• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:38
CEST 18:38
KST 01:38
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon108
StarCraft 2
General
Updated Continental Flags System & New Global Flag StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BW General Discussion Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10234 users

Who 'invented' APM - Page 12

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 14 16 Next All
Excalibur_Z
Profile Joined October 2002
United States12256 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-02 16:11:58
December 02 2010 16:04 GMT
#221
On December 03 2010 00:50 Liquid`Drone wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 02 2010 11:55 UniversalSnip wrote:
So... this is going straight into the thread hall of fame, right? I've never seen such an epic honeytrap.

On topic: who invented superview? What exactly was the program used for, besides measuring something that hadn't been exactly invented yet?


superview was originally created by some guy from the nohunters community named WilliamWC3. he used to write battlereports and was a cool figure. now, superview originally didn't leave that community and got pretty much no attention at first, it was just a program that let you examine replays from a "programmer" point of view. I think the correct term used was "decompressing" a replay or whatever. using it was very tedious and well, I just downloaded it again to see if I could make sense of it now, but I couldn't.

here's a screenshot of how it worked:
http://www.teamliquid.net/staff/LiquidDrone/superview.jpg (that's only one point of view, you can look at it in binary or examine the raw data and look at it uncompressed etc.. doesn't really make sense to me because I'm not very computer savvy. )

superview was created in like 2002 or something, so well more than a year before it was released on tl.net, and originally it wasn't really used for anything useful. but then dudey (ilnp on these forums) decided to cheat by letting some korean guy play for him in a huge tournament, dudey was very slow and that korean was very fast, and superview was used to compare dudey's speed and clicking-patterns in that tournament with dudey's speed in regular games. I probably spent like 30 minutes comparing 4-5 replays like this, because I had to manually count actions. superview didn't have any "apm"-conversion and it wasn't built for that purpose, but it was one of the possible ways it could be used.

and then it turned out that dudey had about twice or three times his regular amount of clicks in that tournament compared to other replays of him. after that I guess jca read about how superview was used/got hold of it and decided to turn it into something that was actually possible to use. :p


Oh hey good memory Eri, remember also how SuperView allowed you to extract the map from a replay file in case you didn't have it?

And lookathis guy HurtnTime over here! All those old schoolers are flooding back into this thread =)

EDIT: And of course I remember meeting you at WCG =p
Moderator
HurtnTime
Profile Joined September 2002
United States296 Posts
December 02 2010 16:07 GMT
#222
Oh I remember that Eri. Of course also Eri used to play under his GFs account and beat up on people in tourneys.
Single starport carrier rush. haha.
HurtnTime
Profile Joined September 2002
United States296 Posts
December 02 2010 16:08 GMT
#223
Hey Excal, I just started playing Sc2 recently so I've been trolling tl.net for a few weeks, just not posting. Reading, learning, watching streams. Long time I didnt play RTS.

We met at WCG 2004 in SF. Remember?
Akuemon
Profile Joined June 2010
Canada151 Posts
December 02 2010 16:15 GMT
#224
Wow another reason to love this site more than facebook.
ondik
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Czech Republic2908 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-02 16:17:34
December 02 2010 16:15 GMT
#225
On December 02 2010 23:35 jarek.exe wrote:
To be honest Im really disappointed by the approach of admins.

If Razor issue is completely meaningless, then why is it mentioned at the very beginning of the thread?

I've read and understood the whole topic. However, im not really interested in who invented APM. Does that mean I cannot make a comment about the hardware?

Silly.

Besides, amount of warnings/bans caused a lot of off-topic posts, which spoiled the discussion.
In my humble opinion it's the thread creater who is responsible for all the mess. He could have composed that much better.



What in the fuck seriously? You obviously DID NOT understand the topic and its purpose. JCA created one of the most useful (and used) BW program ever that changed the game, do you realize it?!

