• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:25
CEST 08:25
KST 15:25
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon102Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ StarCraft Human 'N' AI League
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11156 users

A Korean fan explains why he hates KeSPA - Page 17

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 15 16 17 18 19 26 Next All
Mioraka
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada1353 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-15 02:18:24
November 15 2010 02:17 GMT
#321
On November 15 2010 11:05 Onisparda wrote:
What is with everyone pretending to be IP experts and stating random shit as if they were facts.


Because obviously we are more informed on the matter than you are?

I know this since I've been educated on contract law and talk about it with my prof, some of the others talked about it because they are undergrad in law, and you clearly don't know shit since you can't differentiate "well known legal cases" and "random shit".

grobo
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
Japan6199 Posts
November 15 2010 02:22 GMT
#322
The guy is completely right, the only people that agree with KESPA in this matter are the young SC1 fanboys that refuse to let go and roll with the times, i was sort of like that during the SC2 beta but quickly realized that i was just being stubborn. Ever since the first lawsuit, i was browsing the threads wondering what the fuck was going on here when i saw people defending KESPA. Yes, it's somewhat shitty of Blizzard to wait with the lawsuit right until SC2 drops, but they have all the right in the world to do this. They own the rights to Starcraft 2, KESPA is making a profit off their game without out Blizzards consent.

I seriously can not understand what KESPA is trying to achieve with this, they have absolutely no case.
We make signature, then defense it.
FrostOtter
Profile Joined September 2010
United States537 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-15 02:23:27
November 15 2010 02:22 GMT
#323
On November 15 2010 11:17 Mioraka wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 15 2010 11:05 Onisparda wrote:
What is with everyone pretending to be IP experts and stating random shit as if they were facts.


Because obviously we are more informed on the matter than you are?

I know this since I've been educated on contract law and talk about it with my prof, some of the others talked about it because they are undergrad in law, and you clearly don't know shit since you can't differentiate "well known legal cases" and "random shit".


If undergrads knew enough to speak intelligently on a subject then they wouldn't be undergrads. No offense, and I'm sure one day you will be really great in your field, but saying you know what you are talking about because you are an undergrad is like saying you know what life is like because you are in high school.

You might know more than Joe Nobody, but you don't know enough to speak accurately on the subject-- you can just speculate a little more carefully than people outside of the field.

Again, not trying to be offensive, just pointing out that your credentials don't amount to much (though they are more than mine, I only minored in polisci when I was an undergrad).


Edit: Like the guy above me said, I too was pretty skeptical of SC2 when it was announced and during beta. I played BW from like 99 onward, so it was a big change-- but then one of my friends forced me to play SC2, and I haven't looked back.
Chef
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
10810 Posts
November 15 2010 02:29 GMT
#324
I have some feeling this doesn't give a very complete picture. It paints KeSPA as completely evil, but then why did MBCgame and OGN agree to pay fees to them in the first place, if they are just some random bastards? Surely they must have got something in return?
LEGEND!! LEGEND!!
Firereaver
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
India1701 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-15 02:32:20
November 15 2010 02:31 GMT
#325
On November 15 2010 11:22 FrostOtter wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 15 2010 11:17 Mioraka wrote:
On November 15 2010 11:05 Onisparda wrote:
What is with everyone pretending to be IP experts and stating random shit as if they were facts.


Because obviously we are more informed on the matter than you are?

I know this since I've been educated on contract law and talk about it with my prof, some of the others talked about it because they are undergrad in law, and you clearly don't know shit since you can't differentiate "well known legal cases" and "random shit".


If undergrads knew enough to speak intelligently on a subject then they wouldn't be undergrads. No offense, and I'm sure one day you will be really great in your field, but saying you know what you are talking about because you are an undergrad is like saying you know what life is like because you are in high school.

You might know more than Joe Nobody, but you don't know enough to speak accurately on the subject-- you can just speculate a little more carefully than people outside of the field.

Again, not trying to be offensive, just pointing out that your credentials don't amount to much (though they are more than mine, I only minored in polisci when I was an undergrad).


