• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:56
CEST 14:56
KST 21:56
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20264Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9582 users

The 100 Four Gate Challenge - Page 14

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 12 13 14 15 16 29 Next All
tetramaster
Profile Joined July 2010
Canada253 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-25 22:24:40
November 25 2010 22:23 GMT
#261
On November 26 2010 07:13 Metalwing wrote:
I just fail at counting the number of (P)LowestSkillS-ClassPlayerPrime wannabees in this thread. This is the protoss equivalent of 6 pooling next 100 people who comes across you on the ladder. It helps nothing except mastering on 4 warpgate build.


Your hate is unwarranted.

It gets you to think about the following

-Warp gate cooldown
-Keeping your supply in check and not supply blocking your next warp in
-Micro (*)
-Decision making (*)

Not every game needs to be 20+ minutes long. (And the opposite is true as well, not every game should end before the 10 minute mark. However, people will do what works, and clearly, 4-gate sill works as people still have trouble holding it off.)

*Note, micro, and decision making, does matter to some extent. Deciding what to attack to force your opponent to come to YOU, or chasing down your opponent and not running into a bad situation (forcefielding half your army behind a ramp) is crucial when facing higher level opponents.

IF you have little trouble holding 4-gates, then consider anyone that does it free wins. Otherwise, consider it a lesson in holding off early pressure and scouting your damn opponent. It isn't hard to spot, it isn't too hard to stop unless you are a WORSE PLAYER than the person 4-gating you.
FliedLice
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Germany7494 Posts
November 25 2010 22:35 GMT
#262
On November 26 2010 07:22 Patriot.dlk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 26 2010 07:13 Metalwing wrote:
I just fail at counting the number of (P)LowestSkillS-ClassPlayerPrime wannabees in this thread. This is the protoss equivalent of 6 pooling next 100 people who comes across you on the ladder. It helps nothing except mastering on 4 warpgate build.


Why would you post this? A lot of good good posts defended this challenge with structured arguments that you just ignored.

As many others have said it's a great way to practice. You will use gateway units in combat over and over while you have to macro out new ones... Useful skill to have indeed.


He's probably butthurt because he gets owned by 4gates on ladder all the time


seems like a fun little thing to do, though 100games might be a bit extreme imho
Kevmeister @ Dota2
Entertaining
Profile Joined September 2007
Canada793 Posts
November 25 2010 22:42 GMT
#263
I actually do look back at games and say wow i was a dick that game. i shouldnt be stoving noobs on bnet east or aiyumi builds vs D level iccup zergs. not kool entertaining not kool.
mvpAKAenvyME
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada179 Posts
November 25 2010 23:36 GMT
#264
On November 25 2010 16:42 haegN wrote:
No, mvp, could you provide replay/VOD?

I dont feel like finding the link, but its one of the day 9 funday monday videos where some counters a walled in 4 gate push with no queens and PURE 1/1 roaches, its badass. he rick rolled the guy with some good micro
Phaded
Profile Joined August 2010
Australia579 Posts
November 25 2010 23:55 GMT
#265
On November 26 2010 08:36 mvpAKAenvyME wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 25 2010 16:42 haegN wrote:
No, mvp, could you provide replay/VOD?

I dont feel like finding the link, but its one of the day 9 funday monday videos where some counters a walled in 4 gate push with no queens and PURE 1/1 roaches, its badass. he rick rolled the guy with some good micro

http://day9tv.blip.tv/file/4149200/

It's the first game, so about 1-2 minutes in if you really want to skip the intro
I am down but I am far from over
Fitzhunt1
Profile Joined February 2010
United States169 Posts
November 26 2010 00:07 GMT
#266
So I guess I should seven pool everygame? I mean like you said if i win I must have out played them? No sir. This is weak play that normaly takes out newer players and good players that take make hat one misstake and is used for a easy win (99.9 percent of the time).
Blizzcon exclusive no donuts.
NoMicro
Profile Joined June 2010
Canada69 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-26 01:05:51
November 26 2010 00:11 GMT
#267
Here are my first twenty 4 gates.
http://www.mediafire.com/?qt7bf7eqm0i39dm