I went through first two pages and nerd raged. How can be the SC2 newcomers THAT stupid? It blows my mind that someone reads just first sentence and completely ignores the rest of the post. Oh, TL
Bisu. The one and only. // Save the cheerreaver, save the world (of SC2)
Liquid`Drone
Profile Joined September 2002
Norway28899 Posts
December 02 2010 16:21 GMT
#226
On December 03 2010 01:08 HurtnTime wrote:
Hey Excal, I just started playing Sc2 recently so I've been trolling tl.net for a few weeks, just not posting. Reading, learning, watching streams. Long time I didnt play RTS.

We met at WCG 2004 in SF. Remember?


I remember you! you bought me and some other fellows chinese food! :D
2004 was a blast
Moderator
ZenDeX
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
Philippines2916 Posts
December 02 2010 16:24 GMT
#227
Props to JCA for not filing a lawsuit against Blizzard/Razer for any IP rights concerning APM.

Props to JCA for this whole revolutionary concept :D
rozina
Profile Joined September 2010
Slovenia72 Posts
December 02 2010 16:26 GMT
#228
Shouldn't this be a blog? I dont get the OP. Its just a statement who invented APM. What is there to discuss? Would be less warnings if it was a blog imo
Zergs are fun!
StarStruck
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
25339 Posts
December 02 2010 16:27 GMT
#229
On December 03 2010 01:01 Ksyper wrote:
It's cool and all, but I don't see my mouse or my keyboard while I play.
Maybe if you're in a dark room the light might even distract you from the game.
But if I had enough money I would buy the mouse it looks awesome, and I'm sure it handles pretty good.



Of course, right after my post we get this. :/

Why?

JCA much <3 for your contributions.
CidO
Profile Joined June 2010
United States695 Posts
December 02 2010 16:33 GMT
#230
Wow that is huge, it pretty much changed how some parts of pc based esports are viewed and ultimately the products to come out and measure it.

Yay TL.
:P
mcneebs
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Canada391 Posts
December 02 2010 16:34 GMT
#231
Wow reading the first 5 pages of this thread has basically summarized how I feel about the degradation of the SC2 community on TL. A complete lack of comprehension and respect to the people who have done great things for the game, and a general "know it all attitude" that is currently ruining the forum. I applaud the moderators actions, and I really wish that things were even more strict around here. It's a shame that it has to be this way, but I guess this is what happens with the overwhelming influx of new users.

Thanks JCA for filling me in on an awesome fact!

You do it to yourself. Just you. You and no one else.
JustPlay
Profile Joined September 2010
United States211 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-02 16:43:54
December 02 2010 16:40 GMT
#232
APM was around in 2001-2002. It was definitely even around in 1999/2000, although perhaps not by that name. It's a natural metric for how fast a player is playing and the concept even existed in the Age of Empires community. It wasn't given an explicit name until the SC / SC:BW programs that called it that. People also didn't think of using replays or real time programs to check it. It was definitely a more abstract concept.
On December 03 2010 01:34 mcneebs wrote:
Wow reading the first 5 pages of this thread has basically summarized how I feel about the degradation of the SC2 community on TL. A complete lack of comprehension and respect to the people who have done great things for the game, and a general "know it all attitude" that is currently ruining the forum. I applaud the moderators actions, and I really wish that things were even more strict around here. It's a shame that it has to be this way, but I guess this is what happens with the overwhelming influx of new users.

Thanks JCA for filling me in on an awesome fact!

The title of this thread was different before and it was completely focused on the keyboard. There was no way at all to know it was about "the invention of APM" except for two trailing sentences at the end. The title was literally about the keyboard, and most of the original post was about it as well with a minor fill-in of where APM came from at the end.

It was later edited to not appear this way because a moderator didn't interpret it as the rest of the community did. After the title change and warnings/bans people started posting about the new topic. I assume JCA meant to make it about the new topic instead of the keyboard, but he didn't originally make it that way.
HurtnTime
Profile Joined September 2002
United States296 Posts
December 02 2010 16:45 GMT
#233
Yeah it was great meeting you Eri and so many others. Were you there when day9 put a hot pepper in his mouth and he shriveled up? Hillarious.

