remain profitable.


Out of curiosity, how do they handle this in Korea?
PackAttack
Profile Joined May 2010
United States80 Posts
April 12 2011 03:47 GMT
#91
Kickass writeup. I wholeheartedly agree that SC has no chance on television, but I think the most important aspect, like many others have said, is that television is becomming totally irrelevant to the average starcraft fan. I am perfectly happy keeping the current state of streams/VODs as the method of exposure.
Kennigit *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada19447 Posts
April 12 2011 03:48 GMT
#92
On April 12 2011 12:07 MLGrben wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 12 2011 12:02 Kennigit wrote:
On April 12 2011 11:55 imareaver3 wrote:
I'm curious, now, how do MBC and OGN do it? I don't know anything about the logistics of the BW scene, so maybe I'm missing something stupid, but why don't the reasons (Like the impossibility of commercial breaks and general inaccessibility of the game) that seem to logically preclude SC2 on Western TV apply to the Korean TV stations? Is there something fundamentally different about them?

Because gaming is much more socially acceptable in South Korea than in the US. You may be surprised to know that an overwhelming majority of fans at live OSL/MSL matches are girls...who don't even have a true appreciation for what is going on. The Korean BW scene masterfully constructed narrative and emotion around the players, and teams. There are so many other shows on MBC/OGN not even related to the matches themselves but rather the casters, players, teams etc. That is what keeps viewers watching MSL/OSL.

It is fundamentally different because in Korea you can market gamers with sex appeal/mystique. When IGN released their new promos for IPL i almost had a heart attack that they are trying something similar - it doesn't work in the west.


Remember that what is "socially acceptable" will change relatively quickly. There is an entire generation of kids that are growing up and they consider being good at SC2 or any other game as impressive as being good at basketball.

100%. I should have written "it doesn't work in the west...yet"
Irave
Profile Joined October 2010
United States9965 Posts
April 12 2011 03:49 GMT
#93
Very well written. I already agreed with this type of thought, you just added a ton more supporting facts.
archangel967
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada111 Posts
April 12 2011 03:49 GMT
#94
Excellent points all around.

Recently I have been contemplating the "editing" challenges that RTS games present (because of the huge playing field) and I think the only answer is to have companies begin to build in better observer tools that allow different points of view. I think that being able to zoom out further from the action would be helpful when observing positional play. It would also be nice to be able to do some PiP or something.

This would also extend to Halo which I find difficult to watch after short periods of time because of the first person view. It's kind of the same as watching pro-level replays from their POV as they jump all over the map.

Kennigit, you make lots of sense. Hopefully these points are taken into consideration by anyone looking to enhance the viewer experience of SC2.
When you're ahead, get further ahead.
GeorgeForeman
Profile Joined April 2005
United States1746 Posts
April 12 2011 03:49 GMT
#95
On April 12 2011 11:25 LoLAdriankat wrote:
Pretty sure the 14-25 age group doesn't even care about TV anymore anyway. That age group watches their stuff on Hulu, Youtube, etc.

If NASL was on TV, I couldn't watch it because I don't have cable. Since it's on the internet, I can stream it on my HD television. internet 1-0 tv
like a school bus through a bunch of kids
bahl sofs tiil
Profile Joined December 2010
United States233 Posts
April 12 2011 03:50 GMT
#96
On April 12 2011 12:07 MLGrben wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 12 2011 12:02 Kennigit wrote:
On April 12 2011 11:55 imareaver3 wrote:
I'm curious, now, how do MBC and OGN do it? I don't know anything about the logistics of the BW scene, so maybe I'm missing something stupid, but why don't the reasons (Like the impossibility of commercial breaks and general inaccessibility of the game) that seem to logically preclude SC2 on Western TV apply to the Korean TV stations? Is there something fundamentally different about them?

Because gaming is much more socially acceptable in South Korea than in the US. You may be surprised to know that an overwhelming majority of fans at live OSL/MSL matches are girls...who don't even have a true appreciation for what is going on. The Korean BW scene masterfully constructed narrative and emotion around the players, and teams. There are so many other shows on MBC/OGN not even related to the matches themselves but rather the casters, players, teams etc. That is what keeps viewers watching MSL/OSL.

