• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:20
CEST 01:20
KST 08:20
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8535 users

The 100 Four Gate Challenge

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 27 28 29 Next All
haegN
Profile Joined July 2009
Norway547 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-26 11:38:07
November 24 2010 06:25 GMT
#1
First Five to complete challenge:

1. Drunken.Jedi
2.
3.
4.
5.

Hello fellow TL-ers!

I am here to present a challenge, just like in a training program or whatever.

The Koreans like to practise only one build, so I figured, why not practise 4 gate? Im currently on my 11th match straight 4 gating my way through ladder.

I want you to play 100 games as protoss doing only 4 gate. No matter what happens, you MUST 4 gate and attack. After you 4 gate and try to attack you can do whatever you want.

Then upload your 100 replays pack and state how many points you were in the ladder before you started your challenge, and how many points you were after (you can also post updates as you go.)

How to 4 gate

I think most TL-ers know how to 4 gate (or do they? o.0)

There are many different variations, I use the one were I stop producing probes when I'm at 20 probes, and only chronoboost the nexus once (at 10 supply).

Replay:

http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/108543-1v1-protoss-zerg-blistering-sands


How to respond to this thread

Here is a template for all you lazy people on how you respond to this thread:

Name/ID: HaegeN.800
Division: Diamond
Points before "Hundred 4Gate Challenge": 1767 (0 Bonus pool)
Points 63 Games into challenge: 2076
Final score: Unknown
Replay pack: Coming SOON ( and not in the blizzard sense)

Final Note

I would like to say: "LET THE 4 GATE BEGIN", but it began early beta so I shall only say:

Live long and 4 gate! \\//^


EDIT I am doing this because I didnt use to 4 gate that much, and I wanted to see what it would be like So that question is answered before its asked

To the people whining about 4 gate
+ Show Spoiler +
"Hate to break it to you guys, but if you lose, you got OUT PLAYED, and you have NO reason to whine and cry over the internet and talk trash to players who just BEAT you. After all, when you beat someone, you don't look back and go "oh wow I was such a dick in that game for seige pushing all the way accross the map with missle turrets" no. That's what you do to win."
None can give you skills, ubermicro, wins or anything. If you are man - you take it!
Durn
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada360 Posts
November 24 2010 06:27 GMT
#2
As a Zerg ladder player, this makes me sad. The 4gate is a ridiculous build to hold at any skill level.
"Even if I lose 100 games, that's 100 different arrows pointing me in the wrong direction." - Sean Day[9] Plott
haegN
Profile Joined July 2009
Norway547 Posts
November 24 2010 06:28 GMT
#3
You should try to do the challenge, maybe you will learn a thing or two about holding it off =)
None can give you skills, ubermicro, wins or anything. If you are man - you take it!
N3rV[Green]
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States1935 Posts
November 24 2010 06:29 GMT
#4
The first day...or maybe second day after release I decided to try out the protoss pieces after I made a bunch of reapers as T.

My first thought was something along the lines of "Hey, pretty sure I heard something about making 4 gates and then winning..."

So I made 4 gates, and I won. I named the replay something along the lines of "that was just mean"

I try not to 4 gate anymore xD
Never fear the darkness, Bran. The strongest trees are rooted in the dark places of the earth. Darkness will be your cloak, your shield, your mother's milk. Darkness will make you strong.
Trebis
Profile Joined March 2010
United States182 Posts
November 24 2010 06:30 GMT
#5
You forgot to add--all the players that have already been 4 gating for hundreds of games need to STOP and track their rating for another 100.
Are your friends all noobs? Send them to SC2 Noob School! www.youtube.com/sc2noobschool
Durn
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada360 Posts
November 24 2010 06:30 GMT
#6
I was a Protoss player who got to 1700 Diamond by 4gating. Not even joking. I know the build in and out and how much aggression can be on my doorstep at around the 7 minute mark. I also know that once I stopped 4gating I got crushed back into platinum. Hence the race switch.

I'm not calling it imba or anything, in fact I welcome this on the ladder now that I think about it. I need more practice against it. All the protoss practice partners I have don't really do it often.
"Even if I lose 100 games, that's 100 different arrows pointing me in the wrong direction." - Sean Day[9] Plott
MOOG
Profile Joined October 2010
United States188 Posts
November 24 2010 06:31 GMT
#7
Im gonna watch your replay that you linked to, but before I do i want to ask you-do you think you executed your build well in that replay?
To Do: 1. finish the rest of my practice league matches 2. win GSL
MementoMori
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada419 Posts
November 24 2010 06:32 GMT
#8
On November 24 2010 15:30 Trebis wrote:
You forgot to add--all the players that have already been 4 gating for hundreds of games need to STOP and track their rating for another 100.


lol I totally support this
for the world is hollow and I have touched the sky
HyAjO
Profile Joined October 2010
United States51 Posts
November 24 2010 06:32 GMT
#9
its not ridiculous at all to hold? easily scoutable by keeping drone alive, and enuff colonies at your nat = protoss already behind as you tech muta and they grab their nat, the harrassment begins as you toggle between their main and nat doing all types of economic dmg.. 4 gate often fails and just turns out like any other failed all-in, with the player being far behind with no higher tech.. you can gain advantage in many ways vs this build, by teching quicker or holding your expansion... think of it this way.. if you kill the p units with a ling surround/roach and not allow him to retreat his stalkers to reinforce, dont you see how ahead you are? as protoss i have stopped using 4 gate altogether unless the match calls for it..
Guard
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada43 Posts
November 24 2010 06:33 GMT
#10
The more important question is how does a particular challenge affect one's skill level. I would definitely do one of these if it involved a long term build. Are we allowed not to all in? Can we transition into something?
haegN
Profile Joined July 2009
Norway547 Posts
November 24 2010 06:33 GMT
#11
Trebis, if you've been straight up 4 gating for hundreds of games this obviously is not for you, I just thought it would be fun to see how peoples rating change and such.