I think I'm around 50/50 doing it, but noticeable improvements in control, and a much better understanding of unit composition early game.
.
nOIZEbuddha
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
164 Posts
November 26 2010 00:18 GMT
#268
I don't have SC2, but if I did I would probably do this. I think this is actually important for development in styles. There have always been styles that's just own you. Back in the day on PGtour(or early iCCup) I(and pretty much every protoss) owned every zerg with fast expand into zealot with legspeed. Many people were pissed off by this, but then a pro(don't remember who now) came up with this fast muta style that just owned the zealots(obviously). Because of this, protoss players had to do something new, which was fast corsair into 2gate reaver(or something like that). My point is: there will always be hard strategies, and we just have to adapt and learn. As I said, I don't have SC2 myself, and don't know much about it, but if more protoss players do this on ladder zergs and terrans will be able to find a way around it, eventually
I spoke to Flash's doctor, and apparently he got turrets syndrome
Trigramatic
Profile Joined October 2010
United States23 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-26 03:34:04
November 26 2010 03:30 GMT
#269
I'm a Zerg that encountered my first 4gate an hour ago. I'm still bronze, but I've been fighting silvers or golds, and this guy was gold. I won after a rough transition out of 7 roach rush. I think he may have left me alone too long after he found out I had spines and a small roach army waiting for him. When he encountered me at my base, he might have been able to win regardless.

Here's the replay. I know I haven't got the best sense of mechanics yet, but I'm certainly optimistic. Still, I'm thinking his was a not so well done 4-gate.

+ Show Spoiler +
Yeah, I'm basically 7 roach rushing my games until I level out somewhere. :3c
Oh dear.
yandere991
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Australia394 Posts
November 26 2010 04:00 GMT
#270
I don't know why most people still think protoss is alone with the "highly effective yet easy to pull off" build. When off racing as terran in custom games despite not knowing a clear build order I can beat protoss at 1700 rating (a bit above my level) by only knowing that 2 reactor-ed raxxes with a scouting factory and 2 tech lab-ed starports will net me wins against protosses much much much better than me.
ReighT
Profile Joined July 2010
46 Posts
November 26 2010 05:27 GMT
#271
Next big challenge = the 100 6-8 pool challange for zerg?

I think the argument to justify that one would be saying that six pooling requires very superior micro, or something like that.
Pull
Profile Joined April 2010
United States308 Posts
November 26 2010 05:32 GMT
#272
On November 26 2010 07:35 FliedLice wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 26 2010 07:22 Patriot.dlk wrote:
On November 26 2010 07:13 Metalwing wrote:
I just fail at counting the number of (P)LowestSkillS-ClassPlayerPrime wannabees in this thread. This is the protoss equivalent of 6 pooling next 100 people who comes across you on the ladder. It helps nothing except mastering on 4 warpgate build.


Why would you post this? A lot of good good posts defended this challenge with structured arguments that you just ignored.

As many others have said it's a great way to practice. You will use gateway units in combat over and over while you have to macro out new ones... Useful skill to have indeed.


He's probably butthurt because he gets owned by 4gates on ladder all the time


seems like a fun little thing to do, though 100games might be a bit extreme imho



That's kinda the point of holding a contest
Co-Creator of the FRB Grand Tournament...Check out my epic commentaries at YouTube.com/pullsc and twitch.tv/pullsc ESPORTS FIGHTING!
haegN
Profile Joined July 2009
Norway547 Posts
November 26 2010 06:42 GMT
#273
On November 25 2010 17:13 Salivanth wrote:
Name/ID: Salivanth.254
Division: Silver
Points before "Hundred 4Gate Challenge": 1201 (557 bonus pool)
Final score: Unknown
Replay pack: Probably not for a couple of months if I stick with this, I don't play much.

This is a good challenge for me: Often I'll lose a game because I have no idea what build I'm gonna do when I enter the game and scramble for an idea. I've actually been like "Okay, so I might FE, oh, I just threw down a Gateway, guess I'll go robo this game", so this will allow me to focus.

100 straight games of 4-Gate should allow me to learn that build, then keep it in my toolbox, forever, even if I 4-gate 6 times a year afterwards.

Plus, once we've done that we'll move on to the 100 Slightly-More-Macro-Based-Build Challenge (I'm thinking some sort of Robo build)

P.S: In the build I use, I cut probes at 30, and get 3 waves of units on top of my initial gateway units, attacking with 7 Zealots, 6 Stalkers, and 2 Sentries (60 food, so fairly late).


