• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:41
CEST 20:41
KST 03:41
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon109
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Updated Continental Flags System & New Global Flag Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8555 users

Who 'invented' APM - Page 11

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 9 10 11 12 13 16 Next All
Liquid`Nazgul
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
22427 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-02 12:57:33
December 02 2010 12:56 GMT
#201
Was so good working with you in those days JCA. Pancakes in Paris were good too. Giving you a star now since we didn't have those back then.
Administrator
SavageReborn
Profile Joined September 2010
Australia106 Posts
December 02 2010 13:05 GMT
#202
Wow, I'm new to starcraft e-sports, but I never knew that it was someone on TL that invented apm (with his program) to you, and also this thread.

You can live happy, knowing that you changed the world of starcraft
Savage1 on irc.rizon.net || UWA Anime Club: www.uwanime.org
Wonderballs
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada253 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-02 13:16:05
December 02 2010 13:12 GMT
#203
We not only gave our baby a name; we invented babies.

Props for the game-changing program... But I just had to say something witty about the terminology used in the title.
I thought Jesus would come back before Starcraft 2.
Laforge
Profile Joined February 2010
Denmark33 Posts
December 02 2010 13:16 GMT
#204
I dont understand all the warnings.

Normally TL warnings makes perfect sense but can the staff please explain why there are this many warnings???

Starcraft and Star Trek
LegendaryZ
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1583 Posts
December 02 2010 13:23 GMT
#205
On December 02 2010 22:16 Laforge wrote:
I dont understand all the warnings.

Normally TL warnings makes perfect sense but can the staff please explain why there are this many warnings???



The explanation for the warnings is pretty much given in the Mod Edit within the OP. People failed to read the OP and proceeded to turn the thread into a cesspool of Razor product reviews.
neobowman
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada3324 Posts
December 02 2010 13:24 GMT
#206
I find the amount of red text in this thread hilarious.

And to save myself fromt he same fate: I'm pretty sure TL's invented lots of stuff other than APM. It's done a lot for the gaming community in general as far as I know.
LittLeD
Profile Joined May 2010
Sweden7973 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-02 13:27:23
December 02 2010 13:26 GMT
#207
Jca <3 Excellent program!

I just have one small question. Wasnt the term "APM" also used in the competetive War2 scene? Of course I was all too young back then but I have a very brief memory of reading it somewhere. Anyway, BWchart has been one of the most awesome and influential programs to the brood war scene. Keep it up
☆Grubby ☆| Tod|DeMusliM|ThorZaiN|SaSe|Moon|Mana| ☆HerO ☆
Sad[Panda]
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States458 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-02 13:44:35
December 02 2010 13:44 GMT
#208
im really surprised people didn't learn their lesson... Maybe threads like this are a good thing lol

on that note Razer lightup tech- jk yo!~

I (just like many others) have used the living crap out of BWchart and never once thought about how the term was coined because it was just so natural and common by that time. Its actually really nice to learn the history behind these sort of things and to know how big something so small has gotten. Also I thank you so much JCA for writing such a staple program for the BW community ^^;
( O.O) ("\(t.t )/") ~ I'm just looking for someone to hug
Starparty
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
Sweden1963 Posts
December 02 2010 13:52 GMT
#209
I think its fantastic when you read all those old comments from when people started debating APM. "Just because he has 300 and i have 100 doesnt mean he is better at all" seemed to be a common argument. Well there is some truth in that, but i dont hink alot of people would argue against the fact that the 300 apm player is more likelly to win today

It has been like that everytime something new was discovered or highlighted. Remember the "gas issue" on the brood war maps? Everyone laughed it off - like as if a 400 gas difference after 4 minutes somehow wouldnt affect balance. Check every single korean pro bw map today, they have all assimilated the research we made of it here and they all use it now.

The same thing will probably happen with the sc2 balance everyone seems to be so hot about right now. Someone will find a sollution and suddenly the balance paradigm will swich
The artist formerly known as Starparty
GGTeMpLaR
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States7226 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-02 13:57:13
December 02 2010 13:56 GMT
#210
man those first few pages of warnings/bans just made my morning rofl

but ya it's kinda insane to think that several years ago the concept of APM in gaming didn't even exist, props to TL changing gaming forever =D
stenole
Profile Blog Joined April 2004
Norway869 Posts
December 02 2010 14:10 GMT
#211
BWChart helped me realize there were large portions of the game I wasn't doing anything. It was also interesting to see how fast I was playing in general and the increased APM over time. It was also funny to see how games would start off with 500 apm before settling down around 100.

JCA is one of the heroes of starcraft.
canSore
Profile Joined November 2010
132 Posts
December 02 2010 14:12 GMT
#212
I've never seen so many people warned in all my life. I hope I don't get warned.
bad with girls, good with zerg
XsebT
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Denmark2980 Posts
December 02 2010 14:29 GMT
#213
[image loading]

Badassly, sickoly, ballerly, andothermadeupwordly awesome people.
화이팅
jarek.exe
Profile Joined April 2010
Poland60 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-02 14:38:40
December 02 2010 14:35 GMT
#214
To be honest Im really disappointed by the approach of admins.

If Razor issue is completely meaningless, then why is it mentioned at the very beginning of the thread?

I've read and understood the whole topic. However, im not really interested in who invented APM. Does that mean I cannot make a comment about the hardware?

Silly.