Edit: Like the guy above me said, I too was pretty skeptical of SC2 when it was announced and during beta. I played BW from like 99 onward, so it was a big change-- but then one of my friends forced me to play SC2, and I haven't looked back.

I think both of you are on the same side of the argument and you're calling shit on him. Why?
"They drone drone drone , me win" - JangMinChul(Iron/oGsMC)
Onisparda
Profile Joined November 2008
Canada516 Posts
November 15 2010 02:34 GMT
#326
On November 15 2010 11:17 Mioraka wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 15 2010 11:05 Onisparda wrote:
What is with everyone pretending to be IP experts and stating random shit as if they were facts.


Because obviously we are more informed on the matter than you are?

I know this since I've been educated on contract law and talk about it with my prof, some of the others talked about it because they are undergrad in law, and you clearly don't know shit since you can't differentiate "well known legal cases" and "random shit".



Well then, tell me more about these "well known legal cases" on IP in the esport industry which is still in its infancy and probably still doesnt even have legal precendent.
FrostOtter
Profile Joined September 2010
United States537 Posts
November 15 2010 02:36 GMT
#327
On November 15 2010 11:31 Firereaver wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 15 2010 11:22 FrostOtter wrote:
On November 15 2010 11:17 Mioraka wrote:
On November 15 2010 11:05 Onisparda wrote:
What is with everyone pretending to be IP experts and stating random shit as if they were facts.


Because obviously we are more informed on the matter than you are?

I know this since I've been educated on contract law and talk about it with my prof, some of the others talked about it because they are undergrad in law, and you clearly don't know shit since you can't differentiate "well known legal cases" and "random shit".


If undergrads knew enough to speak intelligently on a subject then they wouldn't be undergrads. No offense, and I'm sure one day you will be really great in your field, but saying you know what you are talking about because you are an undergrad is like saying you know what life is like because you are in high school.

You might know more than Joe Nobody, but you don't know enough to speak accurately on the subject-- you can just speculate a little more carefully than people outside of the field.

Again, not trying to be offensive, just pointing out that your credentials don't amount to much (though they are more than mine, I only minored in polisci when I was an undergrad).


Edit: Like the guy above me said, I too was pretty skeptical of SC2 when it was announced and during beta. I played BW from like 99 onward, so it was a big change-- but then one of my friends forced me to play SC2, and I haven't looked back.

I think both of you are on the same side of the argument and you're calling shit on him. Why?

Because whether I am on the right side of an argument or not doesn't mean that I don't have standards.

Whether we agree that SC is Blizzard's property and they can do whatever or not doesn't mean being in college makes someone an expert on law.

Notice that I haven't claimed to be an expert, just offered my opinions. Which pretty much everyone in this thread should also be doing unless they are indeed a practicing lawyer of some sort.
MayorITC
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Korea (South)798 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-15 02:48:00
November 15 2010 02:43 GMT
#328
After some consideration, here's a summation of the facts as I know them and my opinion on them.

The Past
In 2007, KeSPA sold the broadcasting rights of Proleague to MBC and OGN. OGN/MBC were originally against this because they did not recognize KeSPA as the legal owner of Proleague. But with the professional players and teams backing up KeSPA, OGN and MBC had no room for negotiation.

After the KeSPA and MBC/OGN transaction went down, Blizzard decided to sue OGN and MBC. Why them, instead of KeSPA? There's been some speculation about this by other TL members, but I believe it's for a reason that other people haven't mentioned yet.

Current Situation
Blizzard has NO case against KeSPA.

But how is this possible?! KeSPA was the one selling the broadcasting rights in the first place!

KeSPA sold the broadcasting rights to Proleague, not Starcraft. The parties in trouble are OGN/MBC. Not only do they need to purchase broadcasting rights to Proleague from KeSPA, but they also need to buy broadcasting rights to Starcraft from Blizzard. The latter lets you show the game, while the former lets you show the pros playing. The irony behind this is that out of all the parties involved, MBC/OGN are the most innocent ones. Perhaps, the true champions of e-sports since they are the original creators of the Proleague.