It is fundamentally different because in Korea you can market gamers with sex appeal/mystique. When IGN released their new promos for IPL i almost had a heart attack that they are trying something similar - it doesn't work in the west.


Remember that what is "socially acceptable" will change relatively quickly. There is an entire generation of kids that are growing up and they consider being good at SC2 or any other game as impressive as being good at basketball.


What would make you think that is true?
And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick: rational thinking; but, when you're good and crazy, ooohoohoohoohoooo, the sky is the limit!
Kennigit *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada19447 Posts
April 12 2011 03:51 GMT
#97
On April 12 2011 12:46 Requisition wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 12 2011 11:18 Kennigit wrote:
A TV station simply cant run a 45 minute game without commercials in North America and still remain profitable.


Out of curiosity, how do they handle this in Korea?

A few people have posted in more detail a page or 2 back, but Korean TV Stations don't have the same kind of broadcast/commercial regulation as in the west. If you take a 60 minute program in North America, you can almost guarantee when the commercials will be, and that the show itself is cut down to 42 minutes long. Korea doesn't have those types of restrictions.
Navillus
Profile Joined February 2011
United States1188 Posts
April 12 2011 03:52 GMT
#98
On April 12 2011 12:36 Dommk wrote:
Yeah, getting SC2 on TV doesn't quite have the same meaning as getting e-sports on TV 6-7 years ago.

You know, I just sat down and tried to remember when was the last time I've actually watched something from Start to finish on TV, and the last time I can remember doing that was 3 years ago, and I live in Australia where I don't have conveniences like Hulu and only recently have we started to get internet plans that have exceeded 30gigs in bandwidth (at a reasonable price range)

Putting some more thought into it, I think the amount of TV I've watched in the last 2 years is probably close to 2 hours... I can't even remember the last time I actually watched TV 0o (in the last two years or so)


This totally
I actually was sort of in the mindset of Starcraft on TV would be a good thing when I started to read this because last time I even thought about e-sports on TV was a book I read about Counter-Strike trying to get on TV (I'm a bit too young to have paid attention as it happened) and I had always sort of just equated TV to being the big next step and legitimizer of e-sports but then I did what this guy did, I stopped and thought about how much stuff I've watched on TV as compared to computer recently, and now I'm just thinking about how I'm sitting on a couch in front of a TV that I don't even have a cable box for because I only use it for Xbox/Gamecube, so really yeah TV doesn't have to be the end goal anymore and this response really shows why.
"TL gives excellent advice 99% of the time. The problem is no one listens to it." -Plexa
Brad
Profile Joined April 2010
2754 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-12 03:55:54
April 12 2011 03:54 GMT
#99
I know some former CGS employees actually post on TL, it would be great if they could be interviewed on this topic, but i doubt that would ever come to fruition. I would love to hear what Jason Lake would say. Seeing how he was one of the biggest advocates in pushing eSports to the mainstream.
Lee Jae Dong proved that a focus on mechanics and execution could solve problems in the StarCraft game strategy.
BurningSera
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Ireland19621 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-12 03:58:53
April 12 2011 03:56 GMT
#100
i think, some people have something quite different in mind - MONEY. i mean, alot of people saying some casters etc should be appreciated for promoting esport, but deep down do they really care about esport? :3 if esport grows, good for everyone, and they will be praised as some important figures XD; if esport fails, it is 'natural'.

as well as i think that kennigit have made some very good and valid points, some people may fail to see that, someone is just using sc2 to grab some $$$ from the VC. it is just simple as that.
is 2017, stop being lame, fuck's sakes. 'Can't wait for the rise of the cakes and humanity's last stand tbqh.'
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17 18 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 8h 42m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Hyuk 47
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm227
LuMiX0
Other Games
summit1g8885
JimRising 684
PiGStarcraft445
ViBE151
ArmadaUGS100
Mew2King88
Trikslyr32
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1279
BasetradeTV186
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream92
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 101
• davetesta55
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
8h 42m
INu's Battles
10h 42m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
13h 42m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
17h 42m
BSL Open Qualifier
17h 42m
Replay Cast
21h 42m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 8h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 9h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 14h
Replay Cast
1d 21h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.