• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:30
CEST 08:30
KST 15:30
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)54Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8322 users

GSTL more exciting than individual GSL? - Page 7

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 18 Next All
Sworn
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada920 Posts
March 24 2011 00:57 GMT
#121
GSL is boring most of the time. I mean look at the finals this time around.. I wasn't really engaged. Could be that im terran but it wasn't very entertaining. I prefer GSTL just because the winners league style is so engaging and fun to watch even if the games aren't.
"Duty is heavy as a mountain, death is light as a feather." CJ Entus Fighting! <3 Effort
Pinith
Profile Joined September 2010
651 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-24 01:01:47
March 24 2011 01:00 GMT
#122
I think the single-game, play-til-you-lose format adds to the excitement, watching someone 3-kill or all-kill a team is pretty epic.

The other factor is that professional teams just do a better job of seeding than the current GSL. A professional team is going to do a better job of picking their best player for a match than the GSL points will, at least until some time has passed so players filter into the correct code (S, A, or B)
FLuE
Profile Joined September 2010
United States1012 Posts
March 24 2011 01:02 GMT
#123
I love the team league because it is a great change of pace and the different strategies are really interesting. You also get to see a lot of lesser known players that pull out unique strategies geared specifically for their opponent.

You also get to see a bit more personality with the players. That is something I think SC2 needs more of. You need celebrations, villains, and people you root for. The GSTL seems to foster some rivalries and get the players excited. I want to see emotion when people win and lose.

I love everything about it. However, I think it would get boring if they did it to often. I love how it is used to fill the time between the GSL seasons. Right now I really enjoy it but don't want it to get to overdone... sometimes less is more right now the GSTL is paced in a good way to break things up.
darklordjac
Profile Joined July 2010
Canada2231 Posts
March 24 2011 01:06 GMT
#124
I prefer proleague in bw over MSL/OSL just because of the amount of players we get to see and the sheer amount of games.
starcraft911
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Korea (South)1263 Posts
March 24 2011 01:07 GMT
#125
GSTL is pretty awesome so far. There's been some amazing plays from people have yet to make it into Code A.

I gotta admit that when BW was still strong i was really skeptical about the chances of SC2 to impress me and I'm happy to say that SC2 is bringing it strong and I think has done justice to the SC name.
Jesushooves
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada553 Posts
March 24 2011 01:14 GMT
#126
I am loving the teamleague, though OP should have def included a poll.
Lose its good, after will be win.
ImmortalTofu
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States1254 Posts
March 24 2011 01:24 GMT
#127
Hmmm I like GSL more because in both GSTL's oGs has lost early, and I love that team... For real though, I like GSL better because I get to see more play from the players I like rather than no-namers, and in general get to see slightly higher level play.

Basically, I love the GSTL for its entertainment value (The BM and ceremonies are amazing), but the GSL is where its at for the latest builds, trends, and timings, which is what I'm more interested in (As well as MC BM), although the GSTL HAS brought out the 3 stalker 3-gate robo.

I would much rather there be a constant winner's league type competition that occurs seperate of the GSL so I can see my favorite teams and players (as well as the up-and-coming) play even if they've been eliminated/not qualified from/for the GSL!
"Friendship ain't a business deal"
fusihunter
Profile Joined September 2010
Australia208 Posts
March 24 2011 01:25 GMT
#128
Last night was the first time i'd really watched it, and i loved it

I only watched until the Bomber v MMA game finished, but that game alone was way better than alot of the GSL games.

I do like the round robin feel to it. I thought the Code S group games were a bit like this, but there's the added spice of which player plays next, and considering it can be any race, really means that the best overall player benefits most from the variety of opponents.

"I actually don't like games. I just like beating people." - Idra
a9arnn
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States1537 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-24 01:32:45
March 24 2011 01:27 GMT
#129
GSTL is (right now) just slightly better than GSL in my opinion. Cause right now, it seems like the Ro8 was all just 1 player stomping another team (I didn't buy a ticket until after seeing if the Ro4 games were good today ) I think that GSTL would definitely benefit a lot more if they had it with more of a Proleague-style format. It would be so cool if after each GSL, they have a 'round' of GSTL.

I know that winner's league is really exciting, but after a while, I want to see some of the other players on teams. I'd like it if maybe they alternated and had like 1 'normal round' then 1 'winner's league round'. Then, at the end of the year or something, there could be a finals in a different location, let's say Gwanganri (:D).

Edit: Clarification of my definition of round.
Not what they're doing right now, but round robin style like PL.
VOD finder guy for sc2ratings.com/ ! aka: ogndrahcir, a9azn2 | Go ZerO, Stork, Sea, and KawaiiRice :D | nesc2league.com/forum/index.php | youtube.com/watch?v=oaGtjWL5mZo
chongu
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Malaysia2605 Posts
March 24 2011 01:28 GMT
#130
Prize pool for GSTL has to be increased.... even at the cost of of lowering the prize pool of GSL ^____^ increase the air time, get sponsors for GSTL , don't have the tourney in elimination brackets..... then we finally probably have TEAM LEAGUE
SC2 is to BW, what coke is to wine.
SaturnAttack
Profile Joined September 2010
United States125 Posts
March 24 2011 01:31 GMT
#131
GSTL is awesome, but there's not enough. BW Proleague delivered regular entertainment. I hope GOM or someone establishes a real league one day, playoffs and all. The current BW format is perfect but even getting close to it would be good enough for me.