The Future
So what's going to happen?

I'm guessing KeSPA will let MBC/OGN take the fall. KeSPA has shown in the past that they don't give a fuck about MBC/OGN and are willing to find other broadcasters instead. Gretech will fizzle initially because while they have broadcasting licenses to Starcraft, they won't be able to get any pro players to participate. And not many people will wants to watch amateurs. KeSPA, on the other hand, won't have much luck either because while they may find other broadcasting companies, I doubt Blizzard will sell broadcasting rights to any company associated with KeSPA.

From this point on, one of two things can happen:

1) Starcraft 1 e-sports dies.
2) KeSPA disbands; the pro players realize their best chance of continuing their SC1 career is with whatever broadcasting company is backed up by Blizzard

In conclusion, regardless of legalities, Blizzard holds all the chips, However, that doesn't stop me from saying, "Fuck Blizzard and KeSPA."
Mioraka
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada1353 Posts
November 15 2010 02:46 GMT
#329
On November 15 2010 11:22 FrostOtter wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 15 2010 11:17 Mioraka wrote:
On November 15 2010 11:05 Onisparda wrote:
What is with everyone pretending to be IP experts and stating random shit as if they were facts.


Because obviously we are more informed on the matter than you are?

I know this since I've been educated on contract law and talk about it with my prof, some of the others talked about it because they are undergrad in law, and you clearly don't know shit since you can't differentiate "well known legal cases" and "random shit".


If undergrads knew enough to speak intelligently on a subject then they wouldn't be undergrads. No offense, and I'm sure one day you will be really great in your field, but saying you know what you are talking about because you are an undergrad is like saying you know what life is like because you are in high school.

You might know more than Joe Nobody, but you don't know enough to speak accurately on the subject-- you can just speculate a little more carefully than people outside of the field.

Again, not trying to be offensive, just pointing out that your credentials don't amount to much (though they are more than mine, I only minored in polisci when I was an undergrad).


Edit: Like the guy above me said, I too was pretty skeptical of SC2 when it was announced and during beta. I played BW from like 99 onward, so it was a big change-- but then one of my friends forced me to play SC2, and I haven't looked back.


Well, in fact I dont think I am an expert on the matter, since blizzard isnt paying me big bucks for every 10mins I spent on the case. But compare to the guy who claims Blizzard has no IP rights and EULA is non-enforceable because he havent read it. I think I have more than enough knowledge to educate him.

On the other hand, I don't think it requires a license or a PhD to realize some people here dont know wtf they are talking about.

No one is 100% sure on this, even lawyers, because they also have to spend time reading the materials. However, there are simple legal facts that they can just tell you right off the bat without even reading the facts.

Also, almost everywhere there are some who are more informed than others, it shows in their posts clearly, when they see something retarded or ill informed, is it wrong to point out?

Ghost-z
Profile Joined September 2010
United States1291 Posts
November 15 2010 02:48 GMT
#330
I hope Blizzard wins this lawsuit. KeSPA has been pounding their monopoly on BW for far too long and it's starting to disgust me. I hope they learn to co-exist with the GSL and I'm looking forward to a team league for SC2!
Fairy Tales when you're a child begin with "Once upon a time" and when you're an adult begin, "If elected I promise..."
FrostOtter
Profile Joined September 2010
United States537 Posts
November 15 2010 02:52 GMT
#331
On November 15 2010 11:46 Mioraka wrote:
[

Well, in fact I dont think I am an expert on the matter, since blizzard isnt paying me big bucks for every 10mins I spent on the case. But compare to the guy who claims Blizzard has no IP rights and EULA is non-enforceable because he havent read it. I think I have more than enough knowledge to educate him.

I agree.

On the other hand, I don't think it requires a license or a PhD to realize some people here dont know wtf they are talking about.

Again, I agree.


Also, almost everywhere there are some who are more informed than others, it shows in their posts clearly, when they see something retarded or ill informed, is it wrong to point out?


No, it is not wrong. It just seemed to me the undergrad thing was as silly as the PhD-claiming guy, because really one only needed common sense to point out he was wrong.

