• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:55
CEST 13:55
KST 20:55
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20264Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Sagi.gg Launcher Released SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8476 users

The 100 Four Gate Challenge - Page 12

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 14 29 Next All
tetramaster
Profile Joined July 2010
Canada253 Posts
November 25 2010 01:14 GMT
#221
On November 25 2010 10:02 sjschmidt93 wrote:
I hate how people say "good players don't lose to x strategy". Most of these are cheeses, including 4 gates, six pools, and proxy gates/raxes, however GSL players get knocked out by these things all the time.


4 gate is NOT a cheese, unless we're talking about attempting to get a pylon in the enemy base (Korean 4-gate)

It's an all-in. Please pound the difference into your skull.
haegN
Profile Joined July 2009
Norway547 Posts
November 25 2010 01:17 GMT
#222
On November 25 2010 10:14 tetramaster wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 25 2010 10:02 sjschmidt93 wrote:
I hate how people say "good players don't lose to x strategy". Most of these are cheeses, including 4 gates, six pools, and proxy gates/raxes, however GSL players get knocked out by these things all the time.


4 gate is NOT a cheese, unless we're talking about attempting to get a pylon in the enemy base (Korean 4-gate)

It's an all-in. Please pound the difference into your skull.


4 gate on steppes of war. MMMMM, they can even scout it and its hard.. :D
None can give you skills, ubermicro, wins or anything. If you are man - you take it!
mvpAKAenvyME
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada179 Posts
November 25 2010 02:21 GMT
#223
On November 25 2010 10:17 haegN wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 25 2010 10:14 tetramaster wrote:
On November 25 2010 10:02 sjschmidt93 wrote:
I hate how people say "good players don't lose to x strategy". Most of these are cheeses, including 4 gates, six pools, and proxy gates/raxes, however GSL players get knocked out by these things all the time.


4 gate is NOT a cheese, unless we're talking about attempting to get a pylon in the enemy base (Korean 4-gate)

It's an all-in. Please pound the difference into your skull.


4 gate on steppes of war. MMMMM, they can even scout it and its hard.. :D


Its still not a cheese. You dont cut probe production, and you don't HAVE to make any sort of proxy. Its a 4 gate build, doesnt mean you HAVE to use any gateways at all. If you see an opportunity to expand 5 times before making any units, you could TECHNICALLY make 50 gateways before making so much as a zealot. Sorry, 4 gate will never be cheese, there is no cheese, its all in the game. The only thing that could be considered "cheese" is when a player pulls off 4 or more workers to send with their attack, then thats more of a cheese. People ALWAYS complain when other players find a different way to win that they have never seen before. People need to just suck it up and stop complaining about losing. Seriously.
MICHELLE
Profile Joined June 2010
Korea (South)199 Posts
November 25 2010 02:28 GMT
#224
On November 25 2010 09:01 CharlieMurphy wrote:
any of you cocksuckers wanna do 100 4gates vs my zerg?


thats not very nice, I'm quoting so maybe a mod could take care of him?
Artosis, he's like that moss that grows on a tree that lets you know where the sun is
KevinIX
Profile Joined October 2009
United States2472 Posts
November 25 2010 02:32 GMT
#225
Holding off a 4-gate is one of the most stressful things in the world. Shame on you for making this challenge.
Liquid FIGHTING!!!
Spartan
Profile Blog Joined July 2005
United States2030 Posts
November 25 2010 02:35 GMT
#226
Good luck to everyone going for the challenge.
# http://nkspartan.com (web engineer)
# TL member since July 2005; CEO of Vile Gaming; President of Team Vile
mvpAKAenvyME
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada179 Posts
November 25 2010 05:36 GMT
#227
Haven't you people seen the zerg that uses no queens and beats a 4 gate push?
haegN
Profile Joined July 2009
Norway547 Posts
November 25 2010 07:42 GMT
#228
No, mvp, could you provide replay/VOD?
None can give you skills, ubermicro, wins or anything. If you are man - you take it!
Salivanth
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Australia1071 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-16 13:11:10
November 25 2010 08:13 GMT
#229
Name/ID: Salivanth.254
Division: Silver
Points before "Hundred 4Gate Challenge": 1201 (557 bonus pool)
Final score: 24-26
Replay pack: Not happening (I suck, you really don't want to watch them, and I didn't complete the challenge)

This is a good challenge for me: Often I'll lose a game because I have no idea what build I'm gonna do when I enter the game and scramble for an idea. I've actually been like "Okay, so I might FE, oh, I just threw down a Gateway, guess I'll go robo this game", so this will allow me to focus.