Maybe one day we can have team leagues in other countries, and then a champions league like futbol? One can dream right?
FinestHour
Profile Joined August 2010
United States18466 Posts
March 24 2011 01:31 GMT
#132
I find both to be just as good, they don't offer the same kind of entertainment and both are quite exciting either way
thug life.                                                       MVP/ex-
Goodseed
Profile Joined December 2010
Korea (South)270 Posts
March 24 2011 01:34 GMT
#133
I love GSTL more because they finish all the matches in like 1week and we get to watch a lot of matches. GSL takes so long in between to finish all the bracket.
안녕하소~
silentsod
Profile Joined August 2010
United States198 Posts
March 24 2011 01:40 GMT
#134
One thing and one thing alone makes the GSTL the greater event: "She's got the eyes of a panther!"

I do enjoy the BM and outright crazy games that get played in the GSTL as it occurs much more than the GSL.
Raiznhell
Profile Joined January 2010
Canada786 Posts
March 24 2011 01:40 GMT
#135
I would totally praise GOMtv if they made a team pro league like the BW one with a 6 round season to qualify for a top 4 playoffs (since there's only 8 teams as of right now). I don't see why having both that and the GSL at the same time could be a bad thing it would keep constant action for viewers to watch and pay for and way more opportunity for players and teams to get their names out other than in a small 4 day team tourney in between GSLs.
Cake or Death?
slothly
Profile Joined September 2010
England20 Posts
March 24 2011 01:41 GMT
#136
I was getting pretty bored of pro starcraft until i started watching the GSTL, there is a reason why team sports tend to be vastly more popular than individual ones.
Jeremy Reimer
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Canada1225 Posts
March 24 2011 01:45 GMT
#137
On March 24 2011 05:01 Datum wrote:
On another note: As a resident of Philadelphia, I think most Americans enjoy a somewhat personal connection with their favorite atheletes. Hockey is the least popular of the 4 major sports in part because players wear masks, and you almost never see their faces. It feels imporsonal.


This is kind of off-topic, but hockey players don't wear masks (except the goalies) -- they wear helmets, although some have clear visors over their eyes. Their faces are pretty visible though. I think the reason Hockey isn't as big in the US has more to do with the incredible popularity of other sports like baseball and football, and the fact that (unlike in Canada) there isn't much of a culture around hockey. Up here in the frozen North we live and breathe this stuff. I can recognize all the top players by their faces, and most of the players on my home team.

On topic: I love the GSTL, but as other posters have said, we need both. You need the GSL to make the superstars so that the GSTL can make it exciting to see if they will all-kill or get taken out by a relatively unknown player. Just like in BW, where I love watching Oz put out Jaedong because I've had so much enjoyment watching him win five individual titles.
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." -- Carl Sagan
Umbrella
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Taiwan936 Posts
March 24 2011 01:46 GMT
#138
I think people like GSTL more because it's appeared less frequently.

In BW, proleague/winner's league is on all the time, but I believe the individual leagues get more attention.
SharkSpider
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada606 Posts
March 24 2011 01:47 GMT
#139
While I like GSTL, I think with SC2 in the state that it's in, I wouldn't mind seeing them go to the other method of team battles (players can play at most one game plus ace)

Would be way more strategic for the coaches, plus it would let some of the newer players shine.
TheRPGAddict
Profile Joined October 2010
United States1403 Posts
March 24 2011 01:48 GMT
#140
The team dynamic cannot be matched. I like to see the personality in each team, and you can definitely identify the little quirks and personalities of each team and you can somewhat feel a greater bond between players that you simply do not get in the normal GSL. It also seems like the players enjoy themselves more than the normal GSLs. I would like to think because there is no possibility of a team kill but it is probably mostly because there seems to be less pressure due to the clan mentality.
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 18 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
00:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nina 132
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 1775
ggaemo 474
910 409
Yoon 283
Mong 97
Dewaltoss 93
Shuttle 93
Hm[arnc] 39
soO 29
Bale 26
[ Show more ]
Noble 23
ZergMaN 21
yabsab 19
Icarus 10
sorry 8
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm182
League of Legends
JimRising 610
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1116
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor756
Other Games
summit1g8844
C9.Mang0312
Happy188
PiGStarcraft142
Mew2King123
ceh9115
ArmadaUGS45
trigger15
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream131
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 27
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2355
League of Legends
• Rush1201
• Lourlo1123
• Stunt415
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
6h 30m
OSC
15h 30m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 3h
Online Event
1d 4h
FEL
1d 9h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 10h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 12h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.