On the other hand, I re-read your post and think I misunderstood the tone, so I apologize for me being grumpy (I never learn to stop posting when I'm tired).

Mioraka
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada1353 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-15 03:00:06
November 15 2010 02:55 GMT
#332
On November 15 2010 11:34 Onisparda wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 15 2010 11:17 Mioraka wrote:
On November 15 2010 11:05 Onisparda wrote:
What is with everyone pretending to be IP experts and stating random shit as if they were facts.


Because obviously we are more informed on the matter than you are?

I know this since I've been educated on contract law and talk about it with my prof, some of the others talked about it because they are undergrad in law, and you clearly don't know shit since you can't differentiate "well known legal cases" and "random shit".



Well then, tell me more about these "well known legal cases" on IP in the esport industry which is still in its infancy and probably still doesnt even have legal precendent.


Sure, laws on this area still need to be worked on.

But claiming a company has no IP rights on a game it created is simply idiotic, not reading the EULA and click "I Accept" makes it unenforceable even more so. And, although I didn't read the EULA for starcraft, but I suspect they would've put something along the lines of "you are not authorized to use it for commercial purposes".

Which is exactly what these people have been doing.

Of course, court won't enforce everything on the contract, but it does provide ground for a reasonable guess.

Which is, MBC/OGN have no case.
azhang
Profile Joined June 2010
United States178 Posts
November 15 2010 02:57 GMT
#333
and Obama commanded that we shall start a WW3, with Lost Temple, as the battleground!
Nydus in yo main.
TheGreatHegemon
Profile Joined September 2010
61 Posts
November 15 2010 03:02 GMT
#334
On November 15 2010 11:55 Mioraka wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 15 2010 11:34 Onisparda wrote:
On November 15 2010 11:17 Mioraka wrote:
On November 15 2010 11:05 Onisparda wrote:
What is with everyone pretending to be IP experts and stating random shit as if they were facts.


Because obviously we are more informed on the matter than you are?

I know this since I've been educated on contract law and talk about it with my prof, some of the others talked about it because they are undergrad in law, and you clearly don't know shit since you can't differentiate "well known legal cases" and "random shit".



Well then, tell me more about these "well known legal cases" on IP in the esport industry which is still in its infancy and probably still doesnt even have legal precendent.


Sure, laws on this area still need to be worked on.

But claiming a company has no IP rights on a game it created is simply idiotic, not reading the EULA and click "I Accept" makes it unenforceable even more so. And, although I didn't read the EULA for starcraft, but I suspect they would've put something along the lines of "you are not authorized to use it for commercial purposes".

Which is exactly what these people have been doing.

Of course, court won't enforce everything on the contract, but it does provide ground for a reasonable guess.

Which is, MBC/OGN have no case.


No matter which side of the argument your own, people will agree that Blizzard is the only party legally allowed to sell the game itself. The use of that game (Such as for pro-league), is what the argument's about.
Mioraka
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada1353 Posts
November 15 2010 03:02 GMT
#335
On November 15 2010 11:43 MayorITC wrote:
After some consideration, here's a summation of the facts as I know them and my opinion on them.

The Past
In 2007, KeSPA sold the broadcasting rights of Proleague to MBC and OGN. OGN/MBC were originally against this because they did not recognize KeSPA as the legal owner of Proleague. But with the professional players and teams backing up KeSPA, OGN and MBC had no room for negotiation.

After the KeSPA and MBC/OGN transaction went down, Blizzard decided to sue OGN and MBC. Why them, instead of KeSPA? There's been some speculation about this by other TL members, but I believe it's for a reason that other people haven't mentioned yet.

Current Situation
Blizzard has NO case against KeSPA.

But how is this possible?! KeSPA was the one selling the broadcasting rights in the first place!