I have a picture somewhere of that.
skipgamer
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Australia701 Posts
December 02 2010 16:49 GMT
#234
New here, can't chime in on the whole nostalgia thing... Kind of makes me jealous But good on you TL! Having a drink in your name right now

You guys are a truly amazing community, hopefully one day I can look back on these days, and how much of a noob I am, and smile/laugh... I used BWchart to try to get better at BW back when I would play with my brother, and he would smoke me Every Single Game... And then there was that program that would overlay on the screen your current APM? I have no idea what program was but I used to swear by it haha. Took my laptop to school and played some bw against bots and had that rocking up near 100 (lol) and people thought I was gosu (not that I knew that term existed, but looking back it fits)...

I never knew it was all thanks to you guys and this amazing community

Thank you all so much, and I hope, one day, I can be a part of it!
mOnion
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States5660 Posts
December 02 2010 16:51 GMT
#235
this thread is amazing

i love seeing threads from 2003, its like a museum o.o

never seen you post before jca, nice to meet you
☆★☆ 7486!!! Join the Ban mOnion Anti-Trolling Initiative! - Caller | "on a scale of machine to 10, how bad is that Zerg?" - LZgamer | you are the new tl.net bonjwa monion, congrats - Rekrul | "Cheeseburgers dynamite lilacs" - Chill
HurtnTime
Profile Joined September 2002
United States296 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-02 16:54:16
December 02 2010 16:52 GMT
#236
Look at these two sexy beasts in 2004.

[image loading]

Oh man that is a spicey meatball!

[image loading]
Liquid`Drone
Profile Joined September 2002
Norway28899 Posts
December 02 2010 16:55 GMT
#237
and victors expression has not changed since
Moderator
StarStruck
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
25339 Posts
December 02 2010 16:57 GMT
#238
It's funny because it's true too.
Uhh Negative
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1090 Posts
December 02 2010 17:01 GMT
#239
Wow I remember being an absolute noob in bw and hearing about bwchart and downloading it to check my awesome 60APM. Little did I know that later on I would become more involved in the starcraft community once starcraft 2 came out and find that it was actually someone on TL that "invented" APM and bw chart. I kind of just always assumed that APM was something that was kind of always looked at. I thought that maybe it was measured in other RTS games before starcraft.

In other news, this thread has also provided me many laughs. I think it's especially funny when people say, "Oh I don't want to be banned like everyone else....... so about those Razer products...."
Antoine
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States7481 Posts
December 02 2010 17:04 GMT
#240
hahahha that's the best picture of Sean i've ever seen!
it really is cool how a community term can spread to be so ubiquitous. you are a true baller, jca.
ModeratorFlash Sea Action Snow Midas | TheStC Ret Tyler MC | RIP 우정호
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 14 16 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 22m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Codebar 38
StarCraft: Brood War
EffOrt 1156
Shuttle 1002
Mini 812
Soma 626
actioN 474
Rush 378
Light 346
Larva 314
BeSt 235
Stork 217
[ Show more ]
Snow 161
hero 135
firebathero 117
Aegong 70
Zeus 65
Barracks 64
Liquid`Ret 58
Sexy 31
Shinee 28
Shine 28
JYJ 27
soO 26
ToSsGirL 23
Bale 22
Trap 17
sorry 16
zelot 14
Terrorterran 13
Rock 12
Sacsri 7
Dewaltoss 0
Dota 2
Gorgc7929
qojqva2376
Dendi900
420jenkins161
Counter-Strike
fl0m1243
Fnx 766
x6flipin625
pashabiceps514
ceh9379
edward59
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes5742
Grubby2738
Liquid`Hasu65
Other Games
singsing1488
byalli469
B2W.Neo358
Beastyqt346
Khaldor220
DeMusliM163
Liquid`VortiX156
ArmadaUGS144
KnowMe132
Trikslyr59
BRAT_OK 57
TKL 43
C9.Mang038
Railgan3
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV276
BasetradeTV215
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream158
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH275
• StrangeGG 66
• mYiSmile128
• Reevou 4
• Migwel
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix9
• blackmanpl 7
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV417
League of Legends
• Nemesis2626
• TFBlade758
Other Games
• Shiphtur268
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
7h 22m
Kung Fu Cup
18h 22m
The PondCast
1d 17h
OSC
1d 20h
OSC
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.