I don't think this is the way to go. Attack after second wave of units, and cut probes at around 20 and you'll get out of silver in no time.

Why not copy superior players instead of trying to create your own build? Not to be elitist or anything like that, but I think you should start creating your own builds when you get a little better at the game

GL in the challenge
None can give you skills, ubermicro, wins or anything. If you are man - you take it!
-Strider-
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Mexico1605 Posts
November 26 2010 07:42 GMT
#274
Name/ID: Strider.264
Division: Diamond
Points before "Hundred 4Gate Challenge": 1140 (700 Bonus pool)
Final score: TBA

Reserved for my results
What is up? IM NESTEAAAA!
melquiades
Profile Joined August 2010
New Zealand12 Posts
November 26 2010 08:47 GMT
#275
Fuck this challenge. I am sick unto death of facing the endless stream of dicks who can do nothing but 4-gate. And now this! Encouraging them! It doesn't matter that it's easy to brush off, it's just so fucking boring to see it time and time again, and as a Protoss player I feel embarrassed/cheapened/dirty. I think I'll start my own personal challenge to BM every dick who 4-gates me, and in a unique and startling way with each incarnation.

I hope you all fail
Metalwing
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Turkey1038 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-26 09:53:03
November 26 2010 09:51 GMT
#276
On November 26 2010 07:23 tetramaster wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 26 2010 07:13 Metalwing wrote:
I just fail at counting the number of (P)LowestSkillS-ClassPlayerPrime wannabees in this thread. This is the protoss equivalent of 6 pooling next 100 people who comes across you on the ladder. It helps nothing except mastering on 4 warpgate build.


Your hate is unwarranted.

It gets you to think about the following

-Warp gate cooldown
-Keeping your supply in check and not supply blocking your next warp in
-Micro (*)
-Decision making (*)

Not every game needs to be 20+ minutes long. (And the opposite is true as well, not every game should end before the 10 minute mark. However, people will do what works, and clearly, 4-gate sill works as people still have trouble holding it off.)

*Note, micro, and decision making, does matter to some extent. Deciding what to attack to force your opponent to come to YOU, or chasing down your opponent and not running into a bad situation (forcefielding half your army behind a ramp) is crucial when facing higher level opponents.

IF you have little trouble holding 4-gates, then consider anyone that does it free wins. Otherwise, consider it a lesson in holding off early pressure and scouting your damn opponent. It isn't hard to spot, it isn't too hard to stop unless you are a WORSE PLAYER than the person 4-gating you.


Thanks dood but (even) I can hold a 4gate because I practiced it over&over again. Hatch first holds it quite effectively because most variations of 4gate never includes a forge.

But also note that all those things you mentioned are the things to be learned AFTER you learn macro imo and this is far from being educational until mid diamond (I don't know that but people say that a good macro will bring you up to mid diamond).

On November 26 2010 07:22 Patriot.dlk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 26 2010 07:13 Metalwing wrote:
I just fail at counting the number of (P)LowestSkillS-ClassPlayerPrime wannabees in this thread. This is the protoss equivalent of 6 pooling next 100 people who comes across you on the ladder. It helps nothing except mastering on 4 warpgate build.


Why would you post this? A lot of good good posts defended this challenge with structured arguments that you just ignored.

As many others have said it's a great way to practice. You will use gateway units in combat over and over while you have to macro out new ones... Useful skill to have indeed.


Macroing out of 1 base is child's play. Real macro comes in the game after 3rd base (which is the exact point that my macro starts slipping). And, like I said above, these skills are useful after mid diamond and will turn you into (P)LowestSkillS-ClassPlayerPrime-ish players (If that guy knows how to macro, so do I).

On November 26 2010 17:47 melquiades wrote:
Fuck this challenge. I am sick unto death of facing the endless stream of dicks who can do nothing but 4-gate. And now this! Encouraging them! It doesn't matter that it's easy to brush off, it's just so fucking boring to see it time and time again, and as a Protoss player I feel embarrassed/cheapened/dirty. I think I'll start my own personal challenge to BM every dick who 4-gates me, and in a unique and startling way with each incarnation.