100 straight games of 4-Gate should allow me to learn that build, then keep it in my toolbox, forever, even if I 4-gate 6 times a year afterwards.

Plus, once we've done that we'll move on to the 100 Slightly-More-Macro-Based-Build Challenge (I'm thinking some sort of Robo build)

P.S: In the build I use, I cut probes at 30, and get 3 waves of units on top of my initial gateway units, attacking with 7 Zealots, 6 Stalkers, and 2 Sentries (60 food, so fairly late).

EDIT: I've decided to discontinue my attempt at 50 matches. I learnt some stuff about micro, practiced the build, and now it's time to move on to either 2-Gate Robo, or, if I'm addicted to losing for a while, FE.
<@Wikt> so you are one of those nega-fans <@Wikt> that hates the company that makes a game and everything they stand for <@Wikt> but still plays the game <@Wikt> (like roughly 30% of blizzard's player base, maybe much more...)
Truefire
Profile Joined August 2010
United States226 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-25 22:24:20
November 25 2010 09:58 GMT
#230
On November 25 2010 17:13 Salivanth wrote:
Name/ID: Salivanth.254
Division: Silver
Points before "Hundred 4Gate Challenge": 1201 (557 bonus pool)
Final score: Unknown
Replay pack: Probably not for a couple of months if I stick with this, I don't play much.

This is a good challenge for me: Often I'll lose a game because I have no idea what build I'm gonna do when I enter the game and scramble for an idea. I've actually been like "Okay, so I might FE, oh, I just threw down a Gateway, guess I'll go robo this game", so this will allow me to focus.

100 straight games of 4-Gate should allow me to learn that build, then keep it in my toolbox, forever, even if I 4-gate 6 times a year afterwards.

Plus, once we've done that we'll move on to the 100 Slightly-More-Macro-Based-Build Challenge (I'm thinking some sort of Robo build)

If you want to learn fundamentals, I'd suggest going 2 Gate-Robo every game instead of 4 gate. It allows you to be aggressive or sit back and macro. You could figure out your own variation of it and make several different options out of it. If you do 4 Gate every game, you're forced to do early pressure that kills your opponent or puts you extremely far ahead and if it fails you're screwed. 2 Gate Robo on the other hand allows you to put on some early pressure and follow up with several possible builds to play out the game.
roliax
Profile Joined May 2010
135 Posts
November 25 2010 11:23 GMT
#231
All the 4-gaters in GSL lose. This also helps explain why there are so few P in high level play but so many on the ladder.

4-gating will make you a mediocre player and probably get you high on the ladder. 4-gating may even earn you a few wins in tourneys and what not. But, it will never produce a good player or a winner. 2 GSLs and no P in the top 4 with only 5 advancing so far in GSL 3 with a large number of P doing some 4-gate and losing.

Moral: 4-gate if you like mediocracy and don't want to get better.
Ksyper
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Bulgaria665 Posts
November 25 2010 11:30 GMT
#232
Woohoo here come some free wins for me
I love when a toss 4 gates me.
WarSong
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada126 Posts
November 25 2010 12:48 GMT
#233
If you wan't to learn fundamentals...

this made me giggle.
maybe short for wan not?
Til water is gone, til shade is gone: into the Blight with teeth bared, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
ecomania
Profile Joined February 2008
Germany35 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-25 13:31:41
November 25 2010 13:12 GMT
#234
My main race is zerg and I've never played toss before, but I'm gonna give this a try ^^

Name/ID: ecomania
Division: Diamond
Points before "Hundred 4Gate Challenge": 572 (1233 Bonus pool)
Points x Games into challenge: ~
Final score: Unknown
Replay pack: When it's done
Darren1337
Profile Joined October 2010
Ireland73 Posts
November 25 2010 13:31 GMT
#235
On November 24 2010 15:41 b_unnies wrote:
i'd much prefer to have Protoss do a challenge where they don't go 4 gate for 100 games

Quoted for truth.
Uniden!
graxx
Profile Joined November 2010
Netherlands13 Posts
November 25 2010 14:14 GMT
#236
I think this is a good initiative!

