• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:31
CEST 00:31
KST 07:31
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon110
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8340 users

Who 'invented' APM - Page 10

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 8 9 10 11 12 16 Next All
Demand2k
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
Norway875 Posts
December 02 2010 09:18 GMT
#181
On December 02 2010 12:38 Dubz wrote:
if your going to warn/temp ban literally half the people who post in this topic you should probably just close the thread, as if the OP is gonna get any real concrete answer as to who "invented" apm?

User was temp banned for this post.


I think that has to be the worst post I've ever seen on these forums.
iPlaY.NettleS
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Australia4455 Posts
December 02 2010 09:30 GMT
#182
JCA was the first person that came to my mind.
Thankfully the whole APM craze has died down a little since those early days , occasional gimmick products excepted.People were just spamming useless clicks to get their APM up thinking that made them more like the korean pros.Whatever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7PvoI6gvQs
Acritter
Profile Joined August 2010
Syria7637 Posts
December 02 2010 09:30 GMT
#183
Congrats for inventing perhaps the most pervasively misguiding element of skill in Starcraft bar cutesy strategies, I guess... I just wish there was some way to measure USEFUL APM, so mid-level players would stop spamming and learn to play.

It is cool to see how important TL.net is, though. Whatever starts here ends up in the entire American Starcraft community at the very least, the most recent example being the 7 Roach Rush (posted on TL.net, created by a program posted on TL.net, if my sources are correct) which has been a little FotM rush for a while now.
+ Show Spoiler +
You could say we're the /b/ of Starcraft.
+ Show Spoiler +
Only good, of course.

dont let your memes be dreams - konydora, motivational speaker | not actually living in syria
HollowLord
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States3862 Posts
December 02 2010 09:33 GMT
#184
I used to follow BW pretty much religiously but since I didn't play it that much I never really read Team Liquid, I had no idea that it was Drone and Nazgul who first came up with APM.
dota 2 stream #noskill #feed #noob twitch.tv/dmcredgrave
integral
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States3161 Posts
December 02 2010 09:34 GMT
#185
Amazing thread so far. I <3 bwchart and still use it every time I play broodwar. Amongst TL members we manage to have a pretty awesome group here -- all the streamers, quality posters, translators, moderators, the players, the fans, and even the noobs who don't have any idea how to read a thread, you guys make this a place worth returning to day in and day out.

Cheers TL!
Koshi
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Belgium38799 Posts
December 02 2010 09:48 GMT
#186
On December 02 2010 11:38 Slow Motion wrote:
It's like a reading comprehension question.

The OP's description on the Razer mouse is:

A) The main topic of the thread.
B) A humorous anecdote.
C) An allusion to T.S. Elliot's The Waste Land.
D) An introduction to his main point.


Just pointing out that the easiest/first question in "who wants to be a millionaire" is never D.

Wow, I would never have imagined that TL or somebody on TL would be the inventor of apm charts. That is pretty mind blowing. I wonder how many people actually knew this.
I had a good night of sleep.
Ation
Profile Joined July 2008
Finland102 Posts
December 02 2010 09:53 GMT
#187


I think TL.net has been and still is a great learning resource for Starcraft and thus, for every RTS ever made. Personally, I wasn't "among the first" in here, but I've been looking around for over 5 years and it has been an honor. BWChart really made me learn a lot of fast mentality and pushed me to go to my limits more - I wanted to play faster than my friends, even if it just meant numbers at that time. But when game knowledge and decision making eventually meet the available APM, that's when you see some serious gaming.

Good going mates
Shikyo
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Finland33997 Posts
December 02 2010 10:06 GMT
#188
Aah, my posting has been so bad lately but the first few pages of this thread make me feel slightly better. =P

I absolutely loved BWChart, I remember when I first had only 40 apm and then checked my APM after every game until I finally hit my record of about 250 apm. I wasn't around back then, but I'm sure that the realization of APM had an effect on quite a few people. I really appreciate what you've done for the community, BWChart was something I used daily back when I played SCBW. I guess it must feel great to have Blizzard include an APM feature in their replays(despite it being wrong) since you've pretty much developed them.