KeSPA sold the broadcasting rights to Proleague, not Starcraft. The parties in trouble are OGN/MBC. Not only do they need to purchase broadcasting rights to Proleague from KeSPA, but they also need to buy broadcasting rights to Starcraft from Blizzard. The latter lets you show the game, while the former lets you show the pros playing. The irony behind this is that out of all the parties involved, MBC/OGN are the most innocent ones. Perhaps, the true champions of e-sports since they are the original creators of the Proleague.

The Future
So what's going to happen?

I'm guessing KeSPA will let MBC/OGN take the fall. KeSPA has shown in the past that they don't give a fuck about MBC/OGN and are willing to find other broadcasters instead. Gretech will fizzle initially because while they have broadcasting licenses to Starcraft, they won't be able to get any pro players to participate. And not many people will wants to watch amateurs. KeSPA, on the other hand, won't have much luck either because while they may find other broadcasting companies, I doubt Blizzard will sell broadcasting rights to any company associated with KeSPA.

From this point on, one of two things can happen:

1) Starcraft 1 e-sports dies.
2) KeSPA disbands; the pro players realize their best chance of continuing their SC1 career is with whatever broadcasting company is backed up by Blizzard

In conclusion, regardless of legalities, Blizzard holds all the chips, However, that doesn't stop me from saying, "Fuck Blizzard and KeSPA."



Thanks for the information, I was wondering why Blizzard wouldnt sue KeSPA instead of those two, but of course these lawyers earning huge salaries would know what to do more than us.

They would only go to court if they think they can win, or they think they can generate more chips on the table for negotiation.
Mioraka
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada1353 Posts
November 15 2010 03:04 GMT
#336
On November 15 2010 12:02 TheGreatHegemon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 15 2010 11:55 Mioraka wrote:
On November 15 2010 11:34 Onisparda wrote:
On November 15 2010 11:17 Mioraka wrote:
On November 15 2010 11:05 Onisparda wrote:
What is with everyone pretending to be IP experts and stating random shit as if they were facts.


Because obviously we are more informed on the matter than you are?

I know this since I've been educated on contract law and talk about it with my prof, some of the others talked about it because they are undergrad in law, and you clearly don't know shit since you can't differentiate "well known legal cases" and "random shit".



Well then, tell me more about these "well known legal cases" on IP in the esport industry which is still in its infancy and probably still doesnt even have legal precendent.


Sure, laws on this area still need to be worked on.

But claiming a company has no IP rights on a game it created is simply idiotic, not reading the EULA and click "I Accept" makes it unenforceable even more so. And, although I didn't read the EULA for starcraft, but I suspect they would've put something along the lines of "you are not authorized to use it for commercial purposes".

Which is exactly what these people have been doing.

Of course, court won't enforce everything on the contract, but it does provide ground for a reasonable guess.

Which is, MBC/OGN have no case.


No matter which side of the argument your own, people will agree that Blizzard is the only party legally allowed to sell the game itself. The use of that game (Such as for pro-league), is what the argument's about.


Ya well, i got trolled by that Gonodactylus guy.

Hence what i wrote was mostly directed at his arguments, which made no sense at all.
Neo7
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
United States922 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-15 03:41:02
November 15 2010 03:20 GMT
#337
Heh...I can see why myself as well as some others outside of Korea favor KeSPA while those inside Korea favor Blizzard (they can see how controlling KeSPA is while we see how controlling Blizzard is). I kind of knew that KeSPA was extremely underhanded like that but I had no idea they stooped to actions that low. The way that post was made it seems KeSPA will use any form of business threat from mistreatment of players and whatnot to get their way.

Lesser of two evils...it's really hard to say. Though if what was said in that Korean post, Blizzard is starting to come out the better person. Blizzard at the very least doesn't try to hide it (i.e. stabbing you in the front instead of the back).
It takes an idiot to do cool things.
latan
Profile Joined July 2010
740 Posts
November 15 2010 03:48 GMT
#338
On November 15 2010 11:02 TheRabidDeer wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 15 2010 10:51 latan wrote:
On November 15 2010 06:13 Myles wrote:
On November 15 2010 06:07 latan wrote:
IP is stupid anyway, whoever thought it was possible to own ideas (that are made public)?. returning to the sports analogy:

the manufactures of the equipment, wether it be the ball, the shoes or whatever else, do also own IP rights on all that stuff. what would you thik if they suddenly wanted to charge the stadiums owners a fee for selling broadcasting rights to TV stations?.