I hope you all fail


I'm in with your challenge. But I have a clause: I won't insult my own practice partners.
#1 CheckPrime fan // Terrans gonna Terran
Tofugrinder
Profile Joined September 2010
Austria899 Posts
November 26 2010 11:05 GMT
#277
let people 4-gate if they want. Every race can pull something like 4 gate off. I personally wouldn't care about that, because 4 gate isn't that big of a deal to hold.

I 4-gated when 1 was bronce for like 10-15 games to try it out, but it became really boring, because it's every time the same. And I personally think that the learning effect for nearly everybody == zero (or to say it correctly: in 100 "normal" games anyone would learn MUCH more)
haegN
Profile Joined July 2009
Norway547 Posts
November 26 2010 11:31 GMT
#278
On November 26 2010 12:30 Trigramatic wrote:
I'm a Zerg that encountered my first 4gate an hour ago. I'm still bronze, but I've been fighting silvers or golds, and this guy was gold. I won after a rough transition out of 7 roach rush. I think he may have left me alone too long after he found out I had spines and a small roach army waiting for him. When he encountered me at my base, he might have been able to win regardless.

Here's the replay. I know I haven't got the best sense of mechanics yet, but I'm certainly optimistic. Still, I'm thinking his was a not so well done 4-gate.

+ Show Spoiler +
Yeah, I'm basically 7 roach rushing my games until I level out somewhere. :3c


I just watched the replay and this protoss did not know how to play at all, he pylon blocked himself, waaaay too late core etc.. He did not even manage to macro off of one base..

I dont have much comments for your play as I am protoss, but that was one horrible 4 gate...:D
None can give you skills, ubermicro, wins or anything. If you are man - you take it!
Ethic
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
Canada439 Posts
November 26 2010 11:33 GMT
#279
Last 100 times I got 4gated, the toss got handed a handfull of EMP and rape.

Good luck.
SC2 ID: Ethic.791 - 1v1 DIAMOND - SHILOH UPSILON
Drazzzt
Profile Joined September 2002
Germany999 Posts
November 26 2010 11:41 GMT
#280
On November 26 2010 13:00 yandere991 wrote:
I don't know why most people still think protoss is alone with the "highly effective yet easy to pull off" build. When off racing as terran in custom games despite not knowing a clear build order I can beat protoss at 1700 rating (a bit above my level) by only knowing that 2 reactor-ed raxxes with a scouting factory and 2 tech lab-ed starports will net me wins against protosses much much much better than me.

Totally agreed. The same holds true for the 2-3 thor or the 8 thor scv-repair push as zerg. Before I knew how to properly respond to that I lost 2-3 games against low-apm scrubs and I bet there are many "ok players" which will lose to that.
Sc2 has so many hard counters that you can easily lose against strats you haven't encountered before.
Be Nice, Be Fair, Be Mannered.
Prev 1 12 13 14 15 16 29 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
INu's Battles
20:00
INu's Battles#21
Zoun vs herOLIVE!
SHIN vs TBD
IntoTheiNu 1321
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 266
Rex 84
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 56783
Calm 3815
Shuttle 3472
FanTaSy 1710
Bisu 1527
firebathero 374
Stork 295
Mini 288
Hyuk 283
Rush 262
[ Show more ]
Soma 240
EffOrt 230
Soulkey 186
Zeus 180
Last 152
actioN 146
Light 144
ZerO 139
Snow 110
Mong 73
Dewaltoss 69
Killer 68
Sea.KH 66
Barracks 65
Pusan 51
hero 47
Hyun 42
NotJumperer 39
PianO 39
JYJ 38
Free 37
Bale 34
ToSsGirL 34
Shinee 33
Yoon 29
Aegong 27
Shine 23
Sharp 22
sorry 21
yabsab 17
Sacsri 14
HiyA 11
Noble 11
Icarus 4
Dota 2
Gorgc5522
Dendi696
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1377
kRYSTAL_316
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King102
Heroes of the Storm
Lowko407
Other Games
gofns36412
singsing2077
B2W.Neo614
hiko255
DeMusliM233
crisheroes221
byalli155
Livibee148
Hui .27
ZerO(Twitch)10
Liquid`VortiX8
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV208
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream17
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 8
[ Show 9 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 44
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
OSC
4m
OSC
9h 19m
Replay Cast
10h 4m
OSC
1d 10h
Big Brain Bouts
1d 21h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.