I really wish I could find out my EAPM in SC2 as well, though... I don't think there's a reliable way yet. By the way, I believe that the original concept of EAPM was developed by some russian program called Repinfo, but I really am not sure and apologize if I'm incorrect.
League of Legends EU West, Platinum III | Yousei Teikoku is the best thing that has ever happened to music.
legendre20
Profile Joined November 2010
United States316 Posts
December 02 2010 10:08 GMT
#189
I'm not sure you can give TL credit for Blizzard implementing APM into SC2.. that seems a little far fetched. APM has become such a common term used in SC that it would've been stupid of them to not add an APM function into the game, but it is definitely fair to say that TL has had a huge impact on the game itself, seeing as it's the largest NA community.

People do seem to take way too much consideration into APM. I know several 2600+ diamonds with APM between 80-110, and it seems a lot of people with high APM only spam. It's not as essential in SC2 as it was in SC1. Also, I know that previous posters have been warned for saying this, but seriously, that razer gear is fucking retarded. Not only is it pricey, but it'd be extremely annoying to have your headset and mouse constantly lighting up if you have "fast" apm..

But yeah, Liquid fighting!!
"Sen, lings are OP" - HelloKittySS /// <3 http://www.twitch.tv/legendre20 <3
Telcontar
Profile Joined May 2010
United Kingdom16710 Posts
December 02 2010 10:11 GMT
#190
I'm actually very shocked that so many people here can't even comprehend such a short OP.

Anyways i didn't know what the history of APM was and how it was birthed so thanks for the insight! I hope TL and all the other communities continue to have an important role in the development of esports all across the globe.
Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta.
wishbones
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
Canada2600 Posts
December 02 2010 10:14 GMT
#191
lol i love how the red trails off eventually by this page of the thread, or last. lets check ten, but i am pretty sure everyone caught on. haha. still funny nonetheless. well page ten has a quoted temp ban, so yeah. gnite all!
joined TL.net in 2006 (aka GMer) - http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=41944#2
radiaL
Profile Joined August 2003
Andorra2690 Posts
December 02 2010 10:15 GMT
#192
On December 02 2010 14:32 CuteSmallHydra wrote:
And this was looooong before YouTube - in truth, RWA was pretty much the start of English casting (c'mon, nobody took Korn's WCG casts seriously), and the first time many of us heard Manifesto's manly voice.



omg wow i completely forgot that mani was my fav fav caster
holy crap it's been years, i'm old



also lol @ korn haha
sideproject: twitch.tv Starcraft II Viewers data - http://twitchsc2data.com/
Generic SC
Profile Joined May 2010
New Zealand179 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-02 10:41:42
December 02 2010 10:41 GMT
#193
Funny thread.

Some important lessons to be learned here:
1- Lurk more
2- The Terminology "APM" originated from TL.net
3- JCA is a legend. OP is in fact JCA
4- Tl.net has a lot of strongly opinionated people who are often times wrong. Case in point: This thread and most of the Sc2 strategy section.
nepitolko
Profile Joined April 2010
Slovakia32 Posts
December 02 2010 10:43 GMT
#194
I am new to TL comunity and newer thought that TL and a individual member(JCA) had so huge impact on the BW scene.

Every new player know what apm is and nobody is thinking that it was something needed to be invented...


Nice topik and interesting reading in the links.
Its good to know how it all started.
Silentness
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States2821 Posts
December 02 2010 10:44 GMT
#195
Wow I seriously thought APM was just naturally perceived, but to come to this thread and find out that JCA helped create it is amazing.

SC2 is kind of depressing for me. I don't feel the APM rush I get when I played Terran for Brood War. The adrenaline rush of mashing hotkeys, pumping marines constantly from barracks with (NO reactors), microing your marines from defilers/lurkers etc.

Hell I even thought about APM away from Brood War. I would use "APM" to multitask in my daily routines. Like as I'm waiting for my computer to load... I'm folding clothes or something else. Yeah I know I'm taking it too far, but APM was my life back in the day. Thanks JCA and all the others that helped create such a wonderful acronym.
GL HF... YOLO..lololollol.
Paradice
Profile Joined October 2010
New Zealand431 Posts
December 02 2010 10:44 GMT
#196
It is pretty cool finding out that what seems (to someone just joining the scene with SC2) to be just another ubiquitous measure was actually invented specifically, here... nice!