I'm also mixing 10 different builds and none of them are refined at all.

I just started 1 hour ago and won't be able to play a lot currently but should be ok.

Name/ID: graxx
Division: Diamond
Points before "Hundred 4Gate Challenge": 1176 (850 Bonus pool)
Points 2 Games into challenge: 1232
Final score: Unknown
Replay pack: end of the year I hope
Stratos_speAr
Profile Joined May 2009
United States6959 Posts
November 25 2010 14:19 GMT
#237
On November 25 2010 20:23 roliax wrote:
All the 4-gaters in GSL lose. This also helps explain why there are so few P in high level play but so many on the ladder.

4-gating will make you a mediocre player and probably get you high on the ladder. 4-gating may even earn you a few wins in tourneys and what not. But, it will never produce a good player or a winner. 2 GSLs and no P in the top 4 with only 5 advancing so far in GSL 3 with a large number of P doing some 4-gate and losing.

Moral: 4-gate if you like mediocracy and don't want to get better.


Second this. I hate seeing 4-Gate Protoss players. It promotes crappy macro play and little variation in Protoss play.
A sound mind in a sound body, is a short, but full description of a happy state in this World: he that has these two, has little more to wish for; and he that wants either of them, will be little the better for anything else.
Twistacles
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Canada1327 Posts
November 25 2010 14:35 GMT
#238
I only use 4-gate when I'm playing a Bo3 or a series of some kind. It's pretty useless on ladder.
"If you don't give a shit which gum you buy, get stride" - Tyler
Emperor_Earth
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States824 Posts
November 25 2010 14:40 GMT
#239
On November 25 2010 23:35 Twistacles wrote:
I only use 4-gate when I'm playing a Bo3 or a series of some kind. It's pretty useless on ladder.


This man lies. Don't trust him!

Sup Twist.
@Emperor_Earth ------- "Amat Victoria Curam."
Centorian
Profile Joined March 2010
United States95 Posts
November 25 2010 14:44 GMT
#240
If you know a 4 gate is coming it is easy enough to hold against. What is annoying is that the build is so ridiculously easy to execute. Players with far inferior mechanics can win against better players just because Protoss happens to have one build that requires no skill and can win you games up into mid-high diamond.
Insert witty statement here.
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 14 29 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
INu's Battles
20:00
INu's Battles#21
Zoun vs herOLIVE!
SHIN vs TBD
IntoTheiNu 674
LiquipediaDiscussion
The PondCast
19:00
Episode 112
CranKy Ducklings SOOP8
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko385
OGKoka 223
Rex 63
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 52392
Calm 3799
Shuttle 1951
Bisu 1176
FanTaSy 921
firebathero 375
Zeus 345
Hyuk 277
Stork 247
Soma 228
[ Show more ]
actioN 205
Mini 204
Rush 164
Soulkey 156
EffOrt 134
Light 134
Last 131
ZerO 83
Snow 83
Mong 76
Dewaltoss 69
Pusan 63
NotJumperer 47
Free 41
Sea.KH 41
Killer 39
Bale 39
JYJ 38
Shinee 33
Barracks 32
ToSsGirL 31
hero 27
Shine 25
Noble 23
Sharp 22
sorry 22
yabsab 22
Yoon 21
Aegong 19
HiyA 15
Sacsri 13
PianO 10
Dota 2
Gorgc5202
Dendi521
League of Legends
JimRising 301
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1413
kRYSTAL_171
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King97
Other Games
gofns37703
singsing1902
B2W.Neo464
crisheroes281
DeMusliM187
Livibee70
ZerO(Twitch)2
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV199
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream33
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 8
[ Show 9 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 43
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
OSC
1h 5m
OSC
10h 20m
Replay Cast
11h 5m
OSC
1d 11h
Big Brain Bouts
1d 22h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.