And there is way too many zergs on the ladder now, they need some more 4 gates in the face..

btw tip for Zergs: scout and kill the reinforcement pylon
None can give you skills, ubermicro, wins or anything. If you are man - you take it!
haegN
Profile Joined July 2009
Norway547 Posts
November 24 2010 06:35 GMT
#12
On November 24 2010 15:31 MOOG wrote:
Im gonna watch your replay that you linked to, but before I do i want to ask you-do you think you executed your build well in that replay?


I think I executed it fairly well, I'm by no means a good player or anything. If you see any clear mistakes please let me know,
None can give you skills, ubermicro, wins or anything. If you are man - you take it!
haegN
Profile Joined July 2009
Norway547 Posts
November 24 2010 06:36 GMT
#13
On November 24 2010 15:33 Guard wrote:
The more important question is how does a particular challenge affect one's skill level. I would definitely do one of these if it involved a long term build. Are we allowed not to all in? Can we transition into something?


You can definately transition, the point is just to open 4 gate and try to attack.
None can give you skills, ubermicro, wins or anything. If you are man - you take it!
lac29
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
United States1485 Posts
November 24 2010 06:36 GMT
#14
I think this would be pretty interesting to see ... 100 games is a lot.
haegN
Profile Joined July 2009
Norway547 Posts
November 24 2010 06:38 GMT
#15
On November 24 2010 15:36 lac29 wrote:
I think this would be pretty interesting to see ... 100 games is a lot.


It is not really that many games when you 4 gate, you see each game lasts between 8-10 minutes, 100 games equals maybe 1200 minutes which is roughly 20 hours of playtime.

Maybe I play too much computer but I don't think that it is really that much..

And 50 4 gate challenge would not sound as good. 100 is a good number.
None can give you skills, ubermicro, wins or anything. If you are man - you take it!
KillerPlague
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1386 Posts
November 24 2010 06:38 GMT
#16
4 gates are pretty much nullified at higher levels, but if you're low enough i'm sure you can gain tons of points and master it quite well after 100 games
Side 1: Why no dominant players with 90% win ratio Side 2: Nerf Side 1
haegN
Profile Joined July 2009
Norway547 Posts
November 24 2010 06:39 GMT
#17
On November 24 2010 15:38 KillerPlague wrote:
4 gates are pretty much nullified at higher levels, but if you're low enough i'm sure you can gain tons of points and master it quite well after 100 games


Well to be honest I think you can't 4 gate each game and win in higher level, but the occasional 4 gate can net you wins for sure.

I think opticzero won versus Tyler that way.
None can give you skills, ubermicro, wins or anything. If you are man - you take it!
b_unnies
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
3579 Posts
November 24 2010 06:41 GMT
#18
i'd much prefer to have Protoss do a challenge where they don't go 4 gate for 100 games
MOOG
Profile Joined October 2010
United States188 Posts
November 24 2010 06:42 GMT
#19
On November 24 2010 15:35 haegN wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 24 2010 15:31 MOOG wrote:
Im gonna watch your replay that you linked to, but before I do i want to ask you-do you think you executed your build well in that replay?


I think I executed it fairly well, I'm by no means a good player or anything. If you see any clear mistakes please let me know,


I just watched it. I didnt see any mistakes in your play, and even if you did make mistakes I couldn't tell you, because i'm just an average zerg.

You really caught him with his pants down. nice job. I think it was odd how his scouting drone, his later one, didn't get attacked by your zealot when it tried to run through your choke. and he STILL pulled the drone back. odd decision making on the zerg's part.
To Do: 1. finish the rest of my practice league matches 2. win GSL
Sheekthief
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States267 Posts
November 24 2010 06:43 GMT
#20
Well now I have a real reason for avoiding ladder. tt
Commentator at RageQuit.tv | www.RageQuit.tv |
1 2 3 4 5 27 28 29 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 40m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ViBE125
CosmosSc2 47
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 610
Artosis 519
910 28
Dota 2
monkeys_forever632
Counter-Strike
minikerr13
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5786
Other Games
summit1g7834
JimRising 559
shahzam557
C9.Mang0278
ArmadaUGS85
Trikslyr47
ZombieGrub31
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick609
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream147
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 127
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Noizen246
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
40m
Kung Fu Cup
11h 40m
Stellar Fest
13h 40m
The PondCast
1d 10h
OSC
1d 13h
Stellar Fest
1d 13h
OSC
2 days
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
[ Show More ]
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.