Now, imagine.... five years from now, when SC2 is as old as BW was when this stuff came out.... howzabout this... what if someone comes up with a "combat simulation" model than can read the local terrain and unit composition from each battle in a replay file, apply the same movement/meta-priority/targeting that the game would have applied if everyone was "1-A"'ing, and then measure players based on how much more combat effectiveness they got out of their units by micro'ing them. Sort of 'effective' APM in the truest sense of the word...

What would be interesting about this hypothetical measure is it would be a zero-sum between the two players, as with both micro'ing they're actively reducing the effectiveness of the other.
LunarC
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States1186 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-02 11:39:27
December 02 2010 11:37 GMT
#197
On December 02 2010 13:03 Ftrunkz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 02 2010 12:38 Dubz wrote:
if your going to warn/temp ban literally half the people who post in this topic you should probably just close the thread, as if the OP is gonna get any real concrete answer as to who "invented" apm?

User was temp banned for this post.

Oh my god this has to be the best post of the whole thread so far!

On December 02 2010 18:18 Demand2k wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 02 2010 12:38 Dubz wrote:
if your going to warn/temp ban literally half the people who post in this topic you should probably just close the thread, as if the OP is gonna get any real concrete answer as to who "invented" apm?

User was temp banned for this post.


I think that has to be the worst post I've ever seen on these forums.

So, which is it? XD

APM is surely impressive, but if you use bwrepinfo you can see EAPM, which is basically APM with most of the spam and repetitive commands removed. It's ridiculous when you realize how fast professional players are, but then it's even more ridiculous when their EAPM shows how many of their actions are actions of CONSEQUENCE.
REEBUH!!!
preacha
Profile Joined January 2010
Norway210 Posts
December 02 2010 12:10 GMT
#198
thx, jca!

tl FTW!
dont pet a burning dog
MindRush
Profile Joined April 2010
Romania916 Posts
December 02 2010 12:27 GMT
#199
On December 02 2010 12:43 Serejai wrote:
Bookmarking this thread because I'm 99.9% positive that if I come back here in a year the entire first two pages will be nuke icons.

Amazing how much influence something seemingly small can have in the gaming community, huh? Cheers to TL and JCA for paving the way!


DONE

i am also sending this to my non-starcraft-playing friends, the way you send a cool video on youtube or something. EPIC POST !
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
cascades
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Singapore6122 Posts
December 02 2010 12:41 GMT
#200
On December 02 2010 19:08 Monkies wrote:
I'm not sure you can give TL credit for Blizzard implementing APM into SC2.. that seems a little far fetched. APM has become such a common term used in SC that it would've been stupid of them to not add an APM function into the game, but it is definitely fair to say that TL has had a huge impact on the game itself, seeing as it's the largest NA community.

People do seem to take way too much consideration into APM. I know several 2600+ diamonds with APM between 80-110, and it seems a lot of people with high APM only spam. It's not as essential in SC2 as it was in SC1. Also, I know that previous posters have been warned for saying this, but seriously, that razer gear is fucking retarded. Not only is it pricey, but it'd be extremely annoying to have your headset and mouse constantly lighting up if you have "fast" apm..

But yeah, Liquid fighting!!


Way to miss the point of the red warnings and the mod edit, which is TL (and more specifically JCA) invented APM itself. I love how this thread catches all these posters who don't read at all. No a forum is not a place for you to shit out your opinion.
HS: cascades#1595 || LoL: stoppin
Prev 1 8 9 10 11 12 16 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 29m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SpeCial 126
ViBE71
CosmosSc2 0
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 592
Artosis 339
910 34
Dota 2
monkeys_forever500
League of Legends
JimRising 474
Counter-Strike
minikerr12
Super Smash Bros
ArmadaUGS103
PPMD48
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5562
Liquid`Hasu1457
Other Games
summit1g8029
shahzam548
byalli379
C9.Mang0219
Trikslyr41
ZombieGrub9
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream170
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 108
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki41
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
1h 29m
Kung Fu Cup
12h 29m
Stellar Fest
14h 29m
The PondCast
1d 11h
OSC
1d 14h
Stellar Fest
1d 14h
OSC
2 days
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
[ Show More ]
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.