I don't think it's such a bad analogy, for the correct analogy, let's imagine for a second that there was actually and inventor and developer of the game of football, would it be right for him to try to control the leagues in such a way?.

when you see a game match wether it is sport or esport you aren't there to see the players or team do their thing, i would say that a match should be owned by the players/teams but this is obviously not a consensus and there won't be any consensus on these matters any time soon. IP rights is a shady area, specially in this digital age.


There is a huge difference between sports and video games. A sport consists mostly of rules. To play basketball, baseball, or soccer all you need to enough people and some things to represent goals, bases, ect. You could play any of those sports without any of the proper equipment and get along just fine.

Compare that with Starcraft, which is much more than just a set of rules. It also has art and programming and without those you're no longer playing Starcraft. Even if you're using a volleyball in a basketball game, you're still playing basketball. That is why sports and e-sports are incomparable.


that is a fair point but i don't see how art + programming = i have a right to control whatever it is that you want to do with the software you BOUGHT from me. since when is the profit aspect of software bussiness considered to go beyond sales?

hypothetically one could invent a game, a physicall one, and also invest some time designing it and whatnot. do you have a right to have control over every single tournament after everyone knows how to play it? the most you could do is patent the equipment and have exclusivity and the sales of it. starcrat is the equipment, they have exclusivity on the sale of it. and they already sold it to you. the ball=software analogy seems perfectly accurate with this point of view. because in all fairness blizzard didn't invent any of the fundamentals of the game. the game is something that goes beyond that, blizzard just made some fine equipment to play it.

Blizzard created this specific game. If KeSPA wanted to create a game that plays the same but has different art/sounds and made the game their own, they have free control over it. I dont know the extent of how similar it can be before copyright comes into play, but they can make their own version and be fine.

No matter how you argue it, blizzard owns and controls SC. That is it, no matter what you argue it wont change it, even if it doesnt make sense to you.

EDIT: What I see some people arguing, is that certain moves are the IP of the players. This doesnt make sense, since they are just operating within the game of BW. If I kick a ball, can I claim that the act of kicking the ball is my IP?


Sense is a keyword here, no matter how much you want to dissmiss it, we're discussing in the abstract here and nothing's set in stone. it does matter if it makes sense or not, the law is behind in these situations and things should make sense or otherwise we're all fucked.

it makes absolutely no sense that blizz can expect to control the use i give to the software i bought if i'm not incurring in taking sales away from them. that is the bottom line for me. they shouldn't be allowed to do this. if the law allows them it's because it's a grey area and things aren't well defined legally, not because it's a fair right of them to have.
papaHav
Profile Joined August 2010
Australia14 Posts
November 15 2010 04:00 GMT
#339
Regardless of the law, Kespa can't both claim SC IP is infact public property and ask for the $$
Low APM diamond
.Aar
Profile Joined September 2010
2177 Posts
November 15 2010 04:04 GMT
#340
Thanks for this. I wasn't exactly clear on what all this drama was about beforehand.

But why is this in the SC2 section?
now run into the setting sun, and suffer, but don't mess up your hair.
Prev 1 15 16 17 18 19 26 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
00:00
2026 GSTL: Grand Finals
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
23:00
OSC Masters Cup #151 Qualifier
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
NeuroSwarm 181
StarCraft: Brood War
soO 523
hero 471
BeSt 267
Mind 32
Bale 21
Noble 13
Terrorterran 11
ZergMaN 9
yabsab 8
Icarus 5
Dota 2
monkeys_forever1009
League of Legends
JimRising 625
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King140
Other Games
summit1g9385
ArmadaUGS62
Livibee39
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick506
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 6
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH360
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2271
League of Legends
• Rush1304
• Stunt438
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
3h 35m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
4h 35m
Monday Night Weeklies
9h 35m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 3h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 3h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 17h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.