Besides, amount of warnings/bans caused a lot of off-topic posts, which spoiled the discussion.
In my humble opinion it's the thread creater who is responsible for all the mess. He could have composed that much better.

HurtnTime
Profile Joined September 2002
United States296 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-02 14:57:52
December 02 2010 14:50 GMT
#215
BWChart was really awesome for several reasons. As mentioned, one of the main reasons was to try to find hackers (clicking on things under fog of war) and to see stats but features kept being added. As an SWD engineer I was always impressed with JCA's coding APMs, being self employed he really dedicated himself to the gaming community for quite some time. He had a full featured stats and graphics library he built for source code analyzing tool that allowed him to add features like crazy to BWChart at an extremely fast pace.

I remember when I had a problem in some area of my BW game, I'd search for the matchup and specific players, double-click and watch the replay.

BWSentinel was my favorite though, it allowed to have tourneys without cheats. Soon after BWSentinel, irrc, it was common for launchers to be used that allowed cheat detection. Another major impact.

/bow JCA
Mooncat
Profile Joined October 2007
Germany1228 Posts
December 02 2010 15:23 GMT
#216
On December 02 2010 22:16 Laforge wrote:
I dont understand all the warnings.

Normally TL warnings makes perfect sense but can the staff please explain why there are this many warnings???



Here's some good advice. If you're not just trolling/looking to get banned, you should read the whole thread before posting stuff like this. Because that's the exact reason why people are being warned and/or banned. They didn't read the thread, didn't check the links and instead started spamming shit about how useless and gay Razer's APM features are.
"[Lee Young Ho] With this victory, you’ve risen to Bonjwa status."
iNfeRnaL *
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
Germany1908 Posts
December 02 2010 15:42 GMT
#217
On December 02 2010 23:29 XsebT wrote:
[image loading]

Badassly, sickoly, ballerly, andothermadeupwordly awesome people.

/\
QFT!!

Btw: Hilarious ban spree here... xDD
And obviously it's a fake JCA, that's why he's got a star eh...?!
*d'oh*
Liquid`Drone
Profile Joined September 2002
Norway28899 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-02 15:55:40
December 02 2010 15:50 GMT
#218
On December 02 2010 11:55 UniversalSnip wrote:
So... this is going straight into the thread hall of fame, right? I've never seen such an epic honeytrap.

On topic: who invented superview? What exactly was the program used for, besides measuring something that hadn't been exactly invented yet?


superview was originally created by some guy from the nohunters community named WilliamWC3. he used to write battlereports and was a cool figure. now, superview originally didn't leave that community and got pretty much no attention at first, it was just a program that let you examine replays from a "programmer" point of view. I think the correct term used was "decompressing" a replay or whatever. using it was very tedious and well, I just downloaded it again to see if I could make sense of it now, but I couldn't.

here's a screenshot of how it worked:
http://www.teamliquid.net/staff/LiquidDrone/superview.jpg (that's only one point of view, you can look at it in binary or examine the raw data and look at it uncompressed etc.. doesn't really make sense to me because I'm not very computer savvy. )

superview was created in like 2002 or something, so well more than a year before it was released on tl.net, and originally it wasn't really used for anything useful. but then dudey (ilnp on these forums) decided to cheat by letting some korean guy play for him in a huge tournament, dudey was very slow and that korean was very fast, and superview was used to compare dudey's speed and clicking-patterns in that tournament with dudey's speed in regular games. I probably spent like 30 minutes comparing 4-5 replays like this, because I had to manually count actions. superview didn't have any "apm"-conversion and it wasn't built for that purpose, but it was one of the possible ways it could be used.

and then it turned out that dudey had about twice or three times his regular amount of clicks in that tournament compared to other replays of him. after that I guess jca read about how superview was used/got hold of it and decided to turn it into something that was actually possible to use. :p
Moderator
StarStruck
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
25339 Posts
December 02 2010 15:57 GMT
#219
How can so many people fail at reading comprehension. Less SC for you; more school. :/
Ksyper
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Bulgaria665 Posts
December 02 2010 16:01 GMT
#220
It's cool and all, but I don't see my mouse or my keyboard while I play.
Maybe if you're in a dark room the light might even distract you from the game.
But if I had enough money I would buy the mouse it looks awesome, and I'm sure it handles pretty good.

User was temp banned for this post.
Prev 1 9 10 11 12 13 16 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 19m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 532
UpATreeSC 95
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 1019
Dewaltoss 120
firebathero 92
Zeus 64
Trap 49
Sexy 30
soO 25
zelot 24
Bale 20
JYJ 20
[ Show more ]
ToSsGirL 19
NaDa 17
Shine 16
910 13
Dota 2
Gorgc6963
qojqva1971
Dendi849
420jenkins177
Counter-Strike
pashabiceps1328
Fnx 720
edward31
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes5493
Liquid`Hasu1185
Other Games
Grubby3960
summit1g2637
Beastyqt734
B2W.Neo589
ceh9412
byalli380
KnowMe160
C9.Mang0156
ArmadaUGS150
TKL 129
BRAT_OK 78
Railgan11
Chillindude6
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV265
BasetradeTV222
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream141
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Reevou 8
• Adnapsc2 6
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 32
• Azhi_Dahaki21
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3322
Other Games
• Shiphtur380
• WagamamaTV295
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
5h 19m
Kung Fu Cup
16h 19m
Stellar Fest
18h 19m
The PondCast
1d 15h
OSC
1d 18h
OSC
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.